tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+27
B.B.Baghor
bobhardee
monique
oliverclay
Carol
Sanicle
Purified Soul
Beren
HigherLove
alchemikey
Oliver
B.B. Baghor
Mercuriel
DiVineEnvy
eMonkey
rhythm
lindabaker
Jenetta
Floyd
newel
devakas
hippihillbobbi
Nebula
rosie
pedro m
ClearWater
mudra
31 posters

Food for Soul

mudra
    mudra

Food for Soul - Page 11 Empty Re: Food for Soul

Post  mudra Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 am

Jason deCaires Taylor Interview with Miranda Krestovnikoff on The Underwater Channel TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcAAdIzsXZI&feature=related

Love Always
    mudra
    B.B. Baghor
    B.B. Baghor

Food for Soul - Page 11 Empty Gare du Nord "I'm not a woman, I'm not a man"

Post  B.B. Baghor Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:09 pm

Here's a beautiful video and song... a request "Take me for what I am" an original approach of identity :)for in the end it matters not how we're physically shaped, as we are spiritual beings in a human body.
    Be in grace,Victoria Tintagel.

Gare du Nord: I'm not a woman I'm not a man
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Thank you Broombroom for the Light you are bringing to my thread.

Flowers

Love for you
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:58 am

Food for Soul - Page 11 Standingcute

Drenched in Rain, Woman & Husband Rescue INVISIBLE Dog

On a busy street I noticed an old, battered dog wandering slowly up and down, looking dazed. I parked and tried to give him some food, but each time I got close he would give a little yelp and run off. I could see that in better days he might have looked like a fox terrier mix, and figured he had either been abandoned by his family or stolen.

Eventually I ran out of time and gave up, called the shelter and asked them to pick him up, giving precise instructions as to the street and location. They didn’t, and I saw him again the following day, where to my great frustration we repeated the same pattern.

In the pouring rain, we saw him drinking from a puddle

Two nights later my husband and I had been visiting some friends, and on the way back, in pouring rain, we travelled the same route, and I saw this poor creature drinking from a puddle in the road. He knew the story and I begged him to let me try once more, so out I leaped, and there began a sort of dance between the two of us.

I would approach - he would yelp and run away. He crossed the road - so did I. He ran into a football field - I followed. He crossed the road again, weaving in between the traffic – so did I. My poor husband kept having to stop the car, turn around and go in the other direction and I knew he was getting impatient, and that soon I would have to admit defeat.

Then a strange thing happened. The dog was in the process of scurrying away again, when I noticed him suddenly stop, as if he was thinking about it. Then he turned, slowly walked back to me, and sat at my feet. I bent to hug him, picked him up and he rode home on my lap. He was painfully thin and terribly weak, and whereas my intention had been to take him to the shelter in the morning, my macho husband surprisingly said – No, he’ll die in a cage, let’s fatten him up and find a home for him. Famous last words.

Bones meets the rest of the family ... great photos!

It had been so long since he had food that I could only offer him small amounts at a time; his system simply couldn’t cope with it. When I gave him a bath and had a good look at him, I discovered that he wasn’t old, but fairly young by the looks of his teeth, and the tufts of hair on his body weren’t grey but white.

He submitted meekly to the shower and the soapy water, and seemed to relish the touch of a friendly hand. He had been wearing a heavy collar that was inches and inches too big for him, a sure sign of how long he had been on the road. That went in the garbage and he was glad to be free of the weight.

He was fine with the little dogs inside, but we were afraid to put him outside with the big ones, because he was so frail. However, after a few days he started whining at the side gate to get to them, and when we eventually let him go through, he was thrilled to be with them, and after an initial scuffle with my other male Toby, he was accepted as their friend. See BEFORE & AFTER photos.

He has become our fiercest and most loyal defender

A few people came to look, prospective owners, and I found myself making excuses every time, till I realized I had no intention of letting him go. We called him Bones, because that’s all there was of him at the beginning, but he soon began to thrive. He put on weight, and his fur, little by little, grew and showed orange flecks. Even his tail which had initially looked more like a length of old rope, became thick and powerful with time. We are currently considering changing his name from Bones to Barrell!!

The most remarkable thing about Bones though is that he has become our fiercest and most loyal defender. Little as he is, and innocent as he looks, he turns into a tiger at the front gate, and will bite anyone other than my husband, our housekeeper and me; with us he is dreamy and affectionate.

