tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Silent Spring

Floyd
    Floyd

Silent Spring Empty Silent Spring

Post  Floyd Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Rachel Carson and the Silent Spring
    mudra
    mudra

Silent Spring Empty Re: Silent Spring

Post  mudra Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Thank You Floyd.

Rachel Carson's book " Silent Spring " is available to read on Scribd:

Arrow http://www.scribd.com/doc/17680393/Rachel-Carson-Silent-Spring-1962

Love from me
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:24 am

That book was 50 years old last Saturday Mudras.

They dont make 'em like they used to.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:22 am

She was a great mind Floyd but sadly how much of her studies did actually reach through and change something in the way we use chemicals and pesticides ? The work in that field needs to go on and be carried by those who have Mother earth at heart.

Despite attempts by the chemical industry to dismiss Carson's science, her work is credited with beginning the American environmental movement, the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency, and the 1972 ban on DDT. The immediate response to Silent Spring was enormous. On publication day, September 27, 1962, the advance sales of Silent Spring totaled 40,000 copies and another 150,000 copies were sent to the Book of the Month Club. Carson's book educated many people about the dangers of indiscriminate pesticide use, and challenged them to become informed and to act. One grateful reader told Carson in a note, "I must thank you for your brilliant beginning in The New Yorker ... you make us readers understand our place in the world so much better ... I know that your great quiet eloquence will open many eyes and close many bottles."

Carson's eloquence did indeed close many bottles as her book was read by members of Congress and President Kennedy himself. At a press conference on August 29, 1962, a journalist asked the President if he had considered "asking the Department of Agriculture or the Public Health Service to take a closer look at ... the growing concern among scientists" about the possible long-term effects of DDT and other pesticides. Kennedy responded, "Yes, and I know they already are. I think particularly, of course, since Miss Carson's book."

The President quickly appointed his scientific advisor, Dr. Jerome B.Wiesner, to study the pesticide issue to produce a report containing recommendations for the use and regulation of pesticides in the United States. The President's Science Advisory Committee report, "The Use of Pesticides," issued on May 15, 1963, called for decreased use of toxic chemicals to chemical controls that were less persistent in the environment "until the publication of Silent Spring, people were generally unaware of the toxicity of pesticides."

Shortly after "The Use of Pesticides" was released, Rachel Carson appeared before the Senate Committee on Commerce where she suggested that a commission be established to deal with pesticide issues and to make decisions based on the broad public interest, rather than the profit interest of a few. The Commission that Carson envisioned lives on as the Environmental Protection Agency; it is "the extended shadow of Silent Spring," as an EPA journalist wrote on the fifteenth anniversary of the Agency. The purpose of this Agency is to protect, develop, and enhance the environment.

Many view "Silent Spring" as instrumental in the United States' decision to ban DDT. "The brown pelican might have disappeared from the Carolina coast -- indeed gone the way of the passenger pigeon, whose flocks once darkened the afternoon sky -- had it not been for a book (Silent Spring) that forever changed the way we look at pesticides," reported the Chapel Hill Herald on the twenty fifth anniversary of the book's publication.

While the ban on DDT has led to the recovery of many wildlife species, there remains controversy as to the benefits of the ban. Elizabeth Whelan, President of the industry-backed American Council on Science and Health, concedes Rachel Carson's work was significant to the ban. "The anti-DDT campaign had its origins in Rachel Carson's 1962 book "Silent Spring. " That book is generally credited (or blamed) with launching the modern environmental movement. DDT became the prime target of the growing anti-chemical movement of the 1960s."

Whelan's group, however, has questioned Carson's work in a report entitled "A Review of the Twenty Greatest Unfounded Health Scares of Present Times." The report lists the ban on DDT as one of these unfounded scares, because - in the opinion of the American Council on Science and Health - the benefits of DDT's power to kill insects who may carry diseases that threaten humans outweigh the chemical's effects on wildlife and humans. In addition, ACSH questions whether DDT effects wildlife and humans adversely at all.

Despite the 1972 DDT ban, the effects of the chemical continue to be evident in wildlife populations, according to some biologists. John Elliot, a researcher with the Canadian Wildlife Service in British Columbia, works with robins in the Okanagan fruit-growing region of British Columbia. These orchards have been sprayed with pesticides for 40 years. Elliot, who studies the long-term effects of DDT contamination on the birds, has found that the DDT levels in their eggs are remarkably higher than levels reported 20-25 years ago, which suggests that although DDT is not in use, the residue continues to affect these birds. He believes that many of the questions Rachel Carson raised require more rigorous follow up. "What are the real effects of DDT on the robins? Does it cause acute poisoning of adult birds, or does it have longer-term reproductive effects on their offspring?"

