tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st Empty BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st

Post  Carol Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:28 am

BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st Palm%20tree%20moon

BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st EclipsetimesPST_strip
    BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st,
    there's going to be a "Blue Moon"

–the second full Moon in a calendar month. People who go outside to look may see a different hue: bright orange. This Blue Moon is going to be eclipsed, swallowed by copper-colored shadow of Earth for more than an hour. The eclipse will be visible from Asia, Australia, and most of North America: visibility map:
    http://www.spaceweather.com/images2018/23jan18/global_lunar_eclipse_01182018.png?PHPSESSID=m1rlh2fon1m7alpaev32ktfb05

The bright orange color of the eclipse may be chalked up to volcanic activity–or rather, lack thereof. Atmospheric scientist Richard Keen from the University of Colorado explains:

"During a lunar eclipse, most of the light illuminating the Moon passes through Earth's stratosphere where it is reddened by scattering," he says. "If the stratosphere is loaded with dust from volcanic eruptions, the eclipse will be dark. The cataclysmic explosion of Tambora in 1815, for instance, turned the Moon into a dark, starless hole in sky during two subsequent eclipses."

But Earth is experiencing a bit of a volcanic lull. We haven't had a major volcanic blast since 1991 when Mt Pinatubo awoke from a 500 year slumber and sprayed ten billion cubic meters of ash, rock and debris into Earth's atmosphere. Recent eruptions have been puny by comparison and have failed to make a dent on the stratosphere. To Keen, the interregnum means one thing: "This eclipse is going to be bright and beautiful."

BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st Opticaldepth_strip
    From "Two Centuries of Volcanic Aerosols Derived from Lunar Eclipse Records" by R. A. Keen

Keen studies lunar eclipses because of what they can tell us about Earth's energy balance. A transparent stratosphere "lets the sunshine in" and actually helps warm the Earth below. "The lunar eclipse record indicates a clear stratosphere has contributed about 0.2 degrees to warming since the 1980s."

"Mt. Pinatubo finished a 110-year episode of frequent major eruptions that began with Krakatau in 1883," he says. "Since then, lunar eclipses have been relatively bright, and the Jan. 31st eclipse should be no exception."

In the USA, the best time to look is during the hours before sunrise. Western states are favored: The Moon makes first contact with the core of Earth's shadow at 3:48 am Pacific Time, kicking off the partial eclipse. Totality begins at 4:52 am PST as Earth's shadow engulfs the lunar disk for more than an hour. "Maximum orange" is expected around 5:30 am PST. Easternmost parts of the USA will miss totality altogether.

"I welcome any and all reports on the brightness of this eclipse for use in my volcano-climate studies," says Keen.  While actual brightness measurements (in magnitudes) made near mid-totality are most useful, I can also make use of Danjon-scale ratings. Please be sure to note the time, method, and instruments used in your reports." Observations may be submitted here.
    http://spaceweathergallery.com/submissions/

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st Empty Re: BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st

Post  orthodoxymoron Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:17 am

It's strange that I titled my main-threads 'The United States of the Solar System, A.D. 2133' (books 1-4). I started out somewhat flippant, but now I'm almost too frightened to continue. If I could start my life over, I think I might exclusively and privately study the Solar System as a Whole, without making a Big-Deal out of it. As a child, I drew the Solar System over and over, day after day, and when I looked up at the night-sky, I sometimes cried. Later, in my late-teens, I attended monthly meetings at the Griffith Observatory and Planetarium, sometimes speaking with Dr. Edwin Krupp, who told me that Amateur-Astronomy was often more rewarding than Professional-Astronomy. At about the same time, I toured Rockwell International in Southern California, and went aboard a mockup of the Space Shuttle. Now, every time I see the Moon, I ask "What the Hell Are They Doing Up There??" I'm presently contemplating a very low-tech study of the Solar System with a large Dobsonian-Telescope and Classical-Astronomical Books (without all the new-fangled stuff) just to get back to basic and direct amateur astronomical-research. On the other hand, I've found the 'We Didn't Go to the Moon' theory quite-interesting, but I've suspected that Apollo was a fund-raising project to funnel money into the Real and Secret Space-Program (for legitimate and/or illegitimate reasons, I know not). I suspect that we somehow need to transition from our deluded world-views into a realistic solar-system view, which reigns-in rogue-elements and provides reasonable-oversight (or something like that). A doctoral-graduate of the University of Edinburgh told me "If You Tear Something Down, You'd Better Have Something Better to Replace It." When I joked with a graduate of the Harvard Divinity School, saying "I Don't Believe in God. I Believe in Extraterrestrials from the Pleiades!!" they surprisingly approved of what I'd said in jest!! A graduate of the Princeton Theological Seminary told me "Don't Be Too Definite. People Who Are Too Definite Go Off!!" Here's an interesting interview about the Moon. What Would Buzz Aldrin Say?? Below that is an interesting Moon documentary. Perhaps I should focus on Solar System Videos!!

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:17 am