tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

Not Music, but Dance

Seashore
    Seashore

Not Music, but Dance Empty Not Music, but Dance

Post  Seashore Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:32 am

Years ago, I posted one of my YouTube dance videos, the account for which I also deleted years ago.

But I've started uploading again, and I would like to share one of them.  sunny

My sister sent me a really cool video to the music "Uptown Funk:

I was inspired to purchase the music on iTunes and dance to it:

Dancing Senior II
    Published on Feb 22, 2018

My interpretation of this music featuring Bruno Mars, by Mark Ronson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qiF858vbm4
    Seashore
    Seashore

Not Music, but Dance Empty Re: Not Music, but Dance

Post  Seashore Fri May 04, 2018 9:34 am

Another of my dance videos is "I'll Take You There," danced to the song by The Staple Sisters.

The inspiration for that one was hearing the recording in the movie Secretariat (about the racehorse).  In the song is the word "races."  I used to think it meant horse races, but it actually is referring to race.  The song was released in 1972 and was inspired by the Dr. Martin Luther King era.

I am very inspired by what I've learned about The Staple Sisters' lead singer Mavis Staples—so inspired I did a search.

She has a website and on it I've found a really cool YouTube video:

ANTI- Records
    Published on Nov 16, 2017

Listen to the full album: http://bit.ly/2A5aPeF
    "Who Told You That" by Mavis Staples from the album 'If All I Was Was Black,' available now
    Order at https://www.mavisstaples.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLB8g_4QiPAU8z1fweYMO-QOB3bgr723g_&time_continue=136&v=oqiR1t9uWGo

Last edited by Seashore on Fri May 04, 2018 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
    Seashore
    Seashore

Post  Seashore Fri May 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Seashore wrote:Another of my dance videos is "I'll Take You There," danced to the song by The Staples Sisters.

Regarding one of the Staple Sisters:

Staples Singers' Yvonne Staples, sister of Mavis Staples, has died at age 80

By Luchina Fisher via GMA

Apr 10, 2018, 3:22 PM ET

ABC News

Yvonne Staples, a member of the famed Staples Singers, died in her hometown Chicago, ABC News has confirmed. She was 80.

A rep for Staples' sister Mavis Staples confirmed Yvonne Staples' passing. The family declined to make a statement.

Yvonne Staples' soulful baritone was featured on such hits as "Respect Yourself" and "I'll Take You There," alongside her sisters Mavis and Cleotha Staples and their father, guitarist Pops Staples.

The group received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Grammys in 2005 and was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1999.

Their music -- a mixture of gospel, soul, pop and funk -- served as a backdrop to the Civil Rights Movement and the group members became symbols of black pride and achievement in the '70s.

PHOTO: The Staple Singers, Pervis Staples, Cleotha Staples, Yvonne Staples and Mavis Staples, perform at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in New Orleans April 27, 1985.

'Pops' Staples Dead at 84

Yvonne Staples was born in Chicago, the middle daughter of Roebuck "Pops" and Oceola Staples. She began singing with younger sister Mavis Staples and their brother Pervis Staples in the 1940s in their uncle's church. But she didn't join the Staples Singers until 1970, when she replaced Pervis Staples.

The harmonies of the three sisters, along with Pops' guitar, produced the group's signature sound.

PHOTO: The Staple Singers, Pops Staples, Cleotha Staples, Yvonne Staples and Mavis Staples perform on TV show in 1970 in New York City.

The Staples Singers made more than 30 albums, racking up a string of hits for the Stax label in the '70s, including "If You're Ready (Come Go With Me)" and "Respect Yourself." They earned their first No. 1 hit with "I'll Take You There" in 1972.

They also appeared in the 1972 documentary "Wattstax," alongside Isaac Hayes and Richard Pryor.

Pops Staples died in 2000 and Cleotha Staples, the oldest of the three sisters, died in 2013.

PHOTO: Yvonne Staples performs during the 2014 Newport Folk Festival at Fort Adams State Park on July 27, 2014 in Newport, Rhode Island.

Mavis Staples, 78, the remaining Staples sister, continues to perform and is currently touring for her latest album, "If All I Was Was Black."

https://vimeo.com/51179873
    The Staple Singers - "Respect Yourself" live at Wattstax from Scott Serota on Vimeo.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/staples-singers-yvonne-staples-sister-mavis-staples-died/story?id=54370515

Last edited by Seashore on Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
    Seashore
    Seashore

Post  Seashore Sun May 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Seashore wrote:Regarding one of the Staple Sisters . . .

I am so taken with the quality of Mavis Staples' music I purchased on Avalon a documentary Mavis! released in 2016 (in 2018 she's now 78 years old).  

I've choked up a couple of times:

I'm hoping to do something with my love of dance.

I would like to perhaps do a workshop for other women who love music and dance or maybe get hired by a cruise ship or something.  

Question

Seashore
    Seashore

Post  Seashore Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Seashore wrote:Another of my dance videos is "I'll Take You There," danced to the song by The Staple Sisters.

Here it is:

I am re-watching Mavis! this evening.

What a spirit!
    Seashore
    Seashore

Post  Seashore Thu May 24, 2018 11:13 am

Seashore wrote:I was inspired to purchase the music on iTunes and dance to it:

Dancing Senior II
    Published on Feb 22, 2018

My interpretation of this music featuring Bruno Mars, by Mark Ronson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qiF858vbm4

Thinking about how I can develop my love of dance into some kind of workshop that I would teach, I've been researching the artists whose work I've been dancing to to make sure that I won't give the wrong impression to perspective participants by my choice of music.

In this case I viewed the music video for "Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars:

I really liked it and wanted to find out more about Bruno Mars.

I found this interview on YouTube by YouTuber "Skavlan":

Description

Every Friday night up to 3 million Swedes and Norwegians - out of a combined population of 13 million - sit down in front of their televisions and enjoy an hour of intelligent entertainment in Swedish, Norwegian and English. Fredrik Skavlan’s unique mix of local and international guests from the worlds of show-business, politics, commerce, arts and sciences allows for a broad specter [sic] of topics to be discussed in each program.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SkavlanTV/about

This is a great interview!

Seashore
    Seashore

Post  Seashore Thu May 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Seashore wrote:I really liked it and wanted to find out more about Bruno Mars.

I also enjoyed this interview of Mark Ronson:

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:19 pm