tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+24
Vidya Moksha
Swanny
Pris
RedEzra
THEeXchanger
magamud
orthodoxymoron
Sanicle
FrankoL
rhythm
Beren
devakas
Micjer
malletzky
TRANCOSO
ClearWater
Carol
Floyd
Mercuriel
hippihillbobbi
mudra
bigmo
Nebula
greybeard
28 posters

Ego

greybeard
    greybeard

Ego - Page 12 Empty Re: Ego

Post  greybeard Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:44 am

Been a while but the Mists always in mind.
    Chris

Interview with Stephen Wolinsky from Science and Nonduality Anthology Vol.2

Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:45 am

Been reading over the last page or so of comments...

I don't like to think of anything as incomprehensible.  To me, that's limiting, and I'm not one for being limited.  I like to think anything is possible. Very Happy

Besides, there have been moments where I've felt a kind of universal comprehension.  It is very difficult to describe, but it is much like being at the 'center-point' of 'awareness'... if there is such a 'place'. cyclops

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:28 pm

Hello Chris,

Long time not seen.
    So nice to see you around.
    Thank You for popping by .

Hugs

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Pris wrote:.

Besides, there have been moments where I've felt a kind of universal comprehension.  It is very difficult to describe, but it is much like being at the 'center-point' of 'awareness'... if there is such a 'place'. cyclops

I think these states are difficult to describe because they are not experienced from the body buth directly through the awareness of pure being itself.

Love from me
    mudra
    greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks for the kind words Mudra You were always in mind--time just flies.

Stephen Wolinsky is about as deep into it as you can get.
    Bit hard to accept Here is another one

Advaita is Vedanta
    Stephen Wolinsky

Published on May 21, 2015

Advaita Is Vedanta: Part I of the Trilogy aims to dissolve or deconstruct, (neti neti) all states, stations and experiences. States of meditation oftentimes become “stuck” points that
    both “spiritual practitioners”as well as "teachers" unknowingly and habitually nest in.

Zen Saying:, (You never want to nest in any state”).

The second half on this YouTube focuses and delineates the vibrations "Prior to Consciousness" which both forms and solidifies the illusion of being, through what in Sanskrit is called Samskaras.

If you wish to download the Meditation CD, and/or the Corresponding Booklet and Notes from this film to use as a reference or guide, visit www.miragelibrary.com.

greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:04 am

The second part of the trilogy.
    Chris

greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:51 pm

Advaita is Vedanta Part 3
    Stephen Wolinsky

Published on Jun 17, 2016

Excerpts from Part 3 of the Advaita Is Vedanta Trilogy represents 20 of the 50 Older and Less Frequently asked questions.
    Advaita is Vedanta Part III begins upon returning from India in 1982 and teaching Kashmir Shaivism and Self-Enquiry.
    Part 3 concludes with the Absolute Prior to Consciousness,
    The Absolute Prior to Awareness and The Absolute Prior to the Absolute Nothingness.
    Once again, as you watch this YouTube or read the book please keep tucked away somewhere;

“All that is heard, (or that is about to be read, seen or heard)
    is non-existent”
    - Shankara

Much Love,
    Your Mirage Brother
    Stephen (Narayan)

This YouTube and all books and tapes are an offering at the feet and come through the Grace of my Guru and Mentor Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. May his Grace and Love blanket your heart and mind.

Nisargadatta Maharaj Ki Jay!

Advaits is Vedanta Part III: The Complete 50 Older and Less Frequently Asked Questions is available at amazon.com.

Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:29 pm

mudra wrote:
    Pris wrote:.

I think these states are difficult to describe because they are not experienced from the body buth directly through the awareness of pure being itself.

Love from me
    mudra

Yes... indeed. I love you
    greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:24 am

Published on Nov 14, 2016

In this video direct disciple of Papaji and Advaita Vedanta Master Mooji speaks about the root of all suffering: attachment to the I-thought. He advice us to investigate deep into the nature of 'I' and by and by detach from it. But listen yourself! Very recommendable!

What you are Ultimately is not a state--it just is --you can describe what it is not---ie subject and object.
    But your Self is beyond definition, beyond subject and object.

Neity neity helps--not this, not this--the process of elimination.

States come and go change--Self does not.

