tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+22
We Are You
Eartheart
Aquaries1111
hobbit
Lionhawk
Brook
burgundia
lindabaker
Beren
Sanicle
Rasa
starninja
malletzky
icecold
Mercuriel
TRANCOSO
Mariadine
Floyd
mudra
Carol
Vidya Moksha
devakas
26 posters

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts

devakas
    devakas

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts - Page 5 Empty Re: Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts

Post  devakas Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:44 pm

lol so cute!! Cow Let me guess its Mercuriel who loves cows. me too. Thanks for the icon. I had good laugh you guys... lol
    Flowers Cow

Cow

you are all the best!
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts - Page 5 Empty Re: Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts

Post  Carol Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 pm

How ironic IceCold as we do the same type of brain entrainment only with neurobiofeedback using flickering lights (glasses) www.roshi.com

es and disadvantages of delta brainwave stimulation (0 - 4hz)
    Delta brainwaves are the lowest in brainwave frequency: ranging from 0 - 4 Hz, but are the highest in amplitude They are considered the most relaxing brainwave frequency range and are commonly associated with the deepest sleep [stages 3 & 4] and a state of unconscious awareness. Delta brainwaves, like other slower brainwave patterns, are generated in the right hemisphere, though they may be observed in widespread patterns throughout various parts of the brain. The delta brainwave range is associated with empathy, the unconscious mind, and a decreased sense of awareness but also with slow mind.

Advantages of increasing delta brainwaves:

Release of Anti-Aging hormones
    One of the associated benefits of increasing your delta brainwaves is the release of anti-aging hormones. The delta brainwave pattern stimulates the release of melatonin and DHEA, 2 powerful anti-aging hormones. The delta brainwaves are also associated with decreased levels of cortisol - a hormone linked to stress that has been scientifically proven to speed up the aging process.

State of empathy
    Delta brainwaves can provide you with the ability to read other peoples emotions and determine their feelings at unconscious levels. In healthy amounts, delta brainwaves cause a person to have an advanced state of empathy, understanding, and compassion for others. If you are always able to relate to others and can “read other people’s minds,” you probably have more delta than the average person. If you find yourself getting into trouble for not being considerate enough or for “stepping on other people’s toes,” you may have less overall delta brainwave activity.

Extreme bliss
    Advanced meditation practices and yogic traditions have associated the delta brainwave frequency range with a feeling of all-encompassing bliss. Since most people aren’t able to consciously experience the delta brainwave state, it may be tough to feel extreme bliss from the delta waves like the yogis, monks, or advanced meditators. With that said, there have been people that have testified to feeling the bliss associated with the delta brainwave while performing extremely deep meditation.

Advanced healing of body and mind
    The delta brainwave rhythm is known to completely rejuvenate, replenish, and heal the entire body and brain. The delta brainwave revives the body after a hard day by rejenerating necessary chemicals while a person is asleep. Due to the deepest levels of relaxation that the delta brainwave provides, the body and mind are easily able to restore themselves after minor stress, a rigorous workout, or after boosting your brain power.

Human Growth Hormone (H.G.H.) Release
    The delta brainwave is associated with the stimulation of the pituitary gland, which in-turn, is able to release human-growth-hormone — commonly referred to as H.G.H. It doesn’t release enough for you to skyrocket in height and weight. The delta brainwave will not provide adults with a second version of puberty. With that said, there is evidence that it does release slight amounts of H.G.H. in certain individuals. If you are looking to increase your H.G.H., you should definitely consider using delta brainwave entrainment and evaluate how it works out for you!

Connection with unconscious mind
    Though the alpha and theta brainwaves are capable of bridging the gap between conscious thoughts and the subconscious mind, the delta brainwave allows us to connect deeper: it allows us to connect with the deepest possible level of our consciousness. The goal of many meditation practices is to experience and consciously control the unconscious mind. The subconscious mind, or our brain’s right-hemisphere, becomes activated when slower brainwaves like alpha, theta, and delta waves kick in.

Deepest possible level of mind / body relaxation
    Delta brainwaves while a person is conscious or awake, are extremely rare. However, advanced meditators and infants, are 2 groups of people that are able to enjoy the deeply relaxing benefits of the delta brainwave. Remember what you felt like when you were an infant? Probably not - the delta brainwave is associated with extreme relaxation, yet completely unconscious mental processes.

Perfect intuition
    Ever have a powerful gut-instinct that helped you make a good decision? Or a gut-instinct that you should’ve followed? If we get ourselves too caught up in the upper brainwave patterns of beta, our intuitiveness becomes severely damaged. As you increase your theta brainwaves and your delta brainwaves, your intuition will increase and so will your ability to recognize the feelings in your “gut.” There are some disagreements as to whether or not the theta brainwave patterns are better for intuition vs. the delta brainwave patterns, but most research suggests that if you can become consciously aware in the delta brainwave state, you will have a nearly perfect sense of intuition.

Connecting with the spiritual body
    Many consider the delta brainwave to bridge the conscious mind with higher planes of reality, the subconscious mind, and / or the unconscious mind. Advanced spiritual gurus have considered the lowest brainwave pattern, delta, one that connects their spirit and their body to a universal life energy. Becoming consciously aware of experiencing the delta brainwave frequencies has been associated with the deepest sense of spirituality, highest sense of internal awareness, and feeling directly connected to a Higher Power.

Paranormal Experiences
    People are especially open to O.O.B.E.’s (Out Of Body Experiences), astral travel, connecting with spiritual beings (i.e. “spirit guides,” “angels,” etc.), E.S.P., and other phenomenon in the delta brainwave range. Though most paranormal and psychic experiences can be argued to be real or fake, there is evidence that most people tend to have them when their brain is producing higher than average amounts of delta, and /or theta brainwaves. Though spiritual experiences and phenomena are commonly experienced in the theta brainwave state, the delta brainwave state has been associated with many too!

Boosted immune system
    Increasing your delta brainwaves can lead to a boosted immune system due to the fact that delta brainwaves are associated with age-reversal or slowing, the production of healthy hormones, and significantly decreased amounts of stress. Increasing your delta brainwaves can lead to a boosted immune system due to the fact that delta brainwaves are associated with healing and rejuvenation of the body. Stress and too much anxiety can do harm to the immune system by releasing harmful chemicals such as epinephrine (adrenaline) and too much of the hormone: cortisol, associated with the adrenaline release. The delta brainwave releases pleasant chemicals and neurotransmitters to help keep your immune system at arguably its highest rate of performance.

Problems associated with too many delta brainwaves:

Packing on excess “emotional baggage”
    If you’ve ever been told that you worry too much about the emotions of others or literally “feel what others are feeling,” chances are good that you have too much delta. While some people may enjoy increased empathy, others may feel like they are too caught up in other people’s emotional lives. The delta brainwave can definitely make you pack on too many extra emotions if you aren’t prepared.

Extremely unfocused mind
    Not everyone may particularly enjoy an increased amount of delta brainwaves in their waking E.E.G. The delta brainwave range has been linked to extremely unfocused, unconscious thinking, and ADD. The delta brainwave range can increase mental fogginess, dreaming, and forgetfulness. If you are already extremely unfocused, increasing your delta brainwaves isn’t recommended.

Extreme sleepiness
    Since the delta brainwave pattern has been linked to the deepest stages of dreamless sleep, increasing this brainwave may make you feel more sleepy than you normally do. The delta brainwave is found in individuals that are sound asleep. Drowsiness and extreme sleepiness will occur if the delta brainwave is displayed while a person is awake. When increasing your delta brainwaves, it is extremely common to fall asleep as your brain is being trained. You will wake up feeling refreshed though. It is very difficult to stay aware in the delta state of consciousness unless you are advanced in the practice of meditation.

Hyperactivity
    Because the brain is functioning at the slowest possible brainwave pattern, the central nervous system uses up virtually zero energy. All of the energy that you’ve accumulated throughout the day from eating food needs to be put to use somehow. Having too much delta brainwave activity allows your brain and CNS to get by with very little energy. Since the brain and CNS use less overall energy, the excess energy is expressed in some people through hyperactivity.

Healthy ways to increase delta brainwaves:

Brainwave entrainment
    As I mention a lot, brainwave entrainment is great for fine tuning your state of consciousness and awareness. If you want to easily and naturally experience delta brainwaves, brainwave entrainment is an easy process that involves simply listening to a tone (stimulus) and your brainwaves will automatically, naturally shift in order to match the desired frequency associated with the acoustic tone. While delta brainwave states usually occur in deep sleep, it is possible to train yourself to remain awake while experiencing the delta brainwave.

Getting a good night’s sleep
    Delta activity is present in stages 3 and 4 of sleep. Getting a good night’s sleep is important for staying healthy, keeping a healthy, powerful brain. Though delta brainwaves will not increase when you wake up the next day, they are highly prevalent in your brain while you are deeply asleep. Most non-dream, deep sleep is linked to an increase in delta brainwave activity, whereas dream-sleep is mostly linked to theta brainwave activity.

Meditation
    The goal of most types of meditation is to lower the brainwaves into the alpha-theta brainwave range. A very safe, healthy way to attempt to increase your delta brainwaves is to make the act of meditation a daily habit or start up a meditation routine. If you are already meditating, great - you’ll naturally increase your flexibility to travel through the alpha brainwave range, possibly through the theta brainwave range, and into the depths of the delta brainwave range.

Hypnosis / Self-hypnosis
    The goal of all hypnosis and self-hypnosis programs is to target the lower brainwave ranges (i.e. alpha and theta) and implant new beliefs. If you practice frequent enough, and long enough, you may find that you are able to tap into your inner delta brainwave awareness.

Yoga
    Like meditation, yoga is yet another activity that promotes relaxation and wellbeing by shifting your brainwaves to the calming patterns of alpha, theta, and sometimes delta. The yogic phenomenon of suspended animation has been claimed to only take place in the delta brainwave range. Though there are many different types of yoga, if they are practiced correctly, they can be utilized to slow brainwaves to tap the delta awareness and insight from within.

Unhealthy ways to increase delta brainwaves:

Skipping sleep
    Depriving yourself of a good night’s sleep or completely skipping sleep will increase the amount of cortisol (a hormone associated with stress and aging) and will flood your brain with a combination of unfocused brainwaves: mostly theta, some delta and in some cases high-beta. If you have ever pulled an “all nighter,” you’ll know that skipping sleep makes you feel extremely unfocused, dizzy, and confused. This is due to to a combination of unbalanced chemicals, hormones, and brainwaves. Not a wise idea to skip sleep to increase your delta brainwaves.

