tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+34
MargueriteBee
Anchor
SERAFiNA
Truthseeker
devakas
AscendingStarseed
Chris
giovonni
ClearWater
Jonah
CetaceousOne
Brook
Instigator
Vidya Moksha
Floyd
enemyofNWO
newel
lawlessline
Nebula
sabina
Jenetta
monique
anomalous cowherd
spiritwarrior
Gita
Mercuriel
GODDESS OF PURPLE LIGHT
Micjer
burgundia
lindabaker
mudra
Seashore
Carol
gscraig
38 posters

EARTH CHANGES 2011 DAILY UPDATES

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

EARTH CHANGES 2011 DAILY UPDATES - Page 29 Empty Re: EARTH CHANGES 2011 DAILY UPDATES

Post  Carol Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:48 am

Quote:

The Gulf Stream and The Next Ice Age

The Gulf Stream and the Next Ice Age is a one-hour documentary which explores the results of a recent American government report that believes the collapse of thermohaline circulation will take place around the year 2010 and impose a minor ice age on Europe. Could Dublin acquire a climate like Spitzberg, and London like that of Siberia? The Gulf Stream is a powerful surface current, driven by the Trade Winds.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=youtube+the+gulf+stream+and+the+next+ice+age

"You ain't seen nothing yet!" says astrophysicist
    Biggest blizzard in decades for Northeast USA 25-31 Dec
    23 Dec 10 - " Much more severe than standard meteorology will predict," warns astrophysicist Piers Corbyn.
    See "You ain't seen nothing yet!" says astrophysicist: http://www.iceagenow.com/You_ain-t_seen_nothing_yet_says_astrophysicist_Biggest_blizzard_in_decades_for_NE_USA.htm

Iceland map lighting up like a Christmas tree! - Resurgent earthquake activity near Katla volcano
    http://www.iceagenow.com/Iceland_map_lighting_up_like_a_Christmas_tree.htm

EARTH CHANGES 2011 DAILY UPDATES - Page 29 IcelandQuakes22Dec%2010

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

EARTH CHANGES 2011 DAILY UPDATES - Page 29 Empty Re: EARTH CHANGES 2011 DAILY UPDATES

Post  Carol Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:07 am

Napolitano - DHS to Battle Climate Change as Homeland Security Issue

17 Dec 10 - "At an all-day White House conference on "environmental justice," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announced that her department is creating a new task force - the "Climate Change and Adaptation Task Force" - to battle the effects of climate change on domestic security operations," says this article by J. Brady Howell.

This is scary. What will happen to global warming skeptics, I wonder? Will I be branded a terrorist? Our governing elite are grabbing far too much power.

According to the former Arizona governor, the task force is charged with “identifying and assessing the impact that climate change could have on the missions and operations of the Department of Homeland Security.”

The conference did not define “environmental justice.” The June 2010 Department of Homeland Security Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan states “Many USCG [Coast Guard] and Customs and Border Protection facilities, by their mission, are located in the coastal zone which will be adversely impacted by sea level rise. Costs will increase for protecting existing facilities from the impacts of sea level rise and some facilities might have to be abandoned in the longer term.”

Sea level rise? No, sea levels will fall as we head into the next ice age. That's where all of the moisture comes from to build up the giant ice sheets that will cover Canada and many other areas of the far north (and far south).

Napolitano is being politically correct when she calls it "climate change," but talking about rising sea levels implies global warming.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/napolitano-says-dhs-begin-battling-clima

Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:19 am

Dear Sista - People like You and I are already on a List and Yep We're branded as Troublemakers if not Terrorists in Their Eyes for sure. In fact Wikileaks and the Anonymous Group linking Itself to Assange are doing what They're doing so that the definition of Terrorist can be expanded to People such as Us if it already isn't.

I'd say most of Us here are on a List and if You're not - Then You're not trying hard enough...

Harp

That said - If Martial Law occurs - We'll find all of this out soon enough...

At any rate - I came to Stand and so with that Its - Full Steam ahead for this Heretic...