Chris
    greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:37 am

Rich Archeer

I was hesitant to put this up, because there’s more than enough of me on this site, but a few kind friends encouraged me to, so here it is. I gave this talk at the Open Circle Center in Berkeley, California on October 24, 2016. Points discussed include:

“Can knowledge of nonduality be scientifically understood, that is, systematically organized, tested, explained, and predicted? Science has not devised instruments capable of detecting the nondual nature of ultimate reality, but spiritual traditions discuss it extensively, and numerous followers of these traditions (and of no traditions) claim to have experienced it as their essential nature. This experience is commonly termed “awakening” or “enlightenment”.
    Is there a “scientific” consensus among these people? Are they referring to the same thing? Is there just one awakening, or are there many degrees of it? Buddhist, Hindu, and Christian mystical traditions tend to assert the latter. If there are many degrees or stages of awakening, do they culminate in an ultimate stage we might term “enlightenment”, or is there no ultimate? When one’s essential nature has been clearly and abidingly realized, has one reached a terminus, or do refinement, clarification, and other facets of development continue?
    If we see spiritual development as never-ending, will we be forever chasing the dangling carrot, or can we rest in our true nature, the seeking energy having dropped off, and yet acknowledge that compared with what might be possible, we are relative beginners?
    Many spiritual teachers make statements such as “This is it. You are That which you are seeking. Realize this, and you are finished.” Is such advice helpful, or does it short-change spiritual aspirants?”
    How might spirituality benefit from science, and vice versa?
    The consequences of science meddling with Laws of Nature without understanding the field in which they reside.
    The importance of understanding on the spiritual path.
    The seeming epidemic of spontaneous awakenings.

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Excellent Chris.
    I really enjoyed Rick Archer's reflection and appreciate his concept of spirituality being integral part of life itself.
    I think that is why I tend to appreciate the various topics discussed in forums like this one where spirituality finds its place amongst so many other subject matters pertaining to the world. One isn't separate from the other.

Thanks for sharing

Love from me
    mudra
    greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:57 pm

mudra wrote:Excellent Chris.
    I really enjoyed Rick Archer's reflection and appreciate his concept of spirituality being integral part of life itself.
    I think that is why I tend to appreciate the various topics discussed in forums like this one where spirituality finds its place amongst so many other subject matters pertaining to the world. One isn't separate from the other.

Thanks for sharing

Love from me
    mudra

Glad you enjoyed Rick.

Love Chris
    greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:33 am

What Is Awakening? — An interview with Sri Mooji

Swanny
    Swanny

Post  Swanny Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:35 am

What Is Awakening?

Realizing that you are creating your life and everything in it alien
    greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:50 am

Swanny wrote:What Is Awakening?

Realizing that you are creating your life and everything in it alien

Thats true Swanny.

Chris
    greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:35 am

Jeffery Martin - Buddha at the Gas Pump Interview

Dr. Jeffery A. Martin is a founder of the Transformative Technology space, and a social scientist who researches personal transformation and the states of greatest human well-being. He’s spent the last decade conducting the largest international study on persistent non-symbolic experience (PNSE), which includes the types of consciousness commonly known as: enlightenment, nonduality, the peace the passeth understanding, transcendental consciousness, unitive experience, and hundreds of others. More recently, he has used this research to make systems available to help people obtain profound psychological benefits in a rapid, secular, reliable, and safe way.

His research began with over 1,000 individuals who claimed to experience PNSE. This resulted in a reliable, cross-cultural and pan-tradition classification system for these types experience. Jeffery’s current work involves helping people use what’s been learned to make the life-changing transformation into PNSE. His most recent study achieved strong validation, with over 70% of participants reaching ongoing non-symbolic experience in less than 4 months. His interest in Transformative Technology comes from a belief that findings like his can be translated into mass consumer technologies and affect billions of lives worldwide. Since 2008 he has worked to bring together the stakeholders from academia, technology, business, finance, and public policy to create a sustainable technology space that dramatically improves human well-being.

A bestselling author and award-winning educator, Jeffery has authored, co-authored, or co-edited over 20 books and numerous other publications. His work has regularly been featured at leading academic conferences worldwide, as well as major public forums such as Deepak Chopra’s Sages and Scientists Symposiums, Wisdom 2.0, the Science and Nonduality Conference, the Asia Consciousness Festival, and TEDx. He has been covered in media as diverse as Fast Company, the South China Morning Post, and PBS’s Closer to Truth, and been an invited speaker at many leading universities including: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, University of California, University of London, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, and the National University of Singapore.

Jeffery’s academic work lies at the intersection of technology, psychology, cognitive science, neuroscience, and transformative studies. His research on non-symbolic consciousness began while he was a graduate student in Transformative Studies at CIIS and Psychology at Harvard. He is the Founding Director of the Center or the Study of Non-Symbolic Consciousness and a Research Professor and Director of the Transformative Technology Lab at Sofia University. In addition to these, he holds a number of additional appointments across a variety of institutions worldwide, and serves on many advisory boards.

Websites:

drjefferymartin.com

greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:40 am

Published on Feb 6, 2017

Also see https://batgap.com/mari-peron/

Mari Perron tells us she’s delighted that A Course of Love has granted her a voice in the new dialogue that has opened about who we are as human and divine beings. She feels that the wisdom of the heart—a major focus of A Course of Love—has at times been missing from the conversation, and loves being able to speak for both the heart and the “human.” A question asked within A Course of Love is this: Doesn’t it make sense that the only error possible is that of not being who you are?

Mari is called the “first receiver” of this Course that was given as an extension of what was begun in A Course in Miracles. A Course in Miracles was recorded by Helen Schucman in the late 60’s and early 70’s. Helen was called a scribe of the words of Jesus which, since that time, have gone out to millions of people all over the world. A Course in Miracles was stated to be a course in thought reversal and mind training.

Within A Course of Love, which Mari received between 1998 and 2001, Jesus calls Mari its “first” receiver and says that each person who lets it enter their heart is a receiver as well. Its stated purpose is a return to a true identity that existed prior to the time of learning, and it calls for learning to end.

Mari feels that in a world that has told us everything we need to know can be known with our minds and/or learned from teachers, experts and gurus, we’ve often felt discouraged from listening to our hearts or trusting our inner knowing. A Course of Love offers a new way of knowing and invites us to enter dialogue and become creators of the new.

Originally published as three separate books, A Course of Love has now been combined into one volume, which includes The Course, The Treatises, and The Dialogues. Since this new publication a few years ago, it has found acceptance with many in the ACIM community, and, like A Course in Miracles, begun to inspire people around the world.

Mari lives in St. Paul, Minnesota where she is a writer and contemplative as well as an engaged mother and grandmother.

Websites:
    http://acourseoflove.org
    http://www.centerforacourseoflove.org/

Books: A Course of Love: Combined Volume A Course of Love: The Course A Course of Love: An Overview

greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 am

Nicola Amadora - Buddha at the Gas Pump Interview

Nicola Amadora Ph.D. traveled far on her search for the truth of life and real love. The fire was burning strong, as her upbringing had been fraught with intense abuse and horrors. When 18 years old, she worked with Mother Theresa in Calcutta, studied with Tibetan Monks, meditated in Hindu Ashrams, and lived with the indigenous people in the Amazon. She learnt from living saints, nature and people on the street. Later she became a Dharma teacher in the Vipassana Tradition, an Interfaith Minister, a Transpersonal Psychologist and Hakomi Therapist. As a single mother she raised a daughter and led an educational center, which united spirituality with our humanity, leadership, relationship and activism. Her life and work is a rich banquet, one which includes many facets of life.
    Nicola’s awakenings occurred alone in the wilderness and on busy city roads, always with the call to integrate and embody it in daily life. On her journey she experienced immense wonders and terrors, held in an ever-growing sense of love. But one day, when literally everything in her life was ruthlessly stripped away, in sheer despair and finally surrender, she felt a deep merging and all came rushing home. Human and divine was not separated, but one in the heart of life.
    Nicola speaks from the juicy voice of the feminine, she does not claim to be enlightened, but rather walks her talk as a mystic in ordinary life. She teaches from deep love and alive presence – one that embraces the muck and beauty of this life and dares to stand and act in this world to make a difference. Nicola offers spiritual retreats, professional trainings, individual sessions, and public talks. She writes and supports people to come home and embody who we are – in the world and with each other – to let love live us, in the midst of the whole enchilada, no matter what is going on.
    Book: Nothing but Love: Poetry
    CD’s:
    Meditations for Life
    Return to the Heart

t
    greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Sheikh Burhanuddin ‘The Journey Of A Modern Sufi Mystic’ Interview by Iain McNay

Published on Feb 19, 2017

Sheikh Burhanuddin talks about his fascinating journey and experiences along his way to become a Sheikh under the guidance of his master, Sheikh Nazim. From an early age when he was very drawn to be in nature he soon committed his life to finding a master who could guide him on his path. His spent time on different ‘seclusions’ which were very influential and helpful him with many realizations. He also had a session with spiritual healer Stephen Turoff which triggered a very deep state which lasted for nearly 3 years. He goes on to explain the Uwaysi System which is now an integral part of his teaching.

Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:30 am

greybeard wrote:

“Can knowledge of nonduality be scientifically understood, that is, systematically organized, tested, explained, and predicted? Science has not devised instruments capable of detecting the nondual nature of ultimate reality, but spiritual traditions discuss it extensively, and numerous followers of these traditions (and of no traditions) claim to have experienced it as their essential nature. This experience is commonly termed “awakening” or “enlightenment”.

I havent been so often in the mists these last years, and I havent watched any of the videos or followed up any of the books above.

