tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words

immortalisdolor
    immortalisdolor

Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words Empty Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words

Post  immortalisdolor Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:15 pm

Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words

The surrealist movements of past present and future.

I did not know where else to put this thread (I guess that is why most threads end up in universal. Admin, feel free to move it if needed.), however, it may be a fitting place. This is a thread devoted to the surrealist movements of past, present, and future. I know this is and will be a strange and perhaps controversial thread, with the possibilities of debates on what defines surrealism in the first place, however, in the world of art and creativity, in reference to cultural, social, and political issues, this should be a good thing.

To get it started, the best place to start is the early surrealist movements. I know a little of it, and will start with a few pieces I know of. Feel free to challenge me whenever, as well as anyone else who post. For one of the core issues of surrealism is that of challenging the norm, the mundane, and the bourgeoisie. So here it goes, hopefully I have just started a hot and heavy thread (that is what I think it is about.)

I will start it off with an early piece by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali called, Un Chien Andalou. It is originally a silent film, but music was added, the original intent may be best without the music(aka, mute the volume.)

Un Chien Andalou is a sixteen minute silent surrealist short film produced in France by the Spanish director Luis Buñuel and artist Salvador Dalí. Its title means "An Andalusian Dog", but it is normally released under its original French title in the English-speaking world. It was Buñuel's first film and was initially released in 1929 to a limited showing in Paris, but became popular and ran for eight months.[1] It is one of the best-known surrealist films of the avant-garde movement of the 1920s.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dbTQ0m1E1NE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And just in case that did not work for some, a bit of Maya Deren tossed in. Feminism? Agency in women? Or something else?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4S03Aw5HULU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by immortalisdolor on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TRANCOSO
    TRANCOSO

Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words Empty Re: Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words

Post  TRANCOSO Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:06 pm

I've been a model for Dali in the early 80's.
    Very powerful personality - his wife (Gala) even more.

I have all of Bunuel's movies on video.
    immortalisdolor
    immortalisdolor

Post  immortalisdolor Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:15 pm

TRANCOSO wrote:I've been a model for Dali in the early 80's.
    Very powerful personality - his wife (Gala) even more.

I have all of Bunuel's movies on video.

Excellent TRANCOSO! Glad to know others are educated in some of the works. It is ashamed we were not, all of us, exposed to such works at a younger age. Such valuable material. I feel like college is what elementary school should have been, and even college is not that great at least 75% of the time. I don't know what Amsterdam education is like, but I think I just explained America's.

TRANCOSO
    TRANCOSO

Post  TRANCOSO Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:26 pm

You have to educate yourself, which is only possible when you're lucky enough to grow up in the right enviroment.

I could read at 4, was a Rolling Stones fan at 5 & watched Bunuel movies at 12.

At the college I went to it was allowed to smoke pot.
    starninja
    starninja
    Inactive

Post  starninja Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:43 pm

Immortalisdolor, I feel excited that you have opened this tread. I love surrealism.
    TRANCOSO, I feel jealous that you have Bunuel's movies. Where I live..... there is a little appreciation for European movies. Crybaby
    starninja
    starninja
    Inactive

Post  starninja Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:35 am

Salvador Dalí

Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words 31PersistenceOfMemory

The Persistence of Memory, 1931

Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words 33EnigmaOfWilliamTell

Enigma Of William Tell, 1933

A prophet scratch

Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words 34MeditationOnTheHarp

Meditation on the Harp, 1934

Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words Rose-meditative

Meditative Rose

I couldn't resist. Dali was ......a courageous artist. Insanely Happy

Surrealism in Film, Art, and Words DaliGreatMasturbator

The Great Masturbator, 1929
    TRANCOSO
    TRANCOSO

Post  TRANCOSO Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:38 am

starninja wrote:
    Immortalisdolor, I feel excited that you have opened this tread. I love surrealism.
    TRANCOSO, I feel jealous that you have Bunuel's movies. Where I live..... there is a little appreciation for European movies. Crybaby
    Dali's wife Gala said to me: "There's nothing to understand..." & if you look at the world in that way, it makes perfect sense.

starninja
    starninja
    Inactive

Post  starninja Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:02 pm

TRANCOSO wrote:

Dali's wife Gala said to me: "There's nothing to understand..." & if you look at the world in that way, it makes perfect sense.

Hm………there is some truth in it. We may get lost in our attempt to understand so that we may forget to live and enjoy life. I think that the key is having balance and we got mind for a reason not as a burden. Lolerz But definitely we need to understand ourselves. I guess Gala wasn't that curious. jocolor

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am