tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

March 20th Super Moon could bring trouble to Earth

burgundia
    burgundia

March 20th Super Moon could bring trouble to Earth Empty March 20th Super Moon could bring trouble to Earth

Post  burgundia Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 pm

March 20th Super Moon could bring trouble to Earth
    Wed, 03/02/2011 - 13:54 — smashdracs

According to the AccuWeather.com Astronomy blog, the March Full Moon, which falls on the 19th, could bring more than we bargain for on Earth, and maybe even right here in the Capital Region of Albany. On March 19th (20th NZ time), the moon will make its closest approach to Earth in 18 years, also known as the lunar perigee. One astrologer has coined this event as a "SuperMoon," during which a new or full moon is at 90% or greater of its closest perigee to Earth. This time the moon will be 356,577 km from the earth, which is the 6th closest approach for the moon between 1985 and 2012.

So what is the big deal about this SuperMoon? Many theorists claim that this SuperMoon will bring strong earthquakes and/or storms as well as unusual climate patterns to the planet. You can argue for yourself whether or not the moon is the cause of this, or some other factor.

In history, there were Super (full) Moons in 1955, 1974, 1992, and 2005. All of this years had their share of extreme weather, but was it just conincidence or was it caused by the Moon? It is already known that the moon does have impacts and affects on the Earth such as lunar tides, but does the SuperMoon cause an increase in extreme weather?

What do you think? Do you think there is any validity to this theory or is it just crazy talk? Sound off below in the comments section!

So if you are one to believe this talk, prepare now for volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, and/or major storms and floods. For those who are unsure, the last extreme SuperMoon in 2005 was right around the time of the 2004 Indonesia 9.1 magnitude earthquake on December 26th, coincidence or not? Also, for those weather fanatics, the March 8, 2003 perigee happened just over an hour before the full moon then, which was only days before the March 12-13th Superstorm. So could Albany be in store for another major snowstorm later this month followed by severe floods and maybe an earthquake? There seem to be more questions than answers, so only time will tell what the moon has in store for us this month.

SOURCE: http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-albany/march-supermoon-could-bring-ch...

Extreme Super (Full) Moon to Cause Chaos?

Coming up later this month (March 19 to be exact/20th NZ time) the moon will make its closest approach to Earth (called lunar perigee) in 18 years. A new or full moon at 90% or greater of its closest perigee to Earth has been named a "SuperMoon" by astrologer Richard Nolle. This term has been recently picked up by astronomers. An extreme "SuperMoon" is when the moon is full or new as well as at its 100% greater mean perigee (closest) distance to earth. By this definition, last month's full moon, this month's and next month's will all be extreme "SuperMoons".

I have read several "new age" forecasts that go something like this: "Extreme SuperMoon this month (March 2011) will bring strong earthquakes and storms and/or unusual climate patterns." Google the term 'extreme SuperMoon March 2011' and see for yourself what comes up. The validity of these types of forecasts can be debated ad nauseum.

There were Super (full) Moons in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005. These years had their share of extreme weather. Is the Super (full) Moon and the extreme weather a coincidence? Some would say yes; some would say no. I'm not here to pick sides and say I'm a believer or non-believer in subjects like this, but as a scientist I know enough to ask questions and try to find answers.

We obviously know that there are scientific laws that say the moon affects the Earth (i.e. tides). There are also less proven theories that say the moon affects the Earth (i.e. abnormal behavior during a full moon). Can the Super (full) Moon contribute to extreme weather?

AccuWeather Facebook fanpage member Daniel Vogler adds, "The last extreme super moon occurred was on January 10th, 2005, right around the time of the 9.0 Indonesia earthquake. That extreme super moon was a new moon. So be forewarned. Something BIG could happen on or around this date. (+/- 3 Days is my guess)"

So what can we expect this time? Earthquakes? Volcanic eruptions? I guess we can only wait and see.

SOURCE: http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/astronomy/story/46417/extreme-super-ful...

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:10 am