tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

4 posters

Extreme Weather and other Earth Changes Report for 2015

bobhardee
    bobhardee

Extreme Weather and other Earth Changes Report for 2015 Empty Extreme Weather and other Earth Changes Report for 2015

Post  bobhardee Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:44 am

bobhardee
    bobhardee

Extreme Weather and other Earth Changes Report for 2015 Empty Re: Extreme Weather and other Earth Changes Report for 2015

Post  bobhardee Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:16 pm

7/9/2015
    By Barbara Liston

ORLANDO, Fla. (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of nesting birds vanished this spring from a Florida island refuge where they have come to breed for decades, leaving behind their unhatched eggs and mystifying wildlife officers trying to figure out why they disappeared.

The birds have been coming to Seahorse Key on Florida’s Gulf Coast for more than a century, and in recent times averaging 10,000 to 20,000 breeding pairs a year, said Vic Doig, biologist for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The birds returned in April, said Doig, who spotted them while conducting a survey. Days later, a caretaker noticed that they were all gone.

“Nobody really saw anything. One day they were there. The next day, they weren’t,” he said.

Seahorse Key, about 60 miles southwest of Gainesville, is part of the Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge, established in 1929 to protect nesting birds that numbered about 200,000 at the time. The birds were under threat from hunters who sold their plumage to makers of fashionable hats for women.

White ibis, tri-colored herons, snowy egrets and roseate spoonbills are among the rare wading birds with long and attractive feathers which return to Seahorse Key every year from April through June.

The refuge is a nature lover’s paradise where tour boat operators ferry sightseers around the rookery.

“When the birds are nesting there, the island is a chaotic, loud, busy place. All of a sudden, it’s like a ghost town,” Doig said.

There was no sign of traumatic injuries or disease in the few bird carcasses left behind after the exodus, he said.

A change in the local food supply seems unlikely, and a predator, such as the great horned owl, would be hard pressed to scare off so many birds spread out over one square mile.

Although a storm with wind gusts and lightning moved in around the time the birds left, that is a common occurrence in spring.

The island might have been buzzed by an aircraft or drone, Doig said, but there is no eyewitness evidence of an aircraft scaring off the birds.

The agency is also considering whether the birds could have been spooked by a helicopter that recently began ferrying beachgoers to an island about five miles away, he said.

With the investigation hitting a dead end, wildlife officers will have to wait to see if the birds return next year, Doig said.

(Editing by Frank McGurty and Mohammad Zargham
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Extreme Weather and other Earth Changes Report for 2015 Empty Re: Extreme Weather and other Earth Changes Report for 2015

Post  bobhardee Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:43 pm

7/9/2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5wDe7CFYR0

These folks do an excellent job put the various video clips together from around the world.
    Extreme Weather seems to be the new normal.
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:04 am

7/11/2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7whL9jvdL5s

Hold onto your winter clothes, you may need them.
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:16 pm

bobhardee wrote:7/11/2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7whL9jvdL5s

Hold onto your winter clothes, you may need them.

Hey bobhardee, are you prepared with the family, for the cold in your new home? I just now
    logged in to see if this sunny tubby was here. Had a good eye on the SO site and a pleased ear for
    Ben's cowboy style reports, created with such diligence. I like to listen to that language, so very different
    from the Dutch language vibes. I copied the link with the yawning sun, but you have shared it here
    already. Its significant, isn't it? I'm in wonder each day for the changes that are happening flower
    Almost can't keep track of them and often tell myself "You don't need to, in order to live in wellness" Cheerful

Brrr
    In need of winter clothes? I didn't bring them with me, oh no.... Shocked I had to travel light on my
    flying carpet, for having lost the last part of the magic spell to make it fly. Even with summer clothes
    the thing was nearly afloat on sea. Which isn't a guarantee for dry feet at all, as you may understand.
    At some point I had to ask my friends, the cormorants, to take the four corners of the rug in their beaks.
    No worries though, it's charity shops one after the other, in the city nearby the village I'm in now.
    Meaning there are lots of nice warm clothes for very small prices. It's an excellent chance for a change
    of outfit at the same time, having left much for winter on the other side of the sea.

bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi BB. What's up?
    If you are going to hit the Goodwill stores for winter clothes, now is a good time.....or even better yet, catch one of the Florida Goodwill stores. (Goodwill are stores that sell nothing but second hand clothes and other stuff.) They don't get a big run on winter clothes down there and the prices are always a bargain. Speaking for bargains, We hit the State Farmers market today and got some great white peaches. They are the best we have had this season. Also picked up cantaloupes (3 for a dollar),watermelon ( 2 dollars), blueberries (two containers for the price of one, and found a place to pick your peas and beans.

