tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+18
devakas
Betsy
Arrowwind
THEeXchanger
burgundia
Lionhawk
ClearWater
Brook
lindabaker
anomalous cowherd
Ladyfreedom
Floyd
Carol
mudra
MargueriteBee
romina
sjkted
Nenuphar
22 posters

Who is planting a garden this year?

Anonymous

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Empty Re: Who is planting a garden this year?

Post  Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:54 am

Brook your garden looks wonderful so much space ! sunny

Mudra I havent used a pallet yet , the one I have is part of my compost heap but I think you would want to cover the back and bottom of the pallet with some plastic liner to minimise moisture on the wall. Then if you lay it flat to fill it with soil and plant in seedlings with good roots so they can establish quick and hold the soil in or you could staple in a weed membrane behind the wood on the inside(this might be easier said than done ) and fill with soil from the top and cut wee holes to put plants through ??!
    hope this is of some help
    silver*
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Empty Re: Who is planting a garden this year?

Post  Carol Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 am

Now what to do with all the veggies?

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Frozen-veggies-300x199
    FREEZING VEGGIES
    Jun 6th, 2011 | By Esther

Freezing our bountiful harvest is an easy way of preserving our produce, but the foods will not keep as long. In freezing the organisms that cause spoilage become inactive. However, they don’t die. The bacteria can’t grow as long as the produce remains frozen, but once it is thawed, they will begin growing once again.

You should be aware of some changes in your vegetables before you start freezing. Foods may become mushy when thawed because ice crystals cause damage in the cells of the foods. If you keep foods frozen for too long or if they are frozen in improper containers, it will cause freezer burn. This will cause the color and taste of the foods to be changed for the worse. Such food is still safe to eat in this condition, but it is not be as appealing.

Freezing is a simple process, and not much equipment is required to get started – just your household freezer and containers. The easiest containers are common freezer bags found in your local supermarket. You can also freeze in your canning jars, plastic containers (such as butter or cottage containers), aluminum foil, plastic wrap, and freezer paper. You will need to allow for the food to expand as it freezes, so be sure to leave plenty of space for this process. Not leaving this room for expansion will cause your containers to leak in your freezer and make an icy mess to clean up later.

Freezing Vegetables is much like freezing fruits, only you won’t be adding sugar. Instead you will be blanching them (heating in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes and then immediately cooling in cold water) before packing into containers and freezing. Blanching kills the enzymes that age vegetables. Blanched foods will taste fresher when taken from the freezer. Submerging in cold water stops the cooking process.

You will need to leave a headspace on some of your vegetables.

Some vegetables darken after they are cut, and to prevent this darkening you will need to use an anti-darkening agent. A natural anti-darkening solution that can be used is a teaspoon of lemon juice to a quart of water. Soaking your veggies for five to ten minutes prior to placing them in the containers for freezing will prevent this. You can also use commercial anti-darkening, such as “Fruit Fresh” by following the instructions on the package. Using either will work with great results.

VEGGIE FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS

Asparagus: wash and cut off tough stems. Blanch small stalks 2 minutes, large ones for 4 minutes. Cool, drain, and pack into containers, alternating tip and stem ends. No headspace needed.

Beans, Green and Wax: pick when young and tender (beans with strings are too tough). Remove stems and break into 1-2 inch pieces. Wash. Blanch 3 minutes, dip into cold water to cool. Drain, pack, and freeze. Leave ½ inch headspace.

Beets: When trimming beets leave 1 inch of their tops to prevent them from bleeding. Not leaving the stems will cause them to bleed out and turn white during cooking. Wash beets and cook for 25 minutes. Cool in cold water. Rub off peels when cool—skins should slip off easily now. Cut into cubes or slices, pack into containers, leave ½ inch headspace, and freeze.

Broccoli: Wash and peel stalks. To remove insects, soak in a solution of 4-5 teaspoons salt to a gallon of water for half an hour. Blanch three minutes, cool in cold water, drain, pack into containers leaving no headspace, and freeze.

Brussels Sprouts: Trim and remove outer leaves. Wash and blanch 3 minutes for small heads, 5 minutes for large heads. Cool in cold water, drain, pack into containers leaving no headspace, freeze.

