tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

Security Check Now Starts Long Before You Fly

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Security Check Now Starts Long Before You Fly Empty Security Check Now Starts Long Before You Fly

Post  Carol Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:03 am

The Transportation Security Administration is expanding its screening of passengers before they arrive at the airport by searching a wide array of government and private databases that can include records like car registrations and employment information. While the agency says that the goal is to streamline the security procedures for millions of passengers who pose no risk, the new measures give the government greater authority to use travelers’ data for domestic airport screenings. Previously that level of scrutiny applied only to individuals entering the United States. The prescreening, some of which is already taking place, is described in documents the T.S.A. released to comply with government regulations about the collection and use of individuals’ data, but the details of the program have not been publicly announced.

It is unclear precisely what information the agency is relying upon to make these risk assessments, given the extensive range of records it can access, including tax identification number, past travel itineraries, property records, physical characteristics, and law enforcement or intelligence information. The measures go beyond the background check the government has conducted for years, called Secure Flight, in which a passenger’s name, gender and date of birth are compared with terrorist watch lists. Now, the search includes using a traveler’s passport number, which is already used to screen people at the border, and other identifiers to access a system of databases maintained by the Department of Homeland Security.

Privacy groups contacted by The New York Times expressed concern over the security agency’s widening reach.

“I think the best way to look at it is as a pre-crime assessment every time you fly,” said Edward Hasbrouck, a consultant to the Identity Project, one of the groups that oppose the prescreening initiatives. “The default will be the highest, most intrusive level of search, and anything less will be conditioned on providing some additional information in some fashion.”

Read more provide at the link above.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Aquaries1111
    Aquaries1111

Security Check Now Starts Long Before You Fly Empty Re: Security Check Now Starts Long Before You Fly

Post  Aquaries1111 Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:20 am

These people must have more time on their hands than they know what to do with. My return from NY recently afforded me an "Expedited Pass". I don't know if that is a new system or what but I had never seen one, nor heard of it before. The expedited pass allowed me to enter without even taking off my shoes. If we have nothing to hide then give me the EP.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:59 pm