tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+2
baggywrinkle
Carol
6 posters

BEE KEEPING

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

BEE KEEPING Empty BEE KEEPING

Post  Carol Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:25 am

Bee Keeping cheers

Dadant Catalog: http://www.dadant.com/

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/beekeeping/

Beekeeping: The Beekeeper's Home Pages - Main Page
    Beekeeper's Jokes Archive
    Benny the Bee's Home Page
    Benny the Bee in Hungary
    Bee Language Dance Demonstration
    Beekeeper's Meetings Information
    Beekeeping News
    Archived News Articles
    Bear and Beekeeper Story
    Sanford's Beekeeping in the Digital Age
    he Nachbaur Papers - Editorials
    Beekeeper's Photographs
    Bee Hive Photos
    The Honey Page
    Honey Flowers Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Comb Honey Page
    Dr. Kerr: How He Brought Africanized Bees to Brazi
    EB White's The Song of the Queen Bee

How to Begin Beekeeping
    Leo Tolstoy: Bees in War and Peace
    Magazine Articles by Ron Miksha

Blog
    http://www.beesource.com/
    Resource for beekeeping

http://www.beemaster.com/honeybee/beehome.htm
    Online tutorial for beekeeping

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/beekeeping.html
    This publication discusses various aspects of beekeeping or apiculture, including state inspection programs, beginning basics, income sources and budgets, insurance, Africanized bees, organic certification, and various bee pests and diseases. Information on educational and training opportunities and further resources are also discussed.

Why are bees dying?
    http://dels.nas.edu/pollinators/?gcl...FQ1dPgodkhf1LQ
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...7beesdying.htm
    http://www.economist.com/science/dis...ory_id=9070846
    baggywrinkle
    baggywrinkle

BEE KEEPING Empty The Queens of Fancy Dutch Farm

Post  baggywrinkle Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:12 pm

They arrived yesterday in the trunk of our car. Two Italian queens and forty thousand loyal hand maidens.
    We successfully homed them in their new hives which are about as large as a portable documents file box.
    They are so gentle that it is easy to forget they fly armed. If you stand still they buzz about you in a chorus
    of natural music.

After twenty four hours the workers had eaten the marshmallow sealing the entrance of the queens prison. The colony
    has settled in and are busy doing what bees do. This year is an experiment to see how we do. If thing go well, come
    the harvest we will have 180 pounds or roughly eight gallons of honey to eat and barter with. If we succeed as good
    stewards we will expand to twenty five hives next year.

For the small holder they are an ideal livestock. Our tiny four acres would not support
    one cow. We must purchase feed for our chickens as we cannot raise our own. But the bees
    will support themselves once they are established. As good stewards we must only watch them for disease and allow them to do what they do.

They are a welcome blessing here at Fancy Dutch Farm
    Attachments
    BEE KEEPING AttachmentHoney.JPG
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (55 Kb) Downloaded 4 times
    baggywrinkle
    baggywrinkle

BEE KEEPING Empty Cleaning the equipment

Post  baggywrinkle Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:49 pm

Anyone here who knows us is aware that we are neo-luddites who seek to
    minimize and selectively employ technology. In many instances we have
    found that the ways of our grandfathers or the ways of nature are
    superior to what is offered in the marketplace Why buy a tractor when
    you can
    do the job with a cow, a horse, or a goat?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/9XfPTCafVIE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/9XfPTCafVIE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This hand operated honey extractor would also nicely convert to bicycle power to capitalize on the strength of YOUR CHILD'S legs.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/G9vnBls0tDM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/G9vnBls0tDM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    mudra
    mudra

BEE KEEPING Empty Re: BEE KEEPING

Post  mudra Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:54 pm

I wish you well with your colony of bees Baggywrinkle .
    Living myself in the middle of a big city listening to your wonderfull
    life close to nature is of great joy to my heart .
    These tales have become much too rare nowadays .
    To me this wisdom that should be shared
    from generation to generation ...
    How many citizens nowadays have still a clue of what it
    took to have a jar of honey made ?
    Part of my childhood I have spend in the country playing
    and helping around in a nearby farm . These are dear
    memories to me of my roots with mother earth.

Love from me
    mudra
    Bobbie
    Bobbie

Post  Bobbie Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:48 pm

I have been threatening, for the past few years, to build a wooden bee hive. I've got the plans but life happens and I don't get around to it. Ever since we had bees invade our house, I was determined to build another place for them to live. The road to hell is paved with the good intentions sometimes.