Rachel Carson anticipated these questions about the threats posed to reproduction by chemicals in the environment. "We are subjecting whole populations to exposure to chemicals which animal experiments have proved to be extrememly poisonous and in many cases cumulative in their effects. These exposures now begin at or before birth and - unless we change our methods - will continue through the lifetime of those now living."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/nature/disrupt/sspring.html

Love from me
    mudra

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 am

From Silent Spring to Silent Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4lijvIjpRw

"From Silent Spring to Silent Night," a talk by Prof. Tyrone Hayes,
    Department of Integrative Biology,
    University of California, Berkeley, given at Humphrey Institute in
    Minneapolis on March 23, 2007. Dr. Hayes is an authority on the
    effects of the pesticide atrazine on frogs, and is not popular with
    chemical companies for his views and proven research.

Love Always
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:08 am

mudra wrote:She was a great mind Floyd but sadly how much of her studies did actually reach through and change something in the way we use chemicals and pesticides ? The work in that field needs to go on and be carried by those who have Mother earth at heart.

Well these people (like Rachel Carson)are the ones doing the real work. Not the pseudo scientists, self proclaimed messiahs, closed groups with mysterious controllers and channelers treading the boards spreading their new religious spiel whilst pocketing a small fortune from dvds and workshops radio and video shows and internet sites.

Its not all bad news though Mudras Mudras

Thus when Silent Spring appeared, she already had a substantial audience, and the furore stirred up by the US chemical industry only served to boost it a thousandfold; by the end of 1962, three months after full publication, the book had sold half a million copies, and public opinion was solidly behind her. (It did nothing to hinder her cause that President John F Kennedy took her side and referred Silent Spring to his Science Advisory Committee, which the following year vindicated her stance.)

So the madness of the mass poison sprayings came to an end, and the robins and their song returned to America's spring; DDT was banned for agriculture in 1972 (although it remained in use for malaria prevention), and bans on dieldrin, aldrin and other substances followed.

Rachel Carson did not live to see it: she died of cancer in 1964. But her achievement was much more than to end a crazy and murderous assault upon nature, enormous though it was.

What she introduced to a mass audience for the first time, in explaining how the catastrophe was happening, was the idea of ecology, of the interconnectedness of all living things, of the connectedness between species and their habitats.

The pesticide falls on the leaf, and the leaf falls to the ground where it is consumed by worms, who also consume the pesticide; and robins consume the worms and consume the pesticide too, and so they die.

In showing how everything in the natural world was linked, she showed how humans were part of it too, and how human interference could wreck it, could wreck the balance of nature built up over billions of years.

read on
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/rachel-carson-the-green-revolutionary-7834921.html
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Floyd wrote:
    mudra wrote:She was a great mind Floyd but sadly how much of her studies did actually reach through and change something in the way we use chemicals and pesticides ? The work in that field needs to go on and be carried by those who have Mother earth at heart.

Well these people (like Rachel Carson)are the ones doing the real work. Not the pseudo scientists, self proclaimed messiahs, closed groups with mysterious controllers and channelers treading the boards spreading their new religious spiel whilst pocketing a small fortune from dvds and workshops radio and video shows and internet sites.

There are some great minds in this world that don't always find their names mentioned on conspiracy forums and yet they are really worth paying attention to. In the same way there are lacks and flaws in mainstream media news , there are lacks and flaws in mainstream forum news.

Don't know if you saw my post on the healing herbs thread Floyd :
    http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t2634-a-to-z-medicinal-healing-herbs-properties-and-uses#75188

Nice vid there about another great woman that loved the Earth.

Love for You
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks Mudra Mudras. I will take a look at that after lunch
    Double Thumbs Up

Meanwhile...

Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:50 am

mudra wrote:
    There are some great minds in this world that don't always find their names mentioned on conspiracy forums
    Don't know if you saw my post on the healing herbs thread Floyd :
    http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t2634-a-to-z-medicinal-healing-herbs-properties-and-uses#75188

Nice vid there about another great woman that loved the Earth.

Love for You
    mudra

Thats why they are great and the people getting passed around conspiracy forums on a daily basis are not.
    One Rachel Carson is worth 1 million David Wilcocks, a couple of Million Anna Hayes along with the rest of the usual suspects etc etc etc.

The unsung heroes kind of get on with their work without making a song and dance about it and without being focused on selling expensive products or massaging their egos or prophesying this and that and the other. The unsung heroes however are a different class.

For me, the new age and conspiratorial (and I use that term to define the modern breed of its spokespersons) Mafia ubiquitous on conspiracy forum offer nothing useful but display all the traits of everything that is wrong about spirituality and understanding the planetary dilemma. It has been called spiritual glamour somewhere.

The only thing we can learn from those kinds of people is that we can learn nothing from them.

The video of Julliete you posted was very interesting, resourceful and educational. What a women indeed. These are people that offer real knowledge and they are in tune with nature and the heartbeat of the planet.

