tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

Ridge urges Americans to be ready, not afraid - (READY FOR TERRORISM? I DOUBT IT- THINK YELLOWSTONE)

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Ridge urges Americans to be ready, not afraid - (READY FOR TERRORISM? I DOUBT IT- THINK YELLOWSTONE) Empty Ridge urges Americans to be ready, not afraid - (READY FOR TERRORISM? I DOUBT IT- THINK YELLOWSTONE)

Post  Carol Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Ridge urges Americans to be ready, not afraid
    February 20, 2003|By Michael Kilian, Washington Bureau.
    WASHINGTON — Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge on Wednesday launched a national Ready Campaign to prepare Americans for terrorist attacks, urging them to take such measures as storing 3 or more gallons of water for each family member and watching for dead birds as a sign of chemical attack. A week after Ridge and his department came under fire for suggesting that duct tape and plastic sheeting would be a defense against possible attacks, the homeland security secretary traveled to Cincinnati to tout the new campaign he said was designed primarily to prevent fear and panic.

"Fear is the terrorists' most effective weapon," Ridge said. "The threat of terrorism forces us to make a choice. We can be afraid or we can be ready. And today America's families declare we will not be afraid and we will be ready."

The campaign's list of recommendations elaborated on some of the precautionary steps Ridge urged last week after the Bush administration raised the terrorist threat level from yellow, for "elevated risk," to orange, for "high risk." Ridge did not say when he expected the threat level to be reduced to yellow, though he had indicated over the weekend that it might be soon.

Speaking Wednesday, Ridge said, "Stash away the duct tape," prompting laughter from the audience. "Don't use it, stash it away, and that premeasured plastic sheeting for future--and I emphasize future--use."

Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) criticized Ridge's suggestions last week, charging that the homeland security effort was seriously underfunded and that duct tape was no substitute for federal money.

A spokesman for Daschle said he had no immediate response to Wednesday's presentation. A spokeswoman for Pelosi said that she had no additional comment but that the sentiments she expressed about underfunding last week still stood.

Rob Perks, spokesman for the environmentalist Natural Resources Defense Council, said that although the readiness campaign was welcome, the administration had failed to take steps to protect Americans from an attack on highly vulnerable chemical plants.

"While we applaud any effort to better inform the public about these dangers and about ways to cope in an attack," Perks said, "we cannot help but observe that the Bush administration has failed to take meaningful steps to reduce the likelihood that Americans will need to run or shield themselves from a toxic release caused by an attack on a chemical plant."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-02-20/news/0302200356_1_duct-tape-homeland-security-ridge

PERSONAL NOTE: Okay, lets get real here. I used to be a PUBLIC HEALTH EDUCATOR AND ACTING DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC HEALTH. THE PRIMARY GOAL OF THE PUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT WAS NOT TO PANIC PEOPLE EVEN WHEN WE KNEW OF SIGNIFICANT PUBLIC HEALTH DANGERS IN THE COMMUNITY THAT THE PUBLIC WAS UNAWARE OF. In my personal opinion people are being warned under the guise of a possible terrorist threat (WHICH ALMOST NO ONE BELIEVES ANYMORE, ANYWAY) TO PREPARE. THE REAL ISSUE HERE IS PREPARE FOR WHAT? HOW ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF BOTH YELLOWSTONE AND THE MIDRID FAULT CREATING MAJOR NATURAL DISASTERS...

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION. THESE ARE THE CONCERNS I HAVE. WHAT MAKES YELLOWSTONE SO DANGEROUS IS THE MICROSCOPIC GLASS PARTICLES THAT WOULD BE EJECTED INTO THE ATMOSPHERE THAT HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT ON AIRPLANES, MACHINES, AND ALL OF LIFE WHO INHALE THIS STUFF AS IT DOES NOT DECOMPOSE AND WILL CREATE SMALL CUTS IN THE LUNGS WHICH CAN EVENTUALLY LEAD TO PNEUMONIA AND SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF LIFE. ONE NEEDS A FACE MASK THAT FILTERS OUT 95% OF STUFF AND IT'S UNLIKELY ANYTHING WILL FILTER OUT THE GAS UNLESS ONE HAS A GAS MASK. A VOLCANOLOGIST WOULD HAVE A BETTER IDEA AS TO WHAT THEY USE WHEN COLLECTING DATA FROM ACTIVE VOLCANOES.