Cabbage: Remove outer leaves and cut into quartets. Wash. Blanch for 2 minutes. Cool in cold water, drain and pack into containers leaving ½ inch headspace. Once frozen cabbage is only suitable for use as a cooked vegetable, not for coleslaw.

Carrots: Remove tops, wash, and peel if desired. Leave small carrots whole; slice large ones. Blanch whole carrots 5 minutes, sliced carrots 2 minutes. Cool in cold water and drain. Pack into containers leaving ½ inch headspace, freeze.

Cauliflower: Break into 1 inch pieces and wash. To remove insects soak in a solution of 4-5 teaspoons salt to a gallon of water for half an hour. Drain and rinse. Blanch three minutes and cool in cold water. Pack into containers leaving no headspace, freeze.

Corn: Husk and remove silk from ears. Blanch ears five minutes. Cool in cold water and drain. Cut kernels from cob and cover with water, pack into containers leaving 1-inch headspace.

Corn-on-the-cob: Husk and remove silk from ears. Blanch ears five minutes. Cool in cold water and drain. Wrap each ear in plastic wrap, pack into freezer bags and freeze.

Mushrooms: wash in cold water. To remove insects soak in a solution of 4-5 teaspoons salt to a gallon of water for several hours or overnight. Rinse well. If mushrooms are larger than 1-inch, slice or quarter them. Soak mushrooms in anti-darkening solution for 5 minutes, drain. Steam for 5 minutes, cool in cold water and pack into containers leaving ½ inch headspace, freeze.

Okra: Pick young, tender pods. Wash and cut off stem ends, being careful not to open seed cells. Blanch for 4 minutes, cooling promptly in cold water. Leave whole or slice, pack into containers leaving ½ inch headspace, freeze.

Onions: Wash and peel. Chop and place into containers, leaving NO headspace.

Peas: Shell peas and wash to remove blossom ends and pod particles. Blanch 2 minutes, cool in cold water. Drain, pack peas into containers leaving ½ inch headspace, freeze.

Pea pods: Wash. Blanch for 2 minutes. Pack into containers and freeze.

Peppers: Wash, cut out seeds and chop. Pack into containers leaving no headspace, freeze.

Pumpkin: Wash and cut into quarters. Cook until soft by baking, steaming or boiling. Press through sieve. Cool, pack into containers leaving ½ inch headspace, freeze.

Sweet Potatoes: Wash and cook until almost tender. Cool in cold water and peel. Slice, mash, or leave whole. To prevent darkening dip in anti-darkening solution for 5 seconds. If mashed, add 2T lemon juice to each quart of sweet potatoes. Pack into containers leaving ½ inch headspace, and freeze.

Tomatoes: Wash, remove stems and blanch 3-4 minutes*. Cool in cold water and remove skins. Can quarter, halve, or leave whole. Pack into containers leaving ½ inch headspace and freeze.

Stewed tomatoes: Wash, remove stems and blanch 3-4 minutes*. Cool in cold water and remove skins. Quarter and cook about 20 minutes or until tender. Place pan into cold water to cool, pack into containers leaving ½ inch headspace and freeze.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2011/06/06/freezing-basics-for-vegetables/

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:00 am

mudra wrote:
    Floyd wrote:
    Here is a pic of one of my male courgette flowers. They are amazing. Like they are made of yellow tissue paper!

Gorgious Floyd sunny
    Is the one we saw you planting in the bag in the video ?

Love from me
    mudra

I have one in a giant pot and one in an eco bag...think this is the one from the pot one! Though the other is flowering too.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 am

Floyd wrote:

I have one in a giant pot and one in an eco bag...think this is the one from the pot one! Though the other is flowering too.

Great Floyd Cheerful

I have courgettes all over the place .
    I think I seeded too many of them ...
    They are doing nicely on my rear balcony amongst radishes and pumpkins .

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Courge10

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Courge11

Love from me
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:13 am

Nice Mudras Mudras

Those courgettes are going to invade your balcony. They will grow into unrelenting gigantinc green monsters of gargantuan proportions and you may have to move your cat out (I can see the bowl) to make room for them. I had four and gave two away. The remaining two have taken up half the city.
    They look nice and happy I must say.
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:39 am

This is a picture of my potato patch that i dug this year.
    2 rows of earlies and the rest main crop and some peas at the back
    It used to be our lawn but the kids have more fun running round it and the cats think its much better like this to !!

