tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+30
Jenetta
oliverclay
Floyd
magamud
seekeroftruth
THEeXchanger
Owlsden
Beren
malletzky
Carol
Brook
Rasa
earthian
immortalisdolor
HigherLove
Sanicle
iysun
devakas
Anchor
eMonkey
TRANCOSO
spiritwarrior
greybeard
Nebula
Mercuriel
Balance
pedro m
truth and integrity
ClearWater
mudra
34 posters

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1

mudra
    mudra

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 31 Empty Re: The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1

Post  mudra Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:21 am

Interview with Joe Miller, an American Mystic (1 of 9)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyBUNOnC7hE

Joe Miller was an authentic American mystic who taught in many ways, the most famous being the Thursday morning walks through Golden Gate Park. Joe never charged for anything. On the contrary, he treated everyone to ice cream at the Ocean Safeway near the beach. Working together with his wife, Guin Miller, from the 1960s to the 1990s, they inspired thousands of people throughout the world. With their music, walks in the park, evenings at the SFTS and their deeply compassionate, one-on-one friendship, they touched many lives and offered a powerful example of the unconditional love and simple awareness that operates at the heart of all the world's great mystical traditions.

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 31 Empty Re: The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1

Post  mudra Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Jeff Foster's new book

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 31 377189_10151144850249719_1438649885_n

The Wholeness of Life

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
    new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    MARCEL PROUST

The wrinkles on your elderly father’s hands. The cry of a newborn baby. A sculpture in an art gallery. A certain combination of notes in a piece of music. A dewdrop on a blade of grass. A momentary look on a stranger’s face, suddenly and unexpectedly melting your heart. Wholeness suddenly piercing through separation.
    Life is rich with mystery.

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who had just given birth. My friend is a scientist, a “rational thinker,” and an atheist, with no interest in spirituality or religion or anything that cannot be proved through “peer-reviewed research,” as she calls it. She believes that life is all about working hard, providing for your family, saving for old age, and eventually retiring and enjoying “the good life” before you die.

And yet, as she talked about her experience of her daughter’s birth, her words were not those of an atheist; they were religious words, spiritual words, words pregnant with awe and wonder and the overwhelming miracle of creation. She talked about the miracle of life itself—the mystery of birth and of death, the cosmic riddle that permeates all things. She told me that as she held her newborn daughter for the first time, all self-centered thoughts fell away, past and future dissolved, and suddenly there was only this—only life itself, present,
    alive, mysterious. There was only this precious moment, here and now, and nothing more.

She told me how she wept with gratitude upon seeing her daughter’s tiny little fingers for the first time—how delicate they were, how fragile. She told me how amazed she was that something so mysterious and alive could have emerged from her, how something could have come out of nothing, how life could produce life out of itself, how the same life that was present at the Big Bang is somehow also here, in the form of this tiny, pink creature. She was suddenly consumed with an unconditional love—for her daughter, for all babies and mothers everywhere, for all existence. It was a love she had no words for. All peer-reviewed research crumbled in the face of the incomprehensible vastness of present-moment experience.

My friend, the scientist, the rational thinker, the skeptic, had temporarily become a nondual mystic, and she didn’t even know it. For a moment, she had touched the wholeness of life, the wordless mystery that permeates all creation. For a moment, she had fallen in love with existence; the separation between her and life had fallen away, to reveal a love with no name.

I have met many people over the years who have become interested in spirituality because of certain strange, inexplicable, incomprehensible experiences or realizations they’d had, often out of the blue—experiences that were later hard to put into words and harder still to communicate to their friends and families.

Artists talk about the self falling away when they are absorbed in painting. Musicians tell of how, while absorbed in their music, there is only the music, and they, as a separate entity, vanish into it, as if they’ve been absorbed by life. They are not playing the music—they are the music, playing itself.

read on in Pdf file attached below from pg 3 onwards

Love Always
    mudra
    Attachments
    The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 31 AttachmentBK02647_guts_web-sample.pdf
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (166 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Sounds True Radio

Listen to Spiritual music or interviews

Arrow http://www.soundstrue.com/radio/

Love Always
    mudra

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:00 pm

THE BRIDGE BUILDER

An old man, going a lone highway, Came at the evening, cold and gray, To chasm, vast and deep and wide, Through which was flowing a sullen tide. The old man crossed in the twilight dim; The sullen stream had no fears for him; But he turned when safe on the other side And built a bridge to span the tide.
    "Old man," said a fellow pilgrim near, "You are wasting strength with building here; Your journey will end with the ending day; You never again must pass this way; You have crossed the chasm, deep and wide -- Why build you the bridge at the eventide?"
    The builder lifted his old gray head: "Good friend, in the path I have come," he said, "There followeth after me today A youth whose feet must pass this way. This chasm that has been naught to me To that fair-haired youth may a pit-fall be, He, too, must cross in the twilight dim; Good friend, I am building the bridge for him." - Will Allen Dromgoole

Bridge building is a powerful metaphor, and tool, for social change. Seeing and making connections – whether among people or ideas – is a hallmark of bridge builders, whose lives are rooted in values and who dedicate their time and energy to causes larger than themselves.
    For perhaps every societal breakthrough, there was some one who came before, who mentored others or offered the world a new idea.
    Bridge builders bring out the best in others by connecting resources and talents to great and worthy causes, especially anticipating the needs of future generations. Bridge builders use the wisdom and experience they have gleaned for the benefit of others, even those whom they may never meet.
    Seek to encourage, to connect, to strategize, and to share a vision with those who will come after.