Wink

Peace, Light, Love, Harmony and Unity...
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:45 am

Mercuriel wrote:Dear Sista - People like You and I are already on a List and Yep We're branded as Troublemakers if not Terrorists in Their Eyes for sure. In fact Wikileaks and the Anonymous Group linking Itself to Assange are doing what They're doing so that the definition of Terrorist can be expanded to People such as Us if it already isn't.

I'd say most of Us here are on a List and if You're not - Then You're not trying hard enough...

Harp

That said - If Martial Law occurs - We'll find all of this out soon enough...

At any rate

- I came to Stand and so with that Its - Full Steam ahead for this Heretic...

Wink

moi? Lmfao

I plan on being a multi-millionaire before TSHTF and will purchase a barge with tugboat and put my aquaponics farm on it, solar panels, swimning pool, hot tub, mini horses, dog, cats, ducks - along with the chickens. Hmm, make that two barges (one for the critters and one for the family). Then I'll invite all the Mists members and we will have a hukilau along with some Tahitian dancers to perform for the lads.

My island boat

Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:53 am

I'm in with both feet...

Love to Ya...

Wink

AscendingStarseed
    AscendingStarseed

Post  AscendingStarseed Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:37 am

You're going to need help taking care of all those critters Carol...so count me in to be of service in keepin' that boat afloat!!

I appreciate your input on the politic's behind informing the public or not, makes a lot of sense...but still doesn't make it right.

Thanks for all your hard work cheers
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:19 am

Its been pretty cold and snowy in most of UK with some places recording lowest temps for 25 years.(Its gorgeous today) Hardly the dawn of a new ice age though.
    My own take is that the Ice Age myth is bad science or plain disinfo.
    Interestinly, if the planet shifts to the new pole star, Kochab, as indicated by the Glastonbury Zodiac, the Uk will be enjoying the clomate of southern spain whilst the latter is placed aabove the equator.

Time to find my speedos!

From the Gulf Stream Myth

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

burgundia
    burgundia

Post  burgundia Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:45 am

7.6 in the Pacific Ocean...threat of tsunami.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:59 am

Central Arkansas growing weary of relentless tremors
    By Sarah Hoye, CNN
    December 24, 2010

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/12/23/arkansas.earthquakes/index.html?hpt=T2

Scott Ausbrooks, geohazards supervisor for the U.S. Geological Survey, collects data from a seismic monitoring station.

More than 500 earthquakes have been recorded in Arkansas in the past few weeks
    Geologists want to investigate salt water disposal wells related to natural gas drilling
    "In the beginning ... it was neat. ... But now we're wanting it to go away"
    Guy, Arkansas (CNN) -- Things are still shaking in Arkansas.
    More than 500 measurable earthquakes have been reported in central Arkansas since September 20, ranging in magnitude from a barely noticeable 1.8 to a very noticeable 4.0 (recorded on October 11), according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
    Geologists can't say whether they'll stop anytime soon.
    Steve Wilson is looking forward to the quakes going away, he said.
    "In the beginning, it was fun, it was neat, it was a cool thing to experience. But now we're wanting it to go away," said Wilson, assistant superintendent at Woolly Hallow State Park. "We've had all the fun we want."
    Although drilling for natural gas has been ruled out as a cause for the quakes, experts want to continue looking at salt water disposal wells, said Scott Ausbrooks, geohazards supervisor for the Geological Survey. Disposal wells occur when drilling waster is injected back into the earth after drilling.

Earlier this month, the Arkansas Oil and Gas commission issued an emergency moratorium on permits for new disposal wells. The commission will ask for a six-month extension for the moratorium at a January regulatory meeting.
    The state also will soon become one of a few to require companies to disclose the chemicals used in fracking fluid, the water-and-chemical solution used in high-pressure drilling operations, said Shane Khoury, deputy director and general counsel for the Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission.

