tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

Study: Flu vaccine only 9 pct. effective for elderly

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Study: Flu vaccine only 9 pct. effective for elderly Empty Study: Flu vaccine only 9 pct. effective for elderly

Post  Carol Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Study: Flu vaccine only 9 pct. effective for elderly 20130124_flu-shut_39
    Study: Flu vaccine only 9 pct. effective for elderly
    http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2013/02/21/health/flu-shot-efficacy
    by Elizabeth Dunbar, Minnesota Public Radio
    February 21, 2013 - PAUL, Minn. — New data released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that many older adults become sick with the flu despite being vaccinated. The CDC data looked at outpatient clinic visits and found that the flu vaccine was only 9 percent effective in people 65 and older who came down with the A strain of the virus, which is also known as H3N2. That strain has caused hundreds of hospitalizations in Minnesota this season. Minnesota Department of Health epidemiologist Dr. Ruth Lynfield said the data show there's room for improvement. "It's important that people work on better vaccines, particularly for those people who are at highest risk for severe influenza so that they can be protected better," Lynfield said. Lynfield said the study doesn't change the agency's recommendation that people get vaccinated.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Jenetta
    Jenetta

Study: Flu vaccine only 9 pct. effective for elderly Empty Re: Study Flu Vaccine Only 9% Effective For Elderly

Post  Jenetta Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Not surprised by that Carol with elderly relatives getting sick after having had the flu vaccine...its very virulent this year and completely different from what I've experienced before since I got it too and didn't have the flu vaccine.

This type of flu can hit a person in various ways...hangs around for a long time with relapses evident in each individual depending on their immunity defenses. Don't remember where I heard the rumour that you can get the flu from being around those who have been vaccinated even though you haven't been vaccinated yourself. And believe me its a beggar! Don't know why I always think of that scumbag Craig Venter when something like this pops up...

Recent report has shown up in China where they are querying bird flu human to human transmission now as these women didn't pick it up from poultry or birds.

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/has-it-finally-happened-bird-flu-death-in-china-sparks-fear-of-human-transmitted-h5n1-strain/

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:32 pm