tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation

mudra
    mudra

Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation  Empty Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation

Post  mudra Sat May 14, 2016 2:29 pm

Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btBw70HAys4

Academic-turned-cop and best-selling author George Doc Thompson describes how tactical language allows leaders to achieve their goals. Daniel Ames, the Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. Associate Professor of Leadership and Ethics, confirms that managing conflict is a critical predictor of leadership success and shows how what works in the streets converges with recent findings in social science. The workshop was part of the Program on Social Intelligences Science Meets Practice series, which pairs hands-on leadership training with breaking insights in psychology research.

Love Always
    mudra
    Pris
    Pris

Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation  Empty Re: Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation

Post  Pris Sun May 15, 2016 4:30 pm

I think this video is worth watching and feel there is a lot of helpful information that everyone can use, BUT (LOL Naughty) there were also quite a few points that didn't sit well with me.  It's because they didn't sit well that I think this video is worth watching.  Recognizing coercive tactics that may be used against you and anyone else is very helpful (especially with regard to personal sovereignty).

One thing's for certain, I am NOT fond of using the word '...but' and I'm not thrilled when people try using that tactic on me.

It's one thing to use many of the techniques shared in this video to represent yourself.  When you represent someone else whose morals and ethics match yours (good or bad), great.  BUT what if they have lied to you and you didn't know it?  What if they have a hidden, negative agenda and they are taking advantage of your desire to help others?  That's when things can get ugly.  You think you are helping when in fact you are harming.  For example, just the idea of these techniques being used for purposes of imposing authority over others -- law enforcement... rather creeps me out.

You can imagine what would happen when both sides take the 'star' position...  Whistle

Pris
    Pris

Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation  Empty Re: Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation

Post  Pris Mon May 16, 2016 4:21 am

Pris wrote:.

You can imagine what would happen when both sides take the 'star' position...  Whistle

To take this a bit further, wasn't the illustrative use of the star and the infinity sign quite clever?
    We're all supposed to believe that everything is equitable when it is not.

Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation  ?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffiveminutemarketing.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F04%2FAnimal_Farm

The pretense was to appear to be cooperative,
    to negotiate fairly with regard to both sides when in fact the goal was
    to ultimately gain submission, compliance, surrender...  

This topic goes way beyond how to deal with someone who may be 'drunk and disorderly'.

This is about questioning imposed authority wielded by the few over the many.

Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation  Wnd_8e9fb40186b742c0bee018a15ea9ad50
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon May 16, 2016 5:12 am

Pris wrote:.

I think this video is worth watching and feel there is a lot of helpful information that everyone can use, BUT (LOL Naughty) there were also quite a few points that didn't sit well with me.  It's because they didn't sit well that I think this video is worth watching.  Recognizing coercive tactics that may be used against you and anyone else is very helpful (especially with regard to personal sovereignty).

One thing's for certain, I am NOT fond of using the word '...but' and I'm not thrilled when people try using that tactic on me.

It's one thing to use many of the techniques shared in this video to represent yourself.  When you represent someone else whose morals and ethics match yours (good or bad), great.  BUT what if they have lied to you and you didn't know it?  What if they have a hidden, negative agenda and they are taking advantage of your desire to help others?  That's when things can get ugly.  You think you are helping when in fact you are harming.  For example, just the idea of these techniques being used for purposes of imposing authority over others -- law enforcement... rather creeps me out.

Indeed Pris I understand you,

People are like books . Some lure you with their cover while other surprise you with their content.

It is quite true people may possibly use it as a mere technique to submit others to their will.

But, we are able to use it ourselves from hopefully the very best of our nature and intention, practice it as an Art
    until we master it.

The interesting thing to me is the work it takes to refine our communication skills that they may bring peace around and even ... fun .
    Aikido style I like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ5YKBqtWCo

Love from me
    mudra

Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Mon May 16, 2016 5:30 am

Agreed, mudra!  flower

HAHAHA!!  Kitteh takes down doggie 'kitteh style'!  I also noticed the brilliant use of the 'machine gun' technique! Insanely Happy

Aikido style

Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation  522865fe9ee8a_original

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:49 pm