"I think everyone recognizes that there is an increased number of seismic events occurring in and around this area. If you look at the maps, at least circumstantially, there appears to be evidence that they may be related to disposal operations," said Khoury. "But we also know that this is an area that is historically active."
    Meanwhile, Sam Higdon, the mayor Guy, says the quakes' novelty is worn out.
    "I think everyone just kind of figures maybe it'll just go away," he said. "And that's what we're all hoping."

see video at the link above

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:38 am

There's a mini ice age coming, says man who beats weather experts
    December 21, 2010

Footprints remain after people walked on the snow-covered beach at Weston-Super-Mare, England. Photo: Getty Images
    Piers Corbyn not only predicted the current weather, but he believes things are going to get much worse, says Boris Johnson, London's mayor.

Well, folks, it's tea-time on Sunday and for anyone involved in keeping people moving it has been a hell of a weekend. Thousands have had their journeys wrecked, tens of thousands have been delayed getting away for Christmas; and for those Londoners who feel aggrieved by the performance of any part of our transport services, I can only say that we are doing our level best.

Almost the entire Tube system was running on Sunday and we would have done even better if it had not been for a suicide on the Northern Line, and the temporary stoppage that these tragedies entail. Of London's 700 bus services, only 50 were on diversion, mainly in the hillier areas. On Saturday, we managed to keep the West End plentifully supplied with customers, and retailers reported excellent takings on what is one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

We have kept the Transport for London road network open throughout all this. We have about 90,000 tons of grit in stock, and the gritters were out all night to deal with this morning's rush. And yet we have to face the reality of the position across the country.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    It is no use my saying that London Underground and bus networks are performing relatively well - touch wood - when Heathrow, our major international airport, is still effectively closed two days after the last heavy snowfall; when substantial parts of our national rail network are still struggling; when there are abandoned cars to be seen on hard shoulders all over the country; and when yet more snow is expected today, especially in the north.

In a few brief hours, we are told, the snowy superfortresses will be above us again, bomb bays bulging with blizzard. It may be that in the next hours and days we have to step up our de-icing, our gritting and our shovelling. So let me seize this brief gap in the aerial bombardment to pose a question that is bugging me. Why did the Met Office forecast a "mild winter"?

Do you remember? They said it would be mild and damp, and between one degree and one and a half degrees warmer than average. Well, I am now 46 and that means I have seen more winters than most people on this planet, and I can tell you that this one is a corker.

Never mind the record low attained in Northern Ireland this weekend. I can't remember a time when so much snow has lain so thickly on the ground, and we haven't even reached Christmas. And this is the third tough winter in a row. Is it really true that no one saw this coming?

Actually, they did. Allow me to introduce readers to Piers Corbyn, meteorologist and brother of my old chum, bearded leftie MP Jeremy. Piers Corbyn works in an undistinguished office in Borough High Street. He has no telescope or supercomputer. Armed only with a laptop, huge quantities of publicly available data and a first-class degree in astrophysics, he gets it right again and again.

Back in November, when the Met Office was still doing its "mild winter" schtick, Corbyn said it would be the coldest for 100 years. Indeed, it was back in May that he first predicted a snowy December, and he put his own money on a white Christmas about a month before the Met Office made any such forecast. He said that the Met Office would be wrong about last year's mythical "barbecue summer", and he was vindicated. He was closer to the truth about last winter, too.

He seems to get it right about 85 per cent of the time and serious business people - notably in farming - are starting to invest in his forecasts. In the eyes of many punters, he puts the taxpayer-funded Met Office to shame. How on earth does he do it? He studies the Sun.

He looks at the flow of particles from the Sun, and how they interact with the upper atmosphere, especially air currents such as the jet stream, and he looks at how the Moon and other factors influence those streaming particles.

He takes a snapshot of what the Sun is doing at any given moment, and then he looks back at the record to see when it last did something similar. Then he checks what the weather was like on Earth at the time - and he makes a prophecy.