Being off the mountain and in the heart of South Carolina, where the average summer temperature has been 99 - 102 most everyday has been an easy adjustment. The cold weather was making my hands hurt and here they don't. I never thought I would be a fan of heat but have turned into such. Folks in the mountains complain when the temperature hits 88. Not sure how the log home will be this coming winter. So far this summer, it's not a energy efficient as I thought it would be, but I am still doing tons of maintenance to get systems to peak performance. I keep the temp on about 75 during the day and the heat pump gives us cool air and the house is comfortable. Not cold or cool but comfortable.

I hope Ben is wrong with his prediction. The only thing we have been having that it seems we can count on is extremes in the weather.

Bob H.
    enemyofNWO
    enemyofNWO

Post  enemyofNWO Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:08 pm

Blizzards, gale-force winds, heavy rain continue to descend across continental Australia, while Tasmania 'escapes' the cold

quote "
    The cold snap that brought blizzards, snow, gale-force winds and heavy rain across parts of continental Australia over the weekend is set to continue well into the week.

A major cold front has created a winter wonderland in parts of New South Wales, with good snow falls recorded in the Alpine region and a light dusting in the Central Tablelands.

However, what is shaping up to be a boon for the state's ski resorts created havoc on the roads as the school holidays ended, with two highways closed for a period on Sunday morning.

Meteorologists from the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said the low-pressure system, which was bringing the cold front and snow, was expected to last for most of the week ahead.

"Later in the week there is another upper-level trough moving through and there will be very cold air with that," BoM senior forecaster Neil Fraser said. "

Usually In OZ it snow only in Tasmania and in the Snowy Mountains ....Unusual event

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-12/blizzard-gale-winds-heavy-rain-descend-across-the-country/6613474

bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:04 pm

7/13/2015
    Winter is Coming: Scientist Says Sun Will Nod Off in 15 Years
    Posted: 07/13/2015 3:30 pm EDT Updated: 2 hours ago

Share 1170
    Tweet 112
    Comment 655

Share on Google+

Print

2015-07-13-1436815789-3594176-Game_of_thrones_Winter.jpg

Might want to start stockpiling those down jackets: The sun could nod off by 2030, triggering what scientists are describing as a “mini ice age.”

Professor Vlentina Zharkova of Northumbira University presented the frigid findings at the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno, Wales. Modern technology has made us able to predict solar cycles with much greater accuracy, and Zharkova’s model predicts that solar activity will drop by more than half between 2030 and 2040.

Solar activity was thought to be caused by a turbine-system of moving fluid within the sun. In search of a more accurate system of prediction, Professor Zharkova and her team discovered fluctuating magnetic waves in two layers of the sun. By studying the data of the dual waves, she says, predictions are far more precise.

“Combining both waves together and comparing to real data for the current solar cycle, we found that our predictions showed an accuracy of 97 percent,” said Zharkova, whose findings were published by the Royal Astronomic Society.

Using this method, she and her team discovered that there will be far less solar activity in sun cycles 25 and 26, leading to a prolonged period of solar dormancy

“In cycle 26, the two waves exactly mirror each other -- peaking at the same time but in opposite hemispheres of the Sun. Their interaction will be disruptive, or they will nearly cancel each other. We predict that this will lead to the properties of a ‘Maunder minimum’,” said Zharkova.