It always good to have have a collection of homemade herbal and flower remedies in the cupboard. There is more to be gained from collecting various things wondering in the woods that are given freely than spending $145 on an ascension acceleration dvd workshop series by A.N.Other.

So thanks for posting this video.
    The best part is where she talks about man and bees with a deep look of foreboding in her eyes

I know a certain someone who is a Susan Weed nut!
    Cool
    Floyd
    Floyd

Silent Spring Empty The seeds of Suicide Vandana Shiva,

Post  Floyd Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

The Seeds of Suicide

Vandana Shiva,

http://sanhati.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/seeds-of-suicide.pdf

In what has been called the single largest wave of recorded suicides in human history, Indian farmers are now killing themselves in record numbers. It has been extensively reported, even in mainstream news, but nothing has been done about the issue. The cause? Monsanto’s cost-inflated and ineffective seeds have been driving farmers to suicide, and is considered to be one of the largest — if not the largest — cause of the quarter of a million farmer suicides over the past 16 years.

According to the most recent figures (provided by the New York University School of Law), 17,638 Indian farmers committed suicide in 2009 — about one death every 30 minutes. In 2008, the Daily Mail labeled the continual and disturbing suicide spree as ‘The GM (genetically modified) Genocide’. Due to failing harvests and inflated prices that bankrupt the poor farmers, struggling Indian farmers began to kill themselves. Oftentimes, they would commit the act by drinking the very same insecticide that Monsanto supplied them with — a gruesome testament to the extent in which Monsanto has wrecked the lives of independent and traditional farmers.

Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/monsantos-gmo-seeds-farmer-suicides-every-30-minutes/#ixzz1yZSmYXY1

Thanks Bill. Regards to your dad too. Planned Parenting indeed.

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:34 am

The 1080 poem: "You said it was safe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYZnQ0Mf90E

Sometimes our public servants need to hear the truth. In rhyme.

Thubs Up

Serendipitously I recently was invited to be on a panel alongside Dr Jan Wright, the New Zealand Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment, at Te Papa, the NZ national museum. We were asked to speak on our passions and thought leadership regarding Te Whenua - The Land. As PCE, Jan Wright issued a major report in 2011 enthusiastically endorsing the use of 1080 poison in NZ. 1080 is banned in many countries, severely restricted in most others, and classed as "Class 1A - extremely hazardous" (the highest possible toxicity rating) by the World Health Organization. The risks to wildlife and to humans are massive. Yet the NZ government tosses it across our country from helicopters as though it were candy. I live in the community of Golden Bay and many of us are sick of this highly toxic substance being dumped throughout the forested mountains that surround our community (as well as in the streams that supply many people's drinking water). So I took this opportunity to present Dr Wright with a special poem I wrote for her to express my feelings on the subject....

Both Dr Wright and I are alumni of the same scholarship program, which is how we got to be on this panel together. This poem is my own (Redwood Reider). Nothing in my speech is to be construed to represent the views of Te Papa or of the organisers of the event.

Filmed by Iron Lung Panda

Love Always
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Interesting mudras mudras.
    Thanks Thubs Up
    Aquaries1111
    Aquaries1111

Post  Aquaries1111 Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Wow Mudras...

Toward the end I was all emotional with your offer to share the community in the forest.. to drink from the streams and embrace each other.. This touched me so deeply I wished I was there... Thank you for touching a part of me that I myself rarely get to see... A wall did fall and the stream flows again.

You are beautiful.

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Aquaries these were not my words but those of sacred activist poet Redwood Reider.
    Here is another one she wrote:

Sacred Activist - Redwood Reider @ Luminate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-bDG5X5ZkQ

Enjoy Cheerful

Love from me
    mudra
    Aquaries1111
    Aquaries1111

Post  Aquaries1111 Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Why thank you Mudra... I never heard of Redwood Reider before.. what a treat.. and thank you for being the Runner for her work.. The connections in bond have still been made between us..

You are beautiful.

Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:56 am

In 1995 in their continuing bid to rid New Zealand of its possum pests, the Department of Conservation (DoC) dropped 1080 poison over a targeted area in the Marlborough Sounds. Early the next morning a number of concerned local residents went for a walk in the area; among them were Steve McCellan and Bine Witte.

“There was just silence,”
    said Steve. “It was as if the bush had gone into a state of shock. The dawn chorus should have been in full swing but there wasn’t even a fly buzzing. We all saw 1080 pellets in the streams and dead animals on the tracks; the only noises we could hear were trees creaking in the wind. Weka disappeared from the bay that day and it was eight years before they returned.”

http://www.organicexplorer.co.nz/Info/Articles+and+Resources/Making+conservation+a+business+strictly+for+eco-profit.html
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:55 pm

As part of this is this particular piece of music is entitled Silent Spring why not put here Mudras Mudras

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:30 am