tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

The Psi Wars Just Went Nuclear on TED

Brook
    Brook

The Psi Wars Just Went Nuclear on TED Empty The Psi Wars Just Went Nuclear on TED

Post  Brook Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 am

The Psi Wars Just Went Nuclear on TED

In the last couple of weeks I’ve been following the TED saga on the Sheldrake and Hancock TEDx controversy. For the most part I’ve been harsh on TED’s knee-jerk decision to pull out Sheldrake and Hancock’s talks and their lame and unsubstantiated justification for doing so. But in fairness to TED, I think they have every right to filter the talks that get published on their official distribution channel. TED has a tough job of protecting its brand from being diluted by nonsensical ideas masquerading as science. And even Rupert Sheldrake sympathizes with TED. As Sheldrake has eloquently said in his response to the controversy:

There’s a lot of rubbish and there has to be some kind of filter. So I’m not against the idea of a filter but what I am against is the idea of applying the filter in a very partial kind of way.

So it’s not the filtering per se that got me disappointed with TED but the manner in which they have done the filtering and the sloppy justification after the fact.

But just when I thought that the Sheldrake-Hancock TED controversy was about to die down, TED made another douchey move when it revoked TEDxWestHollywood’s license because their program was unscientific. According to TED’s email to TEDxWestHollywood event organizer, Suzanne Taylor:

We disallow speakers who use the language of science to claim they have proven the truth of ideas that are speculative and which have failed to gain significant scientific acceptance.

Then TED named names with the word “pseudoscience” in the same paragraph.

We will be especially interested to hear about the ideas that Marianne Williamson, Russell Targ, Larry Dossey, Paul Nugent, and Marilyn Schlitz will be presenting.We feel that the pseudoscience struggle is an important one. TED and TEDx cannot be platforms that give undo legitimacy to false evidence and selective logic — regardless of brilliant packaging.

I’m familiar with most of the names mentioned above but I don’t know enough details about their work to agree or disagree with TED’s assessment. However, I strongly object to lumping Russell Targ into the category of “pseudoscience.” The fact that TED has pointed a finger to Russell Targ leads me to speculate that the TED staff are ignorant (or maybe just dismissive) of the Remote viewing literature. I don’t claim expertise on the subject of remote viewing but I’ve been familiar with the literature for more than two decades now.

I understand the remote viewing protocol — it’s double-blind. The late Ingo Swann was instrumental in designing the protocol. Then it was taught to a few intelligence personnels in the military (one of them is remote viewer #001 Joe McMoneagle). I’ve always focused my attention to the original people who started it all because they did solid research on the phenomenon and they’re the ones who designed the original protocol. Russell Targ and Hal Puthoff had a deal with the CIA and the Defense Department that in return for funding they helped the military with intelligence work (e.g. locating people and cites of interests). Another condition was that Targ and Puthoff were given free rein by the military to publish their work in scientific journals. The classified project — Stargate Project — lasted for more than two decades. I don’t know about you but I don’t think Targ/Puthoff/Swann could’ve hoax the Defense Department, CIA, FBI, and even NASA for a long time, especially when millions of money were involved. The Defense Department might be wasteful in their spending but I don’t think the people running it were that stupid to be fooled for two decades without them getting valuable results.

Having said that, I was glad to see Russell Targ respond to TED. Here’s what Targ said on TED Conversations:

In cancelling the TEDx event in West Hollywood, it appears that I was accused of “using the guise of science” to further spooky claims, (or some such). People on this blog have asked what I was going to talk about. That’s easily answered. I was co-founder of a 23 year research program investigating psychic abilities at Stanford Research Institute. We were doing research and applications for the CIA, Defense Intelligence Agency, Air Force and Army Intelligence, NASA, and others. In this $25 million program we used “remote viewing” to find a downed Russian bomber in North Africa, for which President Carter commended us. We found a kidnapped US general in Italy, and the kidnap car that snatched Patricia Hearst. We looked in on the US hostages in Iran, and predicted the immanent release of Richard Queen, who was soon sent to Germany. We described a Russian weapons factory in Siberia, leading to a US congressional investigation about weakness in US security, etc. We published our scientific findings in Nature, The Proc. IEEE, Proc, AAAS, and Proc. American Institute of Physics. I thought a TED audience would find this recently declassified material interesting. And no physics would be harmed in my presentation.

