tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+18
devakas
Betsy
Arrowwind
THEeXchanger
burgundia
Lionhawk
ClearWater
Brook
lindabaker
anomalous cowherd
Ladyfreedom
Floyd
Carol
mudra
MargueriteBee
romina
sjkted
Nenuphar
22 posters

Who is planting a garden this year?

Anonymous

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who is planting a garden this year?

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:36 pm

cool pics Carol cheers
    Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Tufnel11

love the nothings going to stop me attitude of this guy ! dont actually know where ground level is
    silver*

Last edited by silver* on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mudra
    mudra

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who is planting a garden this year?

Post  mudra Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:37 pm

lindabaker wrote:I want to plan a garden for about twenty active gardeners. I want to draw out a plot that is circular, with fruit trees on the perimeter. Inside, there will be individual plots. Does anybody have any garden plot plans with a circular layout? I need to do a presentation to a corporate entity so it will have to be a first class presentation or it will get ignored. In order to get a three or four acre plot grant (out of tens of thousands of acres) and garden water rights for my forest community, it will only take a little bit of effort to do it well. This will assure this corporation that they will be getting beautification in return for their bit of land and water. Links, anyone? Looks like I must spearhead a project here. Thank you in advance for any assistance. Linda

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Infra-path_2

Community garden infrastructure : http://communitygarden.org.au/basic-infrastructure

All the best with your garden Linda

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:39 pm

silver* wrote:Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Tufnel11

love the nothings going to stop me attitude of this guy ! dont actually know where ground level is
    silver*

Now that's really cool silver* Crazy Happy Thubs Up Thubs Up Thubs Up

Love from me
    mudra
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:58 pm

This is really inventive Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 83084

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Thumbnail.aspx?q=1015645682402&id=32b9279735aa5a18f0730751b1a9323f&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.instructables.com%2fimage%2fFVZ4VCTFW5GYH2M%2fVERTICAL-VEGETABLES-Grow-up-in-a-small-garden-a
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:42 pm

This isnt the pretty pictures we have already seen
    but opens up the idea of what can be used .
    helps with water use and ground level pests and
    if its no garden or a plastic bag garden !
    Will look better when all the veg is growing out the top
    Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 20115711
    Latest news on the project following a fact finding trip to Kenya 2011

If every discarded plastic supermarket carrier bag was used as a hanging container for growing vegetables worldwide food shortage would be eradicated. So say Rochdale Rotarian David Acton and Middleton Rotarian John Brooker rotary international members of a water/horticultural conservation evaluation team who experienced a ‘eureka’ moment on a recent trip to Kenya.
    Acton explained that they had taken vertical vegetable growing bags to trial in the semi arid areas of Kenya, within 2 days of arrival they realised that the cost of the product they had taken was more than the poverty stricken African market could afford.
    After much brain storming with members of the Kenyan Rotary team and the local rural community development agency staff, it was decided that what is the scourge of the world, used supermarket plastic bags was in fact the answer to universal hunger, that leap of imagination and the worldwide ramifications of using discarded plastic bags to grow food was worthy of an on the spot celebration. (see jpeg image 1195)
    The main advantage is that the bags are free and available worldwide. There are supermarkets everywhere albeit of varying sizes, reports David Acton. The completed grow bag takes 5 seconds to make – place one bag inside another for strength, half fill with suitable growing medium, hang it up, punch 2 holes 1”/2cm up from the bottom of the bag, plant seeds or push in a seedling ‘plug’ add water and let nature take its course.
    Other advantages over growing traditionally at ground level are: when the bag is hung up it creates a plastic ‘cone’ shape this allows condensation to trickle back down inside the bag into the soil so reducing water loss.
    The moisture content can be carefully monitored visually and by a light squeeze of the bag, if it feels turgid (slightly soft) then the soil inside is in perfect condition.
    The grower treats the bag like a baby, checking early morning and evening to see if water is required as only the minimum amount of water is used (if water drips from the two holes – stop watering – the drips can be caught in a pan and returned to the top of the bag i.e. no waste water – no ‘run-off’
    The bag can be hung in semi shade (under the eaves of a building or under the canopy of trees) where a cool environment exists whilst the plant can reach out and be supported in the warmth of bright sunlight. The soil/compost can be examined for ground borne bugs – weevils, slugs etc before being hung up. Bags can be hung one above the other to maximise yield in a given space.
    Where farm yard animal’s donkeys, goats, sheep and chickens cause problems by eating the young plants – the bags can be held above their reach. The advantages stacked up like points in a tennis match. By day three the re- vamped completely free grow bag was ready to be introduced to the Kenyon rural community.
    Our team of six members including four Rotarians set of to make presentation in the outlying villages. The response is now history one hundred and forty two ‘trainers’ received making and growing instructions which, they will pass on to another group of trainers.
    The ‘hanging’ concept was instantly seen as a way forward, the reaction from the trainers was wonderful, with searching questions asked and problems solved on the spot by local growers’ knowledge.
    At the debriefing session at the end of the trip, it was decided that simple ideas are the best and most enduring. David Acton the team spokesman said ‘what idea could be simpler and more environmentally friendly’ He would now like to involve interested growers, both amateur and professional in the UK particularly in ‘urban farm’ situations, to try the growing method and ‘feed back’ their comments. Suitable vegetables are tomatoes, peas, beans, courgettes, peppers, cucumbers and strawberries. (see jpeg image 1212)
    The ‘above ground’ concept lends itself to the ‘grow your own’ trend and the austere situation we find ourselves in, it may also prove of value in the emerging “Big Society”