It has gotten to the point that now, nearly 3 years later, we still have to lock him up when friends come, even though they may be dog lovers. Some of them get upset and we have to apologise and explain that he just has this compulsion to protect us. He adores our other dogs (all 6 of them) and loves to play with them and groom them, although sometimes he annoys the heck out of them.

Needless to say, I bless the day he decided to drink out of that particular puddle.

Love Always
    mudra

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:40 am

SMILES FROM OFF THE ROAD

Walk away from any road in India for a day or so, and you will find people who are still untouched by Western values. people who seem to love life; who still have the humanity to welcome strangers; who still have time to smile.
    Western society seems to be in a crisis of greed, crime, alcohol and drug abuse, obesity and depression.
    Perhaps we have something to learn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULRqtmLhTy8&feature=channel_video_title

SMILES FROM OFF THE ROAD 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-m6x6V4FAs&feature=relmfu

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:08 pm

Oliver
    Oliver

Post  Oliver Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:46 am

Mudra,
    Didn't know where to post this.
    It is a kind of food for soul.

They obviously have a great debate about current world issues
    Lmfao

http://on.net.mk/video/zabava/golemata-debata
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 pm

Deaf Puppy Dumped By Breeder Now Learning Sign Language

At just eight weeks old, Alice, a springer spaniel, was dumped by a breeder because of one little "flaw" -- Alice is deaf.

Luckily for this sweet pup, one couple was able to see Alice's value where the breeder couldn't. Alice was adopted from animal charity The Blue Cross by Marie Williams and Mark Morgan, who are deaf themselves.

Now Marie, Mark and their three sons (who are able to hear) are teaching little Alice sign language commands, including commands for sit, come and roll over.

As reported by the UK's Daily Mail, Marie says, "She was so beautiful and the fact that she was deaf just made us fall in love with her even more -- we knew that she would fit right into our family. When we went to visit her at the centre I had tears in my eyes because she was so cute and we bonded straight away."

When Alice was abandoned by her breeder -- who figured a deaf dog wouldn't make him any money -- she was dirty, sick and nervous.

Marie says, "I felt so angry that someone abandoned her because in their eyes she was not 'perfect.' It goes to show that with a little effort it is easy to cope with a deaf puppy -- she has already learned the signs for several basic commands.

Julie Stone, manager of The Blue Cross animal adoption centre, is also impressed with how well Alice has adjusted to life with her new family and the strides she's making with her special training: "Alice is such a loving and responsive dog and she proves that with a bit of time and effort, a deaf dog can be trained and become a wonderful pet."

Alice found her angels -- a family that had the wisdom and compassion to look past a so-called flaw that a breeder found so unlovable he dumped the pup like garbage. I wonder: how many dogs with a "defect" or "flaw" like Alice never find homes? So many people look for a dog (or any pet) based on their breed or their color, and they try to find a "flawless" or "pure" animal.

Alice and her family prove that handi-capable animals can make just as wonderful companions as "perfect" ones, and as long as we're able to care for them, we shouldn't be afraid to open our hearts to animals in need.

Love Always
    mudra
    alchemikey
    alchemikey

Post  alchemikey Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:22 am

enlightening thread from another forum:

https://www.dmt-nexus.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=19272

peace,
    mikey
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:22 am

Cuties

Food for Soul - Page 11 Ottermom

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:25 pm

DVD Excerpt: Working with Nature in Soil-less Gardens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhsf3S7Zalo&feature=channel_video_title

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:55 pm

A genius says goodbye. Mr Gabriel García Marquez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AOh8L2AP0s&feature=related

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Food for Soul - Page 11 Watch?v=lyvpJtq2qk8&p=BA3C01FCB02125D0

Tortuga - The Incredible Trip of the Sea Turtle-001

Arrowhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyvpJtq2qk8&p=BA3C01FCB02125D0

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:21 pm

Everybody Counts, Including YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq44ROAgBnU&feature=watch_response

Everybody Counts, Including YOU!part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da6Nk87W8VY&feature=related

Love Always
    mudra
    B.B. Baghor
    B.B. Baghor

Food for Soul - Page 11 Empty The state of Ease by Doc Childre, founder of HeartMath