The Maunder Minimum is the title given to periods of time when sunspots are rare. It last occurred between 1645 and 1715, when roughly 50 sunspots were recorded, as opposed to the standard 40,000. That time was marked by brutal, river-freezing temperatures in Europe and North America
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:42 am

7/14/2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPqYfAHRPtk

This is for those who do not visit the daily posts regarding our sun.
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:45 am

Thank you, bobhardee, for this clear explanation. After reading your post, I feel that in a way we all may be possibly
    better off, with the sun falling asleep, at least for the moment. Haven't we been shaking all with the planet thoroughly by now?
    My vision is still kind of blurred due to it Wink In fact, shaking has happened on many levels of life, for many of us, when looking
    at the theatre-play with many scenes, on the global stage and shakes in many personal lives that I know of, of those around
    me and in my own. I can't say if those earth-changes are experienced mainly in one way, by many of us. It seems that we all
    have our own process of doing and being, through life, no matter what the circumstances are. For myself it's very clear that
    the last 4 years have been a marathon of some sort and that now, for me, it's time to breath out and let go of holding my breath,
    being in anxiety repeatedly. What an excersize! Luke

If I am right in understanding that Earthquakes are a result of planet Earth adjusting her mantle, her "cloth of many colors" , in order
    to prepare herself for the dawn of a new age or in less holy poly words: her moving on to another vibration, and the extreme waterfall
    in places that are not used to it or can hardly process that amount of it, is planet Earth's transformational work with the energy of
    water, just like in the lovely work by Emoto, with water, I would love to exchange the shaking for a period of cold and put on a woolly.
    Just the other day I found a shop with a kind of promotion display for the Falkland Islands. In the window, bags with raw merino wool
    were exposed, for sale. I so wished my spinning wheel was here! I am going to knit a large woolen plaid, or what it's called? The thing
    you can wrap yourself in, very simple of form and therefore so practical.

Specially with the rainy summer-days, so far here in Avalon area, sitting inside and knit, while listening to pleasant radio-programs,
    is a treat, combined with the view I have from where I am.(see my latest pictures in my b.b.b.l.a.s.works of art thread).

Your words:
    ....."I never thought I would be a fan of heat but have turned into such. Folks in the mountains complain when the temperature hits 88.
    Not sure how the log home will be this coming winter. So far this summer, it's not a energy efficient as I thought it would be, but I am
    still doing tons of maintenance to get systems to peak performance. I keep the temp on about 75 during the day and the heat pump
    gives us cool air and the house is comfortable. Not cold or cool but comfortable".

You are surprising at times, in the somewhat casual way you show your colors, bobhardee, as I perceive it. I am so happy for you to
    become a fan of heat, after that cold affecting your hands so badly. It's great to hear you're working on the home and make it a sustainable
    one. I'm sure, with the technical knowledge shared here by you, like about batteries and solar power systems, with time you'll make a
    thorough and great job of it Thubs Up You need good hands for that maintenance, isn't it?

bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:32 pm

8/8/2015
    Here is the July 2015 World summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C3_EouyqqA
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:03 am

bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:30 pm

9/28/2015

south-east Queensland: expert

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-27/queensland-sinkhole-unrelated-to-earthquake-activity-expert-says/6808294

Updated Sun at 7:14am
    Rainbow Beach sinkhole
    Photo: The sinkhole, now estimated to be about 200 metres wide, opened up just after 10:00pm on Saturday night. (Higgins Storm Chasing: Kieren Hudson)
    Related Story: Football-field-sized sinkhole swallows vehicles at campsite
    Map: Rainbow Beach 4581

Geoscientists have ruled out recent earthquake activity in southern Queensland as the cause of a massive sinkhole at Inskip Point near Fraser Island.
    Key points:

The sinkhole claimed 200 metres of beachfront
       A car, caravan and camper trailer were swallowed
       Geoscientist says earthquakes can cause sinkholes but not in this case

A caravan, camper trailer, and four-wheel-drive were swallowed up by the 150-metre-by-50-metre hole just after 10:00pm on Saturday night.

Geotechical engineer Allison Golsby said earthquakes could cause sinkholes but not in this instance.

"This area has a history where sinkholes occur regularly, it is something to do with the way sediments are formed and the way water moves through the Earth over millions of years or thousands of years," Ms Golsby said.

"Sinkholes are basically those cavities coming to the surface.

"An earthquake can trigger a sinkhole from a cavity but it has to basically happen on the day or in a very close time frame to the earthquake. In this case I don't see the link."

No-one was injured when the football-field-sized hole opened up, but 140 campers were moved out and the camping grounds were closed as a precaution.

"Our number one priority is just people's safety. We're trying to make sure the area is secured off," senior Queensland Parks and Wildlife ranger Dan Clifton said.

