tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks Empty Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks

Post  Carol Sun May 17, 2015 12:49 pm

Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks Cell-phone-no-no-lighjter
    Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks
    If you carry your device close to your body, you may be exceeding radiation exposure limits.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/05/berkeley-cell-phone-law-right-know-ordinance

The City Council of Berkeley, California last night unanimously voted to require electronics retailers to warn customers about the potential health risks associated with radio-frequency (RF) radiation emitted by cellphones, setting itself up to become the first city in the country to implement a cellphone "right to know" law.

"If you carry or use your phone in a pants or shirt pocket or tucked into a bra when the phone is ON and connected to a wireless network, you may exceed the federal guidelines for exposure to RF radiation," the notice, which must be posted in stores that sell cellphones, reads in part. "This potential risk is greater for children. Refer to the instructions in your phone or user manual for information about how to use your phone safely."

The industry claims the law is unconstitutional "because it would compel wireless retailers to disseminate speech with which they disagree."
    The ordinance is widely expected to face a robust court challenge from the Cellular Telephone Industries Association, the wireless industry's trade group. The law "violates the First Amendment because it would compel wireless retailers to disseminate speech with which they disagree," Gerard Keegan, CITA's senior director of state legislative affairs, said yesterday in a letter to the council members. "The forced speech is misleading and alarmist because it would cause consumers to take away the message that cell phones are dangerous and can cause breast, testicular, or other cancers."

Cellphones emit non-ionizing radiation in the form of electromagnetic fields (EMF) that can penetrate human tissues. Although ionizing radiation, the kind used in x-rays, is known to cause cancer, the National Cancer Institute says there is no evidence that non-ionizing radiation increases cancer risk. The American Cancer Society calls the evidence for a cellphone-cancer link "uncertain." The federal Centers for Disease Control maintains that "we do not have the science to link health problems to cell phone use."

Some long-term epidemiological studies, however, have shown correlations between heavy cellphone use and cancer. In 2011, the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer classified radiation from cellphones as "possibly carcinogenic to humans." Although the finding was hardly earth-shattering (pickled vegetables and coffee also fall into that category), concerns about the health effects of cellphones continue to mount.

A Turkish study published earlier this year, for example, found that the closer that the source of cellphone radiation was to breast cancer cells, the greater the damage to the underlying cells. The radiation increased the number of reactive forms of oxygen (a.k.a. free radicals), which can damage cells and have been shown to contribute to cancer development.

The Berkeley vote comes a day after an open letter from 195 scientists from 39 countries raised "serious concerns regarding the ubiquitous and increasing exposure to EMF generated by electric and wireless devices." The scientists, among them researchers from the University of California-Berkeley, Columbia, and Harvard, called on government agencies to impose "sufficient guidelines to protect the general public, particularly children who are more vulnerable to the effects of EMF."

"This ordinance," says Lawrence Lessig, "is just about giving people the information they need to use their phone" as intended.
    Berkeley isn't the first government to ponder a cellphone right-to-know law. According to CBS reporter Elizabeth Hinson, California, Hawaii, New Mexico, Oregon, and Pennsylvania have also considered requiring warnings, and legislation is awaiting a vote in Maine. In 2010, San Francisco passed a ordinance that would have required manufacturers to disclose each phone's Specific Absorption Rate (the amount of RF energy absorbed by the body), but abandoned it a year later after losing the first round of a legal challenge by CTIA.

The Berkeley law is more narrowly tailored. "This ordinance is fundamentally different from what San Francisco passed," Harvard law professor Lawrence Lessig, who helped draft the Berkeley law, told the council at last night's meeting. He has offered to defend the measure in court pro bono. "San Francisco's ordinance was directed at trying to get people to use their cellphones less. This ordinance is just about giving people the information they need to use their phone the way it is intended."

Safety tests mandated by the Federal Communications Commission, which regulates radiation levels in communication devices, assume that users will carry cellphones at least a small distance from their bodies in holsters. Storing phones in pockets or bras may expose users to RF heating effects that exceed FCC guidelines. For this reason, the FCC requires phone companies to disclose the minimum distance from the body that users should carry their phones—yet these guidelines are typically buried deep inside phones' menus and sub-menus, or in the fine print of user manuals.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Pris
    Pris

Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks Empty Re: Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks

Post  Pris Tue May 19, 2015 11:29 pm

The City Council of Berkeley, California last night unanimously voted to require electronics retailers to warn customers about the potential health risks associated with radio-frequency (RF) radiation emitted by cellphones, setting itself up to become the first city in the country to implement a cellphone "right to know" law.

Wonderful!!

One tiny step in the right direction.

