tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+22
We Are You
Eartheart
Aquaries1111
hobbit
Lionhawk
Brook
burgundia
lindabaker
Beren
Sanicle
Rasa
starninja
malletzky
icecold
Mercuriel
TRANCOSO
Mariadine
Floyd
mudra
Carol
Vidya Moksha
devakas
26 posters

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts

Rasa
    Rasa

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts - Page 14 Empty Re: Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts

Post  Rasa Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Devakas wrote:
    Rasa, what demons do you have in mind?

But God is Consciousness in All, so there's nothing to fear but fear itself.

This is a little excerpt from Sanicle's signature. That's an answer to your question. We can't progress until we literately clean out our hearts. We are all under the influence of lust, greed and anger. One has to dissolve false ego, the demon within, in order to see reality. Otherwise we are in illusion. False ego is also cause of fear.

Thanks for sharing a nice story.

Last edited by Rasa on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rasa
    Rasa

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts - Page 14 Empty Re: Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts

Post  Rasa Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Devakas wrote:
    How to help humanity in the current mess we are in?

Radhanath Swami answering your question

Rasa
    Rasa

Post  Rasa Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:18 am

Sanicle wrote:
    Must add though that I'm blown away that you can answer those questions

Sanicle, if I can answer those questions it is not at all to my credit. Its only because Vedic knowledge is absolute. It's not ordinary or mundane literature where theories become old and have to be replaced again. More over when one starts to seriously study it and apply it practically to one's life (under expert guidance} it takes the practitioner to unbelievable debts and change in their life. The Vedas are called "kalpa-vriksha" which means a "desire tree where all questions are answered. At the same time other traditions also have an answers and ways to get the same results. There are many ways to the Absolute Truth.

Just a little example. Few years ago I visited an Ayurvedic clinic in south India. My doctor was also professor of Ayurveda of a local collage. By taking my pulse and listening to the description of my symptoms he could locate my problem in those ancient sanskrit texts. More over he selected a part of the manuscript and asked me to read a few pages of an english translation. I went through a few pages and found verse that described my symptoms (along with the cure) so exactly I couldn't have described it better myself. I was struct. Ayurveda contain descriptions of every disease and not just in general way, but also individually according to the persons constitution (kapa, pita, vata, and variations of these). He told me cancer was exactly described in these texts also. According to Indian scholars Ayurveda, as well as all Vedic knowledge, was written down five thousand years ago. Before that it was orally transmitted generation to generation. The doctor told me that Ayurveda also contains information on different methods of surgery including plastic surgery. Only 10% of all the scripts have survived and are available today and even of these only that 10% are so vast that scholars are just scratching the surface. sunny

P.S.I think I am talking too much. Could you please help me with Devakas questions. It would be nice to hear from you too. Hugs
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Vedic Astrology and Cartography - Dr Dennis Harness, Sedona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EElA_0QrKso&feature=channel_video_title

Love Always
    mudra
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:17 am

Thank you Rasa and sister Mudra for your input.

we love cows. enjoy

Rasa
    Rasa

Post  Rasa Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:15 am

IF WE WANT TO CHANGE THE WORLD WE HAVE TO START CHANGING OURSELVES FIRST !

cheers

Last edited by Rasa on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Sanicle
    Sanicle

Post  Sanicle Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:21 am

Rasa wrote:Sanicle wrote:
    Must add though that I'm blown away that you can answer those questions

Sanicle, if I can answer those questions it is not at all to my credit. Its only because Vedic knowledge is absolute. It's not ordinary or mundane literature where theories become old and have to be replaced again. More over when one starts to seriously study it and apply it practically to one's life (under expert guidance} it takes the practitioner to unbelievable debts and change in their life. The Vedas are called "kalpa-vriksha" which means a "desire tree where all questions are answered. At the same time other traditions also have an answers and ways to get the same results. There are many ways to the Absolute Truth.

Just a little example. Few years ago I visited an Ayurvedic clinic in south India. My doctor was also professor of Ayurveda of a local collage. By taking my pulse and listening to the description of my symptoms he could locate my problem in those ancient sanskrit texts. More over he selected a part of the manuscript and asked me to read a few pages of an english translation. I went through a few pages and found verse that described my symptoms (along with the cure) so exactly I couldn't have described it better myself. I was struct. Ayurveda contain descriptions of every disease and not just in general way, but also individually according to the persons constitution (kapa, pita, vata, and variations of these). He told me cancer was exactly described in these texts also. According to Indian scholars Ayurveda, as well as all Vedic knowledge, was written down five thousand years ago. Before that it was orally transmitted generation to generation. The doctor told me that Ayurveda also contains information on different methods of surgery including plastic surgery. Only 10% of all the scripts have survived and are available today and even of these only that 10% are so vast that scholars are just scratching the surface. sunny

P.S.I think I am talking too much. Could you please help me with Devakas questions. It would be nice to hear from you too. Hugs

Rasa and Devakas I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread and am finding a lot of what's written in the Vedas comes down to the same answers I've found through my own searching. But SO much more in much greater detail. It seems the description "a desire tree where all questions are answered" is appropriate. As I haven't studied the Vedas, I don't feel qualified to answer any questions Devakas (or anyone else) has with the same authority you can Rasa, given by your knowledge of the Vedas, especially as this is the theme of the thread. So I feel that what I believe is thus not really appropriate to place here, given this theme, even if it does seem to be basically in accord. I'm just loving the fact that it is in harmony, even though names given to things/beings etc may differ. And that I'm learning so much more, gaining a much more detailed picture, from you both.