I have not a clue whether his methods are sound or not. But when so many of his forecasts seem to come true, and when he seems to be so consistently ahead of the Met Office, I feel I want to know more. Piers Corbyn believes that the last three winters could be the harbinger of a mini ice age that could be upon us by 2035, and that it could start to be colder than at any time in the last 200 years. He goes on to speculate that a genuine ice age might then settle in, since an ice age is now cyclically overdue.

Is he barmy? Of course he may be just a fluke-artist. It may be just luck that he has apparently predicted recent weather patterns more accurately than government-sponsored scientists. Nothing he says, to my mind, disproves the view of the overwhelming majority of scientists, that our species is putting so much extra CO? into the atmosphere that we must expect global warming.

The question is whether anthropogenic global warming is the exclusive or dominant fact that determines our climate, or whether Corbyn is also right to insist on the role of the Sun. Is it possible that everything we do is dwarfed by the moods of the star that gives life to the world? The Sun is incomparably vaster and more powerful than any work of man. We are forged from a few clods of solar dust. The Sun powers every plant and form of life, and one day the Sun will turn into a red giant and engulf us all. Then it will burn out. Then it will get very nippy indeed.

The Daily Telegraph, London
    http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/theres-a-mini-ice-age-coming-says-man-who-beats-weather-experts-20101221-1945a.html

Love Always
    mudra
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:38 pm

So Floyd, you're going to fish out your speedos. May I suggest you come here first where the water is warm, the air balmy and the sun hot. sunny

gscraig
    gscraig

Post  gscraig Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:47 pm

A quick note, if I may.

It doesn't really matter what is myth and what is not, when you can make absolute determinations based on that which is right before your eyes. The Gulf Stream and any University supported arguement has no bearing in relation to the UK/Britain cooling or anywhere else when record snow fall, record temperatures (high and low), record rainfall, simultaneous volcanism, earthquakes, sinkholes, mudslides, emerging land masses and solar phenomena is occuring.

Be careful not to be so skeptical to where you eliminate common sense from the equation.

Just a little something from your friendly neighborhood boogie man. :-)
    gscraig
    gscraig

Post  gscraig Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:54 pm

....and to boot. We have to mention the record flooding that's been occuring across the planet along with the huge holes in our Magnetosphere.

I wouldn't panic, but I wouldn't be too comfortable at the same time. The question is how widespread, how severe, and how long will the trends extend?

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Piers Corbyn - Solar Cycle Caused 2010 Snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNBlDnA0q3s&feature=related

Love Always
    mudra
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:00 am

26 December 2010 Last updated at 05:06 ET
    New Zealand's Christchurch hit by strong aftershocks

Speaking from Christchurch, Radio New Zealand's Ian Telfer told the BBC it was pure luck that no-one was injured

A series of strong aftershocks from a September earthquake has rattled Christchurch in New Zealand on one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

The most powerful tremor was 4.9 magnitude and its impact was magnified by its proximity to the city centre.

Buildings were damaged, power supplies temporarily cut and a large shopping centre was evacuated.

The city of 370,000 people was hit by a 7.1-magnitude earthquake three months ago, causing widespread destruction.

Two people were seriously injured in that quake, and older buildings including some landmarks were destroyed.

Scientists say the tremors which continue to shake the area are related to the September quake and warn they could continue for some time.

On Saturday, a 7.3 magnitude quake struck under the sea off Vanuatu, but there were no reports of damage or injuries.

Correspondents say it was a remarkable stroke of luck that no-one was hurt in Sunday's tremor.

It struck at 1030 (2130 Saturday GMT) within 5km (three miles) of Christchurch at a depth of 12km, said GNS Science monitoring agency.

Shop fronts were shattered and in some places masonry could be seen littering the streets.

Large parts of the central business district were cordoned off as police assessed damage to buildings.

"To witness that first hand, it really scared the living daylights out of me," one witness told reporters. "Buildings were exploding, and I thought it was glass but it was rock!"

One resident, Roger Cleave, who owns a music shop, said the latest shocks did more damage than September's quake.

