tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+18
devakas
Betsy
Arrowwind
THEeXchanger
burgundia
Lionhawk
ClearWater
Brook
lindabaker
anomalous cowherd
Ladyfreedom
Floyd
Carol
mudra
MargueriteBee
romina
sjkted
Nenuphar
22 posters

Who is planting a garden this year?

Lionhawk
    Lionhawk

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who is planting a garden this year?

Post  Lionhawk Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:33 pm

I have to apologize for some of these pics because what you see is often out of reference. I should take a 5 gallon bucket and place it near some of these plants so you can see how they are progressing. I have to admit, to have started this garden from an idea to do one and finally do it, has amazed the both of us. Not because I haven't dome gardening before, but maybe because I haven't done it in such a long time and also from a new soul perspective communing with Mother. This garden is very different than the others I have grown simply because I am doing different things, energy wise. The dance as it were.

We also just planted a 40' row of beets and 160 total feet of carrots. Now we are looking to transplant the herbs we have in our herb boxes. I just figured out that they would be doing a lot better if they were planted with the other plants instead of being suspended above the ground. Also a better grounding connection, energy wise.

We are also sharing this with our neighbors. Why not? We have some good neighbors. Very Happy
    burgundia
    burgundia

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who is planting a garden this year?

Post  burgundia Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:04 am

Mudra, cucumbers rich in vitamin C? From what I know fresh cucumbers shouldn't be mixed with other vegetables as they "kill" vit C.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:32 am

burgundia wrote:Mudra, cucumbers rich in vitamin C? From what I know fresh cucumbers shouldn't be mixed with other vegetables as they "kill" vit C.

I looked a lit closer into it Burgundia

Cucumber with peel : nutritional value

Cucumber, with peel, raw
    Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
    Energy 65 kJ (16 kcal)
    Carbohydrates 3.63 g
    - Sugars 1.67 g
    - Dietary fiber 0.5 g
    Fat 0.11 g
    Protein 0.65 g
    Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.027 mg (2%)
    Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.033 mg (2%)
    Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.098 mg (1%)
    Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.259 mg (5%)
    Vitamin B6 0.040 mg (3%)
    Folate (Vit. B9) 7 μg (2%)
    Vitamin C 2.8 mg (5%)
    Calcium 16 mg (2%)
    Iron 0.28 mg (2%)
    Magnesium 13 mg (4%)
    Phosphorus 24 mg (3%)
    Potassium 147 mg (3%)
    Zinc 0.20 mg (2%)

Love from me
    mudra
    burgundia
    burgundia

Post  burgundia Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:53 am

It contains some vit C but it also contains an enzyme which kills it in other vegetables. Ascorbinaza.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:26 am

burgundia wrote:It contains some vit C but it also contains an enzyme which kills it in other vegetables. Ascorbinaza.

Thanks Burgundia Cheerful

Love for you
    mudra
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Wow! I had no idea cucumbers had all that....I eat them like crazy...good thing huh? Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 83084
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:29 pm

I was impressed with cucumbers too and was trying to get a bunch of seedlings started the first time needing to leave for Oregon. They looked somewhat pathetic when I got back. Watered them and got them going again when I had to leave the next time. Hopefully someone is watering them. In fact, I had though of heading down to Safeway to purchase some on the trip home.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Oh wow! Seeing a post Mudra just did on the Vedic Scripts thread reminded me of this video I watched about a month ago. I found it interesting how this group of women farmed this land...you will find this video quite interesting in the sense of planting certain groups of foods in areas that are not the easiest to farm...enjoy Wink

Lionhawk
    Lionhawk

Post  Lionhawk Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:48 pm

Cucumbers are running $.68 each at Walmart.

The gas they produce is part of that price. Malletzky
    THEeXchanger
    THEeXchanger

Post  THEeXchanger Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:20 pm

thank you Brook, for that interesting video
    on women farming, it was very enjoyable
    THEeXchanger
    THEeXchanger

Post  THEeXchanger Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:21 pm

thank you Lionhawk, for the best laugh, i've had today Wink
    Arrowwind
    Arrowwind

Post  Arrowwind Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:49 am

I am gardening also.. this will be my second year at it.. because of our high altitude and zone 3 to 4 I have lots of challenges... I finally planted my raised beds about 2 weeks ago, spinaches and lettuces, beets and things are starting to pop up.. many of you already have veggies Im sure.