But I must say you are both inspiring me to maybe undertake the task of studying the Vedas, which I admit I have avoided thus far after having read far too many convoluted spiritual texts in the past in my search for answers. Excerpts of the Vedas I've seen in the past just didn't inspire me or answer any questions I personally had, but some parts you've both mentioned on this thread do, albeit like I say when I alter 'names'. For instance I'm relating the Devatas you mention Rasa to the manifestations and tasks of Nature Spirits/Devas. But I think I've gained a faster and better understanding of their essence in having associated with a few of them than I would have in just reading about them. In fact I probably wouldn't have known to make the connection at all if I hadn't have experienced what I have personally.

As you say, all paths do seem to lead the same ultimate truths but it's clear the ancient scripts contain a much broader knowledge base than just those that relate to the few experiences I've had personally. But do we need to know every detail or is the desired result that we have that basic understanding of the pattern that underlies all? Obviously if I was a doctor I would enjoy reading the parts that you described in your story above Rasa. If I was a scientist, others would be of help. And I know there are parts that would be of interest to those who would like to more about ETs lol.

And clearly if one were to be a teacher undertaking a study of that 10% of the scripts you say is all that is available these days Rasa would be one's life work. Or at the least, a great place to start one's learning with the help of a teacher who would know which part is most appropriate for each student.

Thanks again for this thread. Lawless

Edit: I should also explain that I do see some of the gods that are worshipped in the Hindu religion to be ancient personages of some power, 'good' and 'bad', so more what you'd call Bhutas Rasa, and also that some are planetary energies/beings ie Nature Devas of a higher more expansive order. But the Devatas you described in Post #323 are what I see as the Nature Spirits of our planet, who do need to be respected in such a manner for "the gifts of Nature".
    Rasa
    Rasa

Post  Rasa Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:12 am

Fascinating information on ghosts and how to avoid becoming one of them

Lecture is given by Ravindra Svarupa (William Deadwyler). He holds an M.A. and Ph.D. in Religion from Temple University and a B.A. in philosophy from the University of Pennsylvania. He has written extensively on Vaishnava philosophy and used his education to further the discourse of Gaudiya Vaishnava Theology. He is the author of Encounter with the Lord of the Universe: Collected Essays 1978-1983 (Washington, DC: Gita Nagari Press, 1984). He also is featured on Shelter's Attaining the Supreme, where he gives a lecture on a hidden track.

Bhutas (ghost) explained Wink
    Sanicle
    Sanicle

Post  Sanicle Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks for posting the link to that lecture Rasa and it seems I owe you an apology. I shouldn't have called all 'ghosts' Bhutas without first looking up exactly what a Bhuta is to Hindus. I admit I do seem to get the beliefs of Hinduism and Buddhism mixed up to a degree but both do look to the Vedas as a source of knowledge.....yes? And, unless I've misunderstood what I've read of Buddhism, they still seem to look to their best gurus for assistance after they pass over and worship them as virtual gods also. Do the Hindus not do this?

But in my response to you earlier, I was lumping all discarnate humans under the term 'ghosts', those who still have some sort of vested interest in relating to those who are incarnate (everything from teaching them through to attempts to possess them) and who have not evolved enough to let go of such ego-driven interests or who are still bound to the lower levels through them in negative ways. And that was to separate them from Devas or Devatas.

So may I ask what term relates to discarnate humans in Hinduism if they are not one nor the other? Surely they don't all manage to return to the higher levels at death with no ties to anyone or anything on the Earth plane.
    Rasa
    Rasa

Post  Rasa Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:49 am

Sanicle wrote:
    As you say, all paths do seem to lead the same ultimate truths but it's clear the ancient scripts contain a much broader knowledge base than just those that relate to the few experiences I've had personally.

THANK YOU SANICLE,
    I fully concur with you that we should look for unity in a various paths of enlightenment rather than differences. The names and rituals may differ but the principal purpose should be the same for any bona fide spritual path in their pure state of the teachings. It also should be understood that the differences in those spiritual paths are due to different geographical locations and different times. If all paths leads to the same ultimate truths so the Supreme Source is one, we are all connected and then it becomes clear that the laws of nature and of a universe are the same to all. Then the question remains only how to find that Absolute Truth, the one that doesn't change.

Sanicle wrote:
    But do we need to know every detail or is the desired result that we have that basic understanding of the pattern that underlies all?
    It depends what our goal is, or were exactly we are on the map. Are we casual about spiritual progress, or do we see it as prime importance. Also it would depend what path we are accepting. For example Bhakti yoga is very precise and detailed. At any point in time the practitioner can check his progress because all the symptoms are described. So one can see if he is sliding down, stagnating, or moving forward. In fact the process so sublime that it gives sustained happiness if every detail is taking care of.
    Bhagavad Gita
    "sarvasya caham hrdi sannivisto mattah smrtir jnanam apohanam ca vedais ca sarvair aham eva vedyo vedanta-krd veda-vid eva caham, (BG 15:15)

"I am seated in everyone's heart, and from Me come remembrance, knowledge and forgetfulness. By all the Vedas I am to be known; indeed I am the compiler of Vedanta, and I am the knower of the Vedas.

