tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

Canada's Proposed Antiterrorism Act C-51

Jenetta
    Jenetta

Canada's Proposed Antiterrorism Act C-51 Empty Canada's Proposed Antiterrorism Act C-51

Post  Jenetta Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:00 am

February 20, 2015

Ottawa: after some delay the NDP's Thomas Mulcair has decided to object to Bill C-51, the Harper government's most recent attempt to fight "terrorism" by depriving Canadians of basic human rights. Elizabeth May of the Green Party has stated the bill ought to be scrapped. The Liberals' Justin Trudeau has supported the bill and now suggests that after he's elected etc. he will assure some oversight to secret police powers the bill sets in motion. In particular the bill attacks the freedom of speech, with the power to interpret any written or oral statement as supportive to "terrorism" if it's deemed threatening to Canada's security or financial welfare, or vulnerable to a legal technicality. There appears to be no way to counter a covert judgement that one's writings, actions, convictions, are detrimental to Canadian policies, which then allows the full range of covert retribution (short of murder and rape) but not excluding the destruction of career, family, reputation, ability to find work, etc..
    On February 19th former Prime Ministers Jean Chrétien, Joe Clark, Paul Martin, and John Turner, Former Supreme Court Justices Louise Arbour, Michel Bastarache, Ian Binnie, Claire L’Heureux Dubé, and John Major, former Ministers of Justice Irwin Cotler, Marc Lalonde, and Anne McLellan, among 22 highly respected Canadians declared Canada's need for direct controls on its security establishment, which are precisely lacking in Bill C-51's attempted expansion of secret police powers.

See Key Aspects Of The Bill "Short Primer" by Craig Forcese: https://vimeo.com/120103590

I have prepared a short 15 min primer on the more controversial aspects of C-51, the Canadian governments proposed "anti-terror" law. If you have 15 minutes to figure this bill out, I hope this helps. For those who want more details, I will produce a more detailed version next week.

My discussion relates to the Bill as it exists at 2nd reading in the House of Commons, Feb 18, 2015.

(In two spots, I misspoke and say C-59. I am always referring to C-51.)

Detailed backgrounders can be found at www.antiterrorlaw.ca

Gerald and Maas notes: we believe Bill C-51 presents an emergency for the Canadian people. A quote from Craig Forcese's "Short Primer" (above): CSIS may come to judges asking them to bless in advance Constitutional breaches. The proceedings will be secret. Only the Government will be represented. There is no appeal mechanism. The person affected will not know about it. They may never know who caused the problems that they then would encounter. That's because the whole thing is covert [8:55]. Our family moved to Canada from the States after about thirty years as victims of what we think was COINTELPRO: covert government persecution. We never got to know why. We never got to know why I was falsely arrested four times without warning or cause. Or why the police death threats were never investigated. We never got to know who could slip the locks on our homes and take papers and I.D., over an extended period in several states, once leaving a broken lockpick in the door. We never got to know who banned each of us from our careers. We never got to know who cut the brake cables, or punctured the gas tank, or knocked out the starting motor, on days I had to drive to Freedom-to-Write Committee meetings, or how they knew I was going. In another state during a "national emergency" our legally parked car was impounded by the police. We never got to know why. We never got to know who bumper followed us down country roads or why. We never got to know the names of the strangers who assaulted me, several in National Guard uniforms, once a volunteer fireman who tried to run the car off the road. We never got to know why our mail for years in all locations was damaged or disappeared. The children were raised without the security and privacy of their home. So although Bill C-51 doesn't allow actual rape and murder to be used against out of favour citizens, the bill could allow destruction of an individual's, family's, or tribe's life, at the discretion of salaried people with no morals and no oversight. In the U.S. activists have died from mysterious car accidents, plane crashes, heart attacks, strokes, and other easily induced medical conditions. - John Bart Gerald with Julie Maas.

http://nightslantern.ca/2015bulletin.htm#feb20

Canada's Proposed Antiterrorism Act C-51 Empty Canada's Proposed Antiterrorism Act C-51

Post  Jenetta Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 am

WHO WILL WATCH THE SPIES? REJECT FEAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGbW8WOIos

Published on Feb 19, 2015

Spread the word and speak out! Please share this video and join tens of thousands signing the petition to stop the bill @ leadnow.ca/reject-fear

Momentum is building to #RejectFear and stop the Harper Conservative’s reckless, vague and unnecessary 'Secret Police' Bill before they can rush it into law.

We've got a plan to stop this bill from passing without major changes and proper oversight - and it starts with making sure that people from all across Canada see a new video that shows just how high the stakes are.

Will you chip in to make sure that countless Canadians see this video, get the facts out about Harper's "secret police" bill, and join in the campaign.
    www. leadnow.ca/rejectfear

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:19 am