"When we had the [earthquake in September] we had very little damage to stock. I think only one guitar fell off the wall and a couple of other items fell over. But this one was a lot more violent and a lot more stuff has fallen off."

A Civil Defence Emergency Operations Centre, to co-ordinate the response of emergency services, has been set up.

Are you in New Zealand? Did you feel the aftershocks? Send us your comments using the form below.

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7725 100 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12080121

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:13 am

EARTH CHANGES 2011 DAILY UPDATES - Page 29 _50524242_dundee_snow_pic_976
    UK snow cover viewed from space -26 December 2010 Last updated at 08:06 ET
    Frozen pipes cause flood problems
    Generic Temperatures have risen by more than 5C in some areas over the past 24 hours

Fire crews across Scotland have been dealing with hundreds of flooding incidents after a sudden rise in temperatures caused pipes to burst.

Christmas Day saw the mercury rise above freezing in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow for the first time in days.

While many people welcomed the milder temperatures, the thaw has caused flood damage to many homes and businesses.

Strathclyde Fire and Rescue said it had attended more than 200 call-outs on Saturday alone.

Fire crews have also been forcing their way into empty properties to turn off water and power supplies.

In the Lothians, crews were called to McDonalds in the Almondvale Centre, Livingston, as well as properties in Dalkeith, Harthill and Oxgangs.

Rescue services in central Scotland, Grampian, the Highlands and Tayside said they had also received calls.

Temperatures rose by more than 5C in some regions on Saturday - from below freezing to 3.1C in Edinburgh, 2.9C in Aberdeen and 0.6C in Glasgow.
    'Blocked drains'

While temperatures dipped again through the night, they were expected to reach 4C in Glasgow on Sunday and 2C in Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Transport Minister Keith Brown said: "Though everyone will welcome the news that temperatures may creep back over zero, the change will bring new challenges.

"We need to look out for the three Bs - burst pipes, blocked drains and black ice - and keep away from ice on lochs, ponds and canals as the thaw comes.

"The Ready Winter pages on the Scottish government website have good advice, and they've been getting lots of hits through the recent severe weather."
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

Making sure they are warm and have food and water can make all the difference to them, and you can never underestimate the importance of having someone to talk to”

End Quote Callum Chomczuk Age Concern Scotland
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12080482

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:13 am

EARTH CHANGES 2011 DAILY UPDATES - Page 29 TopMap.eveday
    December 26,2010

Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:09 am

I find it laughable how They can call it an Aftershock when the supposed precursor Quake was a 4.7 and was quite awhile back too.

I mean - Can a 4.9 be an Aftershock of a 4.7 ? Statements like that seem to Me like a minimalist approach so as to allay concern that It was an Official Quake all on It's own.

Blink

That said - IMO - Mainsteam NEWS seems incapable of giving Us anything pertinent and is more akin to Editorializing or downright Disinfo...

Wink

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:49 pm

EARTH CHANGES 2011 DAILY UPDATES - Page 29 Signhell

EARTH CHANGES 2011 DAILY UPDATES - Page 29 Capt.e75603397cf649edac946b69b245a77a-c630198e455d49beb4d15437b7ef4edf-0
    Blizzards Shuts Down Areas from New York City to Boston...

Major winter storm barrels up East Coast - NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A winter storm that brought a rare white Christmas to parts of the South was barreling up the East Coast early Sunday, with forecasters predicting 6 to 10 inches of snow for Washington and blizzard conditions for New York City and New England.

Airlines canceled hundreds of Sunday flights in the Northeast corridor, with more likely to come as the storm intensifies.

Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina declared states of emergency early Sunday or Saturday night. As North Carolina road crews tried to clear snowy and icy highways, Mid-Atlantic officials spent Christmas Day preparing for up to a foot of snow, plunging temperatures and high winds.