Final evaluation of delta brainwaves:

I personally think that delta brainwaves are very unique to experience and everyone has a different reaction. The deep spaced-out connection associated with delta activity can feel great. You should be the judge as to whether or not increasing delta is the brainwave you want to experiment with. If you are already experiencing many of the listed “benefits,” your delta brainwave could be within it’s healthiest range.

Are you already a mentally fogged person? If so, chances are good that your brain could be naturally producing some delta brainwave activity. However, most people do not have large amounts of the delta brainwave unless they are in the deepest sleep stages. If you are experiencing too many of the listed negative effects, you may want to consider speeding up your brainwaves into the beta range.

Extracted from:
    Understanding the delta brainwave

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    devakas
    devakas

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts - Page 5 Empty Beatles chant

Post  devakas Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:14 pm

the Beatles - Hare Krishna Mantra

Spontaneous little jam on the Hare Krishna Mantra. As a play on words, Paul sings Harry Pinsker instead of Hare Krishna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOmaczgb-AI&NR=1

:heart2:
    devakas
    devakas

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts - Page 5 Empty John Lennon and Hare Krishna

Post  devakas Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:35 pm

Another GEM! I did not know the spirit behind the great songs Let it be and Give peace a chance. This is very rare interview with George Harison. Here it is:

Recorded 8 January 1969

In this conversation, taped at George’s home in England on September 4, 1982

If you open up your heart
    You will know what I mean
    We’ve been polluted so long
    But here’s a way for you to get clean

By chanting the names of the Lord and you’ll be free
    The Lord is awaiting on you all to awaken and see.

Mukunda Goswami: Oftentimes you speak of yourself as a plainclothes devotee, a closet yogi or "closet Krishna," and millions of people all over the world have been introduced to the chanting by your songs. But what about you? How did you first come in contact with Krishna?

George Harrison: Through my visits to India. So by the time the Hare Krishna movement first came to England in 1969, John and I had already gotten ahold of Prabhupada’s first album, Krishna Consciousness.(SIDE A / SIDE B) We had played it a lot and liked it. That was the first time I’d ever heard the chanting of the maha-mantra.

Mukunda: Even though you and John Lennon played Srila Prabhupada’s record a lot and had chanted quite a bit on your own, you’d never really met any of the devotees. Yet when Gurudasa, Syamasundara, and I [the first Hare Krishna devotees sent from America, to open a temple in London] first came to England, you co-signed the lease on our first temple in central London, bought the Manoryoga-aSrama* for us, which has provided a place for literally hundreds of thousands of people to learn about Krishna consciousness, and financed the first printing of the book Krishna. You hadn’t really known us for a very long time at all. Wasn’t this a kind of sudden change for you?

George: Not really, for I always felt at home with Krishna. You see it was already a part of me. I think it’s something that’s been with me from my previous birth. Your coming to England and all that was just like another piece of a jigsaw puzzle that was coming together to make a complete picture. It had been slowly fitting together. That’s why I responded to you all the way I did when you first came to London. Let’s face it. If you’re going to have to stand up and be counted, I figured, "I would rather be with these guys than with those other guys over there." It’s like that. I mean I’d rather be one of the devotees of God than one of the straight, so-called sane or normal people who just don’t understand that man is a spiritual being, that he has a soul. And I felt comfortable with you all, too, kind of like we’d known each other before. It was a pretty natural thing, really.

Mukunda: George, in your recently published autobiography, I, Me, Mine, you said your song "Awaiting on You All" is about japa-yoga, or chanting mantras on beads. You explained that a mantra is "mystical energy encased in a sound structure," and that "each mantra contains within its vibrations a certain power." But of all mantras, you stated that "the maha-mantra [the Hare Krishna mantra] has been prescribed as the easiest and surest way for attaining God Realization in this present age." As a practitioner of japa-yoga, what realizations have you experienced from chanting?

George: Prabhupada, acarya (spiritual master) of the Hare Krishna movement, told me once that we should just keep chanting all the time, or as much as possible. Once you do that, you realize the benefit. The response that comes from chanting is in the form of bliss, or spiritual happiness, which is a much higher taste than any happiness found here in the material world. That’s why I say that the more you do it, the more you don’t want to stop, because it feels so nice and peaceful.

Mukunda: What is it about the mantra that brings about this feeling of peace and happiness?

George: The word Hare is the word that calls upon the energy that’s around the Lord. If you say the mantra enough, you build up an identification with God. God’s all happiness, all bliss, and by chanting His names we connect with Him. So it’s really a process of actually having a realization of God, which all becomes clear with the expanded state of consciousness that develops when you chant. Like I said in the introduction I wrote for Prabhupada’s Krsna book some years ago, "If there’s a God, I want to see Him. It’s pointless to believe in something without proof, and Krishna consciousness and meditation are methods where you can actually obtain God perception."

Mukunda: Is it an instantaneous process, or gradual?

George: You don’t get it in five minutes. It’s something that takes time, but it works because it’s a direct process of attaining God and will help us to have pure consciousness and good perception that is above the normal, everyday state of consciousness.

Mukunda: How do you feel after chanting for a long time?

George: In the life I lead, I find that I sometimes have opportunities when I can really get going at it, and the more I do it, I find the harder it is to stop, and I don’t want to lose the feeling it gives me.

For example, once I chanted the Hare Krishna mantra all the way from France to Portugal, nonstop. I drove for about twenty-three hours and chanted all the way. It gets you feeling a bit invincible. The funny thing was that I didn’t even know where I was going. I mean I had bought a map, and I knew basically which way I was aiming, but I couldn’t speak French, Spanish, or Portuguese. But none of that seemed to matter. You know, once you get chanting, then things start to happen transcendentally.

Mukunda: The Vedas inform us that because God is absolute, there is no difference between God the person and His holy name; the name is God. When you first started chanting, could you perceive that?

George: It takes a certain amount of time and faith to accept or to realize that there is no difference between Him and His name, to get to the point where you’re no longer mystified by where He is. You know, like, "Is He around here?" You realize after some time, "Here He is–right here!" It’s a matter of practice. So when I say that "l see God," I don’t necessarily mean to say that when I chant I’m seeing Krishna in His original form when He came five thousand years ago, dancing across the water, playing His flute. Of course, that would also be nice, and it’s quite possible too. When you become real pure by chanting, you can actually see God like that, I mean personally. But no doubt you can feel His presence and know that He’s there when you’re chanting.

Mukunda: Can you think of any incident where you felt God’s presence very strongly through chanting?

George: Once I was on an airplane that was in an electric storm. It was hit by lightning three times, and a Boeing 707 went over the top of us, missing by inches. I thought the back end of the plane had blown off. I was on my way from Los Angeles to New York to organize the Bangladesh concert. As soon as the plane began bouncing around, I started chanting Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. The whole thing went on for about an hour and a half or two hours, the plane dropping hundreds of feet and bouncing all over in the storm, all the lights out and all these explosions, and everybody terrified. I ended up with my feet pressed against the seat in front, my seat belt as tight as it could be, gripping on the thing, and yelling Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare at the top of my voice. I know for me, the difference between making it and not making it was actually chanting the mantra. Peter Sellers also swore that chanting Hare* Krishna saved him from a plane crash once.

John Lennon and Hare Krishna

Mukunda: Did any of the other Beatles chant?

George: Before meeting Prabhupada and all of you, I had bought that album Prabhupada did in New York .(SIDE A / SIDE B) , and John and I listened to it. I remember we sang it for days, John and I, with ukulele banjos, sailing through the Greek Islands chanting Hare Krishna. Like six hours we sang, because we couldn’t stop once we got going. As soon as we stopped, it was like the lights went out. It went on to the point where our jaws were aching, singing the mantra over and over and over and over and over. We felt exalted; it was a very happy time for us.

Mukunda
    : You know, I saw a video the other day sent to us from Canada, showing John and Yoko Ono recording their hit song "Give Peace a Chance," and about five or six of the devotees were there in John’s room at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, singing along and playing cymbals and drums. You know, John and Yoko chanted Hare Krishna on that song. That was in May of ’69, and just three months later, Srila Prabhupada was John and Yoko’s house guest for one month at their estate outside London.

While Prabhupada was there, you, John, and Yoko came to his room one afternoon for a few hours. I think that was the first time you all met him.

George: That’s right.

Mukunda: At that point John was a spiritual seeker, and Prabhupada explained the true path to peace and liberation. He talked about the eternality of the soul, karma, and reincarnation, which are all elaborately dealt with in the Vedic literatures.Vedas, predating the Bible and covering all aspects of spiritual knowledge from the nature of the self, or individual soul, to the Supreme Soul (Sri Krishna) and His kingdom in the spiritual world. Although John never made Hare Krishna a big part of his life, he echoed the philosophy of Krishna consciousness in a hit song he wrote just about a year after that conversation, "Instant Karma."

Now what’s the difference between chanting Hare Krishna and meditation?

George: It’s really the same sort of thing as meditation, but I think it has a quicker effect. I mean, even if you put your beads down, you can still say the mantra or sing it without actually keeping track on your beads. One of the main differences between silent meditation and chanting is that silent meditation is rather dependent on concentration, but when you chant, it’s more of a direct connection with God.

Mukunda: George, you and John Lennon met Srila Prabhupada together when he stayed at John’s home, in September of 1969.

George: Yes, but when I met him at first, I underestimated him. I didn’t realize it then, but I see now that because of him, the mantra has spread so far in the last sixteen years, more than it had in the last five centuries. Now that’s pretty amazing, because he was getting older and older, yet he was writing his books all the time. I realized later on that he was much more incredible than what you could see on the surface.

Mukunda: What about him stands out the most in your mind?