I would like some time to hear your experiences Sanicle, but only of course if you would want to share them.
    Rasa
    Rasa

Post  Rasa Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:51 am

Devakas,i like your questions from your #602 post. So I will try gradually to answer them
    Devakas wrote:
    Why Vedas are not popular and not available to the masses.?
    Vedas are not popular because it is not day-time-TV. Everything is available if one is looking in the right direction. We find information depending on our interest. However one should note that the Vedas are an open secret. It is not like reading a magazine. One may read and study the Veda, but not necessarily understand them. There is a full spectrum of conditions and qualifications listed in the Vedas how to become a qualified student and also what is required to be a qualified teacher in order to have full benefit from the Vedas. sunny
    Rasa
    Rasa

Post  Rasa Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:57 am

Thank you Sanicle . You don't have to apologize, I think I do. English is my third language and sometimes I may not express myself clearly or may miss some points. It seemed to me your understanding was correct about bhutas as dis-incarnated human beings. The Vedas describe different type of bhutas or ghosts. But demi-gods are not at all in the same category. Lord Siva for example is very powerful Devata who takes care of most fallen human beings and ghosts.
    if you could Sanicle repeat your question in other words. I want to make sure I understand it properly. Also I wasn’t sure if I understood you correctly about gurus. In bhakti yoga tradition the original Guru (Adi Guru) is Supreme Personality of God Himself and everybody descends down in the disciplic succession. Disciple never leaves the guru because through the guru only disciple gets connection with the Supreme Lord. If connection is broken destination becomes again unknown.

However I would like to clarify one important point. That is the word “Hindu” is not a term that you will find in any of the Vedas. The term Hindu was given by conquering Islamic Pathans (Pushtuns of present day Afghanistan) invaders of the Indian subcontinent to all peoples on the other side of the Sindhu River. The Panthans lacking ‘s’ in their language pronounced Sindhu as Hindu. Thus generally everyone on the east of the Sindhu River were referred to as Hindu. However a more accurate term for followers of the Vedas is sanatana dharma. Sanatana means eternal or non perishable. Dharma means characteristic. Although dharma is many times translated as religion, that is not correct because religion is generally taken to mean a particular faith or belief like Christianity, Islam, or Hinduism. I can be a Hindu today and then decide to become a Christian tomorrow. That is not dharma. Dharma cannot be changed. Just like fire has certain characteristics. The property of fire is it must possess heat and light. This is the dharma of fire. Without heat and light it is not fire, it is something else. Similarly the dharma, property or characteristic of every living being is sanatana dharma or the eternal law which is elaborately presented in the Vedas. Those that actually follow of the Vedas (vedanta) are sanatanists. But the term Hindu is a misnomer. Modern Hinduism is a mess in the form of concocted rituals, demigod worship, and yes even ghost worship. Hope that doesn’t sound too complicated.

Sanicle wrote:
    I admit I do seem to get the beliefs of Hinduism and Buddhism mixed up to a degree but both do look to the Vedas as a source of knowledge.....yes?
    Yes, you will find many similarities in Buddhism with Vedic culture because Buddhism originated in Gaya, India. But Buddhism is not Vedic (although Lord Buddha is an incarnation of God). At the time of Lord Buddha’s appearance many innocent animals were being unnecessarily slaughtered by so-called priests in the name of Vedic ritualistic sacrifices. In order to safe the poor animals Lord Buddha rejected the Vedas and introduced a system of atheism. One of the great truths of Lord Buddha was “ahimasa paro dharmo” which means ahimsa or non-violence is the highest truth. This was the only method to save them from their sinful activities of animal slaughter. But because Lord Buddha rejected the Vedas the Buddhists are know as “nastikas” or those that are outside of the Vedic tradition. However because of its origin in India many influences of Vedic culture such as terminology and rituals are still there.
    Sanicle
    Sanicle

Post  Sanicle Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:20 am

Rasa, thank you so much for explaining the difference between Hinduism, and where that name came from, Buddhism and sanatana dharma. That makes soooo much more sense to me now. And I think you answered my question perfectly. You do amazingly well speaking your third ( Shocked ) language, making yourself very easily understood, better than some....including me....who only speak English lol. sunny

From your earlier post...

I would like some time to hear your experiences Sanicle, but only of course if you would want to share them.
    I've been studying and trying to follow the 'spiritual' path for almost forty years now Rasa, so trying to share them with you would just take too long lol. There are a few threads here at the Mists that will give you some idea of the experiences I've had though. This one is about how it all started in earnest for me years ago: http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t2415-basic-truths-remembered
    This one a more recent experience: http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t2528-wry-answer-from-the-higher-self
    And this is what I'm currently involved in: http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t2484-elementals-forgotten-maestros-of-manifestation

I will make another post on what I've looked at re Indian philosophies recently though. I want to be sure I put it together correctly.
    I love you
    Sanicle
    Sanicle

Post  Sanicle Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:49 am

My first introduction to Indian philosophy came through a friend of mine who became a follower of Sri Swami Satchadanda, by getting to know one of his close sannyasins in particular as he busied himself setting up an ashram here. She was deeply impressed by this young man and all he passed on of the teachings. Before too long Satchadananda himself visited us here in Australia and I went along with my friend to one of the lectures he was giving. The subject was the disease cancer and they invited an oncologist along to talk about the latest healing methods he knew of and he would then be followed by Satchadananda to talk on the same. To my stunned amazement, all Satchedanda had to contribute, after quite a few barely veiled sleights on the medical profession's techniques, was to say that all that was needed to cure cancer was to drink lots of water and use it as a douche. I was not impressed, by the man or his message.