I can offer some insight into these discussions from personal experience. Have a read through what I just posted in the hatha yoga section - i do realise it wasnt the correct place to post it, but it is there nonetheless.

wow? where to start.
    1. I dont know Mooji or anything he has written etc but I can disagree with a quote attributed to him above, "Advaita Vedanta Master Mooji speaks about the root of all suffering: attachment to the I-thought."
    The "I thought" has nothing at all to do with the end of suffering, that process occurs much earlier on the path. It is the loss of egotism, the i-want or i-dont want ego that results in the end of suffering. This egotism is what the yogis call asmita
    I have no experience of losing the I-am ego, it was with me through out my experience of advaita and samadhi, i was always 'me', even though I had no egotism.  I-am ego is called 'ahem' in yoga. I have never lost 'ahem' and I have been to pretty far fetched places! I have lost asmita, and advaita resulted from my loss.
    I guess that could also be what Mooji means by his I thought, he means 'I want? I dont want? I like, dont like' etc. these I-thoughts are certainly the root of suffering

2. Enlightenment is a non-word, it is far too nebulous to be used in any meaningful context. It has no translation. It is probably (mis)used mostly to describe advaita.

3. 'Awakening' is likewise nebulous, but it might mean 'Attaining buddha-consciousness', which is advaita.  Better avoided as a term though.

4. Achieving Advaita is the HUGE shift in consciousness, to an 'alien' state. It is not possible to confuse this state, it is a paradigm shift in awareness - see my full description of this state in the hatha yoga section. This is the 'passing through a veil'.

5. Advaita and samadhi are the start of the next stage, there is no end when you reach them, you just have to figure the world from the alien perspective of non-duality, probably blissed out during the experience.

6. At the risk of offending Theravada Buddhists everywhere I doubt Buddha made 'nirvana', but yogananda did! Buddha's 'enlightenment' was almost certainly achieving advaita, to my experience of these things.
    greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:13 pm

Dear VM
    thanks for your post.
    True that enlightenment and other terms are not definative, the meaning is not agreed upon.

However with non-duality there is no one to become enlightened--never was--enlightenment could mean removal of ignorance.
    The ignorance in believing there is an individual--a person separate from all that is.

Nirvana is define as extinction or death--

One challenge is that teachers meet students where they stand so one quote can be for a specific student--they might say some thing else to another.

Ramana Maharshi said "Neither creation nor dissolution occurred"
    Mooji is of that lineage.

Nisargadatta and others have said "you are not the doer"
    "Events happen deeds are done there is no doer there of"

All are entitled to their opinion and experience.

I would not disagree with anyone though my own experiences may give rise to different concepts.

Concepts have to released --smiling to myself.

Chris

Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:22 pm

greybeard wrote:

However with non-duality there is no one to become enlightened--never was--enlightenment could mean removal of ignorance.
    The ignorance in believing there is an individual--a person separate from all that is.

I would not disagree with anyone though my own experiences may give rise to different concepts.

Definitions are always the problem arent they, we are all describing the same elephant from our own world view.

I can disagree with you though ! :) There IS someone home in advaita, non duality as I have described (and my definitions are consistent) does not achieve the loss of AHEM. only the loss of asmita.

what you are referring to, 'no-one' is the loss of ahem, and this does not occur in advaita.

I dont know what to call the state where one is 'free' from ahem, it is beyond my experience. If you have experienced this state perhaos you could define it as separate from advaita, I would like to know!

we can discuss dictionary definitions all day, enlightenment in a mystical sense is still meaningless Wink

same with 'spiritual' really, relating to third eye? spirit, astral, dreams. most folk mean 'mystical' and should use mysticism and not spiritualism, but hey, we back to the old chambers dictionary again :)
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:30 pm

greybeard wrote:
    Ramana Maharshi said "Neither creation nor dissolution occurred"
    Mooji is of that lineage.
    I have no experience of this state ^

greybeard wrote:
    Nisargadatta and others have said "you are not the doer"
    "Events happen deeds are done there is no doer there of"

this ^ is consistent with advaita, but there is still a 'you' to experience it, even though you are not the doer!! almost a zen koan that one lol
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:44 pm

greybeard wrote:

removal of ignorance is moksha, though other terms could also be used, depending on which state has been released, so why use 'enlightenment to confuse, when the process is already defined?
    greybeard
    greybeard

Post  greybeard Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:14 pm

I have posted here a video which is where my belief of the moment lies.
    Its one of a trilogy
    Stephen Wolinsky Is I feel worth listening to.
    You may disagree ---I just share what I find helpful---though some of my posts may feature videos I don't fully agree with but parts maybe useful.

Namaste

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:05 am