tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+13
orthodoxymoron
ceridwen
sabina
Sanicle
Mercuriel
ClearWater
Carol
solent
Brook
burgundia
mudra
Beren
malletzky
17 posters

Animals and Humans

burgundia
    burgundia

Animals and Humans - Page 5 Empty Re: Animals and Humans

Post  burgundia Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:50 am

Animals and Humans - Page 5 532897_337379622978504_237359416313859_860264_1075737176_n

THE EAGLE NAMED FREEDOM

This is the kind of story you need when it seems like the world is spiraling out of control.....

"Freedom and I have been together 11 years this summer.
    She came in as a baby in 1998 with two broken wings.
    Her left wing doesn't open all the way even after surgery, it was broken in 4 places. She's my baby.

When Freedom came in she could not stand and both wings were broken. She was emaciated and covered in lice.

We made the decision to give her a chance at life, so I took her to the vet's office. From then on, I was always around her.

We had her in a huge dog carrier with the top off, and it was loaded up with shredded newspaper for her to lie in. I used to sit and talk to her, urging her to live, to fight; and she would lay there looking at me with those big brown eyes. We also had to tube feed her for weeks.

This went on for 4-6 weeks, and by then she still couldn't stand.

It got to the point where the decision was made to euthanize her if she couldn't stand in a week. You know you don't want to cross that line between torture and rehab, and it looked like death was winning. She was going to be put down that Friday, and I was supposed to come in on that Thursday afternoon.

I didn't want to go to the center that Thursday, because I couldn't bear the thought of her being euthanized; but I went anyway, and when I walked in everyone was grinning from ear to ear.

I went immediately back to her cage; and there she was, standing on her own, a big beautiful eagle. She was ready to live. I was just about in tears by then. That was a very good day.

We knew she could never fly, so the director asked me to glove train her. I got her used to the glove, and then to jesses,
    and we started doing education programs for schools in western Washington . We wound up in the newspapers, radio (believe it or not) and some TV.

Miracle Pets even did a show about us.

In the spring of 2000, I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had stage 3, which is not good (one major organ plus everywhere), so I wound up doing 8 months of chemo.

Lost the hair - the whole bit. I missed a lot of work. When I felt good enough, I would go to Sarvey and take Freedom out for walks. Freedom would also come to me in my dreams and help me fight the cancer. This happened time and time again.

Fast forward to November 2000; the day after Thanksgiving,
    I went in for my last checkup. I was told that if the cancer was not all gone after 8 rounds of chemo, then my last option was a stem cell transplant.

Anyway, they did the tests; and I had to come back Monday for the results. I went in Monday, and I was told that all the cancer was gone.

So the first thing I did was get up to Sarvey and take the big girl out for a walk. It was misty and cold.

I went to her flight and jessed her up, and we went out front to the top of the hill. I hadn't said a word to Freedom, but somehow she knew.

She looked at me and wrapped both her wings around me to where I could feel them pressing in on my back (I was engulfed in eagle wings), and she touched my nose with her beak and stared into my eyes, and we just stood there like that for I don't know how long .

That was a magic moment. We have been soul mates ever since she came in. This is a very special bird.

On a side note: I have had people who were sick come up to us when we are out and Freedom has some kind of hold on them.

I once had a guy who was terminal come up to us and I let him hold her. His knees just about buckled and he swore he could feel her power course through his body.

I have so many stories like that..

I never forget the honor I have of being so close to such a magnificent spirit as Freedom.
    — with Janet Sedgwick.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:09 am

Burgundia this made my Heart melt .

The Karen

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 am

Barbie the deer has made herself at home in this farmhouse in Scotland.

Deer Lives With Family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYCGPCQQ-48

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:05 am

This little boy is caring for those creatures so lovingly.
    Please take the time to rate his video or post a comment.

Giant snails!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE37FsUeBjI

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Animals and Humans - Page 5 2005010700080201_686042e

5,000 year old vegan tribe in the Himalayas?

Apparently, every single civilization on this planet isn't omnivorous, despite what some will claim. Did any of you know about the Brok-pa Aryans?

