tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

Big caches of free and legal SHTF downloads

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Big caches of free and legal SHTF downloads Empty Big caches of free and legal SHTF downloads

Post  Carol Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:25 am

This treasure trove is from http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1636228/pg1

Big caches of free and legal SHTF downloads <<<<<

Have you seen these sites? As far as I know, everything here is legal for downloading; nothing was shared without permission. Thou shalt not steal :-)

Go to GLP for working link.

[link to cd3wd.com] (ENORMOUS. Please use Torrent)
    [link to ssrsi.org]
    [link to journeytoforever.org
    [link to soilandhealth.org (Rare/out-of-print/valuable books like "The Natural Way of Farming" by M. Fukuoka)
    [link to practicalaction.org (These are now in CD3WD above)
    [link to www.appropedia.org (Also in CD3WD)
    [link to psurvival.com
    [link to www.fastonline.org
    [link to www.energyconservationinfo.org
    [link to www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com
    [link to www.agromisa.org
    [link to humanurehandbook.com
    [link to www.holmgren.com.au
    [link to builditsolar.com
    [link to www.freeselfdefensedvd.com
    [link to hesperian.org
    [link to www.aprovecho.org
    [link to www.arizonaenergy.org (Homemade batteries)
    [link to www.karmasherbs.com
    [link to www.ki4u.com
    [link to permaculture-media-download.blogspot.com
    [link to courses.ncsu.edu
    [link to www.thegreenhorns.net]
    [link to www.midstatebeekeepers.com
    [link to www.beesource.com
    [link to www.woodworkersworkshop.com
    [link to www.pvcplans.com]
    https://attra.ncat.org/
    [link to www.jumpjet.info
    [link to www.thesurvivalistblog.net (Good list)
    [link to zackcovell.com (Good list)
    [link to www.equipped.org (Lots of free stuff, just gotta sort through the paid stuff)
    [link to stevespages.com]
    [link to www.wikitaxi.org
    [link to www.librum.us (click on Paperbacks)
    [link to ps-survival.com
    [link to www.mediafire.com

Here are some URLs I can't post because of autoban rules, but which are really good. Google them.
    * Henriette's herbal, then click on Classic herbal works.
    * South West School of Botanical Medicine

Then of course there's these. Good survival info here, but also good fiction to pass the time.
    [link to www.archive.org
    [link to www.gutenberg.org
    [link to books.google.com
    [link to www.instructables.com
    [link to www.manybooks.net
    [link to www.amazon.com (Free Kindle books. NOTE: There are free Kindle apps for your computer/phone)
    [link to www.planetebook.com
    [link to www.barnesandnoble.com (Free Nook books. There are free Nook apps for your computer/phone.)

Not related to survival, but valuable in the midst of a crisis:
    [link to www.e-sword.net (Once installed, launch+download oodles of extra content)
    [link to www.faithcomesbyhearing.com (Hundreds of different kinds/translations of audio Bibles)
    [link to freechristianaudiobooks.com (Mueller's testimony is applicable to hard times!)
    [link to www.ccel.org
    [link to monergism.com
    [link to www.desiringgod.org (Unbelievably good)
    [link to www.gty.org
    [link to www.truthforlife.org
    [link to www.sovereigngraceministries.org
    [link to www.marshillchurch.org

I used [link to www.httrack.com to download these entire websites. Be sure to test your download after it's complete.
    [link to survivalblog.com
    [link to www.motherearthnews.com (Be patient, very large)
    [link to www.alpharubicon.com
    [link to www.thesurvivalistblog.net
    [link to backwoodshome.com
    [link to homestead.org
    [link to www.permies.com
    [link to www.richsoil.com
    [link to botanical.com
    [link to wings.interfree.it]
    [link to www.h2ohow.com
    [link to akvo.org
    [link to www.eattheweeds.com
    [link to www.pagat.com (Card games)
    [link to www.uga.edu
    [link to www.craftandfabriclinks.com
    [link to www.caes.uga.edu
    [link to www.hollowtop.com
    [link to www.natureskills.com
    [link to www.braintan.com
    [link to www.foodsaving.com
    [link to chrismolloy.com
    [link to www.eaudrey.com
    [link to www.captaindaves.com
    [link to waltonfeed.com
    [link to www.oism.org (Not just for nuclear attack)
    [link to www.wilderness-survival-skills.com
    [link to www.backwoodsliving.com
    [link to www.buildeazy.com
    [link to www.grandpappy.info
    [link to www.armourarchive.or
    [link to www.thehomegunsmith.com
    [link to wildwoodsurvival.com
    [link to www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com
    [link to www.florilegium.org
    [link to www.survivalplus.com

