tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

The Medium is the Massage..... ehmm.. Message? Marshall McLuhan

B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

The Medium is the Massage..... ehmm.. Message? Marshall McLuhan Empty The Medium is the Massage..... ehmm.. Message? Marshall McLuhan

Post  B.B.Baghor Tue May 19, 2015 6:42 am

This topic is related to the discussion on how the use of mass media, for example internet, influences our way of life,
    our nervous system and consciousness. Is this provocative to the point of being outrageous? Are some media cool and
    are some hot? Are they an extension of our nervous system? A cause of an electrical revitalization of the West?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko6J9v1C9zE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaH51F4HBw&list=PL354DF11226F1B819

A delightful '70's style presentation Thubs Up

My main interest in this book is, that McLuan's vision was based on that moment in time, that life experience of his.
    Looking back now, we can find how and if McLuan's vision and understanding of his world, his box of thinking, holds truth
    in finding evidence of it in our present world. And if not, how the causes can be found that shape our virtual reality and
    the impact of it on our lives and consciousness, our nervous system, different from the reality McLuan perceived as our
    possible future. McLuan may have found, when still alive to this day, that he practiced wishful thinking in his vision of a
    virtual world connecting us on all levels, as in interdependency, perceived by Ghandi as a beneficial way of life.

When the book was in print and Marshall received the first, he found that the title "The medium is the message" was
    mistakenly changed into "The medium is the massage". He liked it and also used the last word of that title as "Mass-age"
    at times.

On my trip through the UK, during a stay with a homeowner, offering her home to share, generously gave me the book,
    allowing me time to read it and in due time send it back to her. It's high level acrobatics for my brain Blink at times in
    need of moving in circles, back to where I was..... on the page.... hmmm, where was I?

Here are some parts of the book "The medium is the massage" by Marshall McLuhan:

"Art, or the graphic translation of a culture, is shaped by the way space is perceived. Since the Renaissance, the Western
    artist perceived his environment primarily in terms of the visual. Everything was dominated by the eye of the beholder. His
    conception of space was in terms of a perspective projection upon a plane surface consisting of formal units of spatial
    measurement. He accepted the dominance of the vertical and the horizontal – of symmetry- as an absolute condition of
    order. This view is deeply embedded in the consciousness of Western art.

Primitive and pre-alphabet people integrate time and space as one and live in an acoustic, horizonless, boundless, olfactory
    space, rather than in visual space. Their graphic presentations is like an x-ray. They put in everything they know, rather than
    only what they see. A drawing of a man hunting seal on an ice floe will show not only what is on top of the ice, but what lies
    underneath as well. The primitive artist twists and tilts the various possible visual aspects until they fully explain what he
    wishes to represent.

(Carl Orff, the noted contemporary German composer, has refused to accept as a student any bu the preschool child –
    the child whose spontaneous sense perceptions have not yet been channeled by formal, literary, visual prejudices.)

"Electric circuitry is recreating in us the multi-dimensional space orientation of the "primitive."

"Ours is a brand-new world of all-at-once-ness."Time" has ceased, "space" has vanished. We now live in a global village…..
    a simultaneous happening. We are back in acoustic space. We have begun again to structure the primordial feeling, the tribal
    emotions from which a few centuries of literacy divorced us. We have and to shift our stress of attention from action to
    reaction. We must now know in advance the consequences of any policy or action, since the results are experienced without
    delay. Because of electric speed, we can no longer wait and see. George Washington once remarked "We haven't heard from
    Benjamin Franklin in Paris this year. We should write him a letter".

"At the high speeds of electric communication, purely visual means of apprehending the world are no longer possible; they are just
    too slow to be relevant or effective."

"Unhappily, we confront this new situation with an enormous backlog of outdated mental and psychological responses. We have
    been left d-a-n-g-l-i-n-g. Our most impressive words and thoughts betray us – they refer us only to the past, not to the present".

"Electric circuitry profoundly involves men with one another. Information pours upon us, instantaneously and continuously. As soon
    as information is acquired, it is very rapidly replaced by still newer information. Our electrically-configured world has forced us to
    move from the habit of data classification to the mode of pattern recognition. We can no longer build serially, block-by-block, step-
    by-step, because instant communication insures that all factors of the environment and of experience co-exist in a state of active
    interplay".

mudra
    mudra

The Medium is the Massage..... ehmm.. Message? Marshall McLuhan Empty Re: The Medium is the Massage..... ehmm.. Message? Marshall McLuhan

Post  mudra Tue May 19, 2015 11:51 am

I relate to what is written above in that passage you quoted BB and was happy to find this man was actually able to put it into words. For me there is something like telepathic resonance taking place that comes from the vast pool of exchange of ideas that internet is . Nothing linear at all more on the level of synchronistic bridges triggered by other people questions or posts opening doors to alibaba caverns at times and worlds of their own popping into mine in a uplifting way.
    Hence I rarely get bored when I focus on the internet for the roads there are not mapped and yet always lead me some unknown places that are feeling familiar at the same time.
    Its like a magnifying mirror showing that we travel in the maze of life with something underlying it all , Consciousness that serves as the guidance.

