tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

5 posters

Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book!

Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book! Empty Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book!

Post  Vidya Moksha Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Hey Folk.

Did you ever take a peek at my hatha yoga notes somewhere down in the bowels of the mists below this note..

well those notes have been expanded to include all aspects of ashtanga yoga, and my experiences of advaita - samadhi. Plus some general background.. Basically the book I was looking for when I first started my yoga journey..

Anyway, I am not selling the book (yet Heh heh that will come later) but I do have to work out how to sell it. I have created the book, its with blurb now and I have 2 weeks before the book arrives for me to proof read.

then the hard part, or not.. selling and marketing.

Do people buy real books anymore? what would you pay for one? Is price so important for a book that interests you? Im guessing it will be on sale for $16-23 US .. plus shipping costs.. Would you want an e-book? I dont use them, unless i want a free copy of something or a quick look.. but they seem quite trendy these days.. It seems people are a tad reluctant to part with cash for books, when they are cheaper than a meal out in a restaurant, and will pay for yoga classes but not books... am I right?

Hope you dont mind me asking, I dont get out much and you folk are the only real contact I have with the virtual world, so worth an ask?

All feedback greatly appreciated and warmly accepted!
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book! Empty Re: Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book!

Post  Vidya Moksha Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:11 pm

im using a nom de plume, for those of you that know me in real life..

Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book! Cover_11
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book! Empty Re: Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book!

Post  orthodoxymoron Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:12 pm

Congratulations Vidya!! I envy you!! Pen-Envy?? Good-Luck with Book-Sales!! I write every single day -- but I can't write a book -- even though I've probably written a couple of them on this site for free!! I wouldn't be able to communicate in a book what I communicate every day!! I use images, videos, and member-comments on my threads -- which I wouldn't be able to use in a book!! I guess I need YOUR advice more than you need MY advice!! I think my writing is disjointed and abrasive -- yet I think I reveal a lot of stuff which might be somewhat dangerous if anyone bothered to read it!! What should I do?? I need to pay my bills -- but I am too frightened, discouraged, and lazy to actually write a book that's Fit to Print. BTW -- I buy way too many actual books -- and I often have a difficult time finishing them!! I often read three or four books side by side. I often read books and watch videos side by side. Today -- I read from a couple of theology-books -- and then re-watched Jupiter Ascending. Yesterday -- I read theology-books and re-watched Ex Machina. I often enjoy reading my own words within The Mists of Avalon. That's sort of self-centered -- isn't it?? If I can't influence others -- perhaps I can influence myself. Hope Springs Eternal. Once again -- CONGRATULATIONS!!
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:53 am

thanks oxy.. there is no money in books, only for the few famous folk who sell millions of copies. The reality is that the printer and publisher and postal service make the money.

I am based in europe and printed it in the states through blurb, i ordered a copy to review and shipping costs and print costs to me, the author, were more than most people pay for a book. Im guessing ebooks wont have the same postage and logistical issues, but i like paper in my hand, not an electronic device..

I have been writing my whole life, so its kind of second nature now, though I used to produce scientific reports, im good at conveying complex issues in a simple way but not too hot with the flowery writing...

I needed 4 months of complete solitude to basically write this book, which started life back in 2005.. i have been messing with it since then, and using the notes as the basis for a hatha yoga class, but to include all the background and other experiences of mine, took me 4 months as i say. Where can you find 4 months solitude these days?

when i was living in india for pennies a day i would have been happy for this book just to be out there, for people to read... now i am in europe i have to feed, clothe and house myself and its mighty expensive, so what to do...

let the universe decide i suppose..

there were 3 people walking down the road... an artist, an author and the third person didnt have any money either
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:00 am

Congratulations Vidhya and many blessings.
    May that book of yours land in the hands of the people that are already looking for it,
    ready to receive all the benefits from reading and integrating it.

I prefer to read paper books much more than virtual ones.
    I am probably still from the old school :)
    But I believe the electronic version is definitely something you have to go for though.
    Friends of mine my age already adopted the convenient system of being able to
    carry their library around and read from it wherever they go.

I mostly find my books in second hand shops but if something really interests me
    that isn't present in these shops I would pay the price for it and buy it from the store.

I think the price you demand for the book is quite reasonable.

GO for it Thubs Up

Much love and success in your enterprise.

mudra
    Seashore
    Seashore

Post  Seashore Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:23 am

Vidya Moksha wrote:im using a nom de plume, for those of you that know me in real life..

Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book! Cover_11

That is stunning.  Thubs Up
    Seashore
    Seashore

Post  Seashore Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:26 am

Vidya Moksha wrote:Hey Folk.
    Do people buy real books anymore?

I buy on Kindle now and I'll pay $10 - $20.

But I don't buy nearly as many books as I used to.  There is too much competition for books from text found on websites.
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:56 am

Thanks Seashore, I hope the text is received as well as the cover was.

I think I will have to produce an ebook as well.. as much as anything for the lack of shipping costs, and the ebook should come within your price range... wont i end up selling a couple of e-books which are then copied and pirated ? guess thats one way of getting the book seen !

I produced the book in indesign, so i can export as softcover, hardback and e-book.. what I would really like is for a graphic artist to double the size of the book with nice graphics and sell as a coffee table book... but thats not in the pipeline anytime soon.
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:03 am

mudra wrote:Congratulations Vidhya and many blessings.
    May that book of yours land in the hands of the people that are already looking for it,
    ready to receive all the benefits from reading and integrating it.

I prefer to read paper books much more than virtual ones.
    I am probably still from the old school :)
    But I believe the electronic version is definitely something you have to go for though.
    Friends of mine my age already adopted the convenient system of being able to
    carry their library around and read from it wherever they go.

I mostly find my books in second hand shops but if  something really interests me
    that isn't present in these shops I would pay the price for it and buy it from the store.

I think the price you demand for the book is quite reasonable.

GO for it  Thubs Up

Much love and success in your enterprise.

mudra

thanks Mudra, i tend to agree with all you say, and I have to produce an electronic version. Thanks for the feedback re price, I have been thinking too much about it but at the end of the day I cant see it making me any sort of income, so I will just publish it and create a web page to link to it. I will pull together a mini-preview version so folk can see what they would be buying..

I bought a spoon / bowl carving chisel for 45 euros this week,, kind of puts it into perspective doesnt it?
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:38 am

Thank-you Vidya.
    L. Ron Hubbard supposedly said something to the effect that
    "There's No Money in Writing Science-Fiction. If One Wishes to Make Money -- Start a Religion!"
    Hmmmmm.......Salvation4Sale???
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:43 am

orthodoxymoron wrote:
    Thank-you Vidya.
    L. Ron Hubbard supposedly said something to the effect that
    "There's No Money in Writing Science-Fiction. If One Wishes to Make Money -- Start a Religion!"
    Hmmmmm.......Salvation4Sale???

Yes he did and apparently proved himself right.
    But he however died a poor , and unhappy man living in hiding leaving his empire behind.

Follow your heart Oxy for that is the door to your soul-self.
    In truth the greatest treasure we have.

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:45 am

Vidya I forgot to mention I love that book cover you chose for your book.
    It's dynamic and striking.
    Very appealing.

Flowers

Love from me
    mudra
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Thank-you mudra.
    I'm already a poor unhappy-man living in relative-seclusion -- so what do I have to lose??
    Siriusly -- Pain is the Cost of Doing Business in the Universe.
    They Make You Pay -- One Way or Another.
    Seashore
    Seashore

Post  Seashore Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Vidya Moksha wrote:Thanks Seashore, I hope the text is received as well as the cover was.

I think I will have to produce an ebook as well.. as much as anything for the lack of shipping costs, and the ebook should come within your price range... wont i end up selling a couple of e-books which are then copied and pirated ? guess thats one way of getting the book seen !

I produced the book in indesign, so i can export as softcover, hardback and e-book.. what I would really like is for a graphic artist to double the size of the book with nice graphics and sell as a coffee table book... but thats not in the pipeline anytime soon.

The one thing I don't like about Kindle is that often if there is a table or a diagram, it will be hard to read.  I have tried everything I can think of trying to remedy that but so far I haven't been able to.

Here's an example:

Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book! Untitl20

Will you have tables or diagrams?
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:34 pm

Seashore wrote:

no tables, the asana section is fully illustrated to show the various poses.
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:35 pm

mudra wrote:Vidya I forgot to mention I love that book cover you chose for your book.
    It's dynamic and striking.
    Very appealing.

Flowers

Love from me
    mudra

thank you
    Embarassed
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Well, I have the first copy and have made final edits and put the paperback version for sale. The e-book will follow shortly, I have to edit all the fonts as they are not supported in e-book form.
    http://www.blurb.com/b/6348229-a-comprehensive-introduction-to-yoga?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=bookstore-share

Hope some of you are interested!
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Thank You Vidya.
    The few pages available I read made me want to know more.
    I was missing that book in my personal library :)
    Very glad you published it.
    I will buy it from you but it will be a bit later.