"The few thousand Brok-pa Aryans have over 5,000 years lived in these hostile terrain at 15,000 ft altitude, subsisting on a vegan diet. Music and dance are a way of life for them. Both men and women wear colorful costume, decorating their hair with flowers, and are full of joi de vivre." They live in harmony with nature, and are cheerful and stress-free despite living in small rock shelters. They trek long distances.

Almond, apricot and walnut form part of the diet along with endless cups of black tea fortified with barley flour.

There are about 1,000 descendants of the Aryan tribes and they live scattered around Gilgit, Hunza, Kargil and Leh. Being nature worshipers, they celebrate the Bononah (nature) festival and are strict vegans, which means they are not only strictly vegetarian but also don't consume milk or milk products.The weather in September is pleasantly cold, though temperatures in January can plummet to -20 degrees Celsius. There are an unusually large number of Aryans above 70 years. Many are active even at 90.

read more : Arrow http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/todays-paper/tp-life/article2204749.ece

Love Always
    mudra

burgundia
    burgundia

Post  burgundia Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:04 am

Animals and Humans - Page 5 420517_10150570410802435_649972434_8873758_1797016613_n
    burgundia
    burgundia

Post  burgundia Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:56 am

Animals and Humans - Page 5 425291_378201062203816_100000417777462_1267829_2067324191_n
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Banker Saves a Dozen Ducklings From Ledge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAqWC3Cpny8

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:26 pm

'Ultimate Dog Tease' Video Becomes Viral Sensation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AMpugNjTKk

Love Always
    mudra
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:59 pm

burgundia wrote:Animals and Humans - Page 5 425291_378201062203816_100000417777462_1267829_2067324191_n

Is she a Taurus burgundia?

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    burgundia
    burgundia

Post  burgundia Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:33 am

Who knows? She might be...
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:35 am

Animals and Humans - Page 5 703b957e-16e6-4a85-b3f1-69d525f6e799

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Polly's Birthday Bonanza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIbABP7UUdM

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Tribute to Torri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Oj5DqUr-8

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:16 am

Animals and Humans - Page 5 5804936_orig

Through a Dogs Eyes -Full program
    Stories of service dogs and the people whose lives they have changed.

Watch documentary here Arrow http://video.pbs.org/video/1475527358/

Love Always
    mudra
    burgundia
    burgundia

Post  burgundia Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 am

Italian activists liberating beagles from Green Hill research facility

http://video.corriere.it/blitz-canile-liberazione-beagle/69e39b50-9157-11e1-9c63-0823a340624b
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat May 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Dolphin saves whales in New Zealand

Two whales in new Zealand appeared doomed as they kept on beaching themselves. But rescuers got a little helping hand from a friendly dolphin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fp_motddvnQ

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri May 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Reunion between Anita and the wolves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdUCzbCuYk

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri May 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Tsunami dog reunited with owner in Japan.flv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPNED391eMU

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri May 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Woman Who Lives With Lions,Tigers and Cheetahs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBJvkSvahpw

Riana Van Nieuwenhuizen.
    The sanctuary worker shares her South African home with not one but FOUR orphaned cheetahs, five lions and two tigers.
    Forty-six-year-old Riana said: I love them all. But theyre a handful.
    Riana bought her first cheetah, Fiela in 2006, after realising the big cats were in trouble and heading for extinction with only 1000 left in Africa.
    She left her full time job working for the department of justice - a position she had held for 22 years - and found temporary employment on a game ranch where she could raise her beloved big cat.
    But Rianas real dream was fully realised after she set up the not-for-profit Fiela Funds Cheetah Breeding Project in South Africa to ensure the long-term survival of the cheetah and their ecosystem.
    The project spreads over a hectare of land and visitors can meet Fiela and the other cats and even have their pictures taken.
    And if you want to outdo your friends in the wedding photo stakes the project also offers newly weds the chance to be snapped cuddling up to a big cat.
    The cats in Rianas own home are truly part of the family and are allowed to roam freely.
    They make it known when they are hungry, even jumping up onto work surfaces in an attempt to snatch a bite of whatevers going.
    Luckily Rianas two dogs arent on the menu but instead romp with the cats and even snuggle down with them for a snooze.

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:12 pm

worker at lion park gets hugs from sweet lion cubs 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDbuxw_AF3I&

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Vegetarian Lioness: Little Tyke

Animals and Humans - Page 5 Tyke

Little Tyke turning away her head from meat (and wincing).

