tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+39
Anchor
giovonni
sabina
sunflower
Linda
THEeXchanger
Beren
Gridkeeper
Sanicle
Carol
ClearWater
Zingara
enemyofNWO
spiritwarrior
SiriArc
HigherLove
Simplicity
investigator
reality=check
Jenetta
TRANCOSO
gscraig
Jonah
Silent Witness
Lad of the North
JesterTerrestrial
Floyd
devakas
lawlessline
Micjer
solent
lindabaker
orthodoxymoron
Lionhawk
newel
Brook
mudra
Mercuriel
malletzky
43 posters

Complaint against the Mists

Brook
    Brook

Complaint against the Mists - Page 3 Empty Re: Complaint against the Mists

Post  Brook Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:19 pm

so basically if we posted a link to the article in question we are okay as long as there is no copy write? Or does posting the link give the article back to the original writer and thereby not infringe on copy wright? I ask this because I'm pretty solid on the link thing....I usually post up links to the articles I mention.

It's the pictures that have me worried....too many to count....and I often do not link those. In fact I think lots of the places I got the pictures ..got them from somewhere else....so this is going to be quite interesting and a big job.

Thanks Mudra for your reply!

One more thing....I shouldn't think posting a youtube video would be a problem....is there a concern with that?
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Brook wrote:so basically if we posted a link to the article in question we are okay as long as there is no copy write? Or does posting the link give the article back to the original writer and thereby not infringe on copy wright? I ask this because I'm pretty solid on the link thing....I usually post up links to the articles I mention.

It's the pictures that have me worried....too many to count....and I often do not link those. In fact I think lots of the places I got the pictures ..got them from somewhere else....so this is going to be quite interesting and a big job.

Thanks Mudra for your reply!

One more thing....I shouldn't think posting a youtube video would be a problem....is there a concern with that?

I think the problem would be to reproduce the entire article Brook wether you give the link to it or not .
    Safer is to introduce article by quoting first few lines than give the link to it to read on .

The music used along youtube videos can be a problem I believe as I sometimes have seen youtube announcing some videos had been taken out due to copyright infringement due the music being used.

And yes some pictures have copyrights.

I am not an expert in these things really but I am sure there are people who are paid to go around the internet and check these things out hence these forumotion rules.

As Mercuriel said he will be back here and tell us more .

Love from me
    mudra
    Silent Witness
    Silent Witness

Post  Silent Witness Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Crazy Happy I'm my own copyright infringement Crazy Happy
    Jonah
    Jonah

Post  Jonah Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Just a quick comment...

Always a good idea to have an updated alternate contact list...

My new email is foreigneye@hushmail.com
    can email me for more info... hope you all are well..blessings

suppose we can always start another one Wink

so.. noone be discouraged... they truly are kidding themselves...

wwould love to know who filed a complaint! wont suprise me either way.
    lindabaker
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 pm

Was not the blowup between Bill and Kerry about music copyright infringement dangers? Kerry insisted that Bill pull the Beatles music that was an intro into one of their videos. (Or was it Lennon, no matter.) The argument got heated and it was simply a misunderstanding. Not to say that was all that was wrong in Camelot, but the first telling was this copyright stuff. Kerry was right. Having worked in the business, she was well aware of how these corporate enforcers work. They are thorough, and they have spies. I had spies come to a production of the Wizard of Oz at a community theater with a bunch of children, for heaven's sake. We knew better than to sing any of the songs. You can even serve jail time. The ones who work for these corporate owners are paid to bust people. The headquarters for the largest corporate owners are in Atlanta. I know some of them. They would put fines on people for singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow. You have to get permission (and pay money)to sing Happy Birthday in any film, theater production or staged event. Kids can't sing Happy Birthday in a school production. It's copyrighted in the US. Somebody owns it. The absurdity of it all.
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:39 pm

Jonah wrote:Just a quick comment...

Always a good idea to have an updated alternate contact list...

My new email is foreigneye@hushmail.com
    can email me for more info... hope you all are well..blessings

suppose we can always start another one Wink

so.. noone be discouraged... they truly are kidding themselves...

wwould love to know who filed a complaint! wont suprise me either way.

Right on Jonah!

They ARE kidding themselves............

brschiner@hotmail.com

And Linda....you read my mind....as the "activity" I've watched within the last week here at the Mists...would seriously include that possibility.

Micjer
    Micjer

Post  Micjer Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Let's think positive. We have JT fighting for the cause now....

gscraig
    gscraig

Post  gscraig Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 pm

Merc,

The grounds for which Forummotion are attempting to stand on seems rather fragile in my opinion. There is a major problem when a service provider ask you to remove a needle in a haystack, but won't tell you where the needle is. Even if this is somehow, somewhere established in small print or in their so called "terms of service", it can be challenged. Simply on the grounds of placing the burden on you without providing any recourse that they have acknowledged having access to. That's called bad business and in a court of law, if a person or business complains of an infraction and ask you to correct it, but refuse or refused to tell you specifically what that infraction was to allow the correction to occur, a judge would throw that and them out of court. Followed up with telling them to revise the policy or "terms of service".