Here's his website if you are unfamiliar with him: http://www.swamisatchidananda.org/docs2/biography.htm

Without going into lots of detail about all I learned through my friend about the goings-on at Satchadanda's various ashrams, his penchant for being driven around in cavalcades and accepting expensive gifts, and the fact that even his previously mentioned devoted sannyasin ended up leaving him as well, put me off him and his religion even more.

From there I heard a lot about the 'Orange people' who caused quite a stir here in Australia, especially because of his personal assistant who spoke for him on TV. Her favourite response when the questions and comments got a bit tough was "Tough titties." Not impressed by that, needless to say, and then all the hissing noises he made when he spoke disturbed me. A bit too 'snake-like' for comfort.

Another experience was through another friend, a magician, who travelled to India and looked into the 'cult' of Sai Baba which was very big at the time. Being a magician, he could see through his manifestion tricks and emulate them. Given all that's also been revealed about him since, enough said I think.

Most recently I looked into the Indian gurus again to learn as much as I could about meditation. Once more I came across 'the orange people', deciding by now that I couldn't fairly judge the man or his teachings by the unfortunate behaviour of his assistant back in the day or his unfortunate way of speaking. I found his website quite interesting as it contains stories about lots of the famous Buddhist and other teachers, including 'Osho' and the current Swami Rajneesh. Link: http://www.messagefrommasters.com/

I quite liked the teachings of 'Osho', finding he had a great way of explaining his own beliefs and the teachings of the other 'Masters' on the site. I was beginning to warm to him and his when I downloaded and read an article written by his sannyasin who took over his position when he died. It's the story of Swami Rajneesh, about his journey in the ashram of Osho, his wonderful guru. I came to the conclusion after reading this that, although these gurus may be excellent purveyors of the teachings, their intuition and hearts just do not measure up to what they teach. And as such, these teachings cannot guarantee the spiritual advancement that they promise.

And it does bother me that their followers look to them as demi-gods as a result. Sorry Rasa and Devakas, but I cannot thus go along with the claim they make that tieing oneself to them after their death is a 'good' thing....that it will assure one of attaining one's goal when, to my mind, they haven't attained this goal themselves. But then maybe I'm at fault in not 'understanding' the methods they use on their students.

Here's a link to the pdf I read if you're interested: http://www.oshorajneesh.net/osho_rajneesh_ebook/Tears_of_The_Mystic_Rose_English_ebook.pdf
    It's available in other languages also here: http://www.oshorajneesh.net/

I guess I may as well 'fess up' with the last bit of information I received on Indian teachings, meditation in particular. That was through a vivid dream I had in which my guide (a being I didn't see behind my right shoulder) told me, while we were watching a ceremony in which students of meditation were being given pieces of spine to represent the chakra they were going to be taught to open (I know, weird lol) that, despite what's taught, the opening of any chakra through meditation does not last forever. The process is one that unfolds naturally, lifetime after lifetime.

I truly hope none of what I've written here offends in any way. Nope It's just the way it's all been presented to me, for whatever reason. But those experiences are the reason why I'm so enjoying what's written here on your thread I think. I've gained more out of this than any of the other attempts to research Indian religions. So I hope you forgive what may come across as my negativity.

JT
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Rasa, this is great link to the lecture by William Deadwyler. Great explanaition of bhutas, spirit, soul. Really thank you.

I agree sunny Sanicle there are so many fruitless trees, so many fruitless gurus.
    When Krishnamurti could not answer a question he used to send an inquirer to the guru teaching bona fide Vedic knowledge and those would became devotees. Are those stories correct?
    I think Rasa said we should go by the fruits of the tree.

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:41 pm

"prakrityaiva cha karmani
    kriyamanani sarvasah
    yah pasyati tathatmanam
    akartaram sa pasyati" (Bhagwat Gita: Chapter Thirteen verse 30)

"Sri Krishna said: O Arjuna, One who can see that all activities are performed by the nature (Maya) alone and sees that the self does nothing, actually sees." (The Self is the silent witness).

Maya

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts - Page 14 Maya
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:25 pm

A Deluxe Edition of Animal Life

Srila Prabhupada speaks out

Life member of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness: What is your view on birth control by contraception?
    Srila Prabhupada: That is the most sinful activity. Birth control should be done by restraining sex.

LM: That is one way.
    Srila Prabhupada: That is the only way approved in the sastra [scriptures]. All other ways are sinful.

LM: But people are committing sinful activities like contraception and abortion. What will happen to them?
    Srila Prabhupada: They will suffer. Those who are killing children in the womb will themselves be killed.
    They will enter into a mother's womb and be killed. They will be punished, tit for tat. But that they
    do not know. These rascals have no education about the laws of nature. They're acting very independently,
    but Krsna says in the Bhagavad-gita [3.17], ahankara-vimudhatma kartaham iti manyate: Those who think they
    can act independently of nature are vimudhas, rascals. They will be punished by the laws of nature, just like
    a thief who defies the laws of the government.

