tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

Rain Water Collection

sjkted
    sjkted

Rain Water Collection Empty Rain Water Collection

Post  sjkted Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi All,

I'm just getting started with rainwater collection with 2 55-gallon barrels. My house would appear to support 4 or 5 collection stations based on the gutter system.

For the other people who are doing this, I'm curious if you have kept any statistics or done any math calculations on how self-sufficient you are with water.

For example, I know my area gets 40 days of rain a year on average and 10 inches average rain fall. I suppose my goal is to figure out the square footage of the roof area I am using and determine the amount of water I should be collecting to see how much water I am collecting and how self-sufficient I will be and if I need to purchase additional barrels. If nothing happens, water here is expensive and I won't have to pay the utility company to water my garden.

One of the obvious problems in this is that in the winter I can just go outside, scoop up some snow and put it in a pot on the fireplace and can probably keep doing this without running out and OTH the rain in the summer is pretty limited.

Anyone else gone this route? I would be interested in hearing from others on this.

--sjkted

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 2:36 pm