We live near a bee farm and go there for our raw honey. They've got a live bee hive inside the store that is connected to the outside by about a 4 inch tube so the bees can some and go. It's really neat to watch them and try to find the queen.

I so love what has been provided for us naturally and I love this thread - thanks so much for all the information and videos.

Last edited by Bobbie on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a sentence.)
    baggywrinkle
    baggywrinkle

BEE KEEPING Empty Urban bee keeping

Post  baggywrinkle Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Is urban beekeeping really possible? Can you really keep bees in the middle of a huge metropolis? Yep, it is possible, and many people do it. If you’re skeptical about the feasibility of keeping bees in the bustling city, would beehives kept on the roof of the Chicago City Hall convince you?
    It’s true. Since 2000, Chicago has maintained hives on the City Hall rooftop. The honey from these hives is harvested each year and auctioned off, with the proceeds going to charity. Recently, the City of Chicago has expanded their involvement in urban beekeeping by also placing bee hives on the roof of its Cultural Center. So it is quite feasible to keep bees in an urban environment.

Bees do Great in the City!
    In fact, honey bees seem to thrive in an urban environment. And it could even be argued that in some ways, city bees are better off than their country cousins. Bees kept in the country or even in a suburban environment are often at great risk of being poisoned by pesticides.

Whether encountered in a farm field sprayed by a crop duster, or in a homeowner’s back yard sprayed for dandelions, exposure to pesticides is devastating to honey bee colonies. But the risk of bees being exposed to a pesticide is much less in the middle of a city.

You might think that there wouldn’t be an adequate supply of nectar and pollen to support bee hives in a city, but that generally is not true. A city environment actually offers multiple sources of forage for honeybees. A city park with flowering trees, clover growing in the grass of roadside medians, potted flowers on windowsills and balconies, and many other sources provide an abundance of bee forage.

In fact, there are professional beekeepers that keep their hives on city rooftops and balconies specifically to harvest and sell the honey.

Want to Give it a Try?
    If you’re a city dweller, and you’re considering becoming involved in urban beekeeping, there are a few things to think about before ordering your hive.

You need to make sure it’s legal in your city. Most cities nowadays not only permit beekeeping, they even encourage it. But there are a few exceptions. One notable exception is the City of New York, which does not permit ownership of venomous insects. However, there is an effort underway to change that law in New York. (In the meantime, there are a number of residents who keep bees on their rooftop anyway. Not that I’m encouraging anyone to violate the law, of course!)

You should also be sure that you have a suitable location for your hive. It should be located where the flight path of the bees will not come close to pedestrians. A rooftop or balcony will make an excellent location, but be sure that you have control over who has access to the hive. You don’t want a neighbor’s child, for example, to have unsupervised access to the hive location.

Take care to work your bees when conditions are good, and the bees likely to be gentle and non-aggressive (obviously a good idea no matter where you live!). Also, be sure there are no pedestrians or bystanders around (other than those who have your permission to watch) when you work your bees. If the bees should become a bit testy, you don’t want anyone getting stung.

So if you’re interested in beekeeping, don’t let the fact that you live in a city keep you from giving it a try. Become an urban beekeeper. I can’t think of a better way to connect with nature in the middle of the big bad city!
    Ladyfreedom

Post  Ladyfreedom Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:48 pm

My dad, before he passed away, had a small bee hive. One quick lesson was to ALWAYS use white gloves! He had but one pair, and gave a neighbor who was helping, a pair of brown jerseys.
    Not realizing that the brown jersey glove sort of looks like the bee's predator, a huge brown spider!
    Within seconds, our neighbors hands were covered in bees. He quickly pulled the gloves off. They didn't even bother his bare hands. Just went after the brown gloves. lol
    I would have loved to taken my dad's hives when he passed away. But. I didn't know enough to keep them alive. Plus, I have horses on the property. And my mom was worried I'd be allergic to the bee stings. So she gave them to an experienced bee keeper. Hives, extractor, suites and all.

If I ever manage to expand our land to more than our small 10 acres though. I plan to try bee keeping though.
    lawlessline
    lawlessline

Post  lawlessline Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:35 am

Baggywinkle,

Thankyou for who you are and the info you give on the Bees. I am a honey baby. Love the stuff, the only suger you need.

Although I do not keep bees at the moment I would like to. I was told once that it is possible to build an "attracting Hive" in order to allow the colonisation of a queen to happen. Is this any different to a normal hive, and do you have experience in this?

I would like to follow the instructions you may have.

L&L

t

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:45 am