George: The thing that always stays is his saying, "I am the servant of the servant of the servant." I like that. A lot of people say, "I’m it. I’m the divine incarnation. I’m here and let me hip you." You know what I mean? But Prabhupada was never like that. I liked Prabhupada’s humbleness. I always liked his humility and his simplicity The servant of the servant of the servant is really what it is, you know. None of us are God–just His servants. He just made me feel so comfortable. I always felt very relaxed with him, and I felt more like a friend. I felt that he was a good friend. Even though he was at the time seventy-nine years old, working practically all through the night, day after day, with very little sleep, he still didn’t come through to me as though he was a very highly educated intellectual being, because he had a sort of childlike simplicity. Which is great, fantastic. Even though he was the greatest Sanskrit scholar and a saint, I appreciated the fact that he never made me feel uncomfortable. In fact, he always went out of his way to make me feel comfortable. I always thought of him as sort of a lovely friend, really, and now he’s still a lovely friend.
    And if I didn’t get feedback from Prabhupada on my songs about Krishna or the philosophy, I’d get it from the devotees. That’s all the encouragement I needed really. It just seemed that anything spiritual I did, either through songs, or helping with publishing the books, or whatever, really pleased him. The song I wrote, "Living in the Material World," as I wrote in I, Me, Mine, was influenced by Srila Prabhupada. He’s the one who explained to me how we’re not these physical bodies. We just happen to be in them.

Like I said in the song, this place’s not really what’s happening. We don’t belong here, but in the spiritual sky:

.. As l’m fated for the material world
    Get frustrated in the material world
    Senses never gratified
    Only swelling like a tide
    That could drown me in the material world..

The whole point to being here, really, is to figure a way to get out.
    I think Prabhupada’s accomplishments are very significant; they’re huge. Even compared to someone like William Shakespeare, the amount of literature Prabhupada produced is truly amazing. It boggles the mind. He sometimes went for days with only a few hours sleep. I mean even a youthful, athletic young person couldn’t keep the pace he kept himself at seventy-nine years of age.

Srila Prabhupada has already had an amazing effect on the world. There’s no way of measuring it. One day I just realized, "God, this man is amazing!" He would sit up all night translating Sanskrit into English, putting in glossaries to make sure everyone understands it, and yet he never came off as someone above you. He always had that childlike simplicity, and what’s most amazing is the fact that he did all this translating in such a relatively short time–just a few years. And without having anything more than his own Krishna consciousness, he rounded up all these thousands of devotees, set the whole movement in motion, which became something so strong that it went on even after he left. And it’s still escalating even now at an incredible rate. It will go on and on from the knowledge he gave. It can only grow and grow. The more people wake up spiritually, the more they’ll begin to realize the depth of what Prabhupada was saying–how much he gave.

Mukunda: Did you know that complete sets of Prabhupada’s books are in all the major colleges and universities in the world, including Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Oxford, Cambridge, and the Sorbonne?

George: They should be! One of the greatest things I noticed about Prabhupada was the way he would be talking to you in English, and then all of a sudden he would say it to you in Sanskrit and then translate it back into English. It was clear that he really knew it well.

Mukunda: You write in your autobiography that "No matter how good you are, you still need grace to get out of the material world. You can be a yogi or a monk or a nun, but without God’s grace you still can’t make it." And at the end of the song "Living in the Material World," the Iyrics say, "Got to get out of this place by the Lord Sri Krishna’s grace, my salvation from the material world." If we’re dependent on the grace of God, what does the expression "God helps those who help themselves" mean?

George: It’s flexible, I think. In one way, I’m never going to get out of here unless it’s by His grace but then again, His grace is relative to the amount of desire I can manifest in myself. The amount of grace I would expect from God should be equal to the amount of grace I can gather or earn. I get out what I put in. Like in the song I wrote about Prabhupada:

· The Lord loves the one that loves the Lord
    And the law says if you don’t give,
    then you don’t get loving
    Now the Lord helps those that help themselves
    And the law says whatever you do
    It comes right back on you

–"The Lord Loves the One that Loves the Lord"
    from Living in the Material World

Have you heard that song "That Which I Have Lost" from my new album, Somewhere in England? It’s right out of the Bhagavad-gita. In it I talk about fighting the forces of darkness, limitations, falsehood, and mortality.

Mukunda: What do you think is the goal of human life?

George: Each individual has to burn out his own karma and escape from the chains of maya (illusion), reincarnation, and all that. The best thing anyone can give to humanity is God consciousness. Then you can really give them something. But first you have to concentrate on your own spiritual advancement; so in a sense we have to become selfish to become selfless.

Mukunda: What about trying to solve the problems of life without employing the spiritual process?

George: Life is like a piece of string with a lot of knots tied in it. The knots are the karma you’re born with from all your past lives, and the object of human life is to try and undo all those knots. That’s what chanting and meditation in God consciousness can do. Otherwise you simply tie another ten knots each time you try to undo one knot. That’s how karma works. I mean, we’re now the results of our past actions, and in the future we’ll be the results of the actions we’re performing now. A little understanding of "As you sow, so shall you reap" is important, because then you can’t blame the condition you’re in on anyone else. You know that it’s by your own actions you’re able to get more in a mess or out of one. It’s your own actions that relieve or bind you.

"My Sweet Lord"

Mukunda: I don’t think it’s possible to calculate just how many people were turned on to Krishna consciousness by your song "My Sweet Lord." But you went through quite a personal thing before you decided to do that song. In your book you said, "I thought a lot about whether to do ‘My Sweet Lord’ or not because I would be committing myself publicly … Many people fear the words Lord and God … I was sticking my neck out on the chopping block … but at the same time I thought ‘Nobody’s saying it … why should I be untrue to myself?’ I came to believe in the importance that if you feel something strong enough, then you should say it.

"I wanted to show that Hallelujah and Hare Krishna are quite the same thing. I did the voices singing ‘Hallelujah’ and then the change to ‘Hare Krishna’ so that people would be chanting the maha-mantra-before they knew what was going on! I had been chanting Hare Krishna for a long time, and this song was a simple idea of how to do a Western pop equivalent of a mantra which repeats over and over again the holy names. I don’t feel guilty or bad about it; in fact it saved many a heroin addict’s life."

Why did you feel you wanted to put Hare Krishna on the album at all? Wouldn’t "Hallelujah" alone have been good enough?

George: Well, first of all "Hallelujah" is a joyous expression the Christians have, but "Hare Krishna" has a mystical side to it. It’s more than just glorifying God; it’s asking to become His servant. And because of the way the mantra is put together, with the mystic spiritual energy contained in those syllables, it’s much closer to God than the way Christianity currently seems to be representing Him. Although Christ in my mind is an absolute yogi, I think many Christian teachers today are misrepresenting Christ. They’re supposed to be representing Jesus, but they’re not doing it very well. They’re letting him down very badly, and that’s a big turn off.

My idea in "My Sweet Lord," because it sounded like a "pop song," was to sneak up on them a bit. The point was to have the people not offended by "Hallelujah," and by the time it gets to "Hare Krishna," they’re already hooked, and their foot’s tapping, and they’re already singing along "Hallelujah," to kind of lull them into a sense of false security. And then suddenly it turns into "Hare Krishna," and they will all be singing that before they know what’s happened, and they will think, "Hey, I thought I wasn’t supposed to like Hare Krishna!"

People write to me even now asking what style that was. Ten years later they’re still trying to figure out what the words mean. It was just a little trick really. And it didn’t offend. For some reason I never got any offensive feedback from Christians who said "We like it up to a point, but what’s all this about Hare Krishna?"

Hallelujah may have originally been some mantric thing that got watered down, but I’m not sure what it really means. The Greek word for Christ is Kristos, which is, let’s face it, Krishna, and Kristos is the same name actually.
    Mukunda: What would you say is the difference between the Christian view of God, and Krishna as represented in the Bhagavad-gita?

George: When I first came to this house, it was occupied by nuns. I brought in this poster of Visnu [a four-armed form of Krishna]. You just see His head and shoulders and His four arms holding a conchshell and various other symbols, and it has a big om. This transcendental syllable, which represents Krishna, has been chanted by many persons throughout history for spiritual perfection.* written above it. He has a nice aura around Him. I left it by the fireplace and went out into the garden. When we came back in thc house, they all pounced on me, saying, "Who is that? What is it?" as if it were some pagan god. So I said, "Well, if God is unlimited, then He can appear in any form, whichever way He likes to appear. That’s one way. He’s called Visnu." It sort of freaked them out a bit, but the point is, why should God be limited? Even if you get Him as Krishna, He is not limited to that picture of Krishna. He can be the baby form, He can be Govinda and manifest in so many other well-known forms. You can see Krishna as a little boy, which is how I like to see Krishna. It’s a joyful relationship. But there’s this morbid side to the way many represent Christianity today, where you don’t smile, because it’s too serious, and you can’t expect to see God–that kind of stuff. If there is God, we must see Him, and I don’t believe in the idea you find in most churches, where they say, "No, you’re not going to see Him. He’s way up above you. Just believe what we tell you and shut up."

I mean, the knowledge that’s given in Prabhupada’s books–the Vedic stuff–that’s the world’s oldest scriptures. They say that man can become purified, and with divine vision he can see God. You get pure by chanting, then you see Him. And Sanskrit, the language they’re written in, is the world’s first recorded language. Devanagari [the alphabet of the Sanskrit language] actually means "language of the gods."

Chanting Hare Krishna can make a person a better Christian, too.

Karma and Reincarnation

Mukunda: In I, Me, Mine, you speak about karma and reincarnation, and how the only way to get out of the cycle is to take up a bona fide spiritual process. You said at one point, "Everybody is worried about dying, but the cause of death is birth, so if you don’t want to die, you don’t get born!" Did any of the other Beatles believe in reincarnation?

George: I’m sure John does! And I wouldn’t want to underestimate Paul and Ringo. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re hoping it’s true, you know what I mean? For all I know, Ringo might be a yogi disguised as a drummer!

Mukunda: Paul has our latest book, Coming Back: The Science of Reincarnation. Where do you think John’s soul is now?

George: I should hope that he’s in a good place. He had the understanding, though, that each soul reincarnates until it becomes completely pure, and that each soul finds its own level, designated by reactions to its actions in this and previous lives.

Mukunda
    : Bob Dylan did a lot of chanting at one time. He used to come to the Los Angeles temple and came to the Denver and Chicago temples as well. In fact he drove across the United States with two devotees once and wrote several songs about Krishna. They spent a lot of time chanting.

George: That’s right. He said he enjoyed the chanting and being with them. Also Stevie Wonder had you on one of his records, you know. And it was great the song he put the chanting in–"Pastimes Paradise."

Mukunda: When you were in Vrndavana, India, where Lord Krishna appeared, and you saw thousands of people chanting Hare Krishna, did it strengthen your faith in the idea of chanting to see a whole city living Hare Krishna?

