tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

4 posters

Interview and nervous as hell

pityocamptes
    pityocamptes

Interview and nervous as hell Empty Interview and nervous as hell

Post  pityocamptes Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Wow, a good friend of mine went out in my behalf and talked me up to his boss on an upcoming position that has not yet been posted. I believe I am perfect for the position. He calls me yesterday and says - can you come in today (afternoon) because my boss wants to have an "informal meeting" with you. He (my friend) basically said he has opened the door for me, sell myself and don't "f" is up and your golden. He would not commit, but I assume the "code" speech is I may get it. I'm nervous as hell. Basically a dream job. Any advice? I wonder why he is being so cryptic? Thoughts? Thanks!
    Jonah
    Jonah

Interview and nervous as hell Empty Re: Interview and nervous as hell

Post  Jonah Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Trust that whatever happens is exactly what is supposed to happen!
    Hold your head high and know that a job does not tell you who you are.. only you can do that!
    pityocamptes
    pityocamptes

Post  pityocamptes Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Jonah wrote:Trust that whatever happens is exactly what is supposed to happen!
    Hold your head high and know that a job does not tell you who you are.. only you can do that!

I agree. Thank you. Its been a long time since I have had to go through this :)
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:25 pm

I would like to make several suggestions if you don't mind pity.

First meditate and ask yourself to focus on a few questions to ask this potential boss as this interview is also your opportunity to interview the boss about the job, expectations, what is he looking for, what are his goals, if you are selected how would he view your roll within the organization.

Second, after you are clear about what information you would like to have in order to make a decision for yourself regarding working for this organization if offered the job; write down you questions on a small notepad you can pull out and review during the interview.

In the past when I interview, I knew my credentials would work in my favor, but what I didn't know is if the job was a fit for my personality, nor if the job was something I really wanted to do. This is where your questioning the interviewer is key.

Often times an employer wants to not only know about your skills but also about your availability. I usually answer this type of question by saying "I'll do whatever it takes to get the job done." More specifically put in the hours or do the research, have others check my work, work in partnership with others who are stronger then I in areas where I can use help, etc. Team work is key with employers as they want someone who can get along with others and is willing to do whatever it takes to complete a job on time.

I can't begin to tell you the over-time hours I had to put in just to get budgets and state reports in on time. As an employer myself I just wanted someone who was competent, had good job skills, showed up on time and was in good health, dressed appropriately, got along with other staff and made my job easier because I didn't have to pick up the slack if they didn't do their job.

And third. You may want to practice saying your questions out loud in front of the mirror so you can practice your presentation. The more comfortable you are in the interview the better. This means you have confidence in the skills you bring to the job and already know you would be an asset to any organization. Now you just need to find out if they are a fit with who you are and what you have to offer.

Kaki or black colored slacks, black shoes, black socks, blue or white solid color shirt - shave, brush and floss teeth, wash your hair and have it groomed - take briefcase or note pad in professional looking folder with pen. Personally, depending if you have to bring work samples in go with the briefcase, I'd bring the notepad. Be sure to have a copy of your resume and it would help to have samples of your work in a notebook with clear plastic pages. The notepad will works to take notes as well when you get your questions asked, even if just to check off each question as you go down your list. I generally do not ask about salary and benefits during the first interview. If the interviewer really likes you he will likely bring this up as a lure to get you on board. First impressions mean a lot and looking professional from the onset sets a good tone, provides you with that little extra boost of self-confidence and shows that you are coming prepared.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Every experience is an opportunity to come to realize who you really are.
    Although we can't predict when that moment will come we should always be ready for it .
    Life without fear is what will get you there . Embrace what comes with an open Heart.
    I wish you well Cheerful

Love from me
    mudra

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:17 am