LM: What is qualification of someone fit to have children?
    Srila Prabhupada: The husband and wife should not have a child unless they can take full responsibility
    for saving him from the repetition of birth and death. That is the sastric injunction. In the material
    world everyone is rotating in the cycle of birth and death, transmigrating from one body to another
    (tatha dehantara-praptih). And after many millions of years, one gets the chance to become a human being.
    Now, in this life, one can stop birth and death. That is Vedic culture- learning how to conquer the process
    of repeated birth and death (punar-janma-jaya). But that is possible only in human life. So the parents'
    duty is to train their children in such a way that their present birth is their last. And that
    training is Krsna consciousness.
    Unfortunately, people are ignorant of this science. So both parents and children are staying in the
    cycle of birth and death and wasting the opportunity of having a human body. This is modern civilization.
    People do not know this science: they are kept in darkness. Their so-called education is useless, because
    they do not learn what the destination of life is.
    Practically speaking, there is no education. The modern so-called education teaches you how
    to eat nicely, how to sleep nicely, how to have sex nicely, and how to defend nicely. And that is the
    business of the animals. They know how to eat, how to sleep, how to have sex, and how to defend.
    So the extra intelligence of the human being is making a deluxe edition of eating, sleeping, sex, and
    defense. The modern civilization is a deluxe edition of animal life. That's all.

LM: But many people would insist that the material progress of presentday society makes life
    worthwhile.
    Srila Prabhupada: What will you do with your material progress at the time of death? Suppose you
    have a big bank balance, a nice house, good friends. At any moment death can come and kick you out.
    What can you do? As death, Krsna will come one day and take everything you have. Finished. And
    He may make you a dog. Now bark. How can you stop it? You have practiced how to bark in the
    legistative assembly. Now become a dog and go on barking - yow, yow, yow! This is going on.
    No one knows the purpose of life. As Krsna says in the Bhadavad-gita, asatyam apratistham
    te jagad ahur anisvaram [BG.16.8]. People are claiming this world is false (asatyam),
    there is no God (anisvaram). So the modern civilization denies God, yet it is still trying
    to mitigate the miseries of life. But Bhagavad-gita proposes that first of all you should
    try to understand what your real misery is. Do you know what the real misery of your life is?
    What is the misery of your life?

LM: The misery of life is to live without divine knowledge.
    Srila Prabhupada: Yes. The real misery of life is that although you are an eternal soul, with
    no birth or death, you are suffering repeated birth and death of the body. Therefore birth
    and death are your real miseries. This is knowledge.
    But people have no brain to understand these things. Krsna clearly says, na jayate mryate va[BG.2.20]:
    "For the soul there is neither birth nor death." But the rascals never think, "Why am I
    suffering birth? Why am I dying?"
    Where is their education? They are struggling to get free of misery, but they don't know
    what their actual misery is. They foolish engage in the struggle for existence and hope
    for the survival of the fittest.

LM: The theory of the survival of the fittest may be applicable in our case because 'fit' means?
    Srila Prabhupada: Fit means "not getting another material body." That is being fit,
    because as soon as you get another material body you must suffer. People are mad, working day
    and night, but they are acting adversely to their own interest. You already have a body that is
    causing you suffering, and by your karma, your fruitive work, you are creating another body.
    And as soon as you get another material body, you'll have to suffer, whether you become
    a king or a dog.
    People have no brain to solve this problem, although there is a solution. Tyaktva
    deham punar janma naiti mam eti [BG.4.9]: Krsna says in Bhagavad-Gita that if you understand
    Him in truth, you can get out of the cycle of birth and death and go back to Godhead- no more
    birth and death.
    So you have become our Life Member. Try to broadcast the philosophy of Bhagavad-gita.
    That is the meaning of membership. Everything is there in Bhagavad-gita.
    Thoroughly study Bhagavad-gita As It Is. Understand the philosophy of Krsna consciousness,
    apply it in your own life, and try to spread it among your friends.

sunny The Karen sunny

Sanicle
    Sanicle

Post  Sanicle Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:09 am

The above is brilliant! Thank you so much for posting it Devakas. Very Happy

And I'm so glad I didn't offend with my post. I would hate to do that to you lovely people. Flowers Hugs
    Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:55 am

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts - Page 14 Jiddu_Krishnamurti_01

One of the most profound peices of Wisdom I've been blessed to have recieved is this from Jiddu Krishnamurti...

"Why don't You change ?"

Enlightened

Peace, Light, Love, Harmony and Unity...
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:11 pm

You are very sincere person dear Sanicle, how I can be offensive to that? Much respect to you from my heart.

Actually I feel the same and would hate to offend anybody with my posts. There are great people in the mists and very open minded. I am happy you liked the last post. I love you

I missed Krishnamurti teachings I have to admit. I am very happy you respect him Mercuriel. I love you

Flowers The Carol

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:06 pm

The goal of life is laziness

Simple living
    His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Indian man: Don't you think the people (in South Africa) are lazy?

Prabhupada: Why aren't you lazy here? It is the government's policy or government's management. You see? To become lazy is the recommendation of the shastra. "Lazy" has become a bad word, but actually real life means to not work very hard. Working hard (only) for eating means animal life, not human life. Human life should be very peaceful - without any hard work - for cultivating spiritual knowledge. Not working hard like hogs and dogs all day just to find some stool. That isn't human life. People are being educated to work very hard. That isn't human life. Therefore those who have money build a nice bungalow in a secluded place to live peacefully - to become lazy. Is it not?

Indian man: Yes.

Prabhupada: Perfection of life means ultimately you become lazy; you haven't got to work. That is perfection, they say. Otherwise why live in a cottage in a secluded place? On weekends, Americans leave aside all working. They become tired from all their hard working, and they go. The intention is to live a peaceful life, and not work very hard. That is human life. Otherwise, why go outside the city on the weekend? Why?

Indian man: They want rest, I suppose. They want rest.

Prabhupada: That means lazy.

Indian man: No. . .

Prabhupada: Yes. Rest means lazy; you don't work.