The industry claims the law is unconstitutional......
    "The forced speech is misleading and alarmist because it would cause consumers to take away the message that cell phones are dangerous and can cause breast, testicular, or other cancers."

Umm... 'misleading and alarmist'?!  Gawd, these people are sick.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks Empty Re: Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks

Post  Carol Tue May 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Years back I had a series of thermography scans of what happens to someones brain while on the cell phone. In only seconds you could see how the radiation heated up the blood which over time can create brain damage, tumors and/or cancer. When using a cell phone I put it on speaker phone and hold it away from the body. Just the heat from the phone is uncomfortable after a few minutes. One can imagine the other types of damage the radiation can create. We do have EMF blockers on our phones and computers but even still, it is a concern.

Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Wed May 20, 2015 7:26 pm

The whole EMF topic is distressing.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Thu May 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Yes, it is. However I was doing some research on the average age of someone 200 years ago before dying and it was around 37. It is somewhat astonishing how long lived so many folks are with the various global contaminations (food, air, water along with EMF) yet now the average age is around 77. Go figure.

Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Carol wrote:Yes, it is. However I was doing some research on the average age of someone 200 years ago before dying and it was around 37. It is somewhat astonishing how long lived so many folks are with the various global contaminations (food, air, water along with EMF) yet now the average age is around 77. Go figure.

Lol Thanks for that, Carol.  37... was that an average for population around the globe?  In some places (going how far back?), people living to 100+ doesn't seem to be such a big deal.

Still, makes you wonder how long we'd live on average if we weren't, generally, being subjected to constant negative bombardment -- not just physically, but mentally.

For myself, just talking about subjects such as this is likely taking years off my life. Hmmm
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Fri May 22, 2015 4:47 pm

Carol wrote:Years back I had a series of thermography scans of what happens to someones brain while on the cell phone. In only seconds you could see how the radiation heated up the blood which over time can create brain damage, tumors and/or cancer. When using a cell phone I put it on speaker phone and hold it away from the body. Just the heat from the phone is uncomfortable after a few minutes. One can imagine the other types of damage the radiation can create. We do have EMF blockers on our phones and computers but even still, it is a concern.

The potential damage to our brain by holding mobile phones near our head is something I think is realistic, despite the fact that we grow older, in general Ancient One The effect of such a device became clear to me when I chose to have a landline again, last year, buying an old fashioned phone: 2 handsets which sit in a base connected to electricity and can be taken out and held without a wire attached, in 2 locations of my home.

I used that phone one night and I noticed how comfortable it felt in my hand and how the tone of voice of the person on the other end, is much
    more pleasant and less "sharp" in my ears. Also the person on the other side felt more comfortable with the sound of my voice. Nowadays, I can
    feel the energy of my mobile phone through my hand and up to halfway my lower arm as an annoying vibration. I've never worn it directly on my
    body. Like you, Carol, I hold my mobile phone on a distance, with the speaker on, when I use it, which is seldom. I use my mobile phone when
    traveling and mainly for making pictures, like many of the images I've shared here. A phone cover made of felt I found helpful in blocking the electrosmog a bit. Here's an article about the healing qualities of flax - linen in its capacity to reflect light:

http://www.fabrics-store.com/blog/2009/05/20/linen-the-preferred-fabric-for-clothing-of-healing-healthy-living-and-well-being/
    Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Sat May 23, 2015 12:37 am

B.B.Baghor wrote:
    Carol wrote:Years back I had a series of thermography scans of what happens to someones brain while on the cell phone. In only seconds you could see how the radiation heated up the blood which over time can create brain damage, tumors and/or cancer. When using a cell phone I put it on speaker phone and hold it away from the body. Just the heat from the phone is uncomfortable after a few minutes. One can imagine the other types of damage the radiation can create. We do have EMF blockers on our phones and computers but even still, it is a concern.

The potential damage to our brain by holding mobile phones near our head is something I think is realistic, despite the fact that we grow older, in general  Ancient One The effect of such a device became clear to me when I chose to have a landline again, last year, buying an old fashioned  phone: 2 handsets which sit in a base connected to electricity and can be taken out and held without a wire attached, in 2 locations of my home.

I used that phone one night and I noticed how comfortable it felt in my hand and how the tone of voice of the person on the other end, is much
    more pleasant and less "sharp" in my ears. Also the person on the other side felt more comfortable with the sound of my voice. Nowadays, I can
    feel the energy of my mobile phone through my hand and up to halfway my lower arm as an annoying vibration. I've never worn it directly on my
    body. Like you, Carol,  I hold my mobile phone on a distance, with the speaker on, when I use it, which is seldom. I use my mobile phone when
    traveling and mainly for making pictures, like many of the images I've shared here. A phone cover made of felt I found helpful in blocking the electrosmog a bit. Here's an article about the healing qualities of flax - linen in its capacity to reflect light:

http://www.fabrics-store.com/blog/2009/05/20/linen-the-preferred-fabric-for-clothing-of-healing-healthy-living-and-well-being/

DNA damage has been proven with exposure to non-ionizing radiation.  There is no amount that is 'safe'.