Love from me
    mudra

Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:20 pm

mudra wrote:Thank You Vidya.
    The few pages available I read made me want to know more.
    I was missing that book in my personal library :)
    Very glad you published it.
    I will buy it from you but it will be a bit later.

Love from me
    mudra

Thanks Mudra
    As you all know I am still essentially homeless so any sales greatly appreciated while I find my base.. but I would like this book to be read, if there are any folk in the mists who are similarly hard up for cash and want a copy then I will send out a free pdf, or the ebook when its complete, as long as you dont pirate it too widely Wink
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Vidya Moksha wrote:
    Seashore wrote:

no tables, the asana section is fully illustrated to show the various poses.

Congratulations, Vidya Moksha, for the completion of your book. The cover looks beautiful and although I'm
    not into yoga, practicing those body positions, I'm convinced it's beneficial to many people nowadays and
    I sincerely wish you many readers who benefit from your work, put in form and published in this book.

I too suggest an offer of a digital version for sale. I'm in the very early phase of writing a book, by saving
    words I wrote in the last 4 years that are in sync with the storyline. My book will be written in the UK.
    As a start I've begun to live here Lolerz It takes energy to organize my life and I do enjoy the summer outdoors.
    I'm already a member of the UK library, which is free of costs, only requiring an English address Cheerful

I'm somewhat familiar with www.scribd.com, in publishing and reading. You can present a book, accessible to
    others for a set price. I'm pretty sure there are more of those sites in the virtual world. Also I remember writers
    suggesting to offer money for their book, representing the value the reader finds in it, which is a free way of trust.
    This of course doesn't sustain the intake of food and drink on a daily base and in the UK life is expensive, as you know.
    Good luck with exploring, bookwise and walkwise Cheerful
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:45 am

B.B.Baghor wrote:Congratulations, Vidya Moksha, for the completion of your book. The cover looks beautiful and although I'm
    not into yoga, practicing those body positions, I'm convinced it's beneficial to many people nowadays and
    I sincerely wish you many readers who benefit from your work, put in form and published in this book.

I too suggest an offer of a digital version for sale.

Thanks BBB

One of the reasons for my book is to show that the 'body positions' (asana) are a small part of yoga, merely cleansing techniques for the higher practices. At the end of the day yoga is a head trip, not a body trip.

The last section of my books describes the state of advaita.. didnt you have some reference to that ina previous signature here in the mists, so perhaps there is something of interest for you in yoga after all.

Today's job is to make an electronic version of the book, the font I used for the printed book isnt supported by e-books, and when the publisher changed the font it messed up all my formatting, so I need to chose a font from a small list of ones I dont really like and re format the book.
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:16 am

Perhaps we should write books like this!!

Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:33 am

B.B.Baghor wrote:

I'm somewhat familiar with www.scribd.com, in publishing and reading. You can present a book, accessible to
    others for a set price. I'm pretty sure there are more of those sites in the virtual world. Also I remember writers
    suggesting to offer money for their book, representing the value the reader finds in it, which is a free way of trust.
    [/size]

Maybe this isnt the best time to be replying to this, I am quite annoyed / frustrated with the book publishing at the moment.. the amount of 'stealth' taxes they charge for the books is quite ridiculous. I am the one supporting my book financially at the moment, which doesn't seem right after so much effort to actually write it!

I am working on an ebook still, but having all manner of grief getting that formatted!, and then I will reconsider my options.. maybe offering it as a free pdf with a donate button is the best way forward..I think for my next book I will do this..

I still like real books though...

If sales were guaranteed then taking the book to a local printer would be the best way forward, but you need money up front to do that and have to distribute the books yourself...

I am not impressed with the print on demand service... but what to do if the book is to be produced as a real paper item?
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:00 am

Vidya Moksha wrote:
    B.B.Baghor wrote:

[/size]

Maybe this isnt the best time to be replying to this, I am quite annoyed / frustrated with the book publishing at the moment.. the amount of 'stealth' taxes they charge for the books is quite ridiculous. I am the one supporting my book financially at the moment, which doesn't seem right after so much effort to actually write it!

I am working on an ebook still, but having all manner of grief getting that formatted!, and then I will reconsider my options.. maybe offering it as a free pdf with a donate button is the best way forward..I think for my next book I will do this..

I still like real books though...

If sales were guaranteed then taking the book to a local printer would be the best way forward, but you need money up front to do that and have to distribute the books yourself...