Even before the TEDxWestHollywood controversy, blogger Craig Weiler already called the Sheldrake-Hancock controversy as “The Psi Wars Comes to TED.” And with this latest controversy with TEDxWestHollyWood and Russell Targ, TED has officially got in the middle of the Psi Wars. The Psi Wars just went nuclear on TED.

Here’s another comment left by Russell Targ on TED Conversations:

Remote viewing is an ability that many people can easily learn. It is a nonlocal ability, in that its accuracy and reliability are independent of distance. Dean of Engineering Robert Jahn has also published extensively on his experiments at Pronceton, (Proc. IEEE, Feb 1982). I am not claiming it is quantum anything. It appears to possibly make use of something like Minkowski’s (8 dimensional) complex space/time that he described to Einstein in the 1920s, and is now being re-examined by Roger Penrose. This is not necessarily The answer. But the answer will be some sort similar nonlocal space/time geometry. We taught remote viewing to 6 army intelligence officers in 1979. They then taught a dozen other officers, and created an operational army psychic corps at Ft. Meade, which lasted until the end of our program in 1995. You can see two examples of real remote viewing on my website, www.espresearch.com. One with Hella Hammid is double blind, live on camera for a 1983 BBC film, “The Case of ESP.” available on Google.

More here: http://www.c4chaos.com/2013/04/the-psi-wars-just-went-nuclear-on-ted/

With several videos attached....leaving this one:

Brook
    Brook

The Psi Wars Just Went Nuclear on TED Empty Re: The Psi Wars Just Went Nuclear on TED

Post  Brook Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 am

Have to add this part in a separate post and a video I have posted earlier on my "theater" thread:

It would be interesting to see how this TEDx West Hollywood controversy plays out. I’ll be watching this with glee and anticipation. In the meantime, speaking of remote viewing, check out this lecture by Dr. Michael Persinger on his remote viewing experiments with the late great psychic, Ingo Swann.

I guess Michael Persinger — a prolific scientist who works on the fringes — will also be persona non grata on the TED platform.

A brilliant study I might add...the last question is a doozy...what if:

malletzky
    malletzky

The Psi Wars Just Went Nuclear on TED Empty Re: The Psi Wars Just Went Nuclear on TED

Post  malletzky Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:05 am

With a great interest, I have also been following the Sheldrake & Hancock TED controversy for a while now and I find it pretty amusement to observe how (until present), a pretty reputable 'name' as TED is getting involved themselves in the discussion of science and pseudoscience, and this only because of the sheer ignorance or misunderstanding of these both terms.

It is now a wide known fact that the present 'science' and it's most postulates, theories, dogmas and you name it...are mostly based on various assumptions (even both Einstein's theories), just because without these assumptions, their formula’s would be worth a BS (to say at least).

In the case of Sheldrake and Hancock: How could a science be so sure and have ‚they’, the scientists, been able to prove the counterpart that the consciousness is realy tied to our brain and not 'outside', as many reputable researches were able to come up with realy provocative results in this field?

I would like to quote Ken Jordan here, the Publisher and Editorial Director of Evolver/Reality Sandwich:

...I’d like to extend an invitation to you to help us understand the reasoning that led to Ted’s actions, because we suspect that behind your decision is an uninformed prejudice against groundbreaking research in a critical area of study, the possibility that consciousness extends beyond the brain.

http://www.realitysandwich.com/open_letter_teds_chris_anderson

In my opinion, the one who have had any ‘unscientific’ experiences of any kind (OBE, NDE, consciousness extending via various aids as ayahuasca or meditation)....they know that the ‘world’ of the extended consciousness is definitely not in our brain, nor is somewhere out there. The one who knows, knows.

Me personaly, do not need any scientific proof of the one or the other...I know it.

With much respect
    Mall..
    Jenetta
    Jenetta

The Psi Wars Just Went Nuclear on TED Empty The PSI Wars Just Went Nuclear On TED

Post  Jenetta Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Read this book if you get hold of it:

PSYCHIC WARRIOR: Inside the CIA's Stargate Program The True Story Of A Soldier's Espionage & Awakening
    By David Morehouse

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 am