This goes so fast at times that the soothing contemplation of nature I found is a wonderfull way to quieten the mind and explore the values of silence.

Love from me
    mudra
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

The Medium is the Massage..... ehmm.. Message? Marshall McLuhan Empty Re: The Medium is the Massage..... ehmm.. Message? Marshall McLuhan

Post  B.B.Baghor Tue May 19, 2015 5:13 pm

mudra wrote:
    Hence I rarely get bored when I focus on the internet for the roads there are not mapped and yet always lead me some unknown places that are feeling familiar at the same time.
    Its like a magnifying mirror showing that we travel in the maze of life with something underlying it all , Consciousness that serves as the guidance.

This goes so fast at times that the soothing contemplation of nature I found is a wonderfull way to quieten the mind and explore the values of silence.

Love from me
    mudra

I can understand your words in this quote here, mudra, the soothing effect of being in nature and the value of silence, a quietude of mind.
    To me, being in nature and silence, after an hour online, slows down an inner almost electrical process that feels sort of linear, focused mainly
    in my brain. A theory that I have formed in my exploring of the virtual world, a theory that is tested to this day, is that the internet and its
    roads without mapping is a virtual world where a collective space is shared by users and where the users are shared by that collective space.
    An intermingling of some sort.

Specially when the users online are present on a regular basis, in the same shared virtual space, with a common interest, or one that is
    possibly programmed, creating an energetic connection in that virtual space, some sort of umbilical cord. In a more familiar way, it can be
    similar to going to church each Sunday with the same group of people, with a religion as a third party, creating a schism between the un-
    conscious - and the conscious parts of the people, suppressing the parts hidden in shadows.

I imagine virtual drama play as a form of such activity in that virtual space, fueled by a sense of separation in the individual, triggering
    anger by the projecting of anger. Entering a loop of exponential growth. In the same manner also, I imagine virtual sharing in harmony as
    a form of such activity, fueled by a sense of connectedness, with the heart as much present as the mind, stomach and feet. To me, that
    discernment is key to a thriving community, be it a tribe living in harmony in the desert or a virtual group like the Misty Avaloneans.
    I truly wonder what the effect is of being online while mainly out of body and if that's causing a two way effect, as in creating both initiator
    and subject, without knowing this of each other  Wink

I wonder if what you describe as "feeling familiar in unknown places" may be the effect of a collective presence and.... influence. Through
    the last 5 years of my life, I've learned to understand, by a kind of dawning process, that as long as I'm out of my body, I can become all
    that there is and I can and will become all that's in the room with me. When that state changes towards a conscious dawning of awareness,
    the bridge to presence in the physical body can be build and physical and energetic grounding will be the result of it.

This isn't about a dualistic view on presence in or out of body, as if one is better or worse. It's rather a disappearing of "this or that" and
    an entering of a third state, a dynamic state of flux as well. For isn't energy always in motion? From that moment, a conscious choice, an
    "owning of one's own space and energy" is possible. In other words, it's clear to me when I'm aware of what's my own story and how it's
    part of me, connected to my soul and physicality, and what's another person's story and how that's part of... etc. etc.

In that consciousness, the state of "out of body" is as easily reached as the state of "in the body, see what I mean? The "out of body
    person" usually is capable of channeling, in essence, and it depends on the amount of consciousness if the channeling is conscious and
    "owned" as in balanced with physical grounding, allowing ideas to become manifest in form, be it matter or an organization. In other words,
    balanced as when expressed by saying "as above, so below".

I was amazed to find so much of my hunches about the nature of digital media put in words by Marshall McLuhan, in that book "The media is
    the massage" Although the experience of seeing those words in print involves mainly my left brain, which feels sort of... linear again. The
    hunches are experienced mainly in my right brain, or so it feels. Reading the book triggers my left brain mostly. Food for thought, food for
    hunches  Cheerful

Here's a funny and interesting link to a video about Cloud Telephony vs. Internet Telephony:

http://www.onsip.com/blog/2010/02/23/cloud-telephony-vs-internet-telephony

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 am