At four years old, the mature African lioness weighed 352 pounds. Her body stretched 10 feet 4 inches long and could run 40 miles per hour. Her skull, highly adapted to killing and eating prey, possessed short powerful jaws. Normally, African lions eat gnus, zebras, gazelles, impalas, and giraffes. This particular big cat, in her prime and perfect health, chose a more gentle way of life, vegetarian!

A Violent Birth
    Georges and Margaret Westbeau, standing outside the thick steel bars of the cage, watched nervously. Inside, a vicious, raging beast baring razor claws and glistening fangs, roared. Flinging herself at the couple, who watched from barely three feet away, her suffering amber eyes defied their presence.
    Always, in the past, this lioness destroyed her offspring as soon as they were born. Four times in the last seven years, her powerful jaws had crushed her newborn cubs, furiously throwing them against her cage's bars where they tumbled, lifeless.
    Denying the normal instincts of motherhood, what possessed this lioness? Her life mocked its former freedom. She lived a caged animal, taken from the wild and tortured by those who captured her. Did she feel that by destroying her cubs they would be spared the humiliation that she endured?
    Suddenly, the newborn cub came flying towards the people anxiously watching. Georges quickly grabbed the cub through the bars before it could be killed. Its right front leg dangled helplessly from its mother's brutal jaws. In the face of such fury the only thing the human could say was, 'You poor little tike'.
    The Westbeaus took the three-pound 'Little Tyke' to their Hidden Valley Ranch near Seattle and there it joined the menagerie of other animals including horses, cattle, and chickens. Curious peacocks lined the housetop, kittens peered through a picket fence, and two terriers danced with joy for the new addition to the household.
    Drinking bottles of warm milk, Little Tyke began the long road to recovery.

Mysterious reaction
    With the advice of experts the Westbeaus began weaning Little Tyke onto solid food at three months. Leaving only a favorite doll, they removed most of her rubber toys, replacing them with bones from freshly slaughtered beef. They carried the small cub to the bones. Unexpectedly, she violently threw up!
    Experts told them in no uncertain terms that lions couldn't live without meat. In the wild, lions ate only flesh - eleven pounds a day for an adult female. Alarmed at Little Tyke's strange behavior, they wondered at how they could introduce meat into her diet? In the meantime, they continued feeding Little Tyke baby cereal mixed with milk.
    A well meaning friend suggested mixing beef blood with milk, in increasing proportions. Given milk containing ten drops of blood, Little Tyke would have nothing to do with it. They mixed in five drops of blood, and hid that bottle. As she sucked on the plain milk they quickly switched bottles. Again she refused it. In desperation they added one drop of blood to a full bottle of milk, but Little Tyke refused this bottle as well, and they could only stare in amazement.
    Another friend suggested putting plain milk in one hand, and milk mixed with hamburger in the palm of the other hand. Little Tyke readily licked the milk from one hand, but when Georges changed hands, she immediately turned away. Sensing her distress, Georges wiped his hands on a nearby towel and picked her up. Hissing in fear and cringing away, she looked sick from the danger-smell of meat on his hand. She only settled down when given a fresh bottle of milk held in washed hands.

Thousand-dollar reward
    At nine months old and weighing sixty-five pounds, Little Tyke had the splints and bandages on her leg taken off for the last time. She slowly learned to depend on the healed leg, and mingled with other animals on the ranch.
    Since the ranch didn't earn enough income to make ends meet, the Westbeaus ran a small cold storage plant in town. Little Tyke came with them when they went to work and word got around about this vegetarian lioness. When she was four years old, the Westbeaus advertised a thousand dollar reward for anyone who could devise a method tricking Little Tyke into eating meat. Numerous plans met with failure since Little Tyke refused to have anything to do with flesh.

The answer
    The caretakers of this gentle animal sought out animal experts, always asking them about diet. Finally, one young visitor set their mind at ease. With serious eyes he turned to them and asked, 'Don't you read your Bible? Read Genisis 1:30, and you will get your answer.' At his first opportunity Georges read in astonishment, 'And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.' At that point, after four years, the Westbeaus finally stopped worrying.

