tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

How Do We Know Who the Author Is?

Seashore
    Seashore

How Do We Know Who the Author Is? Empty How Do We Know Who the Author Is?

Post  Seashore Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 am

I find reading posts on The Mists of Avalon to be very confusing most of the time.

What I am talking about is the fact that most members copy and paste outside sources.  This means that their posts look as if the member is speaking when the member is not - it is simply a copy and paste.

Then, somewhere in the thread, the member may actually make a comment in their own words about the outside material posted, but there is no way to know this except by context, which is actually a time-consuming guessing game.

It is for this reason that when I post outside sources, I use the quote tags to flag the fact that it's not me talking.  I also put the link inside the quote tags.  If we had tags designed specifically for outside sources, I would use them, but we don't so I use the quote tags, despite the fact that they're for member quotes, not outside quotes.  To me, it's better than simply copying and pasting with no quote box at all.

Am I the only member who cares about this?
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

How Do We Know Who the Author Is? Empty Re: How Do We Know Who the Author Is?

Post  B.B.Baghor Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:20 am

Seashore wrote:I find reading posts on The Mists of Avalon to be very confusing most of the time.

What I am talking about is the fact that most members copy and paste outside sources.  This means that their posts look as if the member is speaking when the member is not - it is simply a copy and paste.

Then, somewhere in the thread, the member may actually make a comment in their own words about the outside material posted, but there is no way to know this except by context, which is actually a time-consuming guessing game.

It is for this reason that when I post outside sources, I use the quote tags to flag the fact that it's not me talking.  I also put the link inside the quote tags.  If we had tags designed specifically for outside sources, I would use them, but we don't so I use the quote tags, despite the fact that they're for member quotes, not outside quotes.  To me, it's better than simply copying and pasting with no quote box at all.

Am I the only member who cares about this?

How Do We Know Who the Author Is? Images20

I see what you mean, Seashore and I care as much as possible to make clear what my words are and words of others, in my posts.
    I'm referring to the source by presenting the name of the writer, before a text is presented and I put that text between "......" these.
    Not with my own words. I also present the source in a link at the end of my post. I think your post is a great reminder of the value
    to be clear and accurate, in our presentation of content and source here. So far I haven't found much difficulty discerning member's
    own words and copied texts in their posts. For me, it's sometimes hard to grasp the meaning, when my mind is far removed
    from the mind of the one who shares a post here and in that way can't find resonance. Or when I feel I can't relate to its content.

Seashore
    Seashore

Post  Seashore Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:34 am

B.B.Baghor wrote:I'm referring to the source by presenting the name of the writer, before a text is presented and I put that text between "......" these.
    The only problem with quotation marks is that a quote with more than one paragraph can make the close quote remote from the beginning and thus a little unclear.

It would be helpful to me if you repeat the quotation mark before every paragraph in that case.

Do you have an objection to using quote tags?
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Seashore wrote:
    B.B.Baghor wrote:I'm referring to the source by presenting the name of the writer, before a text is presented and I put that text between "......" these.
    The only problem with quotation marks is that a quote with more than one paragraph can make the close quote remote from the beginning and thus a little unclear.

It would be helpful to me if you repeat the quotation mark before every paragraph in that case.

Do you have an objection to using quote tags?

I think I've no objection to any thing or format of text and copying of text, Seashore, as long as it's making things clear. It's not so easy
    to make things work in the same way for everybody, for there's personal subjectivity involved. I have my own logic in that I always think
    that any subject presented by a member here, is studied first, so that the poster knows what it's about and also, important to me, that
    the poster tried to check the subject for being genuine and truthful, as much as is possible. Of course it's a different thing, when a poster
    is in a puzzle and likes to share content in a post with the intention to include others here, giving their views, in order to find evidence of it.
    When that wish is communicated in the post itself, by the poster, it becomes a joint effort to find truth, if that's chosen.

Regarding the form of posts, I guess a more technical wise-guy or wise-gal, maybe a moderator here or the webmaster? could assist you,
    to apply something that makes it work for you (and for us all here?). But as far as my quotations in posts go, I suggest that when you see
    the " at the start, that you focus on reading the text as a quote and read on until you see the end " knowing that it's the end of a quote.
    Do you read posts in bits and pieces finding difficulty to come back on track after a break, so to speak? I find it helpful to copy posts of
    others in a Word document and work in that space, (adding things that help to focus and clarify what's in need of clarifying to me) writing
    my reply, before posting it on the MoA Forum. Sometimes being present in the Forum space creates fogginess in my thinking head, as if by
    a hindrance or jammer. I'm at times quite sensitive to the presence of virtual acrobatics online. I wouldn't know, at this moment, what to
    say more about it, Seashore. Keep on trucking Thubs Up
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:35 pm

How do we know who REALLY wrote ANYTHING???!!! How do we know if what they wrote was the Truth -- or Utter-Bullshit?? Who REALLY wrote the Bible?? I received an unsolicited message in my word-processor several years ago, claiming that I wrote 37 books 2,000 years ago -- 5 of which were included in the Bible -- with the rest hidden-away in the Vatican -- so the Bad-Boys could Rule the World!! I'm NOT kidding!! I have NO Idea if even a sliver of that message was somehow true!! I highly doubt it -- but one never knows!! Who REALLY writes President Obama's speeches?? Who REALLY writes the Pope's homilies?? Remember what Serendipity said in the movie Dogma regarding who wrote the Bible -- and who wrote the scripts for 19 of the Top 20 movies of all-time?? Who REALLY wrote the writings of Ellen Gould White?? How do we REALLY know ANYTHING for certain?? How do you know if I REALLY created MY Threads?? Someone could've fed me everything I've posted (in Parking-Garages at 3AM)!!! If you knew how dense I am in "real-life" that suggestion wouldn't seem too farfetched!! That's all I'm going to say...
    Seashore
    Seashore

Post  Seashore Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:09 am

Seashore wrote:I find reading posts on The Mists of Avalon to be very confusing most of the time.

What I am talking about is the fact that most members copy and paste outside sources.  This means that their posts look as if the member is speaking when the member is not . . .

This remains a problem.  

Annoyed

One would think people would like to be understood right away, rather than make others have to work at it.

Last edited by Seashore on Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarify)

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:19 am