tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

Feds to Mandate Event Recorders Black Box on all New Cars

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Feds to Mandate Event Recorders Black Box on all New Cars Empty Feds to Mandate Event Recorders Black Box on all New Cars

Post  Carol Tue May 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Editor's Note: See, the Patriot Act did create innovative technology. Congress says let's keep the surveillance-industrial complex strong for at least another 4 years.

The Feds will mandate next month that all new cars be fitted with a black box event recorders in all new cars, according to news reports. So-called black boxes record information about speed, seat belt use and brake application.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been involved in the use of black boxes since their introduction. In 2006, the safety administration encouraged but did not require automobile manufacturers to install the systems and also did not set a single standard for the way data would be recorded, according to the New York Times.

he National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is expected to issue new regulations next month, that will require a black box style data recorder be fitted in all new cars.

Similar in concept to the familiar black boxes used in commercial aircraft for decades, the boxes are expected to record information about speed, seat belt use and brake application in the final seconds leading up to an accident, the data can be retrieved for later analysis.

Before you start screaming about government overreach, you should know that almost every new car already has a device like this fitted at the factory. For example, GM has fitted one to almost every new car they've built since the early 1990s.

The new rules are aimed at evening out a patchwork of state laws about who can access to the data, while standardizing the devices themselves so that the data is easier to recover. Currently, the devices are used mostly be car manufacturers to cover their own butts, by helping to determine whether an accident was caused by driver error, or some problem with the vehicle.

This sounds like a sensible idea, as long as strict limits are places on what data is recorded, and who has access to it. The potential for abuse is huge, such as cops using it to issue speeding tickets, or GPS data being used in a divorce case to show who you were visiting. Still, the upside could be pretty significant too, for example proving that you weren't speeding when you had an accident.

Personally, I think I'll stick with my very analog 1985 Diesel Mercedes. The most sophisticated electronic device in that car is the AM/FM radio.
    http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/feds-to-require.php

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    THEeXchanger
    THEeXchanger

Feds to Mandate Event Recorders Black Box on all New Cars Empty Re: Feds to Mandate Event Recorders Black Box on all New Cars

Post  THEeXchanger Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:33 pm

what i wish they would develop
    is something that stops people from being able to travel
    while texting on cell phones

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 8:45 pm