tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

The World’s Biggest Biometric Database Keeps Leaking People’s Data

mudra
    mudra

The World’s Biggest Biometric Database Keeps Leaking People’s Data  Empty The World’s Biggest Biometric Database Keeps Leaking People’s Data

Post  mudra Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:03 am

The World’s Biggest Biometric Database Keeps Leaking People’s Data

India’s collection of citizens’ fingerprints, faces, and irises was meant to simplify identification for 1.13 billion, but it’s ignited a privacy firestorm.

The World’s Biggest Biometric Database Keeps Leaking People’s Data  P-1-the-worldand8217s-biggest-biometric-database-keeps-leaking-peopleand8217s-data

India’s national scheme holds the personal data of more than 1.13 billion citizens and residents of India within a unique ID system branded as Aadhaar, which means “foundation” in Hindi. But as more and more evidence reveals that the government is not keeping this information private, the actual foundation of the system appears shaky at best.

On January 4, 2018, The Tribune of India, a news outlet based out of Chandigarh, created a firestorm when it reported that people were selling access to Aadhaar data on WhatsApp, for alarmingly low prices.

#TRIBUNEINVESTIGATION — #SECURITYBREACH | by @RachnaKhaira
    Rs 500, 10 minutes, and you have access to billion #Aadhaar details https://t.co/3vlJhbP94t pic.twitter.com/PRMutzR75d

— The Tribune (@thetribunechd) January 3, 2018

The investigation followed a man named Bharat Bhushan Gupta, a village-level entrepreneur who was lured into buying access to the database by people who approached him on WhatsApp. Gupta later realized that he had access to much more information than he’d asked for.

Concerned about what this might mean for ID holders, Gupta attempted to notify the Unique Identity Authority of India (UIDAI), the agency responsible for issuing Aadhaar numbers, about the problem, but was unable to confirm that UIDAI was aware of or addressing the problem. Gupta is one of 270,000 such village-level entrepreneurs who operate Common Service Centres responsible for various e-services between governments, businesses, and citizens.

He then approached Tribune journalist Rachna Khaira, who undertook the investigation.

Following the investigation, India Today conducted a “sting operation” of their own to confirm the findings of the Tribune reporter.

Operation #AadhaarLeaks
    Your Aadhaar details on sale for just Rs 2!
    Watch this India Today special investigation.#NEWSROOM Live at https://t.co/4fqxBVUizL pic.twitter.com/aUFypsiOhG

— India Today (@IndiaToday) January 5, 2018

Inconsistent Responses From Government

The UIDAI’s response to the breach was to file a criminal complaint against Rachna Khaira, who conducted the investigation into the breach of personal data and called it “misreporting.” When the Editors Guild condemned penalizing the reporter, the UIDAI’s response was to justify their action.

read on: Arrow https://www.fastcompany.com/40516447/the-worlds-biggest-biometric-database-keeps-leaking-peoples-data

Love Always
    mudra
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

The World’s Biggest Biometric Database Keeps Leaking People’s Data  Empty Re: The World’s Biggest Biometric Database Keeps Leaking People’s Data

Post  orthodoxymoron Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:57 pm

One of my theories is that Everything is in the Process of Being Revealed to Everyone (for better or worse, I know not). I've referred to a Hypothetical Investigative and Executive Judgment (possibly terminating in A.D. 2133). Some of this is based-upon Unorthodox Biblical-Interpretation (mostly from the Wisdom-Books and Major-Prophets of the Old-Testament, but also from the Gospels and Pauline-Epistles of the New-Testament). Some of this is based-upon a sort of Eschatological Legal-Theory. This is all very-tentative to me, but the technology and world-conditions are such that it is becoming more and more possible and believable. I've been living within this speculative delusional-system for several-years, and it seems to be destroying me, so I think I might need to do something else (like sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll, perhaps). Just Kidding. Astronomy in a Small Mountain-Observatory is one of the leading-possibilities. Watching Heavenly-Bodies is probably easier than Watching the Past, Present, and Future Unfold.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:25 am