With this program, you can fetch YouTube videos. NOTE: Not everything on YouTube was shared with permission.
    [link to download.cnet.com]

Here's some websites that don't fit into any category above. You can't really download them, they're just useful.
    [link to allrecipes.com-- (Bread starter recipes)
    [link to www.primitiveskillslinks.com
    [link to www.internet-grocer.net

http://www.textfiles.com/
    http://www.freeselfdefensedvd.com/

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/topics/Economy/Recession_proof_GLP

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Big caches of free and legal SHTF downloads Empty Re: Big caches of free and legal SHTF downloads

Post  Carol Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:32 am

To make pumpkin flour you have to dry/dehydrate pumpkin and then puree it into dust.

Anyone ever do this? Anyone have a recipe that can use pumpkin flour (and no other flour)?

If things get crazy, it would be helpful to know how to make flour from items grown in our own gardens and we can use those flours to make bread/muffins, etc. with Wild yeast (sour dough type bread). Wouldn't even need a grain mill, could crush between rocks if necessary.

To extract the flour or starch from the cattail root, simply collect the roots, wash, and peel them. Next, break up the roots under water. The flour will begin to separate from the fibers. Continue this process until the fibers are all separated and the sweet flour is removed. Remove the fiber and pour off the excess water.
    Allow the remaining flour slurry to dry by placing near a fire or using the sun.

And lots of other cat tail uses on this website:
    [link to www.backwoodshome.com

ACORNS!

One of the very best breakfasts I ever had was a meal of acorn flour pancakes and 100% maple syrup.

Here's some information I gleaned from a website:
    [link to www.jackmtn.com]
    ...Acorns can easily be processed into nutritious flour. First they must be shelled. A fist sized rock works great as a nutcracker. After I shell them I like to crush the acorn meats into smaller pieces before boiling. This allows the tannic acid to be leached out more quickly.

Take the shelled, crushed acorn meats and put them into a pot of already boiling water. As the acorns boil the water will become discolored. When the water is dark brown (every ten minutes or so of boiling), strain out the acorn meats and switch them to another pot of already boiling water. Continue this process until the nutmeats no longer taste bitter. I generally do 3 or 4 water changes. The amount of boiling you do will vary depending on your acorns and your patience. I've made sweet tasting acorn bread with acorn meal that still had some bitterness to it. Experiment.

When switching the acorns from one pot of water to another, make sure the water is boiling before adding the acorns. Switching the acorns from boiling water to cold water seems to lock in the bitterness. When most of the bitterness is gone from the nutmeats, the meats can be crushed into a meal or mush. The wet meal can be used right away in a bread recipe, or dried and stored as flour is. It will keep as long as flour does if kept dry.

I mix a lighter flour such as cattail or wheat flour with the acorn meal when making bread. Acorn flour is heavy and the bread may fall apart if not made of a mixture of flours. White flour, corn flour, and soy flour all will do.

Another way to leach out tannins from acorns is to put them in a mesh sack and leave them in a running stream for a week or so. The length of time and results will vary depending on the acorns, the water temperature and flow rate, and other factors.

If you use the boiling method don't throw away the brown water. This water is a tannic acid solution that has a variety of uses. It can be used as a dye for clothing. When used this way it needs a fixer or the color will fade after washing. The tannic acid can also be used as a laundry detergent. Put a couple of cups of the solution in each load of wash. It cleans well, and the clothing will smell great, but it will color whites a slightly tan color.

The solution is antiviral and antiseptic. It can be used as a skin wash for rashes, skin irritations, burns, poison ivy, cuts, etc. It can be gargled for sore throats or taken as a mild tea for diarrhea and dysentery, or used externally on hemorrhoids. Store jars of tannic acid solution in jars in the refrigerator. If mold forms on top after time, the solution can be reboiled to kill the mold and stored again.

Animal hides can be tanned more easily by soaking them in the tannic acid from the acorns. Hide tanning is the process of making a raw animal skin into a comfortable, pliable, durable piece of clothing. The use of the boiled brown acorn water in producing "tanned" hides is why we call this water tannic acid.

I've used the following basic acorn bread recipe often. I've also varied it quite a bit depending on the availability of ingredients. Some of the most delicious acorn bread I've made has been using only acorns, syrup, flour, and water. Good Luck.