But now our sunny is finally shinning everyday and the last freeze (I hope)was last week so I will be transplanting all my seed starts soon. Many of these I start inside not because of the temperature as they are cold temp plants but because of the potential for hail.. we had lots of hail last year.. better this year..

I doubled the size of my garden this time around, doing the lasagna method of soil building, also called layered gardening. I've been pretty impressed with it so far. Last year the only plants that failed were cucumbers,, its just not warm enough for them here.. and I had no pests, and next to now weeds.. all I credit to the lasagna method
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:58 am

The kitchen spa
    These five foods will nourish your skin — from the outside in.

Help your skin survive unpredictable weather with these two essential steps: exfoliation and moisturization. Skin-cell buildup leads to dryness, poor circulation and blemishes. Exfoliation eliminates these dead cells, revealing fresh skin that is better able to absorb moisture. And guys, take note: While men’s skin tends to be oilier than women’s, men may be more prone to epidermal dehydration.

Food: Avocado
    Purpose: Moisturizer

The scoop: Loaded with vitamins A, B, C and E, as well as potassium and fat, avocado is the perfect moisturizer. This natural soother is ideal for mature and weather-worn skin, reducing roughness, cracking and irritation. The oil found in the peel of the avocado contains a humectant, a substance that locks in moisture.
    Recipe: Take a spent avocado peel and using gentle upward strokes, lightly massage your face with the inside of the peel. You can either leave on as a nighttime moisturizer or, for daytime, wash your face with it gently, rinsing three or four times with warm water; pat dry.

Food: Cucumber
    Purpose: Moisturizer

The scoop: Cucumbers contain compounds known to tighten pores and reduce inflammation, which is why they’re the classic choice for minimizing puffiness around the eyes.
    Recipe: Puree 1 tablespoon each of cucumber and parsley. Then blend in 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt until smooth. Cover your face with this creamy masque and leave on 15-20 minutes. This will rejuvenate your skin as it moistens. Rinse off with water.

Food: Oatmeal
    Purpose: Exfoliant and moisturizer

The scoop: Oats are especially soothing for wind-worn or itchy skin, due to their anti-inflammatory properties. Finely ground oatmeal draws impurities from the skin, stimulates circulation and encourages new cell growth. Oat proteins also form a protective barrier to help retain moisture and prevent water loss.
    Recipe: Mix 2 tablespoons each of ground oats and aloe vera with 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice until you have a smooth paste. Gently massage onto damp skin. Rinse off with warm water. Excellent for your face or as a smoothing body treatment.

Food: Peach
    Purpose: Exfoliant

The scoop: Peaches are rich sources of skin-renewing alpha-hydroxy fruit acids, which get rid of dead cells, and vitamins A and C to nourish new ones. Peach juice helps unblock pores, fight blemishes and may even lighten age spots and minimize wrinkles. Its astringent, toning effects are especially effective for oily skin.
    Recipe: For a simple skin pick-me-up, cut a slice of a juicy peach and massage the flesh on your face. Leave the juice on for 20 minutes, then rinse with warm water. Or rub the inside of the skins of a peach on your face for a few minutes at bedtime and let the juice absorb overnight.

Food: Strawberry
    Purpose: Exfoliant

The scoop: Each strawberry packs a mighty dose of exfoliating vitamin C and alpha-hydroxy acids, which help remove dirt and dead skin cells. AHAs also help reduce pore size and minimize ingrown hairs due to shaving, especially important for men. Perfect for oily skin, strawberries improve texture, minimize greasiness, and encourage a healthy, radiant complexion.
    Recipe: With a fork, mash 8-9 strawberries into a paste. Add 3 tablespoons of honey; mix. (Be sure not to over blend or the mask will be runny.) Apply directly to your skin and let sit for a few minutes, then rinse off.

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Some update on my city garden ... just to show you how nicely things have been growing since end of may

How it was :

http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t2054p45-who-is-planting-a-garden-this-year#46967

And how it is now :

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 Sunp0111

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 Sunp0112

Yesterday first radish agreed that I eat it ... a very special moment for me as this was my first self grown vege too .

