tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?)

Raven
    Raven

Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?) Empty Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?)

Post  Raven Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:40 pm

http://www.worldpolyamoryassociation.org/about.html

[size=18]The World Polyamory Association is a synergistic network of polyamorists,
    people who love more than one in intimate relationships. These cultural
    creatives consciously collaborate to heal the planet by creating a a
    new paradigm of peace and love. We envision a world where personal
    choice is honored, freedom of expression's celebrated, individuality's
    embraced and love's revered. In polyamory, love is celebrated through
    varied relationship structures, diversity of its people, sexual
    orientation and avenues of expression. Polyamory (loving many) is a
    high art form and a profound spiritual path which encourages honesty,
    authentic relating, conscious connections, kind communication and
    unconditional love. Relating polyamorously frees all of us, awakens the
    world and propels the planet towards peace.

Last edited by Raven on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Raven
    Raven

Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?) Empty Re: Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?)

Post  Raven Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:56 pm

ARE WE REALLY MONO-POLY
    By Janet Kira Lessin

Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?) CupidPsyche

Doctors Hal and Sidra Stone teach us that we have many "voices" within ourselves. We each have our own set of voices, be they the Inner Critic, the Inner Child, the Inner Pope, the Inner Aphrodite or any of a myriad possible combinations.

At different times these voices battle for dominance within us. We each have inner dichotomies -- poles of opposition vying for the upper hand. The Inner Catholic conflicts with the Inner Atheist, for example.

Where we find ourselves in any given point in our existence, we tend to throw stones at our opposites. In life we tend to attract to us, to "hire" in a sense our "disowned selves." We see in others what we least like about ourselves. These "mirrors" act as a reflection to us of those parts we need to incorporate into our being, in order to feel whole and complete.

As we seek to come to complete integration of our many selves, or subpersonalities, we strive to come to our center, or as we say in voice dialogue, to develop an "aware ego". Many books have chronicled this search for enlightenment.

Two complete opposites, almost universally, are our Inner Monogamist and our Inner Polyamorist (loving more than one in an intimate relationship). Never before has there been such debate, especially in this Judeo/Christian culture. Why does it seem that so many polyamorists are attracted to and marry so many monogamists and vice versa? If we were to imagine the center for this dichotomy, what would we find? Could it be a combination of the best of both worlds, that which I refer to as Mono-Poly?

As we observe the world around us, it doesn't appear that mankind is truly monogamous; with our incredible divorce rate that is rapidly heading towards sixty-five percentile for us "baby boomers". That's not counting our infidelity rate, which is staggering. Add on top of that the "happiness factor", those who stay together only because of the kids, the bills, the family, habit, etc. and the figures really get alarming. What's going on here?

Despite all of the above, it does appear that we humans do tend to "pair bond". Even at the east and west poly conferences last year, it was observable; twos seeking three, couples seeking couples, even those "expanded group marriages" within them appeared to have groupings, two by two! Lets now examine the pros of each lifestyle.

With monogamy, one can embrace the creation; man/woman, Adam/Eve, two by two, the dyad, romanticism. Many find it fashionable to trounce romanticism, but face it; romance is fun! It gives one that chemical rush, that "high" of a new love, NRE (New Relationship Energy)!

Monogamy reinforces the security of a stable home, Mom and Dad, someone we can turn to in thick and thin, loyalty, commitment, our "best friend". Monogamy provides that special someone to whom you can confess your deepest, darkest secrets; that person with whom you have that "special" something that only you two know and share.

Monogamy resonates the feeling the feeling of forever, security, safety, warm fuzzies. It provides that person to whom you return when your poly adventures turn sour and they "dump" you.

Spiritually it resembles "the split-apart", the "twin flame", symbolized in the yin/yang. The twin flame is that one special person that for some inexplicable reason you feel this incredible bond that transcends time and space. When you meet that person, it bowls you over. You connect, not just on one or two chakras, but on all chakras. You realize how you never really completely connected with anyone else before and if they left, you would never go this deep ever again. It is a merging; a oneness with Man/Woman/God/Goddess/Universe.

Historically, says Dr. Helen Fisher (Anatomy of Love, Norton: 1992), monogamy insured at least two people stayed together and committed to their child's survival; staying together until he was "weaned" and somewhat self-sufficient before parting (about 4 years).

Now that we've shown the virtues of monogamy, what possibly are the the pros of polyamory?

Obviously the first thing is "variety is the spice of life". In polyamory we have sexual variety, which is very exciting and attractive to many of us. We also have more than one person with whom do things with, so one person is not trying to meet all of our "needs", which is virtually impossible.

In polyamory, one has many mirrors in which to reflect; many points of view in which to learn and grow. In a poly household, there are many hands to accomplish tasks, to pull resources together.

Polyamory resonates the security of the "tribe"; the memory of which resides deep within many of us. With numerous to defend the women and children and assure their survival, the survival of the tribe, the children and continuance was assured against predators and foes.

