tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

Skype bought by Microsoft

devakas
    devakas

Skype bought by Microsoft Empty Skype bought by Microsoft

Post  devakas Wed May 11, 2011 12:49 am

Microsoft paid double - for Internet telephone company Skype for $8.5 billion in cash from an investor group led by Silver Lake private investment fund, its biggest deal ever, Microsoft said in a statement on Tuesday.

The deal is aimed at improving Microsoft's existing portfolio of real-time communications products and services, the company said.

Skype will support Microsoft's devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and a wide array of Windows devices, while Microsoft will connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities.

Microsoft also said it would continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms. Skype also provides services for applications for the iPhone and iPad, Motion's BlackBerry and Android phones.

Microsoft will create a new business division for Skype and appoint Skype CEO Tony Bates as president of Microsoft Skype Division.

The companies hope to obtain all required regulatory approvals by the end of the year.

Founded in 2003, Skype was acquired by eBay in 2005, and in 2009 purchased by a group of investors led by Silver Lake. Other members of the selling group are eBay International AG, CPP Investment Board, Joltid Limited in partnership with Europlay Capital Advisors.

Media reports say that Facebook and Google also showed interest in Skype, which made a $7 million net loss in 2010, but their offers were only around half what Microsoft offered.

Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Skype bought by Microsoft Empty Re: Skype bought by Microsoft

Post  Mercuriel Wed May 11, 2011 9:41 am

Kiss anything that was good about Skype Goodbye...

Gates will destroy It until all that remains is an Internet Based - Pay as You go - International Phone App with the Connection and Usage Charges filling Microsoft Coffers...

Simply put - Name One thing They've improved on ?

I mean My PC still locks up almost 30 Years on into Their OS's and I'm a techie that knows PCs and Windows...

Some have even called Windows - Winblows and I won't disagree with 'em...

Suspect

Peace, Light, Love, Harmony and Unity...

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:30 pm