Post  B.B. Baghor Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Hey Mudra, thanks very much, for the beautiful and lovely videos here, specially the "Becoming unstoppable" video! Something that relates to the energy of it is the document "The state of ease" by Doc Childre. The art of inner peace, be in grace, Victoria Tintagel
    [img http://www.heartmath.org/images/stories/content/categories/people/doc_childre_02.jpg[/img]

HeartMath founder Doc Childre is a global authority on reducing stress, building resilience and optimizing personal effectiveness. He is the originator of the HeartMath® System, which entails practical, heart-based tools and technologies that people of all ages and walks of life can use to enhance health, performance and well-being. The HeartMath System is widely used by Fortune 500 companies, the military, hospitals, clinics, schools and thousands of adults and children.

In 1991, Childre founded the nonprofit Institute of HeartMath (IHM), a research and education organization. IHM’s organizational, educational and clinical research on emotional physiology and self-regulation has been published in peer-reviewed scientific journals and presented at many scientific conferences worldwide.

He is chairman of the IHM Scientific Advisory Board and HeartMath LLC, chairman and co-CEO of Quantum Intech Inc., and a consultant to business leaders, scientists, educators and the entertainment industry through his firm, Top-Down Consulting. He has written a dozen books, including The HeartMath Solution, From Chaos to Coherence, The HeartMath Approach to Managing Hypertension and the Transforming series of books: Transforming Anger, Transforming Stress, Transforming Anxiety and Transforming Depression. Doc Childre created the award-winning emWave® heart-rhythm coherence feedback technologies and Stopping Emotional Eating: the emWave Stress and Weight Management Program.

Childre’s work with HeartMath has been featured on the NBC Today Show, ABC World News Tonight, CBS’ The Early Show, CNN’s Headline News, Discover.com, ARS Technica, MacWorld, Information Week, The Daily Beast, Harvard Business Review, Business 2.0, Prevention magazine, Psychology Today, Golf magazine, PGA.com, Cosmopolitan, Self, Men’s Fitness, Men’s Health, The Washington Post, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and many other publications and media around the world. Doc Childre also co-authors a blog with Deborah Rozman, Ph.D., for the Living section of the Huffington Post.

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Broombroom wrote:Hey Mudra, thanks very much, for the beautiful and lovely videos here, specially the "Becoming unstoppable" video! Something that relates to the energy of it is the document "The state of ease" by Doc Childre. The art of inner peace, be in grace, Victoria Tintagel
    [img http://www.heartmath.org/images/stories/content/categories/people/doc_childre_02.jpg[/img]

Thank you Victoria .
    With an open Heart we embrace life and it becomes a flow .
    When Heart closes the world turns into chaos.
    The state of ease is a gentle reminder that we do have the
    ability to be in peace no matter the outside circumstances.

Love from me
    mudra

ClearWater
    ClearWater

Post  ClearWater Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:54 pm

B.B. Baghor
    B.B. Baghor

Food for Soul - Page 11 Empty Laughing and acknowledging being stuck on issues, anyone leaving home and income?

Post  B.B. Baghor Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:13 am

Hey Clearwater, your elephant makes me laugh so much and now this video post of yours is so wonderful and perfectly timed, well chosen, thanks! It's an Eastern energy that is totally refreshing. For me, the old guilt/shame paradigm of this religious Christdrama, Christ having died for our sins, is so "out of order."

This video shows the simplicity of being in pure presence, like the amazing transformation in the man with the microphone (a technical device hilariously out of synch with the vibes) laughing, only laughing and in a state of High.

The seriousness of our mind, formulations and statements, brought me big belly laughs and tears, this morning, both at the same time.

I can and could feel it, while watching, ideas and issues I hold onto, digesting over and over again, circling around them in almost endless points of view, trying to make pure chocolate of them. I can feel and see that it's my own doing, placing bars around me and build a prison called "Welcome all who love being stuck" Never really solving anything, only repeating going through emotions. Like scratching at a patch of healing skin, sometimes repeating the pain and itching. I can acknowledge the potential in me, to change and choose my creations in life. It's dawning for quite some time now, but I can feel the acceleration of the truth of that. I can feel the amazement of that realisation. I can feel what Nelson Mandela means in his inauguration speech "Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

How I love trust, relaxation and joy, to just be and giggle with friends.
    That's the best thing to celebrate Eastern, the coming 2 days, for me.
    And what about after that? Ha ha.....
    I begin to feel a longing for leaving behind the old forms of my life, home and job, posessions and money, outside things and inside beliefsystems and ruts, that slow me down or are obstacles in my evolution.