Past President David Acton.
    http://www.rotaryrochdale.co.uk/vertical-growbag-scheme-and-field-trip-to-kenya

silver*
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:05 pm

silver* wrote:

silver*

Now that's really cool silver*

Love from me
    mudra

heres a link to this guys site http://www.verticalveg.xylene.com/?page_id=1318
    silver*
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm

silver* wrote:
    heres a link to this guys site http://www.verticalveg.xylene.com/?page_id=1318
    silver*

Thanks Silver*
    I am impressed .

Hugs

Love for you
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Brook wrote:This is really inventive Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 83084

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Thumbnail.aspx?q=1015645682402&id=32b9279735aa5a18f0730751b1a9323f&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.instructables.com%2fimage%2fFVZ4VCTFW5GYH2M%2fVERTICAL-VEGETABLES-Grow-up-in-a-small-garden-a

nice
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:28 pm

heres a link on how to make that pallet planter for anyone interested
    Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 03251112
    http://lifeonthebalcony.com/how-to-turn-a-pallet-into-a-garden/
    silver*
    ClearWater
    ClearWater

Post  ClearWater Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:16 pm

lindabaker wrote:I want to plan a garden for about twenty active gardeners. I want to draw out a plot that is circular, with fruit trees on the perimeter. Inside, there will be individual plots. Does anybody have any garden plot plans with a circular layout? I need to do a presentation to a corporate entity so it will have to be a first class presentation or it will get ignored. In order to get a three or four acre plot grant (out of tens of thousands of acres) and garden water rights for my forest community, it will only take a little bit of effort to do it well. This will assure this corporation that they will be getting beautification in return for their bit of land and water. Links, anyone? Looks like I must spearhead a project here. Thank you in advance for any assistance. Linda
    This is not exactly a garden plot, but...
    http://www.ascendpress.org/community/plants&trees/AscendingGarden.htm
    Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Image003Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Image005
    ClearWater
    ClearWater

Post  ClearWater Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:30 pm

I was finally able to get everything planted a few weeks ago. Planted a small little plot, but it's more than enough for 1 person.
    Cucumbers, broccoli, radishes, carrots, lettuce, peas, and watermelon...oh my! Everything has sprouted except the carrots. The peas are growing sooo fast.