I would encourage reviewing their terms of service again, to see if it specifically states that you can be shutdown based on the grounds explained to you via the exchange you posted. Even if you have signed off on such terms, it does not forgive the burdening structure of such terms. I would also request being escalated directly to someone who knows first hand of the complaint or the office/department where this would have been received and speak only with them. Stand firm. Make them provide you the means of being in compliance, for if they don't, then they are not in compliance.

When I saw that the contact BASE was listed as age 19 (this may not be their actual age) a red flag went up. This would be due to this contact may likely be a volunteer or employee following protocol/guidelines handed down to them, without the ability to consider "outside of protocol" solutions. Simply someone working from home following orders.

Apparently, it is something in relation to the Vortex link (UTUBE) but you can also ask Forummotion what is the turnaround time for them to their customers/users of a violation of policy? Better yet, what was the turnaround time for your particular situation? Is there a time stamp, when was the complaint submitted? By whom?
    This will give you a window of time for which something was posted that was in violation for researching, oppose to reviewing 51,000 items.

I hope this helps.
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Retentive to the nth IMHO. When money changes hands or when there is a defamation of character, remedies should obviously be pursued, but has either been the case in the mists? I think not.
    TRANCOSO
    TRANCOSO

Post  TRANCOSO Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:29 am

It might not be a bad idea to remind 'Base' that when the rest of his customers are being made aware of what they wanna do to MoA, a lot of them might reconsider their account...
    Jenetta
    Jenetta

Complaint against the Mists - Page 3 Empty Re: Complaint Against The Mists

Post  Jenetta Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:50 am

Floyd that alternative link you provided http://www.invisionplus.net I'm having trouble with...not coming up as a webpage.
    Its going to be a "dratty" job if we have to go through all our posts...and of course not everyone who has ever posted on the Mists is going to cover their backside:roll:
    Jester you really crack me upComplaint against the Mists - Page 3 245713

Post  malletzky Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 am

mudra wrote:
    Brook wrote:One more question...what exactly was on the deleted post in question? The one in the warning....I still don't know what was in that post that brought it into question in the first place.

I have been wondering about the same thing .

Love from me
    mudra

I posted this in my previous post here:

http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t2992-complaint-against-the-mists#52189

It's a video from Gridkeeper that has now been removed from the mists, and you can find that video on youtube when you search with the terms vortex energy part 27 of 27 ....

But as I said, I doubt that the music compilied by Gridkeeper could have something to do with this issue.

much respect
    Mall.
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:42 am

Embedding youtube videos is not a violation of terms of service really, otherwise the forum owners would be spending the rest of their company life deleting forums so it is not really in their interests to bite the hands that feed them,. Its a grey area.

If you embed copyrighted material then the owner of that material may or may not take issue with the link provider but they would more likely be fancied to challenge the uploader who allowed the embed code in the first place. Record and TV companies would take their issues to google, youtube's owners as it would be ridiculous, nigh impossible to stop the embedding of videos on forums and other such venues.

If you run a website that has the sole intention of embedding new movies or albums then obviously you may as well paint a rather large target on you forehead stating the words 'aim here' . As this and other websites do not have that modus operandi then, I cant see millions of forums being deleted because of this issue. Unless of course someone has an axe to grind which would be a different matter.

Simply put, if its embeddable and you didn't upload it then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it unless you are running a movie website or something like that.

Jenneta. One of the severs is down at Invision FYI.

Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 am

Sorry to You All for not getting on last Night. When I got Home from Work yesterday - The Internet in the Northern Town I live in was down. Something about a Line Signal Booster being blown and that It would be back up'n'running by Noon today.

At any rate. I have read the Suggestions and Comments made here in the Thread since I was on yesterday and I have loosely fleshed out a plan of action as this goes down. Like I said though - Please allow Me to try and get in contact with Carol to chat about It with Her for any feedback first. If I can't get ahold of Her by Noon My time - I'll begin to Post My suggestions in this Thread about how to proceed and She can just chime in as She Logs in and sees the Thread developing.

That said - Yes - We must unite and not divide. I do not want to see anyone labeled here as causing It. Its useless speculation and not possible to pin down so why try ? Its not constructive and will get Us nowhere...

As has been said - We move on - We deal with It - They can't silence Us - We will endeavour to persevere...

Double Thumbs Up

Peace, Light, Love, Harmony and Unity...
    Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:24 am

K - Off to Work out - Then I'll be back in here to begin Posting about how We'll tackle this as a Family...

Thubs Up

See Y'all in 60 Minutes approx...

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:36 am

Ok Mercuriel .
    Looking forward for your plan .

Love for You
    mudra
    Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:56 pm

OK - I'm back. Give Me a few minutes to compose the Post...

Wink

Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:50 pm

Here are some suggestions I've come up with so as to try and avoid the Punitive Deletion of Our Forums by Forumotion for a SUPPOSED Violation of the Terms of Service.