Indian man: If one works five days a week, you rest for two...

Prabhupada: That is another thing. You have to work to become lazy. (laughter) That is another thing. But the goal is to become lazy. You work five days very hard just to become lazy for two days. That's all. But if you have the means to become lazy seven days a week, you'll prefer it.

Pusta Krishna: But I think most people would go crazy if they didn't have any work.

Prabhupada: No, that means their life is not properly conducted. Therefore the word "laziness" has come (into use). "Laziness" is not actually the word. Laziness means minimizing bodily labor and engaging in spiritual work. If you ask people, "Please come to our temple," who is coming? Most people say, "I have no time." But we're not working hard.

There are (four) classifications: "Lazy intelligent, busy intelligent, lazy fool, and busy fool." So at the present moment (laughs) the whole world is full of busy fools. But the first-class man is "lazy intelligent." The second-class man is "busy intelligent." Third class means "lazy fool" and fourth class means "busy fool."

Nowadays people are busy but they're fools - like monkeys. A monkey is very busy. You see? People prefer to be a generation of monkeys, busy fools. A fool, when he is busy, is simply creating havoc. A lazy fool is better because he will not create so much harm, but a busy fool will simply create harm. And a first class-man is lazy intelligent. He knows the value of life. He's thinking soberly. Just like, you will find, all our great saintly persons. They were living in the forest, (performing) meditation, tapasya (austerity), and writing books. All lazy intelligent. They are first-class men.

Indian man: Not like the monkey, jumping from one ...

Prabhupada: What is the value of a busy fool? He is a fool, and he is busy. Nowadays, education is for making busy fools. That's all.

Indian man: What about the busy intelligent? How does he behave?

Prabhupada: Busy intelligent means at least there is some meaning to whatever he is doing. Lazy intelligent means to be doing higher things. Lazy intelligent means brahmana, and busy intelligent means kshatriya.

chatur-varnyam maya srstam
    [Bg. 4.13].

The society should be divided into four classes. The shudras are busy fools, therefore they are to be guided. For every hundred workers, one leader must be there to give the direction: "Why are you doing this? Why you don't do this?" Otherwise they'll create havoc - busy fools. Now the whole world is full of busy fools. That's all.

For brahmanas, the Bhagavad-gita doesn't recommend, "You work hard day and night." Brahminical qualifications are controlling the senses, controlling the mind, being truthful, clean, knowing everything nicely, practical applying the knowledge, and having full faith in shastra and Bhagavan (God). [Bg. 18.42]. These things are recommended, not that a brahmana should become very busy all day and night for getting food.

Shastra says, "There is no use of becoming busy for your food. Food is there already." Food is already there. He'll get his food. That is arranged by God. But (most people) are busy fools. They don't understand God's arrangement. They're busy, day and night, like cats and dogs, only for food.

So much land is there. Everyone, if he works for two months, can grow his whole year's foodstuff. There is so much land. But no, they'll not grow food. They will grow hammers. They will manufacture tire tubes, atom bombs, then this and that. They are busy fools. They are fools, and they are very busy. Everyone is busy. There are so many parts in the motorcar, three thousand parts, and they're busy manufacturing three thousand motorcar parts. Everyone is busy producing unwanted things, and they've created a society in such a way that they have to do that.

Indian man: Otherwise they think that they not economically progressing.

Prabhupada: What is that "economical progressing?" That means busy fool. Fools don't know how to satisfy the economic problem. That is recommended in the Bhagavad-gita, annad bhavanti bhutani: [Bg. 3.14] "You grow food grains." Then all economic questions (are answered). But why aren't you producing food grains? Why you are producing iron stools and instruments and motors and tires and collecting petrol far away from Arabia? Krishna never says, "You do all this nonsense." He said, "Grow food grains." Why don't you do that? That means fools. After all, you have to eat. But you're not busy growing your food; you're busy producing tire tubes, motor cars, stools and instruments. So how you will get your food? Where is your "economic progressing?" Your first economic necessity is that you must eat.

The Karen

devakas

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:18 pm

INDIAN DANCE
    By Yogacharini Emy Blesio (Gayatri Devi)

Prior to his or her performance, the dancer touches the Ground (Floor) to ask permission to batter the floor with his or her feet and, at the finish, he or she asks forgiveness for having done so.
    This gesture demonstrates how everything in India precipitates a mystic, higher connotation. From the simplest functions to the greatest gestures, everything is lived in a sacred manner.
    There are seven classical dance forms from India: Bharata Natyam (the most ancient), Kathak (which contains the origins of Spanish flamenco), Manipuri (influenced by local folk dances), Odissi (sinuous and sensual that had inspired the temple builders), Kathakali (potent and masculine: a dance where even the female character was impersonated by a man), Mohini Attam (feminine and close to the mysticism of Mother Earth. The female role of the Kathakali), Kuchipudhi (where dancers sometimes perform their dances on top of metal plates balancing a jug full of water on their heads).

Indian dance has its roots deep in Indian mysticism, legends and Indian rituals, depicting achievements of heroes and Gods. The stories are told by the body, face mimic and different positions of the hands, each movement expressing a well defined role. Kajal rimmed eyes draw attention to facial expressions. The body, seen as the temple of the soul, is adorned with jewels; the ankles and feet, beating the rhythm, symbolize the creative vibration as well as dissolution of the Universe. The hands and feet draw geometric forms in the air, the so called yantra describe the qualities and symbols of each divinity or the tale; those who understand Indian symbology can easily read and interpret these movements.