One would hope that FEMA and other Public Health Departments in the possible affected areas would have a store of the appropriate face masks on hand so if they are aware of ongoing harmonic tremors that the public will be notified in time to obtain these masks. I would hope they approach the schools first and prepare the children as to earthquake preparedness which would include masks, list of items to have stored (water, rice, oatmeal, dehydrated food, dried milk, comfort foods for the kids - backup gas camper single burner to heat water).

When Yellowstone erupts it may start off small but due to all of the build up of pressure and it being a caldera... this may go on for several weeks. Hopefully, as it gets closer to the day an eruption actually occurs (the time period I was given is somewhere around the second half of March) the public will be notified in time to evacuate the immediate area. It would be wise to have camping gear stored in the trunk on the car (tent, sleeping bags, water, energy bars, etc., maps of the area in the glove compartment, face masks, energy bars, candles, matches/lighter) when reports of earthquake activity finally makes main stream media (MSM). Keep the gas tank full and extra 5 gallon container of gas on hand.

For more information on Yellowstone see this thread: http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t1920-yellowstone-getting-ready-to-erupt?highlight=yellowstone

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    burgundia
    burgundia

Ridge urges Americans to be ready, not afraid - (READY FOR TERRORISM? I DOUBT IT- THINK YELLOWSTONE) Empty Re: Ridge urges Americans to be ready, not afraid - (READY FOR TERRORISM? I DOUBT IT- THINK YELLOWSTONE)

Post  burgundia Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Or they are planning " a terrorist" attack on the American soil. And the attack can come from Libya for example...( this is all speculation on my part of course).
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Ridge urges Americans to be ready, not afraid - (READY FOR TERRORISM? I DOUBT IT- THINK YELLOWSTONE) Empty Re: Ridge urges Americans to be ready, not afraid - (READY FOR TERRORISM? I DOUBT IT- THINK YELLOWSTONE)

Post  Carol Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:25 pm

That is also a possibility as they would likely stage another 9/11 event and blame it on Libya so to justify an attack.

In my email today:

Libya's armed forces are using machine guns and fighter jets against pro-democracy protesters -- hundreds have been killed and, without immediate international action, it could spiral into a national bloodbath.

The United Nations Security Council is holding emergency sessions on Libya now. If we can pressure them to agree to a no-fly zone over Libya, an asset freeze on Qaddafi and his generals, targeted sanctions against the regime, and international prosecution of any military officials involved in the crackdown -- this could stop airforce bombings and split Qaddafi's command structure.

We have no time to lose -- the people of Libya are being slaughtered by their own government. Click to send a message directly to all the UN Security Council delegations to stop the violence, and share this with everyone -- let's spur the UN to action with a flood of messages:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/libya_stop_the_crackdown_1/?vl

Colonel Qaddafi has ruled with an iron fist for 42 years with no parliament or constitution. He is the longest-serving dictator in Africa and the Middle East. No foreign press are allowed in Libya, and the government has shut down the internet and mobile phone networks in an attempt to hide the brutal violence. But protesters, who are demanding regime change and basic rights, are reporting that thousands of people are still taking to the streets even though hundreds have been massacred. UN human rights chief Navi Pillay says the government's attacks 'may amount to crimes against humanity'.

Appalled by the atrocities, Libyan diplomats and some army high command have already defected from the regime. If the UN can ramp up the pressure on Qaddafi and his cohorts -- confiscating their riches and threatening them with trials -- those commanding the brutality may reconsider and stop the bloodshed.

The UN Security Council presidency is now held by Brazil, a government with a strong commitment to human rights with whom Avaaz has a strong campaigning reputation. We don't have long to influence the UNSC -- let's flood their inboxes with messages from across the world! Send a message and forward this to friends and family:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/libya_stop_the_crackdown_1/?vl

The people of Libya are being gunned down for demanding freedom, health, education and a decent wage -- basic needs that we all share. Today, as a global community, let's raise our voices from every corner of the world to condemn the shocking massacres, and together take action to end the bloodshed and support the Libyans' rightful call for change.

With hope and determination,

Alice, Ricken, Pascal, Graziela, Rewan and the entire Avaaz team

Sources

UN council to discuss Libya, Al Jazeera
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/2011221214022682385.html

Choas and bloodshed in Libya
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/world/africa/23libya.html?_r=1&hp

Live updates on Libya from the Guardian and the BBC:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/feb/22/libya-erupts-gaddafi-live-updates
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 am