tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

"Dune" an epic early sixites sci fi movie, by Frank Herbert

B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

"Dune" an epic early sixites sci fi movie, by Frank Herbert  Empty "Dune" an epic early sixites sci fi movie, by Frank Herbert

Post  B.B.Baghor Thu May 08, 2014 11:03 am

This movie came out in the early sixties, a great piece of work I think. It's based on the story published as a book first.
    What I like about this movie here, in 2 parts, is the epic character and pathos, the props and costumes, the quality of acting.
    And oh... the acceleration of Letho Aytreides pace, when he chooses the golden path and transforms himself,
    spice worm being and human being in fusion. I really love to see that, it's so magical! And he's sexy too  Cheerful 

I enjoy following the mix of human and non-human interaction in it. How it's played out in power games and matters of love,
    often brutally and dramatically entwined. I always enjoyed to witness that in Sci Fi movies like Star Trek,
    The Enterprise and Babylon 5 too. Isn't it great, to be comfortably confronted with our own drama, giggling about it,
    somewhat ill at ease, when looking at movies like this one?

Here are some thought provoking lines in Frank Herberts' movie:

Chani (Pauls wife)          : "Will we ever have peace, Maud'Dib?"
    Paul Atreides (Maud'Dib): "We'll have victory".

Unknown speaker "... Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken."

Paul Artreides: "Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fear and it will pass through me and when it is gone there will be nothing, only I will remain".

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen: "Perverting common wisdom, nephew, is a mark of all great conspiracies".

Doesn't it feel good, to watch a movie like this and recognise the drama in others?  Bleh 

Dune by Frank Herbert Part 1

Dune by Frank Herbert Part 2

Source http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/

The Sci-Fi Channel's production of Frank Herbert's Dune is a vast epic tale bristling with adventure, romance, and political intrigue. It's an epic saga that's faithfully told, staying true to its source material with well-developed characters and an engrossing plot that's complex, yet entirely comprehensible. Most importantly, it's a miniseries that's extremely enjoyable to watch; this isn't an example of slow pretension, but rather a spirited and rousing adventure. Running at nearly 5 hours, the production is always a lot of fun to watch, and never flags in pacing or momentum.

Dune is a spectacular production, aided by some of the best interior sets on screen to date. The CGI effects are excellent, given the budgetary limitations, and the giant sandworms stand out, especially in their awe-inspiring first appearance. The miniseries has a lavish, gorgeous look to it (courtesy of cinemtographer Vittorio Storraro), wisely separating it from its lacking predecessor (the Lynch disaster). Writer/director John Harrison achieves tight pacing through superb editing and storytelling. He also does a fine job delivering rousing action sequences, the knife fights are dynamic and the epic battle scenes are fast-paced and exciting. I'm certain there will still be discontent Herbert fans, but I found this a fully satisfying miniseries on almost all counts.

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 pm