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 03410

also dug up the front garden this year hoping to grow as much as I can .
    this is a 4x4 m space .I have crammed in onions, garlic ,leeks ,salad, broadbeans more potatoes,herbs and some fruit bushes and trees

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 09613

loving spending all my time in the garden just dont want to be indoors anymore

silver*
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:30 am

Your garden is lovely silver* sunny
    As you my presence is very much with my plants these days .
    I found this guy's vision of planting fruit trees on every corner quite inspiring
    and I can see how following the green vision would soon turn Mother into a paradise
    for all to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSHIIGSR0BU&feature=player_embedded

Love from me
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:31 am

Nice pics silver..How are your spuds doing mate? A dry April and a wet may eh
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:46 am

Floyd wrote:Nice Mudras Mudras

Those courgettes are going to invade your balcony. They will grow into unrelenting gigantinc green monsters of gargantuan proportions and you may have to move your cat out (I can see the bowl) to make room for them. I had four and gave two away. The remaining two have taken up half the city.
    They look nice and happy I must say.

I know , I know Floyd .
    Every other seed that I planted has been quite temperate in it's outcome .
    But not the courgette . This plant definety loves me LOL
    I think I 'll have to bring them to my garden with some of the other plants.
    Must do something down there too ... I haven't begun yet though ...
    Trying to keep my babies away from the snails as long as I can I guess .

Love from me
    mudra

Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:25 am

mudra wrote:
    I know , I know Floyd .
    Every other seed that I planted has been quite temperate in it's outcome .
    But not the courgette . This plant definety loves me LOL
    I think I 'll have to bring them to my garden with some of the other plants.
    Must do something down there too ... I haven't begun yet though ...
    Trying to keep my babies away from the snails as long as I can I guess .

Love from me
    mudra

Mudras
    I think im in love with my courgettes. The other day I was playing my guitar to them and showering them with gifts. I think they are very responsive plants.

Yep keeping things off the grounds helps against those snails.

What about cut plastic bottles around them?
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:57 am

Your garden is lovely silver*
    I found this guy's vision of planting fruit trees on every corner quite inspiring
    and I can see how following the green vision would soon turn Mother into a paradise
    for all to enjoy.

Thanks mudra
    Enjoyed your link alot made me chuckle . Thats the kind of place Id like to live

Nice pics silver..How are your spuds doing mate? A dry April and a wet may eh

They seem to be ok .I have emptied 2 bags so far , 1 had lots of good size earlies the other was a bit of a washout (or a dry out possibly sunny ) Trying hard to be patient cos you cant put em back .Enjoying me home grown salad rocket ,spinach,lettuce and nasturium leaves for lunch with some wee tiny broadbeans that I shouldnt have picked but couldnt stop me self . Everything seems to be growing so slowly cos of the coldish weather or is just because I am watching it too close Shocked

silver*
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Whoo hooooo guys..check this out! My babies....almost a shame to eat them....hahahaha

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Photo41e

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Photo44q

and our cat Sasha is working it too.....she swatted at a bee yesterday and got stung...you should have seen the look on her face. But she's okay

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Photo43q
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Brook wrote:Whoo hooooo guys..check this out! My babies....almost a shame to eat them....hahahaha

I have been thinking this too .. the real fun is to give life does'nt it ?
    You're babies seem to have become adults to me cheers
    It 's such a joy to follow this thread and to discover the photos everyone is posting here .

Love from me
    mudra
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:20 pm

mudra wrote:Your garden is lovely silver* sunny
    for all to enjoy.

Love from me
    mudra

Woah, this man's vision is almost identical to my own. Great find mudra. JT

Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:09 am

They are really big ones you have there Brook

Good stuff!!
    lindabaker
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:01 am

Hay, Brook. You probably shouldn't let the squash get any bigger than the length of your hand from the wrist to the fingertips. The zucchini, especially. They taste much better that way. Otherwise, they get woody and tough. Lionhawk knows all of this, I can feel it. In the South, stuff grows like MAD and if you don't look out, the zucchini is as big as a car before you know it!

It has been very dry here, so no photos from me. Oh, help, it has only rained ONCE since I planted many, many weeks ago, which was Easter weekend, whenever that was. I surely hope that our drought does not return...there's no help for drought. You can water all you want but there is no substitute for rainfall.

