tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

New Mass Translation Changes

orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

New Mass Translation Changes Empty New Mass Translation Changes

Post  orthodoxymoron Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:55 am

A Roman Catholic Priest just alerted me to some wording changes in the Novus Ordo Mass. 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtnKSDs4Zw8&feature=related 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMxRko5gmr0 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF5qfGPe-Zo&feature=related I am not a Roman Catholic, but I am interested in better understanding the positives and negatives, historically and presently, so as to know what I'm supposed to be protesting when I call myself a 'Protestant'. Think about it. Do Protestant churches teach Roman Catholicism to their members, so they at least know what they're protesting against? I once attended a lecture by a Jesuit at a Protestant College. It was actually quite good, and well received by the mostly liberal audience. I will continue to be both supportive and critical of all churches, with a special emphasis on the Roman Catholic Church and the Anglican Communion, because of their size and historical roots. If these organizations are in trouble, all of Christendom is in trouble. I guess I desire a new reformation in all churches, as well as in the secular world. Anyway, back to the Mass. http://old.usccb.org/romanmissal/ Changing is problematic. Not Changing is problematic. Simply being alive is problematic. The big problem with the Roman Catholic Church is that it is HUGE, and any changes require a HUGE amount effort and conflict. Here is an announcement regarding the changes.

"Full implementation of the Roman Missal, Third Edition began around the United States and most of the English-speaking Catholic world on the First Sunday of Advent, 2011. While the preparation phase of the Missal has passed, the work of preparing hearts and minds to enter more deeply into the mystery of faith continues. Revised principles for translation (Liturgiam authenticam) were issued in 2001, and the third edition of the Missale Romanum was promulgated in 2002 (and emended in 2008). Nine years later, a monumental work of inculturation—the English translation of the Latin text—has reached fruition in churches and oratories around the world. There is need for patience with assembly and ministers as we all struggle to learn, to understand, and to interiorize our ageless faith in a new verbal expression. In addition to the revised translation of some familiar Mass prayers, the new Missal contains prayers for the observances of recently canonized saints, additional prefaces for the Eucharistic Prayers, additional Votive Masses and Masses and Prayers for Various Needs and Occasions, and some updated and revised rubrics (instructions) for the celebration of the Mass. New musical settings have been composed, and pew cards to help with the transition are in place. The entire Church in the United States has been blessed with this opportunity to deepen its understanding of the Sacred Liturgy, and to appreciate its meaning and importance in our lives. Because the Sacred Liturgy is the central action of the Church’s mission in the world, the energy and attention given over to the Roman Missal actually serves as the foundation for all of the other charitable and apostolic work in which the Church engages.

It is the Sacred Liturgy which informs, inspires and nourishes the rest of the Church’s work in the world. As the Constitution on the Liturgy states, “the liturgy is the summit toward which the activity of the Church is directed; at the same time it is the font from which all her power flows” (art. 10). The coming months are an opportunity for Catholics to let the new words of the Mass strike our hearts and imaginations. Homilists are encouraged to preach not only on the new texts, but on the structure and meaning of the Mass itself. It is also a chance for ministers and assembly alike to invite back those who have not attended for some time, and encourage them to “come and see” (Jn. 1:46) this new work in the Church. This website will be preparing additional resources to help this next phase in our stewardship of the Mass. In the meantime, the Scripturally annotated Order of Mass and other useful material remain on the website for continued catechesis. The work of preparation now shifts to that of embracing and interiorizing this new expression of the ageless mystery. There is grace with the new Missal for all Catholics as we allow the Holy Spirit to deepen, nurture, and celebrate our faith through the renewal of our worship and the celebration of the Sacred Liturgy. The entire Church in the United States has been blessed with this opportunity to deepen its understanding of the Sacred Liturgy, and to appreciate its meaning and importance in our lives."

I just learned that the Roman Catholic Church has purchased the bankrupt Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, California. This should be VERY interesting to watch. I once introduced a Roman Catholic to the Crystal Cathedral, and took them on a tour of the campus. I had no idea what the future would bring. I simply wish for the level of happiness on Earth to be as high as possible, and I will work toward that end. I intend no arbitrariness or vindictiveness, but I do intend a most excellent manifestation of ethical and inspirational principles and concepts. An evolution in the Mass should be gradual and natural. It should not be forced or awkward. What I might desire personally might not work for the vast majority of Roman Catholics. It doesn't pay to mess with how people pray. It just doesn't pay. On the other hand, I will continue to conceptualize idealistic modalities of politics, religion, business, and law -- with an eye toward their constructive integration -- as dangerous as that sounds. I desire Responsible Freedom in the context of Law and Order -- but this is not an easy thing to accomplish. Just look at the history of the world to see what I mean. I guess I'll just continue to imagine myself being a Renegade French Jesuit Organist, working in the City of London as a Solar System Governance Consultant. We'll see how that goes.