ACORN BREAD
    2 cups acorn flour
    2 cups cattail or white flour
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1/3 cup maple syrup or sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    3 tablespoons olive oil

Bake in pan for 30 minutes or until done at 400 degrees
    Using the ingredients given above will produce a sweet, moist, nutty bread. The ingredients can be varied to produce different types of bread or muffins or pancakes, etc. Acorn bread is highly nutritious. It has an energy giving combination of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. John Muir called dry acorn cakes "the most compact and strength giving food" he had ever used. I use maple syrup from the trees in my woods instead of sugar. Not only do I enjoy the wild beauty and fiery colors of the maples and oaks that surround my farm, but I also savor the sweet acorn bread made from their nuts and sap. What better way is there to get to know the trees than to live under them and eat from their bounty?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[link to www.connielapallo.com

Jamestown Style
    Acorn Bread
    1/2 cup acorn flour
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    1 teaspoon yeast
    4 tablespoons water

Sift the dry ingredients, then add the water. After mixing everything up until it makes a ball, let it rise for about 2 hours.Place the ball of dough on a stone baking pan and bake it at 350° 20 or 30 minutes.
    Makes one biscuit-sized loaf. Enjoy with butter or honey!

Acorn Cornmeal bread
    1 cup acorn flour
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 egg
    1/2 cup honey
    3 tablespoons cooking oil
    1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, combine egg, honey, milk and oil. Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients gradually while mixing with a whisk or electric mixer. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean

Acorn White Flour Bread
    Mix together:
    1 cup acorn flour
    1 cup unbleached white flour
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    Beat together:
    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons salad oil

Add these to the dry ingredients and stir just enough to moisten everything. Pour into a greased pan and bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    [link to www.prodigalgardens.info]

Acorn Flour Recipes:

Acorn Pancakes
    1 cup acorn flour
    1 cup white flour
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup oil
    1/2 cup honey
    2 cups milk

1. Mix dry ingredients first.
    2. Add wet ingredients and mix together thoroughly (Note: the secret of keeping pancake batter from getting lumpy is to be sure to add all the wet ingredients before mixing.)
    3. Adjust consistency by adding a little more milk or a little more flour if it’s too thick or thin. Pancake batter should be thin enough to pour, but not runny.
    4. Cook on oiled grill.
    5. Top with butter and Maple Syrup.

Acorn “Corn”bread
    1 cup acorn flour
    1 cup white flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup or honey
    1/4 cup oil or butter
    1 cup milk (buttermilk is best!)

1. Mix dry ingredients together.
    2. Add all the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
    3. Pour batter into a 9x9 baking pan, or 10-inch cast iron frying pan
    4. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
    5. Serve hot with plenty of butter! Honey or maple syrup is good on it too!

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/acorns.htm

Homemade Baking Powder Recipe
    Royal Baking Powder was a single-acting product made years ago. Here's a recipe for single-acting baking powder you could use in old recipes calling for Royal brand.

* 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
    * 1 tablespoon baking soda
    * 1 tablespoon cornstarch

As for baking soda, here's what I found:

Unless you live in Wyoming and own a trona (commonly called soda ash) mine I'm afraid you're out of luck :(

here's some info on the process:

"Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, comes from soda ash obtained either through the Solvay process or from trona ore, a hard, crystalline material. Trona dates back 50 million years, to when the land surrounding Green River, Wyoming, was covered by a 600-square-mile (1,554-square-kilometer) lake. As it evaporated over time, this lake left a 200-billion-ton deposit of pure trona between layers of sandstone and shale. The deposit at the Green River Basin is large enough to meet the entire world's needs for soda ash and sodium bicarbonate for thousands of years."

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Big caches of free and legal SHTF downloads Empty Re: Big caches of free and legal SHTF downloads

Post  Carol Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:36 am

Pumpkin Flour Recipe

Description: Pumpkin flour is a great substitute for use in just about any recipe that uses flour. Pumpkin Flour is rich in minerals and vitamins, many of which are believed to have several medicinal benefits (see below).

Pumpkin Flour most likely originated in Mexico, the origin of pumpkins. It is popular there today. But, Pumpkin Flour is most popular in Japan and in Asian countries. We have also found reference to it’s use in Nigeria, Thailand, and Brazil.

Potential and real medical benefits include:

* Aids gastrointestinal ailments
    * Cancer avoidance and treatment
    * Kidney ailments
    * Diabetes- both helps in deterring the onset of Diabetes, as well as treatment.
    * Heart ailments.

Note: If you’d like to try pumpkin flour, but do not want to make it fresh, it can be hard to find. Try local health food stores, and Asian and Chinese groceries.
    Ingredients: There’s just one ingredient……….one or more pumpkins. Preparation Directions:

1. Select one or more fresh, ripe pumpkins. Sugar pie variety makes a good, slightly sweet flour.
    2. Cut open the pumpkin, remove and discard seeds and strings.
    3. Remove the skin from the pumpkin. Use a sharp knife for hard skins. A potato peeler may work on soft shelled varieties.
    4. Slice pumpkin into thin slices and set out to dry. A food dehydrator is helpful.
    5. Allow pumpkin to completely dry.
    6. Place slices into a food processor and grind into a flour-like texture.
    7. Place pumpkin flour into an airtight container, and store in a cool, dry place.