It is a profound joy for me to have this connection with the plant realm .
    I wish I could send over and share with you the perfumes they release as well .
    I noticed they come at special moments of the day in the morning with first watering.

Hope everyone is doing well .

Lawless

Love from me
    mudra
    Betsy
    Betsy

Post  Betsy Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:29 pm

I just love this thread. It's so refreshing! Enjoy the pictures you all shared. Can feel your enthusiasm.

Mudra, can you walk at all on your balcony?

Am reminded of an old saying:

"You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl." From spring until fall I have a dilly of a time keeping my nails clean. Just love the feel of the Earth in my hands.
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Okay! good news...I did not blow up the kitchen! And I've made one dozen pint jars of dill pickles. Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 245713 My first time ever canning anything...I have another batch to make and the next will be garlic dills..then I will attempt bread and butter chips...Lionhawks personal favorite... Wink See......there's hope for me yet....LOL

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 Photo52mh

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 Photo53e
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 Ththsnoopydance = Brook

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:40 pm

Carol wrote:
    Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 Ththsnoopydance = Brook

Hahaha...I love that! I feel like the little train that could Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 849210

City girl turned country! Who'd of thunk it? Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 193366
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:04 pm

Betsy wrote:
    Mudra, can you walk at all on your balcony?

Hi there Betsy ,

Welcome in our Mists cheers
    As veges began to grow and expand on my balconies there was not much room left for me .
    That's why I began to hang some of these lighter pots .
    New ideas come as I go along and it's part of the fun Cheerful

Love for You
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Brook wrote:Okay! good news...I did not blow up the kitchen! And I've made one dozen pint jars of dill pickles. Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 245713 My first time ever canning anything...I have another batch to make and the next will be garlic dills..then I will attempt bread and butter chips...Lionhawks personal favorite... Wink See......there's hope for me yet....LOL

That's looks good Brook sunny
    It is a pleasure to share the pleasure you are having in preparing these cheers
    Shall we appoint you cook in our Lodge ?

Love from me
    mudra

Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:26 pm

mudra wrote:
    Brook wrote:Okay! good news...I did not blow up the kitchen! And I've made one dozen pint jars of dill pickles. Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 245713 My first time ever canning anything...I have another batch to make and the next will be garlic dills..then I will attempt bread and butter chips...Lionhawks personal favorite... Wink See......there's hope for me yet....LOL

That's looks good Brook sunny
    It is a pleasure to share the pleasure you are having in preparing these cheers
    Shall we appoint you cook in our Lodge ?

Love from me
    mudra

I wouldn't go that far yet LOL...have to taste them tomorrow....but I have to tell you I've been beaming around the house all day. I feel pretty proud of myself today.

I seriously was never inclined to do the things I'm doing now. But I really love it. These were the things I missed out on working as I did and not having the time to get down and learn to take self sustainability seriously. This is just a start for me....but a much needed one.
    If I can do it...anybody can.
    Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 849210

So....taste test tomorrow...to be continued Wink
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Brook wrote:

I wouldn't go that far yet LOL...have to taste them tomorrow....but I have to tell you I've been beaming around the house all day. I feel pretty proud of myself today.

I seriously was never inclined to do the things I'm doing now. But I really love it. These were the things I missed out on working as I did and not having the time to get down and learn to take self sustainability seriously. This is just a start for me....but a much needed one.
    If I can do it...anybody can.
    Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 849210

So....taste test tomorrow...to be continued Wink

I understand you so well Brook . From all the things I do during the day taking care of my city garden has become one of the things that I value most .
    If you have'nt seen the following yet have a go at them ... I am sure you 'll enjoy :

Victorian Kitchen Garden: INTRODUCTION
    Full playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkqJP2H4_II&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=PL620C5F0FA91C8B8B

It was quite a responsability to be a gardener in those times .

Love from me
    mudra
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks Mudra...that WAS inspiring!
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:44 pm

A garden oddity...... Shocked

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 Photo55c
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:06 am

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 6 Photo510

Heart shape twins

cheers

Love Always
    mudra

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:21 am