Is any of you Avaloneans, experiencing something like that too?
    I am beginning to meet people who live without a home, money, posessions, attachments. Some of them are in synchronicity, in flow. They are of service in a natural way. In turn they receive meals and a bed, or other treats. Without obligations or expectations. That's what I begin to feel happening in my own life: an unfolding of events, like a fruition of my work in this lifetime.
    It's time to enjoy and relax. Be happy for no reason. Joy, to me, is the magic wand of spirit. I wish you all a happy Eastern, with lots of smiles and giggles.
    Namaste Clearwater :) Be in grace, Victoria Tintagel.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:31 am

ClearWater wrote:[center]Laughing Buddha(s)2

Thanks for posting this one ClearWater.
    I absolutely love Moji cheers
    This particular video is a jewel .

Hugs

Love from me
    mudra
    ClearWater
    ClearWater

Post  ClearWater Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:02 am

Broombroom wrote:Hey Clearwater, your elephant makes me laugh so much and now this video post of yours is so wonderful and perfectly timed, well chosen, thanks!
    I love the playful elephant. It puts a smile on my face.
    I'm glad that you and mudra enjoyed the video. It took my breath away and left a bit of pain in my side due to excessive laughter. Lmao

Broombroom wrote:Is any of you Avaloneans, experiencing something like that too?
    Oh yes. Absolutely!
    There have been times when I felt like I should do this, or I should stop doing that. This was an inner urge, but was also affected by my beliefs about what a spiritual person 'should' do. The 'should' has fallen away. What is happening as a result is the continuing presence of some things that I thought 'should' be dropped, and the feeling of not needing to do some things that I previously thought I 'should' be doing.
    It all feels very natural. There is a feeling of trust. I am interested to see how life continues to unfold.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:04 am

Broombroom wrote:.
    I begin to feel a longing for leaving behind the old forms of my life, home and job, posessions and money, outside things and inside beliefsystems and ruts, that slow me down or are obstacles in my evolution.

Is any of you Avaloneans, experiencing something like that too?
    I am beginning to meet people who live without a home, money, posessions, attachments. Some of them are in synchronicity, in flow. They are of service in a natural way. In turn they receive meals and a bed, or other treats. Without obligations or expectations. That's what I begin to feel happening in my own life: an unfolding of events, like a fruition of my work in this lifetime.
    It's time to enjoy and relax. Be happy for no reason. Joy, to me, is the magic wand of spirit. I wish you all a happy Eastern, with lots of smiles and giggles.
    Namaste Clearwater :) Be in grace, Victoria Tintagel.

Over the years I had to let go of many things : relatives , friends , possessions, dreams I had, ideas ... Life either dismantled them or took them away from me . It has been a long process of learning detachement and finding joy within rather than without . It's all about changes . Things come and go. Finally no matter what the situation may be Love is the everlasting foutain that carries you through the changes and makes the present moment a source of peace and balance. Now is Love Always.

Love for You and happy Easter to you too Victoria.

mudra

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:05 am

Heartwarming side of Egyption Revolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUQZXz2C_Q4&feature=related

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Warrior Baboons Give Peace a Chance
    Born violent? A troop of baboons chooses an enduring culture of peace.

by Robert M. Sapolsky
    posted Apr 08, 2011

Food for Soul - Page 11 Image_large

The evolutionary biologist Theodosius Dobzhansky once said, “All species are unique, but humans are uniquest.” Humans have long taken pride in their specialness. But the study of other primates is rendering the concept of such human exceptionalism increasingly suspect.

We now know, for example, that other species invent tools and use them with dexterity and local cultural variation. Other primates display “semanticity” (the use of symbols to refer to objects and actions) in their communication in ways that would impress any linguist.

Our purported uniqueness has been challenged most, however, with regard to our social life. Like the occasional human hermit, there are a few primates that are typically asocial (such as the orangutan). Apart from those, however, it turns out that one cannot understand a primate in isolation from its social group. Humans are just another primate with an intense and rich social life—a fact that raises the question of whether primatology can teach us something about a rather important part of human sociality, war and peace.