"Our concern is tomorrow it's going to get significantly colder," Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell told The Weather Channel on Saturday evening. "Winds with gusts up to 45 miles per hour will cause blowing snow and that's going to cause the worst of it ... and we're urging extreme caution in travel. Try to get home early and if you don't have to travel don't go."
    Continental Airlines canceled 250 Sunday departures from Newark Liberty International Airport outside New York City. United Airlines announced late Saturday that it had canceled dozens of Sunday departures from Newark, Philadelphia, New York's LaGuardia and JFK, Boston and other airports. AirTran also canceled flights, as did Southwest Airlines, mostly in or out of Washington Dulles, Baltimore and Newar.

link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101226/ap_on_bi_ge/us_holiday_travel

Anonymous

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 am

Yeap, the BBC has called them blizzards, that has to be serious http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12081749 they are not known for exagerating
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Cold weather endangers sea creatures
    By KYLE PETERSON
    Published Sunday, December 26, 2010

Thousands of dead starfish that littered a beach near Charleston last weekend are the first signs of what might become a disastrous winter for coastal sea life. They died because water was chilled to a lethal temperature by frigid weather earlier this month.

With coastal waters already hovering near critical lows, biologists worry there might be a mass die-off of shrimp, sea trout and red drum as the season turns cold again.

William Gay, owner of Port Royal Seafood, said he has heard Beaufort crab trappers talk about dead shrimp showing up in their crab pots, but said the cold water hasn't yet affected his business.

S.C. Department of Natural Resources biologists also heard reports of stunned red drum and sea trout.

Though Beaufort County is only about 50 miles south of the starfish die-off, water temperatures have been a bit warmer, and the extra warmth has helped.

"It still gets a lot colder there than it does here," said Larry Toomer, owner of Bluffton Oyster Co. "I don't see any signs that would say it's damaged anything or killed anything so far."

Shrimp and other marine life can die off en masse when water temperatures remain in the mid-40s for any length of time. Fisheries biologists watched in alarm earlier this month as water temperature plunged toward that temperature before warming a bit.

"According to my meter, it's 47 degrees," Toomer said. "When we get some sunshiny days, it rises back up."

Computer models predict a few instances of freezing temperatures during the next three or four weeks, said Mark Malsick, severe weather liaison for the S.C. Climate Office.

"We've got to see what these next two months bring, because January and February can be brutal," Toomer said.

Bo Petersen of the Charleston Post & Courier contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.islandpacket.com/2010/12/26/1490923/cold-weather-endangers-sea-creatures.html#ixzz19Mt81ojK

Love Always
    mudra
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:11 am

Floods force evacuations in eastern Australia
    http://maps.google.com/maps?z=5&q=SYDNEY&hl=en
    By Madeleine Coorey (AFP)

SYDNEY — Military helicopters were called in Tuesday to help evacuate hundreds of Australians stranded by rising floodwaters, as entire towns were inundated by the worst deluges in parts of the region in decades.

Torrential rains following in the wake of tropical cyclone Tasha, which last week crossed into the northeastern state of Queensland before quickly fading, have swollen rivers and flooded scores of farms and homes in the state.

Some towns saw their worst floods in 50 years, including Theodore some 400 kilometres (250 miles) northwest of Brisbane, which has been cut off for two days and whose 350 residents were being evacuated by helicopter.

Local Banana Shire Council Mayor Maureen Clancy said the town was "just a sea of water", telling Australian news agency AAP that floodwaters had even reached its evacuation centre.

"Following a request from Queensland, the government is providing two Blackhawk helicopters to assist in the evacuation of Theodore," Prime Minister Julia Gillard said in a statement.

"Australian Defence Force personnel are on stand-by to offer further support if required."

By early afternoon, the Dawson River at Theodore was at 14.59 metres (48 feet) and rising -- way beyond the town's 1956 record of 14.07 metres -- and most of the town under water.

As many as 1,000 people have been forced from their homes by the waters, which has affected large parts of central and southern Queensland, with more than 100 homes and businesses inundated.

Officials said while the rain was abating in some places, a vast amount of water upstream was yet to flow through the towns as it made its way to the sea.