George: Yeah, it fortifies you. It definitely helps. It’s fantastic to be in a place where the whole town is doing it. And I also had the idea that they were all knocked out at the idea of seeing some white person chanting on beads. Vrndavana is one of the holiest cities in India. Everyone, everywhere, chants Hare Krishna. It was my most fantastic experience.

Mukunda: You wrote in your book: "Most of the world is fooling about, especially the people who think they control the world and the community. The presidents, the politicians, the military, etc., are all jerking about, acting as if they are Lord over their own domains. That’s basically Problem One on the planet."

George: That’s right. Unless you’re doing some kind of God conscious thing and you know that He’s the one who’s really in charge, you’re just building up a lot of karma and not really helping yourself or anybody else. There’s a point in me where it’s beyond sad, seeing the state of the world today. It’s so screwed up. It’s terrible, and it will be getting worse and worse. More concrete everywhere, more pollution, more radioactivity. There’s no wilderness left, no pure air. They’re chopping the forests down. They’re polluting all the oceans. In one sense, I’m pessimistic about the future of the planet. These big guys don’t realize for everything they do, there’s a reaction. You have to pay. That’s karma.

Mukunda: Do you think there’s any hope?

George
    : Yes. One by one, everybody’s got to escape maya. Everybody has to burn out his karma and escape reincarnation and all that. Stop thinking that if Britain or America or Russia or the West or whatever becomes superior, then we’ll beat them, and then we’ll all have a rest and live happily ever after. That doesn’t work. The best thing you can give is God consciousness. Manifest your own divinity first. The truth is there. It’s right within us all. Understand what you are. If people would just wake up to what’s real, there would be no misery in the world. I guess chanting’s a pretty good place to start.

Mukunda: Thanks so much, George.

George: All right. Hare Krishna!

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:59 pm

WE can do a sing-a-long. That should be fun. Thank you for the link devakas. It will be fun to relax and have a listen. Sabina

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:26 am

Carol wrote:WE can do a sing-a-long. That should be fun. Thank you for the link devakas. It will be fun to relax and have a listen. Sabina

cheers really would be fun and happy times, Carol...

George Harrison Remembers

" I bought the Hare Krsna record in 1968 and John Lennon and I listened to it. I remember we sang the Hare Krsna mantra for days, John and I, with ukulele banjos, sailing through the Greek Islands chanting. Like six hours we sang, because we couldn't stop chanting once we got going. As soon as we stopped chanting, it was like the lights went out. It went on to the point where our jaws were aching, singing the Hare Krsna mantra over and over and over and over and over. We felt exalted; it was a very happy time for us."

"I used to sing the Hare Krsna mantra long before I met any of the devotees or long before I met Prabhupada, because I had his first record then for at least two years. When you're open to something it's like being a beacon, and you attract it."

"From the first time I heard the Hare Krsna chanting, it was like a door opened somewhere in my subconscious, maybe from some previous life."

...excerpts from the book "Chant and Be Happy"

namaste

devakas
    devakas
    devakas

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts - Page 5 Empty Another Gem

Post  devakas Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 am

The Dis-United Nations

This conversation between Swami Prabhupada and Mr.P. Sharma, United Nations worker.

Srila Prabhupada: Suppose I ask the United Nations, as an organization, to explain the purpose of this cosmic manifestation.
    I am created a man, another is created an elephant, and another is created an ant. Why is this? The sun is rising on time, the moon is rising on time, seasons are changing. What is the purpose behind all this?

Mr. Sharma: I think the United Nations would be at a loss to tell you.

Srila Prabhupada: So, people have become very dull in spite of their so-colled education.

Mr. Sharma: Oh, yes, Education today is merely book knowledge.

Srila Prabhupada: Such so -called knowledge is described in Srimad-Bhagavatam as simply a waste of time.
    Although a person may execute his duties perfectly, if he doesn't understand the purpose of creation--if he doesn't awaken his consciousness--then whatever he has done is simply a waste of time. So our point is that the United Nations is only wasting time.
    Even from the practical point of view, they are unable to accomplish anything. The original idea was to stop war.
    But there have been so many wars, and they cannot stop them. They call themselves the United Nations, but actually they are becoming disunited more and more. According to the Bhagavad-gita, if they actually want peace they must know that the Supreme Personality of Godhead is the supreme enjoyer (bhokta), that He is the supreme proprietor, and that He is everyone's friend (suhrdam sarvabhutanam).
    When they know this, He says, then there will be peace. Other wise, their big conferences in big offices will never be successful.

Mr. Sharma: That means everything belongs to God. That's the one fact they want to avoid.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, that is their nonsense. The United Nations is simply an association of the cheaters and the cheated.
    Someone wants to cheat, and someone is being cheated. That is our opinion. So how can an association of cheaters and cheated do any good for human society? They are
    cheaters. They do not know how to attain peace, but they are claiming that they will bring peace to the world. Therefore they are cheaters.

Mr.Sharma: Well, many people will say that the only things that matter are those that can be rationally explained. Anything else is beyond reason.

Srila Prabhupada: But our argument is quite reasonable. Everything in this room has been created. Isn't that so?

Mr.Sharma: Yes.

Srila Prabhupada: The table has been created, the light has been created- everything has been created by someone. So how can you deny the fact that someone has created the whole universe? If you say it has come about automatically, that is rascaldom. Someone has created it. But who is that someone?
    We are not the creators. So we can understand that someone else has created this world. And then we have to ask. Who is the proprietor?
    Shall I be the proprietor or shall the creator be the proprietor?

Mr. Sharma: The creator, of course.

Srila Prabhupada: So why are they claiming, "This is my country"?

Mr. Sharma: Are you saying that the United States, for instance, doesn't belong to the Americans?

Srila Prabhupada: Yes. It doesn't belong to them. Yet these rascals are claiming, "This is mine. This is my flag." Therefore, they are all cheaters.
    And they are combining and trying to cheat others. The Americans are thinking, "How can I cheat the Russians?" And the Russians are thinking, "How can I cheat the Americans?" Is that civilization- to become cheaters and waste time in so-called conferences? Is that civilization?

Mr. Sharma: No, not at all.

Srila Prabhupada: In America they cheated the red Indians. They got the land, and now they are claiming, "It is mine." Well, where did you get this land?
    You cheated the red Indians, and now you claim it is your land. All over the world this is going on. Napoleon thought, "France is mine."
    So, France is there, but where is Napoleon? Where is he living now? In France or in hell or in heaven? There are so many places and so many forms of life.
    In this body, in this life, I may be working as a nationalist - as a Napoleon or as a Gandhi or as someone fighting in the United Nations. But as soon as this body is finished, I will get another body. So the whole duration of my previous life is simply wasted.

Mr. Sharma: I see.

Srila Prabhupada: Simply wasted. They are simply wasting time. They don't have perfect knowledge-simply some utopian ideas. And they are passing as advanced in civilization.
    There must be a creator. So who is that creator? What is my relationship with Him? But they are neglecting all these things and still passing as world leaders.

Mr. Sharma: That's the worst kind of government. It seems that their standard is just as you've said: every nation for itself.

Srila Prabhupada: But a human being can get out of this illusion. There is sufficient knowledge, especially in the Vedic literature. So why don't they take advantage of this
    knowledge and make their lives successful? That is my proposal. We are spreading this Krsna consciousness movement only for this purpose.
    These people are missing the point and unnecessarily wasting their lives in illusion. So we are trying to save them--that is our Krsna consciousness movement.

This conversation took place in Paris in 1974.

devakas Crazy Happy
    malletzky
    malletzky

Post  malletzky Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:52 am

Srila Prabhupada: In America they cheated the red Indians. They got the land, and now they are claiming, "It is mine." Well, where did you get this land?
    You cheated the red Indians, and now you claim it is your land. All over the world this is going on. Napoleon thought, "France is mine."
    So, France is there, but where is Napoleon? Where is he living now? In France or in hell or in heaven? There are so many places and so many forms of life.
    In this body, in this life, I may be working as a nationalist - as a Napoleon or as a Gandhi or as someone fighting in the United Nations. But as soon as this body is finished, I will get another body. So the whole duration of my previous life is simply wasted.

Did he call Gandhi a nationalist in that passage? Or did I misunderstand him? It's the first time ever to read or see a comment about Gandhi in this context.

much respect
    Mall...
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:01 pm

Mall, Yes, in my opinion yes, Ghandi as nationalist. However Ghandi as a human guided to service to others, no. It is well known fact and Ghandi is well earned and respected for that.
    In the contest of conversation you are right, any nationalist is fighting wrong fight.

namaste
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:54 pm

malletzky wrote:

Did he call Gandhi a nationalist in that passage? Or did I misunderstand him? It's the first time ever to read or see a comment about Gandhi in this context.

much respect
    Mall...

Gandhi, Religion And
    Indian Nationalism

By Ram Puniyani
    Gandhi, Religion And
    Indian Nationalism

By Ram Puniyani

05 October, 2007

The Gandhi anniversary this year has been very special (2007). With UN declaring 2nd October as the International Day for Non-Violence, with the renewed interest in Gandhi all over the globe one needs to revisit the Father of Indian Nation and his yeomen contribution in the articulation of the concepts of non-violence and nationalism in Indian context. At another level his own unique definitions and practice of religion and definition of God as truth and non-violence have their own matchless place in the history of human thought.

Even before coming to India, the Mahatma had sharpened his philosophy and political methods. When he returned from South Africa, India was in the grip of religiosity and broad masses were part of the churning process due to the on going social changes. Broadly they were not yet major part of freedom movement. Gandhi on one hand had the exposure to liberal British political system and on the other had experienced the repressive South African regime, which was practicing apartheid. In India the social changes were slow to come by. The elite through different political formations dominated political process at that point of time. We had Indian National Congress, mainly espousing Indian nationalism, where the elite were the main participants. In Muslim League and Hindu Mahasabha, the landlords and princes were the core participants, later they were joined in by those few who came from the background of modern education. They were not from the landed gentry but they did develop political ideologies suiting the interests of feudal classes. Gandhi's decision, to launch non-cooperation movement, and to involve broad layers of society, alienated some of elites from within Congress. Those from communal organizations were not concerned about freedom movement anyway. Some from the Congress left in due course of time to join the communal formations. Gandhi was firm on the involvement of whole nation in the process of national movement.Anchor posted a thread a while ago that gives Gandhi another color than the one I used to know .

http://www.webspawner.com/users/gandhi/

The word Nationalism has several meanings . I believe concerning Gandhi it can be taken in the following one :
    Conversely, nationalism might also be portrayed as collective identities towards imagined communities which are not naturally expressed in language, race or religion but rather socially constructed by the very individuals that belong to a given nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalism

Love Always
    mudra

The Gandhi anniversary this year has been very special (2007). With UN declaring 2nd October as the International Day for Non-Violence, with the renewed interest in Gandhi all over the globe one needs to revisit the Father of Indian Nation and his yeomen contribution in the articulation of the concepts of non-violence and nationalism in Indian context. At another level his own unique definitions and practice of religion and definition of God as truth and non-violence have their own matchless place in the history of human thought.