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:31 pm

THE LIGHTHOUSE

On a dark, foggy night, a ship came upon the light of another vessel. The captain radioed his counterpart— “Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.” Through the crackly radio came the reply: “Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.”
    The captain stood his ground. He radioed: “This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.” And again came the reply: “No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.”
    Outraged, the captain spoke loudly into the radio: “THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES’ ATLANTIC
    FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH. THAT’S ONE-FIVE DEGREES NORTH.”

And came the reply: “This is a lighthouse. Your call.”

In a world constantly in need of improvement and change, humility is a critical and powerful virtue. As idealists and change makers, we are eager to see transformation and excited by the opportunity to make a difference, yet we may find our humility diminished by a competing value, to make change happen now. We feel our good ideas gaining momentum, our passion for change is fueled by the injustice and inequality all around, our drive and commitment grows stronger, and soon, perhaps without self- knowledge or intention, our humility wanes.

As humility is lost, so is our effectiveness. Vanity and self-importance cloud our judgment and rightly put off those who otherwise may want to follow, or better yet, lead, in the area of our deepest concern. Humility is not only a force multiplier, but an idealist’s paradox: to care so deeply about a cause larger than self, one needs, as has been often noted, to lose oneself. To be effective in social change, we must practice selflessness, to seek not so much to be “right” as to be effective, and to develop humility not only as an admired character trait, but as a skill.

Can we see ourselves as others may see us, hear ourselves as others may hear us, and view our actions as others may perceive them? Can we have strong values and beliefs, but always stand ready to learn, realize, or even assume that we may not be right after all? By asking others, “What do you think?” and making no assumptions as to who may have an inspired, breakthrough contribution, we can effectively lead positive change, and avert disaster along the way

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Mooji ◦ Nobody Can Touch This Flower ◦ 1 of 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceLIC8ic7n4

Mooji ◦ Nobody Can Touch This Flower ◦ 2 of 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVR6AvKMpHU

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:56 pm

Eckhart Tolle ◦ Tao Te Ching ◦ Waves of Awakening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKFS64boAso

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Ancient Futures - Learning from Ladakh

Ancient Futures is a remarkable look at the root causes of our environmental and social crises, and a powerful challenge to re-examine what we mean by "progress."
    Ladakh, or "Little Tibet," is a harsh, beautiful land high in the Western Himalayas of India. A model of sustainable living, the traditional Ladakh culture has prospered, virtually free of crime and pollution. Now, centuries of ecological balance and social harmony are eroding as the result of western influences.

Watch on Vimeo: Arrow http://vimeo.com/21643212?action=share&post_id=637518309_274771372626425#_=_

Thubs Up

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:02 pm

A poem that inspired me left as a comment under some youtuber's music .
    I wanted to give them longer life before they disappear through time.

I am, I note the time as relevant as carbon

To wonder down upon stairs and out into the garden

I stare up into the night sky to view those that gave us birth

and shed a tear and smile, as a conscious universe.

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Remembering who you really are
    Is a subtle shift of attention
    From a tense present
    To the present tense.

Jeff Foster

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm

But I Don't Know What to Say...

Though words often fail us when friends or family face a terminal illness, they're often all we have left.

Words fail most of us when someone we love is dying. But beyond hugs, words are what we have left. The following was compiled with the help of several terminally ill friends and advice from others who work with individuals facing life's end.

Strange as it sounds, the terminal diagnosis is often the "easy" part. After the diagnosis comes breaking the news to friends and family, dealing with colleagues and neighbors, finding new ways to speak about the unspeakable.

"Somehow it seems a little unfair," says one 55-year-old woman suffering from metastasized breast cancer. "I weigh my words to avoid burdening my friends, and they stay away because they think they don't know what words to use."

Don't let a concern for saying the "wrong thing" keep you away from a friend or loved one who's facing death. The best solution is often to say nothing at all, simply to be present. Or, if you are a close friend, to say, "I love you" and let it go at that. "I love you," according to the woman above, "is sort of a generic OK expression in the case of those who are dying."

Simple expressions of concern are what most of us, living or dying, welcome, especially if the expression comes from a good listener. Critical to talking with someone who is dying is practicing the art of listening: be present and wait; or ask a question and wait. Try to avoid offering instant solutions or pleasantries, instead saying, "That must be awful/gratifying/painful/frustrating/wonderful," or whatever single word fits.