In an ancient scripture, the Natya Shastra, it is written: .........where the hands go, the eyes follow... Where the spirit rests, a state of being manifests itself,
    where a state of being intensifies, supreme joy is awaken..........

In general, a performance of Indian dance, with its magnificent costumes and enchanting atmosphere becomes an emotive experience displaying a high level of emotion:“ “Dancer’s hands open like the petals of a lotus flower and her fingers splayed out plunge and soar like birds in flight. Her body movements are proud, now sensual, now they manifest devotion or great power....femininity and
    masculinity.....
    Her facial expressions are constantly changing, mimicking sentiments and emotions. The eyes and particularly eyebrows express love, then contempt, suspicion, compassion, disgust, horror and great devotion”. This dance rises from the heart, the soul and the spirit. The movements are scouring a millennia old concept, and in its melodies they find something special, something impalpable which escapes our normal ways of interpretation.
    They can provoke deep emotions which are difficult to control rationally. India is a world far removed from us and yet well anchored within a well-defined common framework; and this is why those who start to follow and interpret this dance can seldom leave it .....

In India dance is considered to be a form of yoga because it focuses on connecting the physical energy with spiritual strength. In effect, Indian dance is represents a trait-d’union between the philosophical thought derived from the complex science of yoga and the simple mind, pure and partly instinctive and partly a product of human ingenuity.

In the beginning it was only performed by the sacred Devadasi celibate temple dancers and priestesses, who dedicated their lives to prayer, were offering their bodies and their dance to divinity. Later, during the reign of a Moghul emperor, it was banned under Muslim tradition which forbade women to expose their bodies in public.

Even with the intervention of the British domination this practice was not allowed. British Puritans did not approve of dancing by women as a pretext for worship. There was a dancer, Rukmini Devi, who belonged to a higher cast and was passionate about Indian culture and traditions. A towering personality, she was the pioneer of the revival of Indian classical dance. She married an Englishman and with courage and determination she dedicated herself to dance, which was almost extinct, taking it from the temples to an academic level.

Rukmini Devi was a great supporter of Indian dance and fought against discrimination and prejudices to bring back the splendour and mysticism of the past and this most fascinating Indian classical dance known as Bharata Natyam, by reassessing it and re-establishing its sacral values held in the past.
    She believed that: If the Bharata Natyam could not be performed in a temple, we would bring sacredness into the dance. It was during the political disorders at the beginning of the century that she offered hospitality to artists, authors, musicians and nattuanars at one of her properties in Madras, thus saving them from repression and......starvation. She established the Kalakshetra Academy of Art, which is still a major centre for performing arts education, known and recognized throughout the world for
    extreme quality, authenticity and prestige.

For those who practice this dance it is said that they bear a regal countenance. The warming up (practice) before the proper dance (using many positions of the Hatha Yoga), is measured by the strength of articulations and elasticity of the vertebral column. The movement of micro muscles of the face and eyes during the Abhinaya (mimic) describes the high concepts of oriental philosophy; this, in addition to the physical development and facial mobility, turns into a real knowledge leading to personal spiritual growth. The movement of the hands (called Mudra) and the whole body allows an exceptional ability to control movement and coordination, serving to develop and synchronise both cerebral hemispheres, which is useful in achieving phychophysical balance.

Every dance uses the body as an effective means of communication; the expression of a dance is perhaps the most intricate and developed, but it’s also a form of art which is far the easiest to understand.
    In India dance is expressed through poetry, sculpture, architecture, literature, music and theatre. It was born more than 8000 years ago. In fact, the first archaeological findings include a pretty statuette of a dancing girl, dating back to 6000 years BC.

However, dance was formally mentioned only recently. It is believed that the Natya Shastra of Bharata writings (sacred Indian scriptures on the art of dance and theatre) was written between the second century BC and second century AD and represents the earliest valid example of dramaturgy. All forms of classical Indian dances owe allegiance to Natya Shastra, regarded as the fifth Veda.

There are four Vedas and it is said that Brahma, the Creator, created Natya by taking the literature from RgVeda, the holy songs from SamaVeda, the abhinaya (expressiveness or mimics) from YajurVeda and rasa (states of mind or aesthetic experience) from AtharvaVeda.

All the dances are structured around the nine rasas or emotions: lasya (happiness), krodha (anger), bhibasta (disgust), bhaya (fear), shoka (regret), viram (courage), karuna (compassion), adbhuta (surprise) and shanta (serenity). The dances differ from one another due to different ethnic reasons however, the hand movements or hasta mudra are the same for all the rasas. Most Indian dances take their themes from India's rich mythology and folk legends. This is the trait d’union between the science, the level of consciousness raised to the level of the soul and the simple human mind. The genesis of the contemporary styles of classical dances can be traced as far back as 1300-1400 AD. India offers a number of classical dance forms, each of which can be traced to different parts of the country or ethnic groups. Baratha Natyam from Tamil Nadu, Kathak from Uttar Pradesh and Rajastan, Kathakali from Kerala as a pure Mohini Attam, Kuchipudi from Andhra Pradesh,
    Manipuri from the homonymous Manipur and Odissi from Orissa.