Even before coming to India, the Mahatma had sharpened his philosophy and political methods. When he returned from South Africa, India was in the grip of religiosity and broad masses were part of the churning process due to the on going social changes. Broadly they were not yet major part of freedom movement. Gandhi on one hand had the exposure to liberal British political system and on the other had experienced the repressive South African regime, which was practicing apartheid. In India the social changes were slow to come by. The elite through different political formations dominated political process at that point of time. We had Indian National Congress, mainly espousing Indian nationalism, where the elite were the main participants. In Muslim League and Hindu Mahasabha, the landlords and princes were the core participants, later they were joined in by those few who came from the background of modern education. They were not from the landed gentry but they did develop political ideologies suiting the interests of feudal classes. Gandhi's decision, to launch non-cooperation movement, and to involve broad layers of society, alienated some of elites from within Congress. Those from communal organizations were not concerned about freedom movement anyway. Some from the Congress left in due course of time to join the communal formations. Gandhi was firm on the involvement of whole nation in the process of national movement.Anchor posted a thread a while ago that gives Gandhi another color than the one I used to know .

http://www.webspawner.com/users/gandhi/

The word Nationalism has several meanings . I believe concerning Gandhi it can be taken in the following one :
    Conversely, nationalism might also be portrayed as collective identities towards imagined communities which are not naturally expressed in language, race or religion but rather socially constructed by the very individuals that belong to a given nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalism

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Ayurvedic Medicine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOJ8c__rk8

Love Always
    mudra
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:08 am

mudra wrote:Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Ayurvedic Medicine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOJ8c__rk8

Love Always
    mudra

haha, I would say the Mother of all medicines: Ayurvedic medicine.

thanks mudra for the video. you always find something good about vedas. love your posts.
    Thubs Up

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:24 am

after reading about recent Heather materials on PA2 and other news articles, i thought it is worth to post this article.
    I liked icecold post on PA2 the experiments -- nazi experiments. I liked it. Those people need some cold shower sometimes .

The "artificial life" news, by bringing to the forefront the age-old question of what life actually is, may prompt some soul - searching.

Even from a scientific perspective there is more to life than DNA.

Scientists Create artificial life," declared newspaper headlines around the world in May 2010. Genome pioneer J. Craig Venter, the man behind the sensation, claimed, "This is a philosohical advance as much as a technical advance."
    What exactly did Venter do? He:
    1. Determined the sequence of the DNA in one of the world's simplest bacteria,
    2. Synthesized a copy of that DNA from components sold by a biological supply company,
    3. Replaced the natural DNA in a living bacterial cell with this synthetic DNA.
    Venter, like many modern scientists, believes in reductionism, the idea that all the features of a complex system can be explained in terms of ("reduced" down to ) the properties of its simple components. Reductionist biologists hold that a living organism is like a computer: Just as the capacities of the computer can be explained in terms of the capacities of its components, the characteristics, traits, and behaviors of livings organisms can be explained in terms of their components, going down ultimately to their genes. As Oxford biologist Richard Dawkins noted, "The machine code of the genes is uncannily computer-like." Applying the computer analogy to Venter's experiment, we can say that Venter has certainly not created the complete computer.
    What he has done- introducing a new genetic sequence within an existing living organism - is like replacing one chip within an existing computer with another chip. So, even from this reductionist viewpoint, he has not created life. That's why Caltech biologist and Nobel laureate David Baltimore pointed out that Venter has "overplayed the importance" of his results; he "has not created life, only mimicked it."
    What if scientists somday use the biochemical components to create the entire cell? Would that amount to creating life? No, because that would just be like making the computer, not the person who would use the computer. Although reductionist scientists would have us believe that there is no such "person" and that life is just a product of biochemicals, living systems behave in ways fundamentally and inexplicably different from nonliving objects. Nonliving objects are created, deteriorate over time, and eventually meet with destruction. Living systems exhibit three additional features: maintenance, growth, and reproduction. A living human hand, if cut, can clot and heal itself: the most state-of-the art artificial hand, if cut, cannot.
    No wonder Boston University bioengineer James Collins candidly admitted, "Scientists don't know enough about biology to create life."

The Program of Life

Eminent Oxford biologist Denis Noble, renowned for his contributions to physiology, has analyzed what is amiss in the reductionist portrayal of life. In his book "The Music of Life", Noble points out an important problem with the notion of DNA as the "program or blueprint of life. "This notion that exalts DNA as the super-agent behind life is implicit in the current claims about creation of artificial life. Noble explains that the DNA is more like a database than a program; in computer terminology, a database refers to an organized storage of data, whereas a program refers to a list of executable instructions that achieve a specific objective. The DNA contains data only, but this data is useless unless it is read by "gene expression" cellular machinery that executes the "program of life" to build proteins. The database-like role of DNA is evident from the fact that the same gene sequence code of the DNA can be converted to different proteins according to the needs of the particular cell it is in. Therefore, the genes do not determine all the functions of the cell, but are simply templates interpreted into differently functioning and distinct proteins depending on the environment and need of the cell. To complete the computer analogy, then, the cell is a computer, the cell nucleus is the controller (the control unit that manages the operation of the cell), DNA is the database that contains genetic memory data, protein production is the program (the biological tasks to be completed to build proteins), the gene expression mechanism is the processing unit, and proteins are the output.

The Music of Life

Noble illustrates the limitation of the reductionist view by another intriquing analogy. Let us say a person relaxes at home by playing a music CD. Upon hearing the music, the person sheds tears. Alien schientists observing this scene might trace the cause of the tears back to the speaker system, to the CD player, to the CD, to the particular track being played. By their empirical scientific method, they hastily reason tha tdigital information encoded in the CD track being played caused the music and the subsequent tears. We Know better - the music does not originate from the digital data on the CD but from the musicians who recorded it onto the CD. And factors such as the listener's memories attached to the song, and not the CD track itself, caused the emotions and subsequent tears. The music is independent of the CD, whick is only one of the various forms of media that allow the music to be stored and replayed. The DNA - mania (a term coined by Fench philosopher Andre Pichot) of gene-centered reductionists is similar to the aliens' hasty reasoning. Just as the aliens jumped to the conclusion that the CD is the cause of the music and the tears, some geneticists jump to the conclusion that DNA is the cause of our life, emotions, etc. However, the CD is only a digital media for replaying sounds. Similarly, DNA is only a biological media for recreating proteins used in cells. The CD cannot be considered music, and DNA cannot be considered life. They are both storage media, one digital, the other biological. As the CD player, the DNA is useless without the cellular machinery that copies and converts the DNA into proteins.
    Although some scientists like Richard Dawkins would have us believe that DNA is the cause of life, others like Denis Noble have the more rational understanding that DNA is neither life nor the absolute cause of life, just as the CD music track is neither the music nor the primal cause of the music. Life is thus like music: neither can be reduced down to codes- biological or digital. Music does not originate from or depend on a digital media, such as a CD, and life does not originate from or depend on the biological media of DNA.

Life's Origin

Then where does life originate? Jus as music can only originate from a musician, life can only originate from a living person. That living person, according to the Vedas, is the spirit soul. The Bhagavad-gita (2.17) explains that the soul is an irreducible eternal unit of consciousness. When the soul enters a biological medium such as our body, the body acquires apparent life. Just as a living person is necessary to play the CD in the CD player, the soul is necessary for the dead inert cellular machinery to read the DNA genetic code and run the biochemical processes that animate the cell. The soul is the cause of maintenance, growth, and reproduction, the features of living systems that defy reductionist explanation. The Gita (2.25) explains that the soul is "invisible and inconceivable," implying that our senses and sense-created instruments cannot detect its presence.
    The Gita(13.33) also points out that the soul remains distinct from the body it animates, just as the sun is distinct from the space it illuminates. So, when a part of the body changes, the soul remains unchanged, just as when a component in a computer is changed, the computer user remains unchanged. Thus, in Venter's experiment the soul animating the bacteria remained unchanged when the DNA within that bacteria was changed.
    Reductionist philosophers object to the existence of any nonmaterial spirit animating the body because they hold that spirit, being fundamentally different from matter, cannot influence matter. The Gita agrees that the spirit soul can's directly influence matter, but asserts that the Supreme Spirit, being the controller of both matter and spirit, can. The Gita (13.23) explains that spirit interacts with matter through the agency of the Supersoul, an expansion of God who pervades matter.
    In this connection, it is pertinent to note that Cambridge-educated researcher Stephen Meyer, in his book "Signature in the Cell", describes how attempts of reductionist scientists to explain life in biological terms has paradoxically ended up showing the need for intelligence as the cause of life. For example, computer algorithms that attempted to simulate genetic information by random symbol generation achieved modest success only when they were intelligently directed toward a chosen target sequence. Thus, far from proving the efficacy of randomness, they ended up proving the necessity of intelligence in generating genetic information. Could the same apply in Venter's case? Intelligent scientists working for decades with funding running into millions were able to synthesize only one of the simplest DNAs. What does that say about the intelligence required to synthesize DNAs as complex as the human genome? Author George Sim Johnson points out, "Human DNA contains more organized information than the Encyclopedia Britannica. If the full text of the encyclopedia were to arrive in computer code from outer space, most people would regard it as proof of the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence. " Obviously, then, the organized information in the DNA can be regarded as proof of a magnificent designing intelligence, as Meyer persuasively established in his book. THis echoes the Gita (9.10), which states that material nature works under God's supervision.