"It appears to have stabilised at this point, but we we're certainly keen to get some geothermological studies done and find out exactly what's going on and what the risk of further incidents are."
    GIF: Footage showing the destruction caused by the sinkhole

National Parks say the sinkhole has now grown from 100 to 200 metres in length since it appeared.

Local resident Michelle Hart said it was getting bigger by the hour.

"I just come up to have a look at the sinkhole see how big it was and pretty horrendous actually ... this one is huge compared to the last one — massive," she said.

Holiday-maker Casey Hughes told ABC the sinkhole "sounded like a thunder noise" as it opened up.

Media player: "Space" to play, "M" to mute, "left" and "right" to seek.
    Video: 'It sounded like thunder': Campers describe major sinkhole in Queensland (ABC News)

Fellow camper Sylvia Murray said "it was amazing to see".

"People were basically on the edge of it with their van, trying to madly get their vans out," she said.

Gympie Mayor Mick Curran said it was fortunate no-one was hurt, but encouraged holiday-makers not to be scared off by the sinkhole.

"It's always going to have an impact but the thing to remember is that it's certainly not a one-off, there was certainly a sinkhole down there a couple of years ago and if you have a look at the area of Inskip and the camping grounds in its entirety it does have minimal effect," he said.

"It's certainly only applicable to that northern end of the camp ground."
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:50 pm

bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:04 pm

10/11/2015

September 2015 report reviewing earth changing weather around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtKjsa0zXzI
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:17 am

10/29/2015
    Not sure I agree with everything said but the pictures speak for themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7Zl9Lbykk
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:17 am

A dramatic crack has suddenly formed in the foothills of Wyoming's Bighorn Mountains that measures an impressive 750 yards long and 50 yards wide. It was discovered recently by surprised backcountry hunters who travel frequently to the area in search of game. First reported by SNS Outfitter & Guides, a hunting company, on their Facebook page, the mammoth chasm appeared over the course of just a couple of weeks. It's an impressive example of just how quickly very large geological events can occur under the right conditions.

Extreme Weather and other Earth Changes Report for 2015 Crack.jpg.838x0_q80

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:28 am

11/8/2015

This film was dated back a couple years, but is still relevant today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XNfEEjclS4
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:34 pm

11/13/2015
    The ozone hole over Antarctica

The hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica is nearing record-breaking size again, scientists say. In fact, new observations show that the infamous "ozone hole" is currently larger than the entire continent of North America.

Researchers at the German Aerospace Center are using Earth-observing satellites to monitor the protective ozone layer and recently reported that a large, nearly circular hole over Antarctica extends over an area measuring 26 million square km (10 million square miles).

Losing part of the ozone layer over Antarctica is an annual phenomenon, but for the past nine years, the ozone hole has been consistently smaller than the record-breaking 27 -million-square-km (10.4 million square miles) ozone hole measured in 2006, according to annual records from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. Scientists thought the apparent stabilization indicated that the ozone layer was recovering very gradually. But this year's ozone hole surprised them because it formed a whole month later in the year than the ozone hole typically forms, and its size is almost record-breaking. [Top 10 Ways to Destroy Earth]

"In August 2015, we observed an unusually strong southern flow, which directs warm and ozone-rich air masses from lower latitudes over Antarctica," Michael Bittner, one of the researchers responsible for the World Data Center for Remote Sensing of the Atmosphere at the German Aerospace Center, said in a statement. "The typical polar vortex, which provides isolation for Antarctica, could not develop well under these conditions."

The ozone layer occurs at an altitude between 10 and 50 km (6 and 31 miles) above the Earth's surface, in the stratosphere, according to researchers at the German Aerospace Center. During the Southern Hemisphere's winter, the concentration of chlorofluorocarbons — nontoxic, nonflammable chemicals containing carbon, chlorine and fluorine that used to be used in products such as hair spray and refrigerators — increases due to lower temperatures, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

When spring comes to the Southern Hemisphere, the additional sunlight causes chlorofluorocarbons to create an ozone-depleting effect, the EPA website explained. The ozone hole reaches its annual maximum expansion during the spring months in the Southern Hemisphere and then reduces in size again during the local late spring.
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:24 pm

11/16/2015
    The Scott October monthly summary of global earth changes and extreme weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljecyqhun_0
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:39 pm

11/26/2015
    A road in California has geologist confused as to the cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rWyw7TpuTM
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:14 pm

11/28/2015

For the second time in three months, an Australian beach experienced a massive collapse, this one off the coast of Queensland leaving a hole measuring about 330 feet long by 330 feet wide.