When there are no organizational constraints, we the people are often quite fickle, and we sometimes swing from one extreme to another. I have been attempting an integration of the orthodoxy and the unorthodox -- as an orthodoxymoron -- for better or for worse. I have recently been taking a bit of a closer look at the City-States, which includes the Vatican -- in light of a lot of the new (for a lot of us) and controversial information. I like the concepts of Evolutionary Change and Minimalist Traditionalism, as sort of a mysterious blend. Try focusing on the following:

1. The Psalms in the King James Version of the Holy Bible.
    2. The Gospel According to Matthew in the KJV.
    3. The Epistle to the Hebrews in the KJV.
    4. The 1928 Book of Common Prayer (To be mostly used as an ecumenical devotional book).
    5. The Music of G.F. Handel.
    6. The Music of J.S. Bach.
    7. Physical Exercise in Nature.

Try all of the above for an extended period of time, and then see what you think regarding Theological and Liturgical Reform. After all, this is all about what YOU think, and not about what I think. I will not force my views on anyone or be a pain in the hindquarters. Check this out. http://catholicknight.blogspot.com/2011/05/novus-ordo-mass-set-for-extinction.html

"THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT: The Novus Ordo mass, as we know it today, has been selected for extinction. That's the word from one high-ranking official in the Vatican. (Catholic Culture) - The Instruction issued this week, underlining Pope Benedict’s desire for wider use of the “extraordinary form” of the Mass, is part of the Pontiff’s overall plan for a liturgical “reform of the reform,” according to one top Vatican official. Cardinal Kurt Koch, the new president of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, said that the Pope hopes for the eventual development of a newly reformed liturgy, combining elements of both the traditional Latin Mass and the Novus Ordo liturgy. This "newly formed liturgy" does not necessarily imply an extinction of the Tridentine mass as we know it. Rumors have been circulating in Rome for years now that an entirely new Roman Missal is in the works, and some claim to have seen a prototype of it. If indeed such a prototype does exist, it is more likely a working model for development, and not anything that will be released anytime in the near future. The existence of "two forms" of the Roman Rite, both ordinary and extraordinary, is an odd development in the history of the Catholic Church. It is the result of what Pope Benedict XVI referred to as the "hermeneutic of rupture" following the misinterpretations and misapplications of the Second Vatican Council. By bringing the Tridentine liturgy back to the forefront of the Church as the "extraordinary form" of the Roman right, the pope hopes to reintroduce a "hermeneutic of continuity" back into the mainstream Church. By allowing the "ordinary form" and "extraordinary form" to exist side-by-side for a set period of time, the Holy Father hopes to allow a natural and organic development of tradition to unfold, drawing the two forms closer together in practice, as priests learn to celebrate the ordinary form with more extraordinary reverence. This coupled with better vernacular translations and liturgical guidance from the Vatican, will in a relatively short time revive the historical tradition of the Roman Catholic ethos.

The idea here is that a time will come, someday in the not-too-distant future (perhaps in another 8 to 16 years) when the separation of the two forms will no longer be necessary. A new missal will be released, which will essentially be Tridentine in nature, but with an expanded lectionary, tightening the rubrics for the Liturgy of the Eucharist in comparison to today's Novus Ordo, and loosening the rubrics for the Liturgy of the Word in comparison to today's Tridentine mass. Thus the Liturgy of the Eucharist would be set in stone, thoroughly Tridentine in nature, while the Liturgy of the Word would have some flexibility. Priests who want to make their celebration as traditional as possible will be able to do so easily, and exclusively in Latin if they prefer. While priests who want to make their celebration a bit more contemporary will also do so easily, likely using the vernacular translations. The Liturgy of the Eucharist would remain constant for all priests, regardless of their persuasion, and the canon of the mass (the consecration itself) will likely be said exclusively in Latin, regardless of the vernacular translation being used for the rest of the liturgy. This is what the 'Knight' has heard will be the framework of a future Missal for the Roman Rite. Meanwhile the pope has made it clear that the Anglican ordinariates are to develop their own exclusive liturgy which will be based loosely on 'Rite One' from the Book of Divine Worship. This new liturgy will be used throughout ALL the Anglican ordinariates, without exception, not excluding the two forms of the Roman Rite which may be celebrated as well. Elements from the Sarum Use will likely be introduced to this Anglican ordinariate liturgy as well as some very "Tridentine-like" rubrics. In time, it is possible this will become a very popular liturgy for the English-speaking people throughout the world. The Novus Ordo mass, as we know it today, has been slated for extinction. The horrid English translation of the Novus Ordo mass will expire later this year. The liturgical abuses and innovations that followed it, will likewise be dealt with one by one in the coming years. The clergy that gave us the Novus Ordo culture and the "hermeneutic of rupture" are likewise slated for retirement in the years ahead. The new seminarians coming out now are far more traditional and orthodox in nature. A fundamental paradigm shift has just occurred with the release of Summorum Pontificum (2007), Universae Ecclesiae (2011) and Anglicanorum Coetibus (2009). It's a paradigm shift that is unstoppable now, but won't be realized in it's fullness for at least a decade. By then the Catholic Church will have been so radically transformed from what it is today that it will be barely recognizable to the modern Catholic, but strikingly familiar to the ancient Catholic. What becomes of the Novus Ordo mass, and poor vernacular translations, we are all so painfully familiar with today? They will live on of course, just no longer in the Catholic Church. They will become the designated liturgy for wannabe-catholic Protestant denominations and schismatic-liberal Catholic sects that left full-communion with the Church in rebellion over women's ordination and other heretical notions."

New Mass Translation Changes Latin%20mass%20wyd

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm