tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+29
eleni
ClearWater
syamakunda
mountainman
Vidya Moksha
Zedd
devakas
tacodog
eMonkey
lindabaker
enemyofNWO
Bobbie
GODDESS OF PURPLE LIGHT
CetaceousOne
LeeEllisMusic
sabina
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Jenetta
Carol
burgundia
lawlessline
Mercuriel
Floyd
newel
Micjer
spiritwarrior
anomalous cowherd
TRANCOSO
mudra
33 posters

Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill

newel
    newel

Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 Empty Re: Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill

Post  newel Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Is that true:

http://theintelhub.com/2010/07/14/why-bp-is-readying-a-super-weapon-to-avert-escalating-gulf-nightmare/

Why BP is Readying a ‘Super Weapon’ to Avert Escalating Gulf Nightmare

[...]

The giant oil company is now quietly preparing to test a small nuclear device in a frenzied rush against time to quell a cascading catastrophe. If successful they will have the capability to detonate a controlled fusion generated pulse.

[...]

While the world watches BP’s attempt to contain the oil gusher at the former Deepwater Horizon site, company officials have given the green light on an astounding plan to use what is known as a nuclear EPFCG charge if all else fails.

[...]

At a super-secret security base-CFB Suffield-located in southern Alberta, Canada, area reports indicate that high level engineers, physicists and military scientists are feverishly working to complete an ‘explosively pumped flux compression generator’ (EPFCG).

According to published scientific papers [see sources below] an EPFCG generator can be powered by a very small, controlled fusion explosion-in other words, a tiny nuclear bomb.

Why the UK based BP has set up operations at CFB-Suffield is obvious: The company already runs three oil rigs on the base, have worked with Canada’s chemical and biological efforts on and off for almost 40 years, and have strong ties to the Commonwealth’s infrastructure.

[...]

Source is http://www.helium.com/items/1889648-bp-preparing-super-weapon-to-avert-escalating-gulf-nightmare

How reliable is that source?
    mudra
    mudra

Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 Empty Re: Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill

Post  mudra Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 pm

metaw3 wrote:Is that true:

Source is http://www.helium.com/items/1889648-bp-preparing-super-weapon-to-avert-escalating-gulf-nightmare

How reliable is that source?

I made a quick research on the author Terrence Aym .

Here are the titles of other articles he wrote :

"Doomsday: How BP Gulf disaster may have triggered a 'world-killing' event'

"How the ultimate BP Gulf disaster could kill millions"

John L. Smith of the Las Vegas Review-Journal wrote about Terrence Aym and the article 'Why Las Vegas is dying.'

"Terrence Aym of Helium.com takes us on a trip down Nightmare Lane with his roundup of all things wrong with Southern Nevada these days. It’s titled, “Why Las Vegas is dying.” I recommend you read it only after taking your anti-depressants."

http://www.opednews.com/author/author49923.html

I believe this guy has the profile of these radical Christian doomers or whatever they are called.

He reminds me of Lindsay Williams that I personnally am not keen to relay as he has the apocalyptic and fearfull way to convey things.

Will do more research on this nuclear possibility though .

Love from me
    mudra
    newel
    newel

Post  newel Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Thank you mudra. It's citizen journalism just like Before It's News:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium.com

This Terrence Aym writings look like Sorcha Faal's. He has sources about some of the stuff he writes about, but not the main news, which is BP preparing to nuke the well. I think he made it up.
    anomalous cowherd
    anomalous cowherd

Post  anomalous cowherd Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:27 pm

actually there is a lot more on this eleswhere, but another BILL ( ahem) says NOOK it and Bill has more to say on it than Obarmy Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 Icon_scratch What's wrong with this picture?
    anomalous cowherd
    anomalous cowherd

Post  anomalous cowherd Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:30 pm

but you know, if the Russians did it, so must we, only bigger and badder and stupider
    anomalous cowherd
    anomalous cowherd

Post  anomalous cowherd Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:52 pm

and if this is true, the Guf has already been nuked , from 2006, http://www.nukesylo13.com/www.educate-yourself.org/zsl/nukegulfmexico14sep06.shtml
    Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:27 am

In addendum...

Blink

Peace, Light, Love, Harmony and Unity...
    lawlessline
    lawlessline

Post  lawlessline Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:47 am

sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick but I thought BP had the thing under control? I thought it was capped? whats with the nukes now?????? Confused.
    Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 Empty The Lynch Pin Reason...

Post  Mercuriel Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:57 am

I have been made to understand why this Nuclear Option is now being pushed. An Ephiphany of sorts if You will and so I must as needs be - Display It...

>--<

Currently - Hyperversals (Powers) are preventing Thermonuclear Reactions on Terra so as to allow Man to make the Choices necessary coming up to the Shift without being programmed or pushed by Offworlders. This happened around the Time of the failed North Korean Nuclear Tests.

This has left the Majority of Mankind striving now against Men of Flesh Who have been proxy to these Powers That Were - For Millenia.

The Board has been leveled of a sort - And the only way that the Powers (Hyperversals) will allow Thermonuclear Reactions once again before the Shift is if the Majority of Mankind Intends It.

Now - How does Mankind intend such a horrible thing to be resurrected or even used for anything ? Simple - If You understand Them...

Give It to the People as Their only effective way of dealing with a Catastrophic Oil Leak - Have the People Intend that Its done and through that Intention - It will be allowed Worldwide.

P - R - S | Problem - Reaction - Solution. This goes down and They'll try and light up WWIII...

Simply put - If They do this at All (Blow the Well) - Its gotta be Conventional Explosives or We're hooped afterwards.

Suspect

Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:59 am

lawlessline wrote:sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick but I thought BP had the thing under control? I thought it was capped? whats with the nukes now?????? Confused.

The Cap has failed...

This Info is already out there. Let Me try to find You something about It - Oh and BTW with the Info from the Video I posted above - Its obvious to Me now why They're drilling the "Relief Wells". The Nukes need to be close to the Pipe or Well Bore to Collapse It. If the Nuke Option is decided upon - They'd have to be where the "Relief Well" Holes are going to be anyways...

Convenient eh ?

Wink

lawlessline
    lawlessline

Post  lawlessline Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:11 am

Mercuriel wrote:
    lawlessline wrote:sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick but I thought BP had the thing under control? I thought it was capped? whats with the nukes now?????? Confused.

The Cap has failed...

This Info is already out there. Let Me try to find You something about It - Oh and BTW with the Info from the Video I posted above - Its obvious to Me now why They're drilling the "Relief Wells". The Nukes need to be close to the Pipe or Well Bore to Collapse It. If the Nuke Option is decided upon - They'd have to be where the "Relief Well" Holes are going to be anyways...

Convenient eh ?

Wink

Ypu go out the room for a couple of days and the whole thing goes potty. Right. Who we got down that way? Who here on the mists needs a get out place? Get over here for a long extended holiday. Just take out a month, if nothing happens great hols. If s**t goes down, I am sure you will like it here.

Ready and waiting,

t
    Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:29 am

Hmmm - This also fits with why so much bungling and outright plodding right on into this Disaster occurred in the first place.

They meant It - To draw the Intention from the People - And through the Hegelian Dialectic of PRS - Get Their chance to wage Armageddon with the Peoples Blessing...

This We must not allow - The Hoodwink is out now - Heheheheh...

sunny

TRANCOSO
    TRANCOSO

Post  TRANCOSO Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:02 am

Floyd wrote:
    TRANCOSO wrote:Thank you so much, Bill, for your updates.Thank you so much, Bill, Thank you Bill, Thank you so much, Bill, for your updates.Thank you so much, Bill, Thank you Bill, Thank you so much, Bill, for your updates.Thank you so much, Bill, Thank you Bill, Thank you so much, Bill, for your updates.Thank you so much, Bill, Thank you Bill, Thank you so much, Bill, for your updates.Thank you so much, Bill, Thank you Bill, Thank you so much, Bill, for your updates.Thank you so much, Bill, Thank you Bill, Thank you so much, Bill, for your updates.Thank you so much, Bill, Thank you Bill, Thank you so much, Bill, for your updates.Thank you so much, Bill, Thank you Bill, Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 164548

O, & by the way, thank you so much Bill, for the demolition of PA1!!! Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 426142

Indeed. The way the posters over there are disappearing up Bill's arse before our very eyes is most alarming.
    Im more of a kind of wait and see person as far as the Gulf situ goes. as usual I found some of the stories alarmist but its still to early to tell and there are a lot of side effects to be dealt with.
    He's wrong to put it to bed.
    It's a bit like a reversed oil spill! Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 21327
    TRANCOSO
    TRANCOSO

Post  TRANCOSO Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:32 am

http://www.sanaracreations.fi/rov-feeds/index.html

Something's leaking big time, right now!
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:51 am

TRANCOSO wrote:http://www.sanaracreations.fi/rov-feeds/index.html

According to Bill its leaking daisy's right now and everybody's on the beach holding hands naked and singing songs about dolphins.
    Of course the cap will solve everything.
    TRANCOSO
    TRANCOSO

Post  TRANCOSO Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:07 am

Well, if Bill says so, who am I to disagree?
    Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 Lol
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:14 am

Floyd wrote:

According to Bill its leaking daisy's right now and everybody's on the beach holding hands naked and singing songs about dolphins.
    Of course the cap will solve everything.
    Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 Lol Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 Lol Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 96967 Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 776253 Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 364319 Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 942153
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 am

rov1 is gushing!!!!!
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:27 am

Bill
    Ryan

Project Avalon Co Founder

Re: Read this : It's possible that the Macondo
    Well may be capped this week

The alternative media have a tough job: because no-one's giving press
    conferences on what's really being planned.
    "I think what happens is that the energy and intention and drive comes from people JUST KNOWING THAT SOMETHING IS BADLY WRONG.[ his caps-not mine]
    But they don't know exactly what that is. In their zeal, they sometimes pick on the wrong thing... they start running with the wrong ball. [mine]

bill deagle anyone??? Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 Icon_cheers

mundra QUOTE ``the government deems too dangerous to fly, but too harmless to
    arrest.'' WFT kind of excuse is that?.
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:49 am

Eyewitness to
    Gulf Disaster

Gulf Oil Platform Explosion and Spill - Page 2 Oil.disaster.125x70Tonight on a
    special “AC360,” three fishermen who happened to be in the right place
    at the right time. They heard the explosion in the Gulf and were the
    first to arrive on the scene. They’ll share never before seen photos and
    video with Anderson tonight, 10 ET, only on CNN.

JOIN: LIVE BLOG Weeknights
    10p ET
    http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:59 am

Use
    of Dispersants in Response to Gulf Oil Spill
    , Senate Committee
    Appropriations | Commerce, Justice, Science, and

Related Agencies, Jul 15, 2010:
    <blockquote>

• Station: C-Span
      , Live
    • Program Link: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/id/228408
    • Time: Hearing begins at 10:00am on Thursday July 15, 2010
    • Duration: 2 hours, 30 minutes
    • Summary: Environmental experts and advocates testified
      on the use of dispersants
      in the clean up of the Gulf of Mexico
      oil spill, and possible unintended consequences of their use.
    • Panel One: Larry Robinson, assistant secretary of
      Commerce for oceans and atmosphere/National Oceanic and Atmospheric
      Administration, Department of Commerce Lisa P. Jackson,
      administrator, EPA
    • Panel Two: Anne Rolfes, founding director, Louisiana
      Bucket Brigade
    http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/tune-in-at-1000am-for-live-hearing-use-of-dispersants-in-response-to-gulf-oil-spillSenate
    Committee
    Appropriations | Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related
    Agencies

Environmental
    experts and advocates testified on the use of dispersants in the clean
    up of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, and possible unintended consequences
    of their use.

Panel One

Larry Robinson, assistant secretary of Commerce for oceans and
    atmosphere/National Oceanic and Atmospheric .. Read More
    Environmental
    experts and advocates testified on the use of dispersants in the clean
    up of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, and possible unintended consequences
    of their use.

Panel One

Larry Robinson, assistant secretary of Commerce for oceans and
    atmosphere/National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Department
    of Commerce
    Lisa P. Jackson, administrator, EPA
    Panel Two

Anne Rolfes, founding director, Louisiana Bucket Brigade

2 hours, 30 minutes | 0 Viewshttp://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/id/228408
    </blockquote>
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:05 am

deleted I love you

Last edited by spiritwarrior on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:17 am

BP And Feds Stonewalling Congress About Well
    Bore Integrity And BP Gulf Oil Spill Sea Floor Leaks

Posted
    by Alexander Higgins -
    July 14, 2010 at 5:31
    On July 2nd the Chairman of the Energy and Environment Subcommittee Rep.
    Ed Markey ordered BP to release any data of damage to the wellbore, sea
    floor leaks, and the time frame and design of the relief wells that BP
    is drilling
    It is a good thing he did because Reuters News has just reported that
    the blowout preventers that BP is using for both
    of the relief wells had critical flaws that caused them to fail initial
    testing
    <blockquote>(Reuters) – U.S. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar
    said in a memorandum that problems were identified “in recent weeks”
    with blowout preventers on BP Plc’s relief wells, which are seen as the
    only proven way to kill the Gulf of Mexico oil leak.

In a 29-page memo to Michael Bromwich, director of the Bureau of
    Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE) dated
    Monday, Salazar said “performance problems” with the blowout preventers
    were found when new testing requirements were imposed after the April 20
    blowout that preceded the gushing leak.
    The blowout preventers passed new tests after the problems were
    fixed, BOEMRE spokesman Nicholas Pardi said on Tuesday.
    The Department of the Interior “is closely monitoring the drilling of
    the relief wells to ensure safety,” Pardo said.
    Salazar said in the memo that the discovery provided “more evidence
    that prior testing requirements were inadequate.”</blockquote>
    While another catastrophe may have been diverted with the relief
    wells which experts
    warn could cause the well to leak an additional 240,000 barrels per day
    if they blow
    we are still not out of the woods yet.
    Experts are still warning that blown well casing and lack of well
    bore integrity could cause a
    massive underground blowout like the one that occurred during the IXTOC
    disaster
    Such an
    underground blowout or the existence of large leaks in the sea floor
    may even prevent the relief wells from working altogether
    That would mean that BP may never be able to stop the leaking well.
    If history serves as guide, and the parallels between this distaster
    and the IXTOC blowout are stunning, the well will cause an underground
    blowout when BP tries to shut in the well.
    Just like in this incident, during the IXTOC disaster the blowout
    preventer also failed during the initial blowout.
    Then, like now, they used a series of containment options none of
    which worked all that well until they installed a new device on the well
    can tried closing the well shut.
    During the IXTOC disaster when they capped the well shut, using a
    move similar to the one BP is planning to try now, the pressure in the
    IXTOC caused an underground blowout and led to oil and gas leaking
    though the cracks on the sea floor around the well.
    It should be noted however that even after the underground blowout
    and the resulting leaks in the sea floor during the IXTOC disaster the
    well was eventually closed by using two relief wells at the same time.
    The bottom line here is the risks of this operation are high and
    there are major concerns that the attempt by BP to cap the well could
    cause a massive underground blowout.
    As Washington’s blog points out the
    existing evidence already points to damage down the wellbore
    So you would imagine that BP and the Feds would be as transparent as
    possible and release all data about the condition of the well to public.
    Yet in a press release issued today Rep. Markey informs us that BP is stonewalling Congressional orders to
    release all data about the well bore integrity and leaks on the Gulf of
    Mexico sea floor near the leaking well
    <blockquote>With Pressure Tests Delayed, Chairman Renews Call for
    Information on Potential Hazards
    WASHINGTON (July 14, 2010) – Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.)
    today renewed his request to BP to release information on the integrity
    of the wellbore and sea floor leaks, especially in light of the delayed
    attempt to conduct pressure tests on the new containment cap system for
    the BP Macondo well. These efforts were delayed, at least in part,
    because of the need to review seismic data — which could provide
    information about the integrity of the wellbore — from around the well
    site.

Rep. Markey had originally requested this information on June 23rd,
    several weeks prior to this test, and has still not received any answers
    which might shed light on the current potential path of shutting in the
    well using the new cap system as well as with challenges that could be
    encountered as BP attempts to permanently stop the flow of oil and gas
    using a relief well. Rep. Markey also sent a letter to Thad Allen asking
    for information provided to Incident Command on these matters.</blockquote>
    BP’s response to the order from congress was to totally ignore the
    orders of the investigational committee led Rep. Markey’s committee to
    release the data regarding damaged well casing and leaks from cracks in
    the seafloor.
    Markey is now once again demanding that BP release the data to
    congress and has ordered BP to comply within 48 hours in a letter sent
    to BP today.
    Here is the contents of Representative Markey’s letter to BP Chief Tony Hayward once again demanding the
    release of data on the well bore integrity data and information about
    leaks on the sea floor
    <blockquote>Dear Mr. Hayward:
    On June 23, 2010, I wrote to you specifically “requesting information
    relating to the integrity of the wellbore and casing of the Deepwater
    Horizon leak site.” As I mentioned in that letter, which is attached,
    there has been speculation that the casing and wellbore may have been
    damaged and that leaks of oil may be coming up through the seafloor or
    through the pipe itself.
    In fact, on June 17, 2010, Admiral Thad Allen noted that “we don’t
    know if the wellbore has been compromised or not. One of the reasons we
    did not continue with top kill at higher pressures, there was a concern
    that if we increased the pressure too hard we might do damage to the
    casings and the wellbore. What we didn’t want was open communication of
    any oil from the reservoir outside the wellbore that might get into the
    foundation and work its way to the subsea floor and then result in
    uncontrolled discharge at that point.”
    BP has now installed the three ram capping stack on the Deepwater
    Horizon Lower Marine Riser Package. BP now plans on closing the vents on
    this capping stack and conducting pressure testing to determine if the
    well can safely be shut in. Pressure readings will be used to determine
    if sufficient well integrity exists and a determination will be made
    whether it is safe to completely shut in the well or whether additional
    oil collection should continue in order to relieve pressure on the well.
    Question 3 of my June 23″’ letter asked BP for information needed to
    better understand what is known about the condition of the wellbore and
    about reports of sea floor leaks. It asks the following:
    “Please provide documents related to the condition of the wellbore.
    a. Has BP attempted to determine whether the casing inside the wellbore
    has been damaged and if so, what were the results? Please provide all
    measurements, images, and other documents related to the condition of
    the wellbore, as well as any future plans for such measurements going
    forward.
    b. Has BP confirmed or attempted to confirm the presence of
    hydrocarbons leaking from anywhere other than the containment cap? If
    so, what were the results? Please provide all related documents.
    c. Has BP surveyed the vicinity of the well to look for any leaks
    from the sea floor? If so, what area was surveyed? Please provide all
    measurements, images, and other documents related to any survey(s) to
    identify hydrocarbon leakage from the sea floor. If no survey has been
    performed, why not?”
    On July 2, 2010, attorneys for BP responded in pan to my letter,
    however BP did not in any way respond to Question 3 as quoted above. My
    staff followed up on this issue with your representatives during the
    first week of July (as acknowledged in a response from David Merlot of
    the law of Wilmer Hale dated July 9, 2010). Still, no information
    regarding these fundamental questions of well integrity has yet been
    provided to me or the Committee.
    I am writing to reiterate the importance of providing the
    Subcommittee and the public with this information immediately. The
    Committee understands that BP is focused on capping the well and
    preventing the further flow of oil and gas into the Gulf of Mexico.
    Nevertheless, the discharge of those responsibilities does not obviate
    the need for BP to promptly comply with requests for information by the
    Congress. That is particularly the case when the information in question
    is well­ known to BP and has in all likelihood already been shared with
    executive branch agencies. A delay of more than three weeks regarding
    this crucial information and during this critical time period is simply
    not acceptable.
    Since my staff requested from BP staff further information on these
    questions last Wednesday, I therefore request that you provide your
    response within the next 48 hours.
    In addition, I expect that BP will provide full answers to all the
    questions in my original letter in a timely manner. If you have any
    questions or concerns, please have your staff contact Dr. Michal
    Freedhoff of the Energy and Environment Subcommittee staff at
    202-225-2836.</blockquote>
    In the BP’s response to Markey’s initial order to release the data BP
    revealed that the Executive Branch of the Federal Government, which
    includes the Coast Guard, is already in posses ion of the data that
    Markey’s committee is seeking.
    Given the fact that the Coast Guard already has the information that
    Congress is seeking and yet neither the Coast Guard or BP is releasing
    it to Congress makes the Feds just as guilty as BP of stonewalling the
    release of the data.
    Markey has also now issued a formal letter to the Coast Guard
    requesting the release of the data.
    Here is the plain text of Representative Markey’s letter to Thad Allen requesting the release of
    any and all data on the integrity of the well bore and any information
    about sea floor leaks
    Dear Admiral Allen:
    BP has now installed the three ram capping stack on the Deepwater
    Horizon Lower Marine Riser Package. BP now plans on closing the vents on
    this capping stack and conducting pressure testing to determine if the
    well can safely be shut in. Pressure readings will be used to determine
    if sufficient well integrity exists and a determination will be made
    whether it is safe to completely shut in the well or whether additional
    oil collection should continue in order to relieve pressure on the well.
    In the past, you have raised questions about wellbore integrity. On
    Jime 17, 2010, you noted that “we don’t know if the wellbore has been
    compromised or not. One of the reasons we did not continue with top kill
    at higher pressures, there was a concem that if we increased the
    pressure too hard we might do damage to the casings and the wellbore.
    What we didn’t want was open communication of any oil from the reservoir
    outside the wellbore that might get into the formation and work its way
    to the subsea floor and then result in uncontrolled discharge at that
    point.”
    At today’s press conference you raised similar issues and suggested
    that the pressure readings will help to determine the advisability of
    shutting in the well, stating that:
    <blockquote>“I think we are very confident we can take control of
    this hydrocarbon stream and then slowly close all these valves and stop
    the emission of hydrocarbons. What we can’t tell is the current
    condition of the well bore below the sea floor and the implication of
    the pressure readings. That is in fact why we’re doing a well integrity
    test.”</blockquote>
    In light of the importance of understanding the situation regarding
    wellbore integrity, I am asking that the Coast Guard provide the
    Subcommittee with additional information regarding wellbore integrity at
    the Deepwater Horizon site. Specifically, I would like to know:

1. What information, if any, has BP provided to the Coast Guard
      regarding well bore integrity at the site?
    2. What documents does the Coast Guard have regarding well integrity
      and the decision to stop the top kill procedure?
    3. Did BP and the Coast Guard reach any conclusions regarding well
      integrity based on the failure of the top kill procedure?
    4. Please provide us with all correspondence, including electronic
      correspondence, between the Coast Guard and BP, relating to wellbore
      integrity at the Deepwater Horizon site.
    5. What risk does full and complete shut in of the well for an extended
      period of time pose for wellbore integrity?
    6. You first mentioned the possibility of shutting in the well in your
      July 2 press briefing. When did BP first suggest that the well could be
      shut in? What did the government do to assess this procedure?

Thank you very much for your attention to this important matter.
    Please provide your response within 10 working days or not later than
    July 27. If you have any questions or concerns, please have your staff
    contact Dr. Michal Freedhoff of the Energy and Environment Subcommittee
    staff at 202-225-2836
    Sincerely, Edward J. Markey Chairman Subcommittee on Energy and Environment
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:21 am

Federal Government Witholds Data From
    Scientists Citing Litigation With BP, Yet Gives BP Data Immediately

Posted
    by
    http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2010/07/14/federal-government-witholds-data-scientists-citing-litigation-bp-bp-data-immediately/ -
    July 14, 2010 at 4:17 am
    An investigative report on the Huffington Post
    revealed that the Federal Government’s claims that it can not release
    data to the public and scientists studying the impact of the the BP Gulf
    Oil Spill due to litigation with BP just don’t add up.
    The Huffington Post has revealed that the critical data the
    Government says it can’t release to the public due to the litigation is
    actually being turned over to BP as soon as it is collected, catching
    the Government in an outright lie.
    <blockquote>The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is
    hoarding vast amounts of raw data that independent marine researchers
    say could help both the public and scientists better understand the
    extent of the damage being caused by the massive BP oil spill in the
    Gulf of Mexico.
    In most cases, NOAA insists on putting the data through a ponderous,
    many-weeks-long vetting process before making it public.
    In other cases, NOAA actually intended to keep the data secret
    indefinitely. But officials told the Huffington Post on Tuesday that
    they have now decided to release it — though when remains unclear.
    BP, incidentally, gets to see all this data right away.
    At issue are test results from a series of research missions
    conducted by NOAA or NOAA-sponsored ships exploring the extent and
    effect of oil beneath the surface of the Gulf. Due to the leak’s depth
    and the unprecedented use of dispersants, much of the oil is thought to
    have spread in gigantic undersea plumes, potentially adding a huge,
    so-far mostly invisible toll to the
    devastation so obviously manifesting itself along the nation’s Gulf
    shore.
    Despite early urgent warnings from
    independent scientists that oil suspended in the water column is likely
    killing wide swaths of sea life in the short run — and possibly
    endangering marine animals and coastlines for decades to come — NOAA
    was slow to send out research vessels to probe the extent of the
    problem, and even slower to confirm it.
    NOAA eventually sent out a half dozen ships packed with scientists,
    on back-to-back research missions. But the only detailed results so far made public
    were collected during a single mission that ended in late May —
    almost two months ago. And some data — including from the very first
    research vessel to take underwater tests, the Jack Fitz — wasn’t slated to
    be released at all, because it’s part of what NOAA calls its Natural
    Resources Damage Assessment (NRDA).
    NRDA data is traditionally kept close to the vest until potentially
    adversarial legal wranglings are over. But in this case, the obvious
    lead defendant, BP, is part of the Joint Incident Command, to whom all
    the raw data is being turned over immediately.</blockquote>
    After the Huffington Post launched it’s inquiry into the matter the
    Federal Government has back pedaled on its previous statements that it
    was keeping information confidential because of litigation and will now
    release it to the public, but would not give any time frames on when.
    <blockquote>NOAA officials told the Huffington Post on Tuesday that,
    in a turnaround, they will now be making NRDA data public — but they
    offered no timeline for that process.
    In a statement to the Huffington Post, NOAA officials insisted that
    they are working as hard as they can to get the public accurate data, as
    fast as possible. “We understand the public’s need for answers and
    consider it our responsibility to help provide those answers,” NOAA
    spokesman Justin Kenney wrote in an e-mail. “Our commitment is to do
    what it takes to provide the right answers. Doing so requires upholding
    the highest standards of data quality and analysis to ensure our
    conclusions are correct. This process does take time, but we are doing
    everything we can to make quality data available in a timely fashion,
    to responders, our scientific partners, and to the public.”</blockquote>
    It is not just the public that is fed up with the run around and the
    constant stream of lies from the Government but the scientists trying to
    research and monitor the impact of the spill are now getting frustrated
    as well.
    <blockquote>But when it comes to data about what’s going on under the
    surface, some marine researchers are fed up with NOAA’s slow-walk
    policy.
    “It’s not about science, it’s about what their responsibility is to
    the public,” said Vernon Asper, a professor of marine science at the
    University of Southern Mississippi.
    “We want to find out what the impact is going to be. In order to do
    that, we need to find out as much as possible about what’s happening to
    the oil, and make as many measurements as we possibly can.”
    Asper was part of a team of scientists aboard the Pelican,
    one of the first research vessels to test for oil under the surface —
    and, it should be noted, to report the existence of underwater plumes.
    “What I’d like to see is the data released as soon as possible, with
    the proper qualifications, in the interest of openness and especially
    in the interest of allowing scientists like myself to plan our work. To
    plan our sampling, we need to know what they’ve found,” Asper told the
    Huffington Post.</blockquote>
    So don’t be surprised the next time we have a massive oil spill and
    the Government doesn’t have any answers to give besides “We don’t know”.
    On of the major issues that the Government is withholding data about
    is test results of oxygen depletion in the waters.
    Oxygen depletion in the Gulf from the BP Gulf Oil Spill is now
    confirmed to have caused a massive
    dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico where no life can survive
    Scientists know that the existing dead zone will only grow larger as
    more oil continues to spew into the Gulf of Mexico and other dead zones
    are likely to appear in more places.
    The scientists are frustrated that the Government is stifling
    research efforts with the refusal to release important data about such a
    critical issue.
    <blockquote>Scientists are primarily searching for signs of oil in
    the water and the consequent depletion of oxygen. Calibrating oxygen
    measurements is apparently a consistent challenge, and researchers
    typically don’t release data until they’ve accounted for any
    inconsistencies.
    Asper gets that. But, he said, “even if their results are off by 10
    or 20 percent because of calibration or something, that still helps me.
    That’s the kind of information that’s required.” In this case, he said,
    “my view on that would be: Go ahead and release the data but say:
    ‘These don’t agree. We haven’t figured this out, but here they are
    anyway.’ It’s still totally useful information.”
    And Asper expressed frustration about one issue in particular: “If BP
    can see the data,” he asked, “why can’t the taxpayers see it?”

There are two main goals when it comes to sub-surface testing. One is
    to get a better sense of how much oil has spilled; another is to get a
    better sense of what it’s doing to sea life. When it comes to the
    latter, the key indicator involves oxygen levels, and the fear is that
    the oil will turn regions of the Gulf hypoxic, when means the water
    would have insufficient dissolved oxygen levels to sustain living
    aquatic organisms.
    As it happens, the Northern Gulf already develops a large, hypoxic “dead
    zone”
    every summer, on account of all the nitrogen from
    sewage or fertilizer flowing down the Mississippi River.
    Scientists testing for subsea oil have found depleted levels of
    oxygen, but the good news is that so far, none of them have come close
    to hypoxia, according to Wanninkhof — who, unlike the rest of us, is
    seeing the raw data.
    He warns that those levels could still go down, however, as microbes
    start to eat the oil in earnest, and in doing so deplete oxygen.
    And Asper, the marine scientist from Southern Mississippi, warns
    that, at the depths where the plumes are mostly being found, even a
    slight reduction in oxygen could have serious and very long-lasting
    consequences.
    “The water at great depths hasn’t been on the surface in a long
    time,” he said. “It’s old water” that rose to the surface in
    Antarctica, perhaps hundreds of years ago, got chilled, and spread out
    along the ocean floor. Just as it hasn’t seen the surface in a long
    time, Asper said, “this water that’s down there won’t get back to the
    surface of the ocean for probably hundreds of years longer.”
    So to the extent that oxygen levels there are depleted, he said,
    “it’s quite likely that oxygen will stay low for a long time.”</blockquote>
    Some what ironically the only people who have a real idea of the
    critical data that scientists need are lawyers who have forced the data
    to be released during the discovery process of the lawyer’s lawsuits
    against BP.
    <blockquote>By contrast, right now that duty is being taken up by
    other, more self-interested parties. “The best way to find out,
    ironically, what all the research is that’s going on,” Leifer said, are
    lists being compiled by law firms — by plaintiffs’ attorneys preparing
    to sue BP for damages in civil suit.
    “There are some legal teams that have created extensive, detailed
    lists of exactly who’s doing everything,” Leifer said. “It’s not
    possible from my knowledge to find that information from government
    sources in any easy fashion.”</blockquote>
    Scientists are also telling the Huffington Post that it is not just
    NOAA that is withholding the data from the public, but the information
    blackout is coming from all branches of the Government involved in the
    oil spill.
    <blockquote>Meanwhile, the government is working alongside BP, which,
    as Leifer put it, “may want areas of non-knowledge.”
    Indeed, BP, which faces a potentially enormous per-barrel fine, has
    no incentive to measure the amount of oil leaked with any precision
    whatsoever. Nor does it have any desire for the public to become too
    acutely aware of the vast amounts of oil it has been able to keep
    largely hidden beneath the surface, in part due to its controversial use
    of dispersants.
    Rick Steiner, a marine conservationist who studied the effect of the
    Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska, sees NOAA’s behavior as part of a larger
    trend. “It’s my sense that all federal agencies are withholding
    information at this point on this spill, and this includes Coast Guard,
    EPA, Department of Interior, and certainly NOAA,” he told the
    Huffington Post.
    “And there’s an overwhelming public interest that the public knows
    everything that the government knows about this at this point. So we
    need a new paradigm for how to handle public information in these sorts
    of disasters, and there’s no better place to start than right here
    right now.”</blockquote>
    There has also been specific outcry from scientists complaining about
    a NOAA issued gag order that is muzzling them from warning the public
    and the press about the dangers discovered during the course of their
    research.
    <blockquote>Another factor at play when it comes to the dissemination
    of data is the apparent lack of clarity about the circumstances under
    which NOAA scientists are allowed to speak to the media.
    Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, a whisteblowers
    group, on Monday demanded
    that NOAA lift its “gag order muzzling NOAA scientists.”
    And some scientists contacted by HuffPost over the past few weeks
    have said they were explicitly told they could not talk to reporters
    without permission from NOAA’s public affairs office. “That’s what I’ve
    been told, that I’m supposed to direct any media contacts to the
    media,” one scientist said on Monday.
    But NOAA officials say that this is a misunderstanding of the actual rules. Although the wording
    of those rules — which dates back to the Bush administration — is
    ambiguous in places, Kenney, the NOAA spokesman, insisted that the
    policy “clearly states that NOAA’s scientists are free to speak to the
    media.”
    NOAA Director Jane Lubchenco “has discussed the importance of open
    communication to employees on many occasions, including whenever she
    travels to our labs and science centers,” Kenney wrote in an e-mail.
    “[T]his is central to who she is as a scientist and NOAA administrator.”
    Kenney did not indicate, however, that NOAA officials were planning
    to take any action to clear up was is evidently some continued confusion
    in the ranks. Wrote Kenney: “Could our media policy be communicated
    better? Sure, that is always possible. Could it be clearer? No.”</blockquote>
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:26 am

deleted Water

Last edited by spiritwarrior on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:07 pm