"There's an enormous amount of water still coming and I think that's the problem, the unknown we've got to face," Western Downs Mayor Ray Brown told ABC Radio after touring affected communities by air.

The Queensland government has declared several areas, including Theodore, Chinchilla and Dalby, disaster zones -- a move that gives police the power to force people from their homes if necessary.

"We are facing a really significant event here right across many parts of Queensland -- a lot of flooding, a lot of people isolated, a lot of evacuations now occurring and a lot more rain to come," Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts said.

The floods are estimated to have cost grain farmers more than 400 million US dollars, while the crisis has closed hundreds of roads, shutting down parts of major highways.

The government said that it would provide assistance to communities affected by the flooding, helping restore essential infrastructure such as roads, bridges and schools.

"While conditions across much of Queensland have eased, the threat from floodwaters remains in many areas," Gillard said, adding that while authorities had evacuated some people, other communities remained stranded.

Police have warned residents not to attempt to drive through waterlogged roads, after they were forced to rescue several people from vehicles -- including two adults and two toddlers who were forced to cling to trees after their car was swept away.

They also arrested three teenagers after they attempted to use inflatable mattresses in a "foolish and dangerous" attempt to ride floodwaters for 30 kilometres to get to Brisbane on Monday.

"It's tomfoolery ... people on li-los (inflatable mattresses) floating down rivers, it's madness, we implore people to stop the silliness," assistant police commissioner Brett Pointing said.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gYipzIXe7V9xvP77QoD-HqzUEZKg?docId=CNG.7bc661a1faea59e2588ad42829d309fa.891

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Southern California quake swarm increasing
    Earthquakes are increasing again near the Salton Sea.
    The area has had a lull in quakes for quite a while, however it is becoming active again.

The USGS states that two near magnitude four quake struck the area on Monday. These quakes were in a known seismic zone, near the San Andreas Fault.

No one can predict earthquakes, however one should always be ready in California.

On a side note, a storm system is coming to Southern California after Tuesday.

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-los-angeles/southern-california-quake-swarm-increasing
    http://www.theweatherspace.com/news/12_27_2010_southern-california-quake-swarm-increasing.html

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Eyjafjallajökull volcano with dark steam emissions
    http://live.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

Inflation starts again in Eyjafjallajökull volcano
    Posted on December 21, 2010 by Jón Frímann
    After a few months of a period of stability in Eyjafjallajökull volcano after the eruption ended on the 28th of May 2010. There seems to be more instability starting again in Eyjafjallajökull volcano. This instability can so far only be seen on GPS sensors around the volcano. So far the inflation that is starting at medium rate, about 5mm on every 24 hours or so. This is clear when a early results (not error corrected) are checked from Icelandic Met Office GPS network. The trigger for the current instability appears to be a sharp deflation that took place in Eyjafjallajökull volcano few days ago.

Automatic GPS data from 21st of December 2010. The GPS station name is THEY and is on the south slope of Eyjafjallajökull volcano. The sharp deflation appears clearly on the GPS automatic data (not error corrected) and is followed by a sharp inflation period that is currently ongoing. I got a email from a expert that tells me that volcano ash can interfere with the GPS signal. But this does not change my opinion on that a inflation is about to start in Eyjafjallajökull volcano.

It currently remains unclear if this inflation period in Eyjafjallajökull volcano is going to continue. At current time the inflation in Eyjafjallajökull volcano is going to continue. It is also clear that today Eyjafjallajökull volcano is few weeks from re-starting the eruption, as it has not inflated enough to do so. But what is unclear is if this inflation and inflow of new magma under Eyjafjallajökull volcano is going to move around older magma that currently is higher up in the Eyjafjallajökull volcano plumbing after the eruption started earlier this year. For the moment the only that can be done is to wait and see what happens next.

Wikipedia articles on Eyjafjallajökull volcano

Eyjafjallajökull
    2010 eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull

Text updated at 23:49 UTC on 21st of December 2010.

[ www.jonfr.com

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:56 pm

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:20 am