Like Lionhawk, I tend to talk to the plants. Actually, I whisper...like I'm talking to a sleeping baby. I don't know why...it just feels right.
    I not only talk to the individual plants, but I talk to the garden as a whole...as if it is a complete entity. I keep telling her how much I love her and how beautiful she is. What can I say...I'm a flirt. Hugs

Can't wait until I get some home grown food...
    lindabaker
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:23 pm

These are all really good ideas, thanks. Linda
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:26 pm

ClearWater wrote:I was finally able to get everything planted a few weeks ago. Planted a small little plot, but it's more than enough for 1 person.
    Cucumbers, broccoli, radishes, carrots, lettuce, peas, and watermelon...oh my! Everything has sprouted except the carrots. The peas are growing sooo fast.

Like Lionhawk, I tend to talk to the plants. Actually, I whisper...like I'm talking to a sleeping baby. I don't know why...it just feels right.
    I not only talk to the individual plants, but I talk to the garden as a whole...as if it is a complete entity. I keep telling her how much I love her and how beautiful she is. What can I say...I'm a flirt. Hugs

Can't wait until I get some home grown food...

Lovely to see you ClearWater cheers
    I have been missing you .
    Great to hear the good news with your garden .
    I remember you have been planting last year too .
    I am much in telepathic communication with the plants.
    We rarely exchange spoken words but there is a lot going on through the Heart.
    They teach me how to attend them and allow me to learn .

Hugs

Love for You
    mudar
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:13 am

ClearWater wrote:, I tend to talk to the plants. Actually, I whisper...like I'm talking to a sleeping baby. I don't know why...it just feels right.

You old romantic...
    I sing to mine...they think im bloody awful.
    Good luck withe everything.
    ClearWater
    ClearWater

Post  ClearWater Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:40 pm

Floyd wrote:I sing to mine...they think im bloody awful.
    Good luck withe everything.
    Thanks, and good luck to you as well. Toast
    Luckily for you, it's not the quality of the sound that matters, but the spirit/intent behind it.
    I'm sure the plants LOVE your singing.

Mudra, lovely to see you also. Flowers
    I feel that we are in telepathic communication with everything, including each other.
    As you suggest, often when communicating with plants, no words are necessary at all.
    Perhaps the plants are just better listeners, and perhaps we are more open to communicating with plants than we are with each other.
    It seems to me that what is necessary for this type of communication is not the following of any step by step procedure, but simply an open heart.
    Maybe this is the training grounds for communicating in this way on a much wider scale...
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Today...the fruits of our labor

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 719788

Shared some others with our neighbors...their coming in fast Shocked

Tomorrow I have to buy a pressure cooker and learn to can fast!
    Thanks Carol for the tips Wink

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Photo49g
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Fleurdecourgette3c

Stuffed Zucchini Flowers
    (For 2 people as a main course, 4 as an appetizer)

You need:

8 zucchini flowers
    1 small green zucchini
    1/2 small Italian eggplant
    1/2 yellow onion
    1/2 red pepper
    1 inch fresh ginger root
    2 garlic cloves
    11 oz cherry tomatoes
    Salt and pepper
    Olive oil
    6 to 7 sage leaves, chopped
    1 Tbsp tarragon, chopped
    1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
    3/4 to 1 cup ricotta
    Steps:

Make a cross on each tomato with a knife and boil them for 30s.
    Rinse them under cold water, peel them and remove the seeds. Dice them roughly, to the size of brunoise vegetables. Keep them on the side.
    Chop the onion, garlic and ginger thinly.
    Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a sautée pan and cook for 4 mns, until softer.
    Dice the eggplant, pepper and zucchini (brunoise again). Add the vegetables to the pan in this order: eggplant, pepper and then zucchini. Cook 2 to 3 mns for each added vegetable.
    Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 to 15 mns, on low heat, uncovered. Season with salt and pepper. About 1 mn before the end, add the chopped herbs. Remove from the heat.
    Mix the ricotta with the cooked vegetables. (Make sure the stuffing is nor too liquidy, nor too thick. If you want, you can also add one beaten egg.)
    Remove the stamen inside the flowers carefully and stuff each flower with the ricotta/vegetable preparation.
    Place the flowers in an oven dish and season with salt and pepper.
    Add a splash of olive oil and place in a preheated oven at 400 F, for 20 mns.