Using Pumpkin Flour: Pumpkin Flour can be used in any recipe that calls for flour. Most recipes suggest substituting pumpkin flour for up to 1/4 of the amount of regular flour.

Making kudzu powder at home

Kudzu powder can be prepared on a small scale from wild kudzu with little equipment. Roots no smaller than 1 1/2” in diameter should be harvested during the winter months, December through March.

Kudzu root should be washed, cut into approximate one-inch thick slices and pureed in a blender with enough cold water to blend the root well. The puree should be strained and the solid fibers squeezed to extract all the liquid to be used for further processing. The remaining fibers should then be saturated with water, stirred, and strained again, collecting the liquid into the container with the other extract.

The brown kudzu liquid should be filtered through muslin or lower grade cotton fabric and left undisturbed in a cool or cold location for 24 hours. The fibers can be composted and the brown liquid should then be discarded as grey water. The clay like substance remaining in the container should be broken up and mixed well, until thoroughly dissolved with clean water once again, and allowed to rest for 24 hours in a cool environment.

The liquid should again be discarded and the starch redissolved into a second batch of clean water, this time leaving the mixture for 48 hours in a cool place. The liquid should then be discarded and the layer of gray impurities removed from the starch. The starch is then ready to be used immediately or can be dried to preserve it indefinitely.

To dry the kudzu starch, place kudzu chunks on a tray or on layers of paper and set it in a cool, well ventilated place for 10 to 40 days until thoroughly dry. Store dry chunks of kudzu in a sealed container. The dry chunks of kudzu, when pulverized, become kudzu powder. http://www.a-spi.org/tp/tp55.htm

Here is an unusual recipe for a confection. My mother called it "Depression Candy".

2 lbs powdered sugar
    1/4 to 1/2 boiled potato, still hot

Blend sugar a little at a time into the soft potato. Roll out to the shape of a log. Chill, slice.

I couldn't find my mom's recipe, so I looked it up first, and found some variances, that look good! In this link, red food dye has been added, vanilla flavoring, and a small jar of peanut butter. Looks good, doesn't it? It IS to die for, but very rich! And would sure satisfy a sweet tooth, if all you have is a sugar and a small potato!
    [link to www.morethanthis.net

"Starter dough" recipe on line:

Starter:

1 T Yeast
    2 cups water that has sat on counter for two days to release the chlorine
    2 C. White Flour

Place in container...not a metal one...and loosely place plastic wrap on it. Let it sit at room temp. for 2 days (48 hrs.)

To make 2 loaves of bread:

5 1/2 c. flour (you can use Whole WHeat for 1 or 2 cups)
    2 cups starter
    1 T salt
    1 c. water

Dissolve salt in water, in mixing bowl. Add starter than flour..stir, then knead into a ball. Cover with damp towel..let rise overnight at room temp. Next morning punch down and divide in half. Shape each half into a round loaf. Make an X shaped slash on each top and place 2 loaves on a greased baking sheet. Cover with damp towel and let rise at room temp for 4 hrs. place a pan of water on bottom rack of oven and preheat oven to 400°F degrees. Bake for 35 min.

To feed starter after taking some for bread add:

1 1/2 c. water
    1 1/2 c. flour

Return starter to refrigerator. The author also uses this dough for pizza.

Quote:

ok, i took this thread and gave it a bit of thought. the pumpkins are no where near ready to harvest, but the squash are coming out the ears and they don't can well (turn mushy). cucumbers too, but they at least make wonderful pickles. (side story - my wife made a batch of sweet pickles combining squash and cucumbers. it tasted great, but the squash was all mushy. soooo... i suggested she dice it all up and add raw onions - then call it sweet relish. she gave it a try and it tastes *much* better than storebought sweet relish).

i dried squash till it was crunchy. at this stage it just needs a little salt to be really good veggie chips. anyway, then i ran it through our grain grinder. it made a wonderful flour. and gluten free! the cucumber was another story. dried it the same and ran it through the grinder. everything started out well. nice flour. then about 5 minutes into the grinding things started heating up. it turned the cucumbers into an incredibly hard mess that really gummed up the grinder. so no flour from cucumbers, but no loss either. the mess that resulted will go fine in soup stock.

i wouldn't run peanuts through a grain grinder either. the oils in peanuts will gum it up like the cucumber did. fwiw.
    [b]

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:25 am