Still complaining here...and I raised all of my plants from non hybrid heirloom seeds. Maybe I can get enough of a harvest to keep the seed stock going...that's all I can ask for right now.

My squash bloomed beautifully, and then the blossoms dried up and that was the end of that. I am trying to garden in the partial shade (I live in a forest) and that doesn't help, either. Our community does not allow clearing, even small trees must remain, so it's off to the farmers market for us! (The plants on the sunny deck shrivel up and die in the sunlight without any rain in the 95 degree weather.) It has been tough to water every day having a broken foot. I will plant a winter crop of greens as soon as the horrible heat subsides in three months.

I have garden envy, y'all! Keep up with the photos, I can have a vicarious experience.

Meantime, I am setting up a community garden so we can garden in the sunlight. Duh.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:43 am

Linda, given the sun in some areas a pergola type overhang would help where the sun is broken up. I doubt my deck garden will be alive when I return but the garden outside is likely doing better as a friend is watering it. Once again I may miss enjoying the fruits of my labor given I'm back in Oregon in the new north pole. Cricky it's fricken cold here much of the time and the growing season is very short. We are still be getting snow and rain. If the sun is out it's warm but yesterday in the morning it was in the 50s and out at the ranch has been down in the 30s at night.

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:47 am

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 27091310

sunny

Love Always
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:20 am

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Strawb10

Some strawbs..more on the way

Interesting fact: Rick Wakeman from Yes used to be the keyboardist in a band called the Strawbs. named after Strawberry Hill in London where they formed. Its near Twickenham for those interested.
    so without a graden im growing
    lettuce 3 kinds, onions,leeks,peppers,potatoes,courgettes, sunflowers,carrots, strawberries,basil,oregano,thyme,chervil,tomatoes and parsley.

..if i can do it anyone can do this trust me!
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:37 am

Strawberry's my favorite.

We have some wild strawberry's growing on the side of the house. But their not the same. We also have several types of berries growing in the wooded area surrounding the house. I'm hoping for wild blackberries. This is our first year here...so it's going to be a new discovery when they pop.

yes Linda you're right...we picked two yellow squash yesterday. And in one more day will pick two of the zucchini. One being in that picture...it's got about one more day according to LH.
    lindabaker
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Carol, the pergola overhang will be just the ticket, thank you so much! I still have time to plant again, as we don't have freeze until November. I can grow lettuce in every season except summer: too hot.
    lindabaker
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:18 pm

I want to plan a garden for about twenty active gardeners. I want to draw out a plot that is circular, with fruit trees on the perimeter. Inside, there will be individual plots. Does anybody have any garden plot plans with a circular layout? I need to do a presentation to a corporate entity so it will have to be a first class presentation or it will get ignored. In order to get a three or four acre plot grant (out of tens of thousands of acres) and garden water rights for my forest community, it will only take a little bit of effort to do it well. This will assure this corporation that they will be getting beautification in return for their bit of land and water. Links, anyone? Looks like I must spearhead a project here. Thank you in advance for any assistance. Linda
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:58 pm

lindabaker wrote:Carol, the pergola overhang will be just the ticket, thank you so much! I still have time to plant again, as we don't have freeze until November. I can grow lettuce in every season except summer: too hot.

With a pergola you can also have hanging tomatoes and strawberries. You can tie string up to the top beam and grow beans and peas too.

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 1588_13297_mm_1042
    ... way to grow delicious juicy tomatoes strawberries or herbs this
    Both strawberries and tomatoes like lots of water and can be watered 3-5 times a day

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Thumbnail.aspx?q=960699172248&id=d40203d78ce39c520f47d08937af504e&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.apartmenttherapy.com%2fuimages%2fsf%2f0616_garden01

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 Thumbnail.aspx?q=1015645682402&id=32b9279735aa5a18f0730751b1a9323f&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.instructables.com%2fimage%2fFVZ4VCTFW5GYH2M%2fVERTICAL-VEGETABLES-Grow-up-in-a-small-garden-a
    www.instructables.com
    Here is vertical veggies and it looks like they used a shoe clothes hanger to do this little project.

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 4 MEN-AM09-vertical_gardening
    This is a vertical garden

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:52 am