Playing God

Despite the attempt to play God by creating life, Venter has unwittingly played into the hands of God by providing evidence for His existence and intelligence. Historically, attempst to play God have repeatedly backfired. In new fields of research, schientists almost invariable promise future benefits, often sensational ones. However, the track record of such promises shows counterproductive, even devastating, consequences. In the field of genetic engineering itself, genetically modified (GM) food was advertised as the solution to world hunger, but it ended up causing starvation and death for hundreds of farmers in Maharashtra, India. These farmers were captivated by promises of pest-resistant seeds and high yields, but when the pests developed resistance to the seeds, the yields failed utterly. Moreover, because the GM seeds are designed to not give seeds, the farmers had no chance of a yield in the next season either. Afflicted by poverty, hunger, and hopelessness, multitudes of them committed suicide. Concerned with the health hazards associated with GM food, the European Union has banned its use. Nongovernment organizations are trying to curb GM food in other parts of the world.
    What are the possible dangers of "artificial life" research? Genome manipulation of the kind done by Venter can lead to the development of medicine-resistant variants of disease-producing microbes, which could trigger a pandemic. The genome Venter synthesized was copied from a natural bacterium that infects goats. He claims that before copying the DNA, he excised fourteen genes likely to be pathogenice, so that the new bacterium, even if it escaped, would be unlikely to harm goats. However, such measures might not be incorporated in future similar researches-either unintentionally or intentionally. Will we then see headlines of "artificial deaths," deaths caused by human attempts at creating artificial life? While some may consider such a scenario unlikely and even unduly pessimistic, it is certainly a possibility. And perhaps contemplating the worse-case possibility is necessary to prevent it from becoming a reality.

Real Life

On a positive note, the "artificial life" news, by bringing to the forefront the age-old question of what life actually is, may prompt some soul-searching-at least figuratively and maybe even literally. Developing the computer analogy further, ISKCON schientist the late Dr. Richard L. Thompson (Sadaputa Dasa), in his book "Maya: The World as Virtual Reality, explains how our entire present existence is like a computer simulation, a virtual reality. So as spiritual beings, the material existence that we are currently leading is itself and artificial like. From that perspective, the attempt to create artificial life within an artificial life is little more than an artifice. The alternative to such artifices is the spiritual technology described in the Gita that can enable us to progress from our current artificial life to our real life as eternal beings. If the energy spent on creating artificial life were directed to cultivate spiritual knowledge and practice, humanity would make quantum leaps in its understanding of life. The scientific establishment may or may not do this, but each of us individually can. Then we will no longer be taken in by overhyped reports about artificial life, because we will be constantly experiencing and relishing the meaning of real life-and will want to share that with everyone.

Aja Govinda Dasa (a graduate researcher at the University of Oxford, biology)

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:28 am

I think it is important so I typed it in to share with you all. sorry if there will be grammar problems.

Reincarnation – spiritual living entity is different from the material body.

Professor Durckheim: In my work, I’ve found that the natural ego doesn’t like to die. But if you go through it (near death experience), you seem to cross the threshold of death to quite a different reality.

Srila Prabhupada: :Yes, it is different. The experience is like that of a diseased person regaining his health.

Professor Durckheim: So the person who is dead experiences a higher level of reality?

Srila Prabhupada: It’s not the person who has died, but the body. According to Vedic knowledge, the body is always dead. For example, a microphone is made of metal. When electric energy passes through the microphone, it responds by converting sound into electrical impulses, which are amplified and broadcast over loudspeakers. But when there is no electricity in the system, nothing happens. Whether the microphone is working or not, it remains nothing more than a metal. Similarly, the human body works because of the living force within. When this living force leaves the body, it is said that the body is dead. But actually it is always dead. The living force is the important element; its presence alone makes the body appear to be alive. But “alive” or “dead”, the physical body is nothing more than a collection of dead matter.
    The first teaching of Bhagavad Gita reveals that the condition of the material body is ultimately not very important. “The Blessed Lord said: While speaking learned words you are mourning for what is not worthy of grief. Those who are wise lament neither for the living nor the dead.”(Bg. 2.11)
    The dead body is not the real subject for philosophical inquiry. Rather, we should concern ourselves with the active principle-that principle which makes the dead body move-the soul.

Professor Durckheim: How do you teach your students to become aware of this force which is not matter, but which makes matter appear alive? I can intellectually appreciate that you’re speaking a philosophy which contains the truth. I don’t doubt it. But how do you make a person feel it?

How to Perceive the Soul

Srila Prabhupada: It’s a very simple matter. There is an active principle which makes the body move; when it is absent, the body no longer moves. So the real question is, “What is that active principle?” This inquiry lies at the heart of Vedic philosophy. In fact, the Vedanta-sutra begins with the aphorism –“What is the nature of the self within the body?” Therefore, the student of Vedic philosophy is first taught to distinguish the difference between a living body and a dead one. If he is unable to grasp this principle, we then ask him to consider the problem from the standpoint of logic. Anyone can see that the body is changing and moving because of the presence of the active principle, the soul. In the absence of the active principle, the body neither changes nor moves. So there must be something within the body that makes it move. It is not a very difficult concept.
    The body is always dead. It is like a big machine. A tape recorder is made of dead matter, but as soon as you, the living person, push a button, it works. Similarly, the body is also dead matter. But within the body is the life force. As long as this active principle remains within the body, the body responds and appears alive. For instance, we all have the power to speak. If I ask one of my students to come here, he will come. But if the active principle leaves his body, I may call him for thousands of years, but he will not come. This is very simple to understand.
    But what exactly is that active principle? That is a separate subject matter, and the answer to that question is the real beginning of spiritual knowledge.

Professor Durckheim: I can understand the point you made about the dead body-that there must be something within to make it alive. The only proper conclusion is that we are talking about two things- the body and the active principle. But my real question is, how do we become aware of the active principle within ourselves as a direct experience and not simply as an intellectual conclusion? On the inner path isn’t it important to actually experience this deeper reality?

“I am spirit”

Srila Prabhupada: You yourself are that active principle. The living body and the dead body are different. The only difference is the presence of the active principle. When it is not there, the body is called dead. So the real self is identical with the active principle. In the Vedas we find the maxim so ‘ham-“I am the active principle.” It is also said, “I am not this material body. I am Brahma, spirit.” That is selfrealization. The self-realized person is described in Bhagavad-Gita – when one is self-realized, he neither hankers nor laments; he is equal to everyone-men, animals, all living beings.

Professor Durckheim: Consider this. One of your students might say, “I am spirit”, but he might not be able to experience it.

Srila Prabhupada: How can he not experience it? He knows that he is the active principle. Everyone ultimately knows that they are not the body. Even a child knows it. We can observe this by examining the way we speak. We say, “This is my finger.” We never say, “I finger.” So what is that “I”? This is self-realization- “I am not this body.”
    And this realization can be extended to other living beings. Why does man kill animals? Why give trouble to others? One who is self-realized can see, “Here is another self. He simply has a different body, but the same active principle that exists within my body is operating within his body.” The self-realized person sees all living entities with equal vision, knowing that the active principle, the self, is present not only in human beings, but within the bodies of animals, birds, fish, insects, trees, and plants as well.

Reincarnation in This Life

The active principle is the soul, and the soul transmigrates from one body to another at the time of death. The body may be different, but the self remains the same. We can observe this change of body even within our own lifetime. We have transmigrated from babyhood to childhood, from childhood to youth, and from youth to adulthood. Yet all the while, the conscious self, or soul, has remained the same. The body is material, and the actual self is spiritual. When one comes to this understanding, he is called self-realized.

Professor Durckheim: I think we are now arriving at a very decisive moment in the Western world, because for the first time in our history, people in Europe and America are starting to take seriously the inner experienced by with truth is revealed. Of course, in the East there have always been philosophers who have known the experiences by which death loses its terrifying character and becomes the threshold to a more complete life.
    People need this experience of overcoming their usual bodily habits. And if they can break through that bodily experience, they suddenly realize that quite a different principle is operating within themselves. They become aware of the “inner life.”

Srila Prabhupada: A devotee of Lord Krsna automatically realizes that different principle, because he never thinks, “I am this body.” He thinks – I am spirit soul.” The first instruction given by Lord Krsna to Arjuna is this: “My dear Arjuna, you are very seriously considering the condition of the body, but a learned man does not take this material body, either dead or alive, very seriously.” This is the first realization on the path of spiritual progress. Everyone in this world is very much concerned with the body, and when it is alive, they take care of it in so many ways. When it is dead, they erect grand statues and monument over it. This is body consciousness. But no one understands that active principle which gives the body beauty and life. And at the time of death, no one knows where the real self, the active principle, has gone. That is called ignorance.

Professor Durckheim: During World War II, when I was a young man, I spent four year at the front. I was one of two officers in my regiment who was not wounded. On the battlefield, I saw death again and again. I saw people standing just next to me get hit, and suddenly their life force was gone. All that was left, as you say, was a body without a soul. But when death was near and I accepted that I also might die, I realized that within myself was something that has nothing whatsoever to do with death.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes. That is self-realization.

Professor Durckheim: This experience of war marked me very deeply. It was the beginning of my inner path.

Srila Prabhupada: In the Vedas it is said, If one is a God – realized soul, he is not afraid of anything.

Professor Durckheim: The process of self-realization is a sequence of inner experiences, isn’t it? Here in Europe, the people have gone through such experiences. In fact, I believe this is the real treasure of Europe- that there are so many people who went through the battlefields, through the concentration camps, through the bombing raids. And within their hearts they retain the memories of those moments when death was near, when they were wounded and nearly torn in pieces, and they experienced a glimpse of their eternal nature. But now it’s necessary to show people that they don’t need a battlefield, a concentration camp, or a bombing raid in order to take seriously those inner experiences when one is suddenly touched by a sense of divine reality and understands that this bodily existence is not the all and all.

The Body Is Like a Dream

Srila Prabhupada: We can experience that every night. When we dream, our body lies on the bed, but we go somewhere else. In this way we all experience that our real identity is separate from this body. When we dream we forget the body lying on the bed. We act in different bodies and in different locations. Similarly, during the day we forget our dream bodies in which we traveled to so many places. Perhaps, in our dream bodies, we flew in the sky, or other interesting places. At night we forget our waking body, and in the daytime we forget our dream body. But our conscious self, the soul, still exists, and we remain aware of our existence in both bodies. Therefore, we must conclude that we are not any of these bodies. For some time we exist in a certain body, then at death we forget it. So the body is really only a mental structure, somewhat like a dream, but the self is different from all of these mental structures. That is self-realization. In Bhagavad-gita Krsna says,” The working senses (5) are superior to dull matter, mind is higher than the senses; intelligence is still higher than the mind; and he (the soul) is even higher than the intelligence.” (Bg.3.42)

Professor Durckheim: Earlier today you spoke about the false ego. Did you mean that the real ego is the soul?