Baboons are exceptional subjects for studying social stress, behavioral scientist Robert Sapolsky says, because they usually live in large, complex groups with plenty of food and few predators. They therefore devote minimal time to surviving and have ample free time to make life miserable for each other.

It used to be thought that humans were the only savagely violent primate. That view fell by the wayside in the 1960s as it became clear that some other primates kill their fellows aplenty. Males kill; females kill. Some kill one another’s infants with cold-blooded stratagems worthy of Richard III. Some use their toolmaking skills to fashion bigger and better cudgels. Some other primates even engage in what can only be called warfare—organized, proactive group violence directed at other populations.

As field studies of primates expanded, what became most striking was the variation in social practices across species. Yes, some primate species have lives filled with violence, frequent and varied. But life among others is filled with communitarianism, egalitarianism, and cooperative child-rearing.

The most disquieting fact about the violent species was the apparent inevitability of their behavior. Certain species seemed simply to be the way they were, fixed products of the interplay of evolution and ecology, and that was that.

After decades more work, the picture has become quite interesting. Some primate species, it turns out, are indeed simply violent or peaceful, with their behavior driven by their social structures and ecological settings. More important, however, some primate species can make peace despite violent traits that seem built into their natures.
    Pax Bonobo

Primatology has long been dominated by studies of the chimpanzee, due in large part to the phenomenally influential research of Jane Goodall. National Geographic specials based on Goodall’s work would always include the reminder that chimps are our closest relatives. Goodall and other chimp researchers have carefully documented an endless stream of murders, cannibalism, and organized group violence among their subjects.

But all along there has been another chimp species, one traditionally ignored because of its small numbers; its habitat in remote, impenetrable rain forests; and the fact that its early chroniclers published in Japanese. These skinny little creatures were originally called “pygmy chimps” and were thought of as uninteresting, some sort of regressed subspecies of the real thing. Now known as bonobos, they are recognized as a separate and distinct species that taxonomically and genetically is just as closely related to humans as the standard chimp. And boy, is this ever a different ape.
    Primate species with some of the most aggressive and stratified social systems have been seen to cooperate and resolve conflicts—but not consistently ...

Male bonobos are not particularly aggressive and lack the massive musculature typical of species that engage in a lot of fighting (such as the standard chimp). Moreover, the bonobo social system is female-dominated, food is often shared, and there are well-developed means for reconciling social tensions. And then there is the sex.

Bonobo sex is the prurient highlight of primatology conferences, and leads parents to shield their children’s eyes when watching nature films. Bonobos have sex in every conceivable position and some seemingly inconceivable ones, in pairs and groups, between genders and within genders, to greet each other and to resolve conflicts, to work off steam after a predator scare, to celebrate finding food or to cajole its sharing, or just because. As the sound bite has it, chimps are from Mars, and bonobos are from Venus.

The trouble is, while we have a pretty good sense of what bonobos are like, we have little insight into how they got that way. Furthermore, this is basically what all bonobos seem to be like—a classic case of in-their-nature-ness. So—a wondrous species (and one, predictably, teetering on the edge of extinction). But besides being useful for taking the wind out of we-be-chimps fatalists, the bonobo has little to say to us. We are not bonobos and never can be.
    Warriors, Come Out To Play

What can we learn from our similarities and differences in relation to other animals?

In contrast to the social life of bonobos, the social life of chimps is not pretty. Nor is that of rhesus monkeys, nor savanna baboons—a species found in groups of 50 to 100 in the African grasslands and one I have studied for close to 30 years. Hierarchies among baboons are strict, as are their consequences. Among males, high rank is typically achieved by a series of successful violent challenges. Most males die of the consequences of violence, and roughly half of their aggression is directed at third parties (some high-ranking male in a bad mood takes it out on an innocent bystander, such as a female or a subordinate male).

Primate species with some of the most aggressive and stratified social systems have been seen to cooperate and resolve conflicts—but not consistently, not necessarily for benign purposes, and not in a cumulative way that could lead to some fundamentally non-Hobbesian social outcomes. The lesson appears to be not that violent primates can transcend their natures, but merely that the natures of these species are subtler and more multifaceted than previously thought. At least that was the lesson until quite recently.

