tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES

mudra
    mudra

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Empty LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES

Post  mudra Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:46 pm

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Large_9780789320278

Description

A hip, eco-friendly guide with fun and easy projects for all levels. Eating locally has so many benefits--for the planet, for your health, and for your tastebuds--and you can't get much more local than your very own backyard. But is planting a garden too big a commitment? Then this book is for you. "A Little Piece of Earth" is all about starting small, with more than fifty self-contained, doable projects. Whether you have a yard, a terrace, a rooftop, or just a windowsill, there are plenty of ideas and inspirations to choose from. Harvest your own precious vanilla pods from a pot indoors. Grow savory shiitakes on a small log in your kitchen. Build a miniature vineyard trellis on your deck or build a raised bed on your patio. Recipes for using your homegrown bounty are sprinkled throughout. Charming illustrations guide you through step-by-step, and there's a complete resources section. This is about making dirt work for you, taking some control over your food supply, and, most important, enriching your life with the quiet, simple pleasures of produce raised organically with your own hands.

read on: Arrow http://touchwoodbooks.co.nz/products/756036?barcode=9780789320278&title=LITTLEPIECEOFEARTHHOWTOGROWYOUROWNFOODINSMALLSPACES

Love Always
    mudra
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Empty Re: LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES

Post  B.B.Baghor Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Thank you, that's a beautiful book, mudra  flower I've bookmarked that website for a later order. I've dedicated most of this
    Easter time to the plants and my garden at home and in the Garden of Eden, my vegetable patch. On a 5 hours bicycle ride, I've
    enjoyed lots of springflowers and blossom trees. Also crazy jumping lambs and goatkids, which almost kept me for hours, laughing!

From (Adam:) Guus, the owner of the Garden of Eden, I've learned quite a bit about edible plants and more. Here's a selection of
    them, that I've learned to harvest and eat, regularly, since the start of last year. It's wise to use small amounts, when starting
    to eat wild edible plants and build up from there. Your digestive system needs to get used to the vitality of wild plants, the "boost"
    can be a bit disturbing. The amount you need is smaller than the non-organic grown vegetables. Never overdue it and when in doubt,
    please check a herbal determination book. You will notice that in time, you're growing an awareness of plantlife that is lovely.
    You will begin to notice details and vibrations, when being more with the natural plantworld. It's rewarding  Cheerful

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Images15
    Stinging Nettle                                  Urtica dioica                                    Große Brennessel                   Grote brandnetel
    The (top) leaves are only edible when prepared in heat, in soup too. I like to prepare them with onions, spread the washed nettle
    out on top of them, with a bit of water, letting them simmer for about 10 minutes, under a lid. I eat nettles almost every day now,
    in my warm meal. The amount I choose is what I can hold loosely in one half closed hand. It's a matter of experimenting, I guess,
    The seeds are edible too and provide for a good quality omaga 3, eaten raw or roasted a bit, for a nutty flavor. Nettle is diuretic,
    it's working on the fluids in your body, eliminating them faster. I've noticed this a bit, not too much of a bother. Nettle provides for
    iron, it's a great early springtime strengthener when tiredness sets in end of winter. Nettle tea is an easy way to benefit of this
    great nutritious and medicinal plant, with so many usable parts.

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Zevenb10
    Ground Elder                                     Aegopodium podagraria                     Zaun-Giersch                          Zevenblad  
    The leaves can be prepared in pesto and also eaten raw as salad. I've cut them fine and mixed them with peanutbutter, miso,
    garlic, lemon juice, a bit of honey and cooked cooled water, making a sandwich spread. Due to a sober choice of food, I try to
    make a variety of sandwich spreads with peanut butter and tahin (sesamseedbutter) as a base and work magic with all kind of
    ingredients mixed in them. Try concentrated applesyrup for once in peanutbutter, use your imagination and taste buds  Wink