The latest collapse is believed to have happened on Wednesday on an unpopulated section of North Stradbroke Island – the island is popular with tourists and fishermen. Surf Life Saving Queensland tweeted a photo of the hole and urged everyone to stay away because of the unpredictable and unstable nature of the currents.

Although SLSQ’s tweet initially called it a sinkhole, that’s probably not what this is. Stephen Fityus, a professor of geotechnical engineering at the University of Newcastle, told Mashable Australia this was likely a landslide caused by erosion.

Fityus said the same of a beach collapse in September at Inskip Point near Fraser Island in Queensland, which was found to have swallowed up a car and a camping trailer. At the time he wrote: “Unanticipated ground collapses occur around the world from time to time, and these generally get labelled ‘sinkholes,’ for want a more appropriate term.”

Related: Heartbreaking Photo Shows Devastation of Australian Wildlife

The professor told Mashable that erosion collapses like this are a natural part of how a beach repairs itself, and that people just need to be cautious of them.

“As with Inskip beach, I suspect that it’s in a location where there are longshore currents which variously deposit and erode sand on the submerged sand slopes beyond the beach,” he said. “Under the right conditions, if there is too much erosion at the toe of the slope, it becomes over-steep and loses stability, collapsing progressively back up to the surface.”
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:31 am

12/14/2015
    Highlights of the UN Climate summit

LE BOURGET, France (AP) — U.N. climate talks reached a milestone Saturday when more than 190 countries adopted the first accord asking all countries to join the fight against global warming.

Here are some of the key elements of the deal:

—LONG-TERM GOAL: The long-term objective of the agreement is to make sure global warming stays "well below" 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) and to "pursue efforts" to limit the temperature rise to 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit). Temperatures have already increased by about 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit) since pre-industrial times. To achieve that goal, governments pledged to stop the rise in heat-trapping greenhouse gas emissions "as soon as possible." By some point after 2050, the agreement says, man-made emissions should be reduced to a level that forests and oceans can absorb.

—EMISSIONS TARGETS: In order to reach the long-term goal, countries agreed to set national targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions every five years. More than 180 countries have already submitted targets for the first cycle beginning in 2020. Only developed countries are expected to slash their emissions in absolute terms; developing nations are "encouraged" to do so as their capabilities evolve over time. Until then, they are expected only to rein in the growth of emissions as their economies develop.

—REVIEWING TARGETS: The initial targets won't be enough to put the world on a path to meet the long-term temperature goal. So the agreement asks governments to review their targets in the next four years and see if they can "update" them. That doesn't require governments to deepen their cuts. But the hope is that it will be possible for them to do so if renewable energy sources become more affordable and effective.

—TRANSPARENCY: There is no penalty for countries that miss their emissions targets. But the agreement has transparency rules to help encourage countries to actually do what they say they will do. That was one of the most difficult pieces to agree on, with China asking for softer requirements for developing countries. The agreement says all countries must report on their emissions and their efforts the reduce them. But it allows for some "flexibility" for developing countries that "need it."

—MONEY: The agreement says wealthy countries should continue to offer financial support to help poor countries reduce their emissions and adapt to climate change. It also encourages other countries to pitch in on a voluntary basis. That paves the way for emerging economies such as China to contribute, even though it doesn't require them to do so. Actual dollar amounts were kept out of the agreement itself, but wealthy nations had previously pledged to provide $100 billion annually in climate finance by 2020.

—LOSS AND DAMAGE: In a victory for small island nations threatened by rising seas, the agreement includes a section recognizing "loss and damage" associated with climate-related disasters. The U.S. long objected to addressing the issue in the agreement, worried that it would lead to claims of compensation for damage caused by extreme weather events. In the end, the issue was included, but a footnote specifically stated that loss and damage does not involve liability or compensation.
    bobhardee
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:50 pm

12/16/2015

The Scott report of world wide weather extreme during the month of November 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjecH258RNs

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:59 pm