Left Behind

In the early 1980s, “Forest Troop,” a group of savanna baboons I had been studying—virtually living with—for years, was going about its business in a national park in Kenya when a neighboring baboon group had a stroke of luck. Its territory encompassed a tourist lodge that expanded its operations and, consequently, the amount of food tossed into its garbage dump. Baboons are omnivorous, and “Garbage Dump Troop” was delighted to feast on leftover drumsticks, half-eaten hamburgers, remnants of chocolate cake, and anything else that wound up there. The development produced nearly as dramatic a shift in the social behavior of Forest Troop. Each morning, approximately half of its adult males would infiltrate Garbage Dump Troop’s territory, descending on the pit in time for the day’s dumping and battling the resident males for access to the garbage. The Forest Troop males that did this shared two traits: they were particularly combative (which was necessary to get the food away from the other baboons), and they were not very interested in socializing (the raids took place early in the morning, during the hours when the bulk of a savanna baboon’s daily communal grooming occurs).

Soon afterward, tuberculosis, a disease that moves with devastating speed and severity in nonhuman primates, broke out in Garbage Dump Troop. Over the next year, most of its members died, as did all of the males from Forest Troop who had foraged at the dump. The results were that Forest Troop was left with males who were less aggressive and more social than average, and the troop now had double its previous female-to-male ratio.
    Within a few years, members of the species demonstrated enough behavioral plasticity to transform a society of theirs into a baboon utopia.

The social consequences of these changes were dramatic. There remained a hierarchy among the Forest Troop males, but it was far looser than before. Aggression was less frequent, particularly against third parties. And rates of affiliative behaviors, such as males and females grooming each other or sitting together, soared. There were even instances, now and then, of adult males grooming each other—a behavior nearly as unprecedented as baboons sprouting wings.

This unique social milieu did not arise merely as a function of the skewed sex ratio. Other primatologists have occasionally reported on troops with similar ratios but without a comparable social atmosphere. What was key was not just the predominance of females, but the type of male that remained. The demographic disaster—what evolutionary biologists term a “selective bottleneck”—had produced a savanna baboon troop quite different from what most experts would have anticipated.

But the largest surprise did not come until some years later. Female savanna baboons spend their lives in the troop into which they are born, whereas males leave their birth troop around puberty; a troop’s adult males have thus all grown up elsewhere and immigrated as adolescents. By the early 1990s, none of the original low aggression/high affiliation males of Forest Troop’s tuberculosis period was still alive; all of the group’s adult males had joined after the epidemic. Despite this, the troop’s unique social milieu persisted—as it does to this day, some 20 years after the selective bottleneck. As defined by both anthropologists and animal behaviorists, “culture” consists of local behavioral variations, occurring for nongenetic and nonecological reasons, that last beyond the time of their originators. Forest Troop’s low aggression/high affiliation society constitutes nothing less than a multigenerational benign culture.
    Natural Born Killers?

Are there any lessons to be learned here that can be applied to human-on-human violence—apart, that is, from the possible desirability of giving fatal cases of tuberculosis to aggressive people?

In the early 1960s, a rising star of primatology, Irven DeVore, of Harvard University, published the first general overview of the subject. Discussing his own specialty, savanna baboons, he wrote that they “have acquired an aggressive temperament as a defense against predators, and aggressiveness cannot be turned on and off like a faucet. It is an integral part of the monkeys’ personalities, so deeply rooted that it makes them potential aggressors in every situation.” Thus the savanna baboon became, literally, a textbook example of life in an aggressive, highly stratified, male-dominated society. Yet within a few years, members of the species demonstrated enough behavioral plasticity to transform a society of theirs into a baboon utopia.

The first half of the twentieth century was drenched in the blood spilled by German and Japanese aggression, yet only a few decades later it is hard to think of two countries more pacific. Sweden spent the 17th century rampaging through Europe, yet it is now an icon of nurturing tranquility. Humans have invented the small, nomadic band and the continental megastate and have demonstrated a flexibility whereby uprooted descendants of the former can function effectively in the latter. We lack the type of physiology or anatomy that in other mammals determine their mating system, and have come up with societies based on monogamy, polygyny, and polyandry. And we have fashioned some religions in which violent acts are the entrée to paradise and other religions in which the same acts consign one to hell. Is a world of peacefully coexisting human Forest Troops possible? Anyone who says, “No, it is beyond our nature,” knows too little about primates, including ourselves.

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:13 am