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, that is the pure ego. For instance, now I have this seventy – eight-year-old Indian body, and I have this false ego that thinks, “I am Indian,” I am this body”. This is a misconception. Someday this temporary body will vanish and I ‘ll get another temporary body. It’s just a temporary illusion. The reality is that the soul, based on its desires and activities, transmigrates from one body to another.

Professor Durckheim: Can consciousness exist apart from the material body?

Srila Prabhupada: Yes. Pure consciousness, the soul, does not need a material body. For instance, when you dream, you forget your present body, but you still remain conscious. The soul, the consciousness, is like water: water is pure, but as soon as it falls from the sky and touches the ground, it becomes muddy.

Professor Durckheim: Yes.

Srila Prabhupada: Similarly, we are spirit souls, we are pure, but as soon as we leave the spiritual world and come in contact with these material bodies, our consciousness becomes covered. The consciousness remains pure, but now it is covered by mud (this body). And this is why people are fighting. They are wrongly identifying with the body, thinking, “I am Dutch”, “I am English”, “I am black,” “I am white,” “I am this,” “I am that” – so many bodily designations. These bodily designations are impurities. This is why artists sculpt or paint nude figures. In France, for example, they regard nakedness as “pure” art. Similarly, when you understand the “nakedness”, or true condition, of the spirit soul – without these bodily designations- that is purity.

Professor Durckheim: Why does it appear to be so difficult to understand that one is different from the body?

Everyone Knows “I Am Not This Body”

Srila Prabhupada: It is not difficult. You can experience it. It is only because of foolishness that people think differently; but everyone really knows, “I am not this body”. This is very easy to experience. I am existing. I understand that I have existed in a baby’s body, I have existed in a child’s body, and also in a boy’s body. I have existed in so many bodies, and now I am in an old man’s body. Or, for example, say you have now put on a black coat. The next moment you may put on a white coat. But you are not that black or white coat; you have simply changed coats. If I call you “Mr. Black Coat”, that is my foolishness. Similarly, in my lifetime I have changed bodies many times, but I am not any of these bodies. This is real knowledge.

Professor Durckheim: And yet isn’t there a difficulty? For instance, you may have already intellectually understood very well that you are not the body- but you may still have the fear of death. Doesn’t that mean you didn’t understand it by experience? As soon as you’ve understood by experience, you should have no fear of death, because you know that you can’t really die.

Srila Prabhupada: Experience is received from a higher authority, from someone who has higher knowledge. Instead of my trying to experience for years and years that I am not this body, I can take the knowledge form God, or Krsna, the perfect source. Then I have experienced my deathlessness by hearing from a bona fide authority. That is perfect.

Professor Durckheim: Yes, I understand.

Srila Prabhupada: Therefore, the Vedic instruction is tad-vijnanartham sa gurum evabhigaccht. “In order to get first class experience of the perfection of life, you must approach a guru.” And who is a guru? Whom should I approach? I should approach someone who has heard perfectly from his guru. This is called disciplic succession. I hear from a perfect person, and I distribute the knowledge in the same way, without any change. Lord Krsna gives us knowledge in Bhagavad-Gita, and we distribute the same knowledge, without changing it.

Professor Durckheim: Over the past twenty or thirty years there has been a great awakening of interest in spiritual topics in the Western part of the world. But, on the other hand, if the scientists want to eliminate the human self, they are well on the way to doing it with their atomic bombs and other technical innovations. If they want to guide humanity to some higher goal, however, then they have to stop looking at man in a materialistic way through their scientific spectacles. They must look at us as we are-conscious selves.

The Goal of Human Life
    Srila Prabhupada: The goal of human life is self-realization, or God realization, but the scientists do not know that. Modern society is presently led by blind and foolish men. The so-called technologists, scientists, and philosophers do not know the real aim of life. And the people themselves are blind as well; so we have a situation in which the blind are leading the blind. If a blind man tries to lead another blind man, what type of results can we expect? No; this is not the process. One must approach a self-realized person if he wants to understand the truth.
    Student: Srila Prabhupada, these gentlemen are professors of theology and philosophy. And this is Doctor Dara. He is the leader of a society for study of yoga and integral philosophy here in Germany.

Professor Durckheim: May I ask another question? Isn’t there another level of experience that opens the door to some deeper consciousness for the common man?

Srila Prabhupada: Yes That experience is described by Krsna in Bhagavad-Gita (2.13) – “As the embodied soul continually passes in this body from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. The self-realized soul is not bewildered by such a change.”
    But first one must understand the basic principle of knowledge – that I am not this body. When one understands this basic principle, then he can advance to deeper knowledge.

Professor Durckheim: It seems to me that there is a big difference between the Eastern and Western approaches to this problem of body and soul. In the teachings of the East, you have to become free of the body, whereas in Western religions, a person tries to realize the spirit within the body.

Srila Prabhupada: This is very easy to understand. We have heard from Bhagavad-Gita that we are spirit, that we are within the body. Our sufferings come about because of our identification with the body. Because I have entered into this body, therefore I am suffering. So either Eastern or Western my real business should be how to get of this body. Is that point clear?

Professor Durckheim: Yes.

Srila Prabhupada: The term reincarnation means that I am a spirit soul who has entered a body. But in my next life I can enter another body. It may be a dog’s body, it may be a cat’s body, or it may be a king’s body. But there will be suffering – either in the king’s body or in the dog’s body. These sufferings include birth, death, old age, and disease. So in order to abolish these four kinds of suffering, we have to get out of the body. That is man’s real prison, problem – how to get out of his material body.

Professor Durckheim: This takes many lives?

Srila Prabhupada: It can take many lives, or you can do it in one lifetime. If you understand in this life that you sufferings are due to this body, then you should inquire how to get out of the body. And when you get that knowledge, you will know the trick – how to get out of the body immediately.

Professor Durckheim: But that doesn’t mean that I have to kill the body, does it? Doesn’t it mean that I realize my spirit is independent from my body?

Srila Prabhupada: No; it isn’t necessary that the body be killed. But whether your body is killed or not, someday you will have to leave your present body and accept another one. That is nature’s law, and you cannot avoid it.
    Professor Durckheim: It seems that there are some points here which are in accordance with Christianity as well.
    Srila Prabhupada: It doesn’t matter whether you are Christian, Muslim or Hindu. Knowledge is knowledge. Wherever knowledge is available, you must pick it up. And this is knowledge-every living being is imprisoned within a material body. This knowledge applies equally to hindus, muslims, Christians- everyone. The soul is imprisoned within the body and must therefore undergo birth, death, old age, and disease. But we all want to live eternally, we want full knowledge, we want full blissfulness. To attain this goal we must get out of the body. This is the process.

Prof. Dara: You stress the point that we must get out of the body. But shouldn’t we accept our existence as human beings?

Srila Prabhupada: You propose accepting our existence as human beings. Do you think that existing within this human body is perfect?

Prof. Dara: No, I don’t say it is perfect. But we should accept this and not to try to create some ideal situation.
    How to Become Perfect
    Srila Prabhupada: You admit that your condition is not perfect. Therefore, the correct idea should be to discover how to become perfect.

Prof. Dara: But why do we have to become perfect as spirit? Why can’t we become perfect as humans?

Srila Prabhupada: You have already admitted that your situation within this human body is not perfect. So why are you so attached to this imperfect situation?

Prof.Dara: This body is an instrument through which I can communicate with other people.

Srila Prabhupada: That is also possible for the birds and beasts.

Prof. Dara: But there is a big difference between the talking of birds and beasts and our talking.

Srila Prabhupada: What is the difference? They are talking in their community, and you are talking in your community.

Prof. D. I believe the real point is that the animal has no self-consciousness. He does not understand what he is in essence.

Rising Above the Beasts

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, that is the real point. A human being can understand what he is. The birds and beasts cannot understand. So, as humans, we should endeavor for self-realization and not simply act on the level of the birds and beasts. Therefore the Vedanta – sutra begins with the aphorism – human life is meant for inquiring about the Absolute Truth. That is the aim of human life, not eating, mating and sleeping like the animals. We possess extra intelligence with which to understand the Absolute Truth. In Srimad Bhagavatam it is said, “Life’s desires should never be aimed at gratifying the senses. One should desire to live only because human life enables one to inquire about the Absolute Truth. This should be the goal of all works.”

Prof. Dara: But is it just a waste of time to use our bodies to do good to others?

Srila Prabhupada: You cannot do good to others, because you do not know what good is. You are thinking of good in terms of the body – but you are not that apartment. If you simply decorate the apartment and forget to eat, can that be good?

Prof. Dara: I don’t think this comparison of the body with a room is very good…

Srila Prabhupada: That’s because you don’t know that you are not the body.

Prof. Dara: But if we go out of a room, the room remains. When we go out of the body, it doesn’t remain.

Srila Prabhupada: Eventually the room will also be destroyed.

Prof. Dara: What I mean to say is that there must be a very intimate connection between the body and the soul, a kind of oneness- at least, as long as we are alive.

Srila Prabhupada: No; that is not real oneness. There is a difference. For instance, the room we are presently in is important to me only as long as I am alive. Otherwise, it has no importance. When the soul leaves the body, the body is thrown away, even though it was very dear to its owner.

Prof. Dara: But what if you don’t’ want to separate from your body?

Srila Prabhupada: It is not a question of what you want. You must separate. As soon as your death comes, your relatives will throw out your body.

Professor Durckheim: Perhaps it makes a difference if a person thinks, “I am the spirit, and I have a body,” rather than “I am the body, and I have a soul.”

The Secret of Immortality

Srila Prabhupada: Yes. It is a mistake to think that you are the body and possess a soul. That is not true. You are the soul, and you are covered by a temporary body. The soul is the important thing, not the body. For example, as long as you wear a coat, it is important to you. But if it becomes torn, you throw it away and purchase another coat. The living being constantly experiences the same thing. You separate from this present body and accept another body. That is called death. The body which you previously occupied becomes unimportant, and the body you now occupy becomes important. This is the big problem – people give so much importance to a body that within a few short years will be exchanged for another one.

with respect I love you
    devakas

"Your body does not contain a single one of the molecules that it contained seven years ago" - Professor John Preiffer in his book Human Brain

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 am

We are here for long time...

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:10 am

500 million years ago we were here already... bounce

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:15 am

human bones from 5 million years ago

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:17 am

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:26 am

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 am

to support previous postings...i found this also

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:15 pm

There is a great deal of propaganda afoot that something dramatic will happen in 2012 and maybe the world will end...