Kathak: this dance inspired by the Indian origins of gypsies from Andalusia is the mother of flamenco.
    Kathak is recognized as one of the seven classical Indian dance forms and one of the youngest.
    Originally it was practiced by wandering monks who sang and enacted mythological stories called “Kathaka”, giving it its name, by using facial expressions and a complex series of hand and body gestures (Mudra). Following the Islamic invasion of India, Kathak dance travelled from the temples to the Moghul courts, becoming richer in choreography, movements and profane elements which make this dance one of the most sophisticated forms of art found in Northern India.
    Being no longer tied to the original devotional cult so typical of the most ancient Bharata Natyam, during the Moghul period the Kathak dance had a significant value as pure entertainment and was an art form in itself.

Hindustani music is the music normally found in the accompaniment of Kathak dancers – this genre is the closest to the Western taste – the rhythmic element has a superior character and contains cyclical rhythmic patterns known as “TAALAS”.

A traditional Kathak performance is characterized by rhythmic footwork, i.e. complex feet movements developed to extreme levels that can not be rivalled by any other type of dance and although performed in bare feet, they reveal the past’s influence on flamenco. Numerous quick spinning movements (Chakkar), graceful and harmonious movements of the hands and wrists, and tiny cymbals and characteristic castanets which can also be found in flamenco as well as most ancient Middle Eastern dances (Egypt-Tunisia-Morocco). After enduring severe and protracted persecution by the Temurs, Indian gypsies finally reached the destination of their pilgrimage.

Another inseparable component of Indian dance is called Abhinaya, the mimic part of the dance through which the dancer communicates her interpretation of internal psychological states. Compared to other over-codified styles, Kathak appears very formal, offering more room for improvisation.
    As I was saying, the Kathak dance form originated in the North although its true roots lie in Central India, and as is true of almost all classical Indian dances, the common root of all classical dance forms can be traced to Bharata Natyam. Subsequently it acquires its very own connotation.

Persian and Muslim influences as well as the Mughul tradition are still evident in
    its virtuosisms and soft spinning movements.
    We have said that it came with the story tellers who used songs and dance to embellish their stories. In Central India this took the form of Kathakalakshepam, in Southern India Harikatha and in the North Kathak.

The dance witnessed an abrupt change around the 15th century to the influence of Persian culture in the Moghul courts. During the sixteenth century the costumes changed too. They became regal and the tight fitting churidar pyjama became the staple attire of a Kathak dancer.

Contrary to other Indian dances, another characteristic of this dance, apart from feet stamping, intricate pirouettes, sinuous and quick movement of the wrists, the basic standing position for Kathak is a straight back. Whilst in other classical dances (more or less) dancers work mainly with their legs bent, the Kathak dancer keeps his legs straight. The Katak dancers also wear pellet bells tied around their ankles. Costumes become increasingly elaborate, made of precious brocades and silk.

As in other classical dances Mudras described in the ancient scriptures as the Fifth Veda, the Natya Shasta, are used in the Kathak. The stories are inspired by the great epics of India, found in Ramayana, Mahabharata and other Purans.

The story-tellers' songs about the life of Krishna have remained almost unchanged throughout the ages and even today the choreography still focuses mainly on the cosmic love between Radha and Krishna and his spiritual love for the shepherdess.

In the beginning it was a solo dance with one dancer who played alternatively Krishna and Radha
    (Today it is performed by a couple or even a group of dancers). Kathak dancers must learn the basics of Hindu music; they must have a conventionally beautiful voice, must know how to sing, know the music well and have rhythmic ability to play percussions, Tabla, and other accompanying instruments, Sitar, harmonium, and finally, to have a great scenic presence in order to select positions reminiscent of fine specimens of Moghul miniature art.

http://www.europeanyogafederation.net/Articol5.pdf

Savitha Sastry Bharatanatyam Performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgiLOzFQh14&feature=related

Love Always
    mudra
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Thank you Enlightened Mudra Enlightened
    I believe there are so much stories told in their dances. Thanks for explaining it. Hugs

hope you like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4gXxK8J4nc
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Thank you for your gift sister sunny

The Karen

Love for You
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Higher Consciousness Explains Many Mysteries of the Ancient Past
    By Joseph Selbie and David Steinmetz

(First published as an Author of the Month article on Graham Hancock’s site in the Fall of 2010)

There are many intriguing examples of anomalous knowledge which existed in the ancient past: verified knowledge of anatomy and physiology and modern-like medical treatments in use as early as 2500 BC in Egypt, China and India, the precision construction of the Great Pyramid in 2600 BC (or perhaps earlier), and accurate knowledge of math and physics, including the size and nature of the atom, embedded in India’s Vedas dating back to the sixth millennium BC – just to name a few.

The field of alternative history has long sought the answer to where this advanced knowledge came from – and why it didn’t survive.

One theory, familiar to most of us, is that aliens came to earth in the distant past and gave knowledge to man that was beyond his comprehension. As the theory goes, when the aliens eventually left, the knowledge quickly died out because man wasn’t yet ready for it.

Another theory, sometimes put forward by apologists for mainstream archeology, is that advanced knowledge may have existed in the ancient past but it was due only to chance combinations of primitive technology and individual genius – serendipitous discovery. As the theory goes, when that particular genius or serendipitous circumstance was gone, the knowledge quickly died out because man wasn’t yet ready for it.

There is however another explanation for advanced knowledge in the past – one which comes to us from the ancient past itself – that does not rely on aliens or serendipity. The explanation is that man had more advanced consciousness in the past than he now possesses, and that it was this advanced consciousness, natural to man, that enabled him to develop advanced knowledge on his own without need for alien intervention or serendipity.

read on: http://theyugas.com/about-the-yugas/articles/article-3/

Love Always
    mudra

Last edited by mudra on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:22 pm