Bon appétit Cheerful

Love from me
    mudra

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Brook wrote:Today...the fruits of our labor

Congratulations Brook and LionHawk
    Thubs Up Thubs Up Thubs Up

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:22 pm

ClearWater wrote:

It seems to me that what is necessary for this type of communication is not the following of any step by step procedure, but simply an open heart.
    Maybe this is the training grounds for communicating in this way on a much wider scale...

I agree with you Clearwater. Open Heart is the short cut to peace .

The Karen

Love for You
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:43 am

Brook wrote:
    Today...the fruits of our labor

Shared some others with our neighbors...their coming in fast Shocked

Tomorrow I have to buy a pressure cooker and learn to can fast!
    Thanks Carol for the tips Wink

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Photo49g

An epic moment in the history of the courgette

Monumental
    Floyd
    Floyd

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Empty Cauliflowers

Post  Floyd Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:09 am

These things I rescued at 35p for 9 from the garden centre when they were tiny and neglected and would have ended up as compost. They have since grown pretty heavily so I put them in this green plastic container.
    Will have to thin em out though as they take up a lot of space

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Caulif10
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:04 am

Not sure if this is still uptodate ...goes back to november 2010.

7 Towns Where Land is Free

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40220738/?slide=1

As small towns suffer from a continuing flight from rural toward-more urban living, some economic development groups and governments in these troubled areas have chosen to stay and fight.

The Homestead Act of 1862 is no longer in effect, but free land is still available out there in the great wide open (often literally in the great wide open). In fact, the town of Beatrice, Nebraska has even enacted a Homestead Act of 2010 .

As with the homesteaders of the 1800s, the new pioneers must not be the faint of heart—they can’t be the type to shy away from the trials of building a home from the ground up, or the lack of Starbucks on every corner, or unpaved roads (extremely remote location and lack of infrastructure is probably what caused a well-publicized land giveaway in Anderson ,AK to flop). If the Google Maps overhead view of the vast open space surrounding the modest street grids of these towns doesn’t instill cabin fever, then read on—these parcels are up for land grabs.

By Colleen Kane
    Posted 17 Nov 2010

Love Always
    mudra
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Okay....we have been pricing the various markets in the area...and weighed our squash, because they sell it by the pound.

According the weight of what we have picked so far...and the going rate per pound...we have picked $52.00 worth of squash....and there is plenty more coming up. cheers

Later next week, I'm getting a pressure cooker and some canning jars and going to start learning to can.
    I think someone needs to film that...it should be priceless....LOL
    geek (hope I don't blow up the kitchen scratch )
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:35 pm

New veggies coming in

cucumbers

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Photo51p

Butternut Squash

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 5 Photo50hx
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Great Brook cheers

Healthy Reasons to love those cucumbers!

-Composed of mostly water, low in calories and packed with nutrients. The cucumbers high water content helps keep the body hydrated, regulates body temperature, rids the body of excess fluids and cleanses the body of harmful wastes and toxins.

-Helps eliminate uric acid so it is good for those who have arthritis.

-Excellent source of potassium, vitamin c and folic acid.

-When placed on burns (sunburns too), itchy skin, swollen and tired eyes it can relieve these symptoms as well as dark circles.

-Relieves heartburn and soothes stomach acid or for those suffering from gastritis or ulcers.

-Improves blood circulation and helps relax nerves and muscles.

-Cucumber juice can be used as a soothing skin lotion.

-Skin of cucumbers are rich in fiber, potassium and magnesium.

So besides being delicious, cucumbers offer up a host of wonderful health benefits! Make sure when buying cucumbers that they are dark green as this is an indication it is fresh. I also try to go organic on cucumbers since many cucumbers found in grocery stores are waxed to protect them during shipping.

Love Always
    mudra

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:52 am