As souls we appear to be created in soul groups that find one another lifetime after lifetime. We have many "soul mates" that we have loved through many lifetimes; that we have loved in various fashions time and again. As souls we know that we have an endless, boundless capacity to love. Polyamory brings our natural state of loving oneness and that ability to love all into the physical.

Statistically it appears that our marriages and dyadic relationships seem to last on the average of 3.5 to 4 years. Currently there are no real statistics available on poly relationships. We can only speculate as many remain hidden to protect their lifestyles and their families.

In my poly group, I have seen first hand the trials and tribulations of loving more than one. It is certainly not an easy path to undertake, no easier than monogamy, it appears. Broken hearts happen here as well.

Recently, I heard one staggering statistic from a local Hawaii talk show host, Kevin Hughes, which made me stand up and take notice. He said that swingers stay married on the average of 23 years! Wait a minute... 23 years! Let's take a look at that one! So I did.

I had noticed in conversations on the Internet that there are many who define themselves as "swingers" who are actually couples seeking other couples with whom to love. They just don't have any other models. They've never heard the vocabulary. Perhaps they really are poly?

I had noticed that I myself had been passing judgment and throwing stones at swingers, if only to myself. I wanted to observe things first hand, see what was really going on. So, I asked my husband, Sasha, if he wanted to check out one of the swinger's parties. After some debate, we decided the best course of action was to open up invite the local swingers organization to have a party at our house. This way, we would be able to make the most scientifically accurate observations. With some reservations and much anticipation, the party began.

What we discovered from our party is that swingers traditionally do not allow any single men in their functions. Parties are strictly couples with once in a while the occasional single woman, who is usually bisexual.

They do what I call "inclusionary lovemaking". One man told me, "I would never imagine going somewhere and making it with anyone without my wife. We are a matched set. Love me, love my dog".

In swinging, there doesn't appear to be any "mini-monoging; that little mini-affair away from home, discreet, unseen, separate from one another. Swingers seem to love together, in parties, with another couple, in the same room, or out of the room but not very far out of site from one another. They always remain connected in some way; sensing each other; feeling each other. Rather sweet, huh?

I'm not advocating that swinging is "THE MODEL" for all of the world. It is just that I no longer throw stones at them and I'm now taking a deeper look. I see the love. Many swingers develop lifelong friendships with those whom they engage in sexual play.

One thing to notice is that there are only about 200 in attendance at each poly conference each year where there are more than 3,000 who attend the Lifestyles Conference for the whole time with approximately 10,000 additional attendees for the daily events attending the workshops visiting booths and exhibitions.

I feel that, in the final analysis, we act from "choice." Even if we define ourselves as belonging to one relationship type, it appears that life throws a wrench at you; someone comes into your life; you respond with love; and soon you find yourself somewhere else along the continuum. After all, the only thing constant in life is change.

Perhaps that's truly what Hal and Sidra Stone talk about when they speak of centering oneself and the "dance of the selves" as the path to awareness and wholeness in life.

As we seem to go from lifetime to lifetime experiencing being every religion, race, color and creed, we find within our soul group that we have experienced being every imaginable configuration of friends, family and lovers. We do this dance time and again, hurting and being hurt, until one day we, find that we have completed all karma, our soul group reunites in bliss and we return home to "go out no more". Bless free will. Enjoy the adventure.

Namaste-

printed in Loving More Magazine #22

http://schooloftantra.net/articles/Tantra/article_monopoly.htm

Raven
    Raven

Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?) Empty Four Men and Two Ladies

Post  Raven Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Another great article by the same lady. Warning this is adult content reading and highly erotic!!! Have a glass of water handy *giggles*.

http://schooloftantra.net/articles/Polyamory/FourMen&TwoLadies.htm
    Raven
    Raven

Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?) Empty Question of Monogamy

Post  Raven Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:04 pm

Raven
    Raven

Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?) Empty Thoughts from Dan Savage (Hilarious)

Post  Raven Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:08 pm

I love this guys total brutal honesty :)
    Raven
    Raven

Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?) Empty Nipple Assistant

Post  Raven Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Raven
    Raven

Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?) Empty Negotiated Infidelity?

Post  Raven Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:13 pm

The times they are a changing, check this article and cnn video out.

Sugarbabe favors negotiated infidelity.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/08/03/negotiated.infidelity/index.html?npt=NP1

New York (CNN) -- Could letting your man sleep with another woman help your relationship?

Author and former mistress Holly Hill thinks so.

"One of the main things that I have learned is that a woman that
    negotiates infidelity with her partner is far more powerful than a woman
    who is sitting home wondering why he's late from the office Christmas
    party," she says.

"It's better to walk the dog on a leash than let it escape through an unseen hole in the back fence."
    Jonah
    Jonah

Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?) Empty Re: Polyamory and its Pioneers (What is is like to love many?)

Post  Jonah Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:48 pm

love it..

oh yes mona me the time they are a changin Exclamation

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:19 pm