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Catchw10
    Catchweed/Cleavers                          Aalium aparine                                   Klettenlabkraut                        Kleefkruid
    This wild plant is still new to me, today I found a lot of Catchweed in a clean space and I'm going to eat it a bit, raw.
    The feeling in your mouth is peculiar, for it's a plant that sticks to your clothes and does that a bit to your tongue too  Lolerz

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Fluite10
    Cow Parsley                                      Anthriscus sylvestris                            Wiesen Kerbel                         Fluitekruid
    The young leafy greens are edible raw. In old times they were prepared with omelets. Determination is important, for
    the plant is similar to other plants that are toxic.

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Kbijvo10
    Mugwort                                           Artemisia vulgaris                                  Gemeiner Beifuß                    Bijvoet
    The  dried plant is known and used for tea and often mixed with other "womenherbs" that strengthens the body. Mugwort
    leaves can be eaten raw. It's a great blood cleanser, removing toxins. Its bitter taste is a promise for a liver activation.  
    All food that tastes bitter is an activation for the liver.

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Blauw_10
    Italian small Grape hyacinth                Muscari botryoides                  Kleine Traubenhyazinth               Blauw druifje
    Italian small rape hyacinth is edible. Not to be mistaken for hycinths. The flowers of Muscari botryoides, for instance, have a
    sour, slightly grapey taste. Their flowers can be blue, pink or white, like the cultivar “Album,” (white). When eaten, the flowers
    may leave behind a bitter aftertaste, so they're not to everyone’s liking. The leaves can be eaten more easily, in salads.
    The Roman soldiers used to grow them in their camps, for welcome vitamins and colorful decoration of the place. They still
    show up in blue, where Roman camps used to be.

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Pursla10
    Purslane/Duckweed                              Portulaca oleracea                   Portulak                                   Postelein
    Purslane is a succulent annual trailing plant that grows in many countries because it thrives in poor soil. It can be eaten as
    a cooked vegetable and is great to use in salads, soups, stews or any dish you wish to sprinkle it over. Purslane is the top
    provider of vegetable sourced omega 3. The leaves are fleshy and spoon shaped.

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Naamlo13
    Wild wood Garlic                            Allium ursinum                       Blüte Bärlauch                          Daslook
    Eaten raw the leaves are at their most pungent and fiery, but they come into their own when cooked. In fact they are almost
    endlessly versatile: quickly blanched or wilted in olive oil they make a delicately garlicky alternative to spinach. The amount of
    raw leaves quickly gets smaller, when a portion is prepared, similar to what happens with spinach preparation, as you may know.

LITTLE PIECE OF EARTH HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD IN SMALL SPACES Dandel10
    Dandelion Taraxacum officinale Löwenzahn/Kuhblume/Pusteblume Paardebloem
    The leaves of the dandelion taste bitter, they're better used cut in small parts and added to other vegetables. Lots of minerals
    and vit. C is present in them. It's a highly medicinal plant, with cleansing and diuretic abilities, as well as supporting the immune
    system.The roots can be easily dug up, cleaned and dried. It's a way to get rid of them, when they're not welcome in the garden.
    Dandelion leaves, flowers, and roots are all edible. They have a slightly bitter flavor that can be minimized by harvesting them in
    the fall or spring. Cooking cuts the bitter flavor as well, though the leaves make a great addition to raw salads. Dandelion is
    generally considered safe in food and medicinal levels. Some people may have allergic reactions to dandelion.

This edible plantlist is longer than I expected, I've had fun creating this post and learned some more cheers
    If it's welcome I will add more suggestions and know how, on wild edible plants. In the Garden of Eden is a walking library and
    experienced plantgrower, creating a seedbank with original species, free from any GMO and other chemical influence.
    I do hope some of you may benefit from this post. Just like the book, recommended by mudra, there's a world of herbal knowledge
    out there, on paper and in bits and bites. Enjoy happy hours in nature Thubs Up

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:01 pm