We have information from the Vedic scriptures about the nature of this material world. Very extensive information is given about the cycles this world goes through over and over again. It is not that we are in uncharted territory. These cycles repeat, just like every year we have the four seasons. The cycle of the seasons repeats over and over again. Similarly the cycle of the four ages or yugas also repeats over and over again. As we know each of the seasons will last for three months and then the next season will start these four ages or yugas also repeat in a very systematic way.

There are four yugas, Satya-yuga - the golden age, lasting 1,728,000 years; Treta-yuga - the silver age, lasting 1,296,000 years; Dvapara-yuga - the bronze age, lasting 864,000 years; and finally Kali-yuga - the iron age of machines and quarrel, lasting 432,000 years.

We are in the final age, Kali-yuga. So in one sense you could call the end of Kali-yuga the “end of the world.” But actually Kali-yuga is no more the end of the world than winter is the end of the seasons. After the winter there will be another spring. At the end of winter everything looks dead. But with the sunshine of spring everything becomes rejuvenated and new life springs up all over the planet. So at the end of this Kali-yuga everything will be very baron and devastated. However that is just like the end of winter. Just like the end of winter means the beginning of a new spring season, there will be another Satya-yuga or golden age and everything in the universe will be rejuvenated again.

There will be some big devastation at the end of the Kali-yuga. But we have just started the Kali-yuga. This age will last for 432,000 years and so far we have only passed 5,000 years of it. So that means that Kali-yuga still has another 427,000 years to run... So please be assured that the world is not going to end in the year 2012... Believe it or not the world will still be going on in the year 429,000. Around this time the current Kali-yuga will end and there will be some devastation and a renewal which will usher in a new Satya-yuga...

So this claim that the “end of the world” is coming in 2012 is complete nonsense. There is no end to the material world. Although everything here in this world -- except the living entities (the spirit souls, the atmas) -- including the planet and the universe itself, is ultimately a temporary manifestation. Everything has a time of creation and will have a time of destruction.

However, in the bigger picture, the destruction is not actually a destruction. It is simply an exercise in the conservation of energy. Einstein came up with the proposition that both energy and matter cannot be destroyed. They can only be transformed from one form to another. This is the correct understanding.
    There is a time when the universe will be destroyed. The universe will exist for one thousand catur-yuga cycles. That is one thousand cycles of the four ages [Satya-yuga, Treta-yuga, Dvapara-yuga and Kali-yuga]. Each cycle of four yugas takes 4,300,000 years. Therefore the “life” of the universe is 4,300,000,000 years or 4.3 billion years. We have currently passed through approximately half of that time. So the universe is about 2.15 billion years old at the moment. So in another 2.15 billion years the whole material world -- not just our universe -- the entire material creation of an unlimited number of universes, will all be destroyed.

However, as I mentioned before, this is not actually a “destruction” but a conservation of matter and energy. All the matter which forms the material elements in the universe will be conserved in the “mahat-tattva.” This means the “unmanifested material energy.” The material world has two possible states. Manifest and unmanifest. Currently it is manifest and we are here in the material world. But after the completion of approximately 2.15 billion years there will really be a complete and total devastation of the whole material existence. That is the ultimate “end of the world” that all the doomsday people are waiting for. I think that devastation will satisfy them. At that time the whole material existence will be “destroyed” and will become unmanifested for another one thousand catur-yuga cycles.
    This means for 4.3 billion years there will be no manifest material world. Everything will be conserved, the matter will be conserved within the mahat-tattva and the living entities will all enter into the body of Maha Visnu and will exist there in a state of suspension.

Although the whole material creation will be “destroyed” in about 2.15 billion years time, in reality nothing will actually be destroyed. The matter will be conserved in the mahat-tattva and the living entries will simply sleep for 4.3 billion years in the body of Maha-Visnu. This is not liberation for the living entities. They just sleep. And when the 4.3 billion years is finished the material world will become manifest again and all the same living entities will enter it again and again resume their activities where they left off 4.3 billion years ago.

And it will be the same thing again. There will be the same grass, trees, donkeys, horses, elephants, people... The same sort of planets and sun and moon will be constructed, the whole thing will be again constructed in the same way.

It is just like every year it is hot in summer and cold in winter. There are no surprises.
    The new material world will be much the same as the old one because the material world is created out of the desires of the living entities. It will be the same living entities entering the “new world” who left this world. So they will bring into the “new world” the same desires they left this world with. So they will simply continue in the “new world” where they left off in this world. After sleeping for 4.3 billion years.

There are also smaller devastations that happen periodically, but these only happen at the end of the catur-yuga cycles, so if the doomsday people really want a date that something may happen on then let them use the date of the end of this Kali-yuga, something around 429,000, something quite dramatic will happen then for sure. To get the exact date you will need to consult an astrologer. Until then this world will go on, and on, and on, and on
    It will get worse of course. That is the nature of time. In the end it will be very bad. But it will go on, and on and on. There will be no “end of the world” until some time around 429,000 and that is, as I said, not really the end of the world. That is a time of renewal. A transition from the dark age of Kali to a new golden age of spiritual enlightenment.

The material world will never end. There will always be spirit souls like us who rebel against our natural position of rendering service to God. So Krishna mercifully creates this material playground for us. Here we can try to “play god.” Here we can try to enjoy separately from God. But this world is constructed in such a way that all our attempts to enjoy separately from God will end in frustration.
    After many, many, many births in the material world, and many, many frustrated lives of suffering, an intelligent man comes to the conclusion that there is no happiness in the material world and decides to go back home, back to Godhead.

There is another world, a spiritual world. That is the place we are all hankering for. In the spiritual world we have a spiritual body which is eternally youthful, full of knowledge and full of bliss. That is our natural position.

The position we find ourselves in the material world is quite opposite to our natural position in the spiritual world. Here, in the material world, we are stuck in a material body that is getting old, getting sick, and ultimately dying. We are always suffering from three different types of miseries. Our minds are always giving us problems; nature [the demigods] is always giving problems in the form of too much rain or no rain, too hot or too cold, etc. And other living entities like the mosquitoes bite us when we are trying to sleep and our enemies attack us. In this way we are constantly suffering from many different types of miseries.

Therefore here, in the material world, we are full of anxieties, full of ignorance. The root cause of all these problems is we identify with the material body. Because of this bodily identification we think we are temporary. We think that we will die. We think that we are not permanent.

The reality is this material world is not our home. We can never be happy here. We are not in our natural atmosphere. We belong in the spiritual world, we will be happy in that spiritual atmosphere.
    The purpose of our existence in this material world is to frustrat our material desires so that ultimately we give up our rebellious nature of trying to enjoy separately from Krishna. When we give up this rebellious attitude and surrender to Krishna we will naturally remember Krishna at the time of death and our soul will be transferred to the spiritual world, back home, back to Godhead.
    But the material world will continue, it will go on, and on and on and on forever... There is no end to the material world. The doomsday people will always be wrong. They will always be frustrated. They want it to end but it will never end...

I have just given a very small introduction to this subject. There is complete scientific information about all these topics available in the Vedic books

namaste

we have a cake at work now... wish I could share with you all... I love you
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:01 am

George Harrison speaks about soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkQOMsSYaE

devakas
    devakas

Vedic Scripts, wisdom and facts - Page 5 Empty Vedic science and today's science

Post  devakas Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:07 am

Vedas and today science

Michael Cremo once joked with his friends that he maybe is a Darwin incarnation and
    he came back to earth to fix the evolution problem and deny it.

DNA is only motor, matter, atoms...

Closer analysis of behaviour, animal behaviour can help us better understand it.

Soul and Body
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq3vfkjJjzk

M.Cremo - missing scenario (genes and behaviour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJSFToh9s2s

How do the instincts work?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui58KPppzY4

different opinions within science
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XKntIfx1sI

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:01 am

It is important to understand animal behaviour, in modern science of soul.

Nature`s I.Q.: Extraordinary Animal Behavior, a book by two young
    scholars, Istvan Tasi and Balazs Hornyanszky, published by Torchlight,
    received the prestigious award for Best Scientfic Book in 2009 from
    USA Book News.

Natures IQ book introduction

Spiderweb sample

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:04 pm

As we live the times of changes in people's mind, in cosmic consciousness...
    as our awareness increases our true freedom, freedom of soul, soul consciousness increases.

There are good vibes in our forum and great soul gathering, care for others. It happened naturally after
    splits of PA. There are free thinking people and I do not think that any invitation artificially would and should work.
    This is why this forum is so precious. It was not driven by ego, it was free choice.
    In my opinion and understanding there is no ego here and there are no sheep here.

There is no ego to control to dictate, nothing of this nature. It gives us space to grow to learn
    like nowhere else on other forums. Instead of driving left or right for search of happiness we here in the mists stay open
    to all and we are growing up.

Any control or dictate had an end and always will. The more we stay open to all consciousness be
    it political consciousness, animal consciousness, economic consciousness, nature consciousness,
    events consciousness, planetary consciousness, health consciousness the more we stay open to all and above
    more we can truly see, grow in soul consciousness and awareness. This is why I think many here know
    in heart they are tired of fights with and between all type of consciousness.

There is time to heal from fights, there is time to heal from fear. We all need it. Somehow to stay firm in the freedom of soul. Mo matter
    what will happened in the material world. Is there any better way.

Illusion of freedom we were fed up is getting clear as illusion of choice to freedom to buy or to choose our government and other illusions of our choices
    Why is it important to stay free in soul consciousness? No other controlling power can suppress us if we are free of material world. Power over us disappears.

The soul consciousness and true soul science is a secret hidden to us. And it is always hidden to humans as it makes easy to control us.
    However it is available to those who seek the true freedom.
    Free souls can not be controlled. The earthly and unearthly powers know it. It is not logic to me that truth can not be find, there must be truth
    somewhere. I do not believe that it is dead end. However to most people it is so. The hidden truth is available if we seek. It is logic for me.
    The small percent will find it. It appears it is actually written down in Kali yuga age for those who seek.

It is hidden to preserve in India's west east north and south in case some areas would be destroyed. The libraries are huge, the knowledge is COMPLETE.

What is important I think is to heal our soul now, to complete our knowledge.

Healing the soul

Auyrveda the medicine to heal humans

Last edited by devakas on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:50 pm; edited 5 times in total

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:57 am