Little Tyke's meals
    A typical meal consisted of various grains, chosen for their protein, calcium, fats, and roughage. Margaret always cooked a few days' supply ahead of time. At feeding time, a double handful of the cooked grains along with one-half gallon of milk with two eggs, supplied Little Tyke a delicious meal. She had one condition before eating. Her favorite rubber doll had to be right next to her!

Little Tyke with Becky

Animals and Humans - Page 5 Tykelamm

For teeth and gums, the Westbeaus supplied rubber boots, since she refused bones. They attracted her to the boots by sprinkling them with perfume. One boot lasted almost a month.
    Little Tyke had many close animal friends. Her favorites were Pinky (a kitten), Imp (another kitten), Becky (a lamb) and Baby (a fawn). Her favorite and closest friend, however, was Becky, who preferred Little Tyke's company to any of the other animals.

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:37 pm

2011_UA_14_LittleTyke.wmv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANkfMfF71dA

Love Always
    mudra
    burgundia
    burgundia

Post  burgundia Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:42 pm

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Animals and Humans - Page 5 Lawrence-anthony-tribute

For 12 hours, two herds of wild South African elephants slowly made their way through the Zululand bush until they reached the house of late author Lawrence Anthony, the conservationist who saved their lives.The formerly violent, rogue elephants, destined to be shot a few years ago as pests, were rescued and rehabilitated by Anthony, who had grown up in the bush and was known as the “Elephant Whisperer.”

For two days the herds loitered at Anthony’s rural compound on the vast Thula Thula game reserve in the South African KwaZulu – to say good-bye to the man they loved. But how did they know he had died? Known for his unique ability to calm traumatized elephants, Anthony had become a legend. He is the author of three books, Babylon Ark, detailing his efforts to rescue the animals at Baghdad Zoo during the Iraqi war, the forthcoming The Last Rhinos, and his bestselling The Elephant Whisperer.

There are two elephant herds at Thula Thula. According to his son Dylan, both arrived at the Anthony family compound shortly after Anthony’s death.“They had not visited the house for a year and a half and it must have taken them about 12 hours to make the journey,” Dylan is quoted in various local news accounts. “The first herd arrived on Sunday and the second herd, a day later. They all hung around for about two days before making their way back into the bush.”Elephants have long been known to mourn their dead. In India, baby elephants often are raised with a boy who will be their lifelong “mahout.” The pair develop legendary bonds – and it is not uncommon for one to waste away without a will to live after the death of the other.

The first herd to arrive at Thula Thula several years ago were violent. They hated humans. Anthony found himself fighting a desperate battle for their survival and their trust, which he detailed in The Elephant Whisperer:“It was 4:45 a.m. and I was standing in front of Nana, an enraged wild elephant, pleading with her in desperation. Both our lives depended on it. The only thing separating us was an 8,000-volt electric fence that she was preparing to flatten and make her escape.“Nana, the matriarch of her herd, tensed her enormous frame and flared her ears.“’Don’t do it, Nana,’ I said, as calmly as I could. She stood there, motionless but tense. The rest of the herd froze.“’This is your home now,’ I continued. ‘Please don’t do it, girl.’I felt her eyes boring into me.
    “’They’ll kill you all if you break out. This is your home now. You have no need to run any more.’“Suddenly, the absurdity of the situation struck me,” Anthony writes. “Here I was in pitch darkness, talking to a wild female elephant with a baby, the most dangerous possible combination, as if we were having a friendly chat. But I meant every word. ‘You will all die if you go. Stay here. I will be here with you and it’s a good place.’“She took another step forward. I could see her tense up again, preparing to snap the electric wire and be out, the rest of the herd smashing after her in a flash.“I was in their path, and would only have seconds to scramble out of their way and climb the nearest tree. I wondered if I would be fast enough to avoid being trampled. Possibly not.“Then something happened between Nana and me, some tiny spark of recognition, flaring for the briefest of moments. Then it was gone. Nana turned and melted into the bush. The rest of the herd followed. I couldn’t explain what had happened between us, but it gave me the first glimmer of hope since the elephants had first thundered into my life.”

read on: Arrow http://delightmakers.com/news-bleat/wild-elephants-gather-inexplicably-mourn-death-of-elephant-whisperer/

Love Always
    mudra

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:02 pm