I am not impressed with the print on demand service... but what to do if the book is to be produced as a real paper item?

Thank you, Vidya Moksha, for sharing your feelings and experiences, trying to bring your book under the eyes of people.
    I know better now, what to look out for, once I'm in that place Wink Are you in Sussex now? Is it raining overthere? I'm at
    home (in Somerset) for the first time for hours, with strong wind and showers all the time. Feels like autumn and candle
    burning, while warmly clothed in my comfy chair.

Do you still buy real books? Advice sought for my first published book! 66-hea10

I like real books too, like you, better than reading from my laptop screen. Printing a document helps, but it's not the same
    as a real book with a cover like yours. I'll share some of my experiences with writing and book-making. Not sure if you find
    this useful in your present mood, but alas..... save it for a rainy day? Ahem, oh, not today maybe? Lolerz

I know of beginning writers, having the same experiences as you mention, investing much time and energy. Even money.
    There are crowdfunding initiatives, but I have no experience with them. I think these forms of financing do work, you know.
    I'll have to find my way in publishing my book that is still in the early stages. A Dutch friend of mine sells his latest book,
    besides a physical book, as an audiobook too. The voice reading this book is his own. This is the link to the site he uses
    http://www.123luisterboek.nl/engelstalig/ I'm sure there are many more like this.

How about manufacturing your own book by your own hands? Once, I've bought a Tibetan book with instructions how to
    make a Yurt, by a Dutch Yurt-builder who had learned that skill in Tibet. The price was 100 euro, but I felt it worthwhile.
    This book is very different from Western books, for it's a bundle of loose pages, with lots of drawings and text, pressed
    between thick cardboard covers with ribbons of cloth woven through them, strapping the whole of it neatly together,
    very intricate but working rather well.

I've published short stories, online, free readable. Three times 13 chapter-books, in Dutch, of my writing are in my first
    website, written in 1999. I'm planning to translate them in English at some point. These I've often printed in the library
    and crafted the half a centimeter thick bundle, with illustrations of my hand, into little books on half A4 format, cutting
    the paper I chose from secondhand shops who sold that odd paper with holes on the side, once used in those old
    fashioned chainpaper-printers. The quality of that paper is very good though. The simplest way I found, making a book,
    was by making 2 holes through the left side of the pages (those familiar perforator holes) and strapping them together
    with a colorful ribbon. Often I gave these storybooks away as present.

I've once written a text for my first website, shared it on Facebook and was asked by another writer on Facebook, to
    offer it for free, so that she could publish it in her online magazine. Inexperienced as I was, flattered also, I agreed.
    A day later she did sent me the link to her magazine, with the article in it. What's that? She changed the text!!
    Some parts were totally out of the original context, due to that. How in the world?

I was so amazed and felt my text so insulted, I was jumping much higher than little chicken below, wings Hot
    I immediately ordered her to remove it from her magazine. She, on her turn, was amazed by my reaction. "Editing is always
    done, when you publish a book or article in other people's magazine. They decide how it's best presented" she replied.
    Huhhh? When it's my creation? No way I will agree to that treatment! I told her that no point or comma could be changed
    in my texts, unless this was discussed and decided in mutual agreement. She disappeared in virtual silence.

I think you'll have more fun if you handle the whole enterprise as a creative process, without any pressure, independent
    from a need for an income, or investing it in your book, Vidya Moksha. Am I jumping to the wrong conclusions now?
    I can imagine you sitting at a table with a stack of your books on it, signing them for the visitors of the somewhat
    "new agey" bookshop, that kindly offers you this chance, in some small village in the UK or elsewhere in one of your
    travel destinations. Totnes in Devon has a great bookshop called The Arcturian Bookshop. This is a hippy trippy place
    with a huge amount of yoga practicioners, visiting or living in that town. Anyway, good luck and have fun with it!

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:24 pm

I have written two books on Color harmony as well as a few manuals. None of them  have gone to an editor. Beside the money I would have to invest they could'nt guarantee the fidelity of the colors I used which is an important point in my work. So I print and bind them myself in a A4 format and have been selling them for a few years now on a word of mouth basis and through my website. I haven't counted how much of them I sold but I am surprised I have actually been able to sell quite a few of them by now. The price I sell them is quite expensive but apparently that did'nt dissuade people from being interested.

Consider there are some people out there that are just ready and waiting for your product . Let them know it's available and they will find their way to you.

Love from me
    mudra

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:21 pm