1. Disable HTML - Done...

2. Delete All Topics in the "Oh The Drama" SubForum - Not Completed...

3. Delete All Files and Documents being held as Attachments in Our Forums (They can be reposted later on if necessary after having been checked for Issues such as Copyright Infringement) - Not Completed...

4. Ask All Members to check Their Posts for Issues that may Violate the TOS (Using the "View Your Posts" Link to accomplish It) - Not Completed...

5. Send out a Mass Emailing to All Members about this detailing the Backup Site at Invision - The Measures We're undertaking to prevent this as well as any other Pertinent Information They may need before the Forumotion Timer expires on Us - Not Completed...

BTW - Our Window of action is currently at > 4 d 10 h 18 min...

Oh and Metaw - We're unable to access the MySQL for this Forum and so I think the advice You would have given Us may not be applicable here. If not - Please state that and I will send You the PM You requested in answer...

If anyone has any additional comments or suggestions - Then by all means please state them here in this Thread and We'll see if We can't incorporate them into the Plan...

Wink

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:39 pm

For your info Mercuriel ,

I went through about 80 pages of my postings yesterday and shortened all articles posted to just a few lines and link to the rest.
    Today I deleted all pdfs I could by going to UCP " joined files " .
    I send you a PM just now concerning a few of them I am unable to delete either through UCP or on the relevant thread itself.
    I 'll carry on today checking my posts and carry on same work as yesterday.

Love from me
    mudra
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:53 pm

It would be helpful if you led us to understand exactly what to look for within our posts exactly...so we as a group know what to correct. does this mean we have to go to each link for copywright notice..and if so....does having the link there cover that aspect. I'm foggy on this as to what to do to proceed.

I'm still a bit fuzzy as to what was in the post that was reported that caused the infraction.

That would be in all respect as to the Terms of Service policy as it states is a bit vague in certain areas...such as pictures. That is what is my concern with my particular posts.
    reality=check

Post  reality=check Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:10 pm

OK I've been through my posts back to June last year. Can't see anything embedded or pictures... that may be copy write... or that's been pulled from another site.

It's prolly some snotty twit emailing a grievance to stir the pot. Something like "if its not removed in 21 days blah blah"

Seems to me the offending article piece vid picture or what ever else it was has been removed anyway. What your getting is a standard run around by the site provider to make sure there's nothing else on here, if there ever was, that they might be pulled up on. Scare tactics essentially.

I say XXXX em bunch of twats and go somewhere else where we're treated with respect in a dignified business like fashion. None of this criptic run around childish malarky...pathetic! If they can't be arsed to point out discrepancies for us to take care of we'll be dangled on the same old string by every nob head with a grievance against us.

I don't advocate litigation because it's costly and pretty worthless doing but data protection means you are allowed to see anything on file about you including grievences...if you haven't signed that right away. You can't see who set the grievence cause they are covered under data pro-bloody-tections too.

I wouldn't touch anything. The so called offending article was already deleted. I would suspend the posters account up to an hour after the dead line, to prove dilegence and stop him her paisting it back on 30 seconds to dead line lol

Anyways, you guys have our email accounts and there's the link back to the old site. Tell the site provider you have checked everything, deleted the posters account have set (bullshit) protocols in place to discourage infringments then let it go TIC bloody TOC. If that ain't enough and they are too stupid not to tell us what / where infringments are, there's always the original MoA. Double Thumbs Up
    lindabaker
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank you Reality Check. I agree.
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:29 pm

How do we know which videos are in violation? I'm going through my posts and have tons of videos....any suggestions? Help on the pictures would be helpful as well....I have ton's of them as do others here. I'm less concerned with linked posts and more concerned with videos and pictures.
    Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:32 pm

OK - Well I'll mull over the advice given tonight. I'll try to get online later but that may be difficult again as My Internet at Home is not yet back up'n'running. I am hoping that It will be soon so that I can then get Online but if that is not the case - Then I'll be back on again in the morning as per My usual over the last couple of days...

I have to head out now to travel Home so hopefully I'll see You all later tonight and if not - Then - Tomorrow Morning It is...

LaToRz...

Wink

Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Well - I have been sent Notices on My Youtube Channel for having Music that was Unedited. I then resampled It to 432HZ and put My own Visuals in and It was then Mine and not Copyrighted.

That said - I would say that if It is made by someone and Posted on Their Youtube Channel - It'd be OK but if It was Posted on a User's Channel and It was another Person's Information or say a Movie or Interview that They didn't take part in either doing or creating - Its likely an Infringement and We may want to remove It or just put a Link to It.

Links obviously should go to Legitimate Addresses and no Links should go to Sites or Resources where Warez - Porn - Phishing or Hacking is condoned. Simply Check the Link and If You get a fairly wholesome URL - Move on - If Its one of the places I've mentioned previously - Remove It or find a more acceptable resource to Link to.

Just thinking out loud here but thats how I'm going to tackle My own Posts...

Wink

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:37 pm