One man uses this effective greeting with a close friend who is dying, pausing quietly between phrases: "How are you doing physically?"... "How are you doing emotionally?"... "How are you doing spiritually?"

"It's important to differentiate between 'spiritual' and 'religious'," says Sara, another woman in her fifties with cancer now defying intervention. "People willing to share their thoughts on the possibilities of something more than this mortal life have been really helpful to me. But I know others who want to dump their own religious certainties on me and that can be terribly offensive." The "just listen" admonition may be particularly appropriate here.

Joan, a non-observant Jew, also facing terminal cancer, feels strongly that this life is all there is. "I am perfectly comfortable with the belief that the end is the end," she says. "Others may need to believe in something more, and that's fine. I don't think I need to 'find God' right now--although perhaps I'll change my mind at the eleventh hour."

I have not talked with Joan about things spiritual since that brief exchange. What we talk about instead is the day at hand. If she is able to walk around the block, we rejoice over flowering shrubs or laugh at particularly homely-looking dogs being walked by matching owners. If a new manifestation of her disease is especially terrible (Black tongue today? Yick. Would cold carrot-and-apple soup taste good?), I try to listen to how it must feel.

Or we talk about small successes past. Recognizing and acknowledging the impact for good that one leaves behind, thanks to some deed or interaction, can be a comfort in the waning days of life. (Do you remember the time...? I was just thinking about ...")

With casual friends, neighbors and colleagues, questions, sincerely meant and sincerely asked, are often welcome and useful . The traditional "How are you?" can evoke the traditional "Fine" and end the exchange. (Which is sometimes all that's intended.) But a thoughtful question--"Do you want to talk about..". or "Will you help me find a way to be useful to you?" can establish a small connection on which other connections can be built.

One woman in her sixties tells me she is grateful to have had few bad reactions to the chemotherapy that is buying her a few extra months, and to have very little pain.

"But when someone asks if I'm in pain and I tell them 'no,' they assume I'm fine--or getting better. I'm not fine and I'm not getting better. I just don't happen to be in pain." Her wish is that friends could rejoice with her about that particular moment without expanding it to unrealistic degrees. Enjoying the moment is something you learn when moments are quickly disappearing; it's also a gift the dying make to the living.

Joan, undergoing chemo while keeping her high-level executive job, found subtle differences in her colleagues' tone and words often brought unexpected comfort or distress. "It's funny how small, insignificant details can loom large," she says. "I was happy to hear things at work like 'I don't know what we will ever do without you.' But I was infuriated one day when someone said, 'How are we going to run this department when you're not here?' Like--Do I care?!"

Sara found her spirits suddenly lifted, though, when a co-worker she barely knew came up to her and said, softly but emphatically, "I hate the news about your health." "It was as if she were offering to fight alongside me," Sara says; "and she didn't even have to say the C-word out loud."

Here are some easy words to say out loud: I'm sorry. I want to help if I can. You're a wonderful friend. I love you.

Arrow http://www.beliefnet.com/Love-Family/2003/07/But-I-Dont-Know-What-To-Say.aspx

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Endless Consciousness (1 from 10)

A Lecture & discussion on " Endless Consciousness"
    (Near-death experience & consciousness beyond death)
    By: Professor Pim Van Lommel & Dr Seyed Mostafa Azmayesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMdR8yG0NI0

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:31 pm

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 31 Tree-photo-looking-up

With time, your roots grow deep and your branches long. You lean a little less backward in fear and a little less forward in doubt, resting solidly right where you are. When the wind blows, you bend. When it stops, you straighten. Your boughs provide shelter and shade. Your strength supports the sky.

— Momma Zen

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:16 pm

These days I am trying to learn a new kind of exploration, a way of moving through the world that is less about going after something already fully formed in my mind and more about letting the gifts of each day reveal themselves. I risk becoming aimless, and I fear losing my sense of purpose.

Christine Mason Miller

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Real Eloquence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6dkORGr0

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:29 am

Bentinho - Learning to Trust in Trust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZVgmSMiq6I

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:31 am

Mehrdad Mizani - Buddha at the Gas Pump Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEkWp4cGgF8

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:23 pm

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 31 553980_10152206830430333_994322620_n

Drink Your Tea

~

Drink your tea slowly and reverently,
    as if it is the axis
    on which the world earth revolves
    - slowly, evenly, without
    rushing toward the future;
    Live the actual moment.
    Only this moment is life.

- Thich Nhat Hahn

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:25 am

Joan Tollifson 'Painting the Sidewalk with Water' Interview by Renate McNay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uM_2-vQJEk

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Mira Kelley: from lawyer to past life regressions
    liloumace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6VQ4I5l7kQ

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Earlier than Language ~ Mooji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOlfEYJfnrI

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:52 am

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in."

- James Baldwin

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:57 pm

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:40 am

Relationships and Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjQXlPs4_g

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
    ~~ Buddha ~~

Love Always
    mudra

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:51 am