Just curious, are you saying your phone is a cordless phone that sits in a 'wired' base?  If it is, those, unfortunately, also give off large amounts of EMFs.  Some even give off more radiation than cell phones.  The only safe phone is completely wired.

http://www.electricsense.com/815/cordless-phones-even-more-dangerous-than-cell-phones/
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Sat May 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Pris wrote:
    B.B.Baghor wrote:

The potential damage to our brain by holding mobile phones near our head is something I think is realistic, despite the fact that we grow older, in general  Ancient One The effect of such a device became clear to me when I chose to have a landline again, last year, buying an old fashioned  phone: 2 handsets which sit in a base connected to electricity and can be taken out and held without a wire attached, in 2 locations of my home.

body. Like you, Carol,  I hold my mobile phone on a distance, with the speaker on, when I use it, which is seldom. I use my mobile phone when

DNA damage has been proven with exposure to non-ionizing radiation.  There is no amount that is 'safe'.

Just curious, are you saying your phone is a cordless phone that sits in a 'wired' base?  If it is, those, unfortunately, also give off large amounts of EMFs.  Some even give off more radiation than cell phones.  The only safe phone is completely wired.

http://www.electricsense.com/815/cordless-phones-even-more-dangerous-than-cell-phones/

Thank you, Pris, for the link above, I will have a look into it. I know that my landline phones have a working-reach of about 25 meters. I've
    shared my experience with the landline-phones: these devices feel much more comfortable, while holding them to my hands and ears.
    For what it's worth to you or others here, I've learned to program my body cells and dna, by telling them what's present and what's coming,
    when I know what's present and coming is potentially threatening the state of ease in them. As I believe is true in psychology, also on a
    cellular level uncertainty and fear are often caused by a lack of information... of understanding silent
    Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Sun May 24, 2015 4:25 am

B.B.Baghor wrote:Thank you, Pris, for the link above, I will have a look into it. I know that my landline phones have a working-reach of about 25 meters. I've
    shared my experience with the landline-phones: these devices feel much more comfortable, while holding them to my hands and ears.
    For what it's worth to you or others here, I've learned to program my body cells and dna, by telling them what's present and what's coming,
    when I know what's present and coming is potentially threatening the state of ease in them. As I believe is true in psychology, also on a
    cellular level uncertainty and fear are often caused by a lack of information... of understanding silent

I think I hear what you are saying.

For me, it's like there are three 'truths' in how we comprehend this 'reality'.

The first truth is that ignorance makes one vulnerable.

The second truth is the realization that we can be harmed.

The third truth is realizing that knowledge can be gained to help form the necessary mindset required to empower us to take action and steer clear of danger -- or, at the very least, steer headlong into it without fear.  There is no power greater than our own.
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Sun May 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Thank you, Pris, for what you explain as the three truths. "There is no power greater than our own" so very well put!
    The first one: "The first truth is that ignorance makes one vulnerable". That's as much true to me as that knowledge can
    make one vulnerable, although to intentional use of force from the outside, for example when held and shared by any person
    going out of tune with the treadmill rithm and fixed google glass - and belief systems. I think it takes great courage in this:
    "to help form the necessary mindset required to empower us to take action and steer clear of danger -- or, at the very least,
    steer headlong into it without fear". If that's wisdom at the same time remains to be seen, but that's part of the game of life.
     Wink

Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks Images20
    Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Sun May 24, 2015 2:17 pm

B.B.Baghor wrote:Thank you, Pris, for what you explain as the three truths. "There is no power greater than our own" so very well put!
    The first one: "The first truth is that ignorance makes one vulnerable". That's as much true to me as that knowledge can
    make one vulnerable, although to intentional use of force from the outside, for example when held and shared by any person
    going out of tune with the treadmill rithm and fixed google glass - and belief systems. I think it takes great courage in this:
    "to help form the necessary mindset required to empower us to take action and steer clear of danger -- or, at the very least,
    steer headlong into it without fear". If that's wisdom at the same time remains to be seen, but that's part of the game of life.
     Wink

Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks Images20

If all of this is just a game...

Berkeley Votes to Warn Cellphone Buyers of Health Risks Funny-pictures-kitteh-solitaire

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:15 pm