tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast  Empty Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast

Post  Carol Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:36 am

Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast  25C73AF300000578-0-image-a-29_1424278300269
    Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast 

• Niagara Falls has frozen over due to below freezing temperatures

• It will likely stay frozen too as temperatures are expected to get even colder on Thursday

• Almost the entire East Coast, including some parts of Florida, will experience below freezing temperatures on Thursday night 

• One friend reported that it was -37 degrees in Chicago this morning (most likely colder then the north pole)

Extreme winter weather has been causing problems for millions across the East Coast, but it has also made for some beautiful sights. Among those beautiful sights is Niagara Falls, which has now frozen over due to temperatures which dropped to 16F on Wednesday. And it looks like the popular tourist destination may stay frozen, as temperatures are expected to drop even lower come Thursday.

Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast  25C73DCD00000578-0-image-a-28_1424278300243

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2958849/Niagara-Falls-frozen-extreme-winter-weather-continues-East-Coast-going-colder.html#ixzz3SD2yqfY5 

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast  Empty Re: Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast

Post  Carol Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:43 am

BLAST: Coldest Temps Since Late-1800s in East... 
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/next-surge-of-arctic-air-to-fr/42424056

Latest Surge of Arctic Air to Freeze Eastern Half of US

'Life-threatening' Chill Hits South...

4,750 square miles of Great Lakes freezes overnight...

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/02/arctic_blast_sends_great_lakes.html

The Great Lakes ice cover has grown over 5 percent in the past 24 hours. That's about 4,750 square miles of ice overnight. At that pace of ice growth, the Great Lakes would be almost totally iced over in the next four days.

The blast of arctic cold tonight through Friday will certainly help ice continue to grow.

The cold will come with a 10 mph to 20 mph wind, which could temporarily break up and reduce some ice. But the light wind days in the next 10 days also look very cold. 

So it's going to be very interesting to watch the ice expand in the next few weeks.

From the bitter cold weather I'm expecting to head our way, combined with several days of light winds, I think we will surpass last year's total ice cover on the Great Lakes. In fact, I'm wondering if we could see the Great Lakes almost totally ice up by the end of February.

Here's how each lake stacks up against last year at this time:
    Lake Superior 88.8% now - 90.9% last Feb. 17
    Lake Michigan 56.9% now - 65.1% last Feb. 17
    Lake Huron 91.9% now - 92.7% last Feb. 17
    Lake Erie 95.5% now - 95.0% last Feb. 17
    Lake Ontario 78.5% now - 31.5% last Feb. 17

Notice the big surge in ice amount on Lake Ontario, which has over double the amount of ice from last year.

Lake Ontario ice nears record...

mudra
    mudra

Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast  Empty Re: Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast

Post  mudra Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:17 pm

This is a premiere to me to see these wonderful Niagara falls frozen like that .
    Quite beautiful.

We have had a very cold winter here in Belgium this year and it's not yet over.
    I am looking forward for the milder temperatures Spring usually bring.
    Sleeping with socks , a robe and a hot water bottle these days Crazy Happy

Love from me
    mudra
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:47 pm

Beautiful, Carol. Amazing images of these falls, never seen this before! Looks like giant animals suddenly frozen motionless.
    Hope you're not enduring this extreme freezing cold for too long, Carol, where you live. Or are you in Hawaii now?
    In Holland it's a very mild winter, just a thin layer of ice in the lakes, now and than, snowbells and crocusses are in bloom.

Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast  Winter11
    Only 2 days of snow so far, in Holland
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 pm

It's nice to be back home in warm Hawaii. We picked a bunch of bananas off the banana tree, replanted the raised pineapple beds and pick papayas of the papaya tree all year round. The blossoms are the fruit trees this year are astonishing. Orange, lemon, macadamia nut, mango, avocado, Australian plum (about the size of cherries). I have some new lilac (passion fruit seeds) sprouting and was going to do up some spinach planter boxes. We still have about 40 chickens so each day is like Easter hunting for where they lay them as the hens like to move around at times. Sometimes we find a nest under the wheel barrow, in boxes, the cat's covered area, in the chicken tractors and so forth. So it's fun looking for them. My next door neighbor grows tilapia fish in her pond. We were talking about setting up an aquaponics system soon. There is always lots to do including pulling weeds all year round. We actually harvested honey from the hive last month and got about 20 or so jars. Making the land self-sustainable is the goal and it's fun watching the fruit trees set fruit too. Yes, I'm happy to live here especially in winter time.

B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:12 am

Carol wrote:It's nice to be back home in warm Hawaii. We picked a bunch of bananas off the banana tree, replanted the raised pineapple beds and pick papayas of the papaya tree all year round. The blossoms are the fruit trees this year are astonishing. Orange, lemon, macadamia nut, mango, avocado, Australian plum (about the size of cherries). I have some new lilac (passion fruit seeds) sprouting and was going to do up some spinach planter boxes. We still have about 40 chickens so each day is like Easter hunting for where they lay them as the hens like to move around at times. Sometimes we find a nest under the wheel barrow, in boxes, the cat's covered area, in the chicken tractors and so forth. So it's fun looking for them. My next door neighbor grows tilapia fish in her pond. We were talking about setting up an aquaponics system soon. There is always lots to do including pulling weeds all year round. We actually harvested honey from the hive last month and got about 20 or so jars. Making the land self-sustainable is the goal and it's fun watching the fruit trees set fruit too. Yes, I'm happy to live here especially in winter time.

That sounds great, Carol, the way you live with the land and the animals. It's inspiring!
    And such wealth of fruition, with that climate! I love to live in such a way, living off the
    land and see it all develop and thrive. After my move to the UK this life will be possible,
    although in Devon style, weatherwise. I'm having fun, in the excitement of anticipation Wink
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:08 am

Niagara Falls has frozen over as extreme winter weather continues across the East Coast  B-IGaRgCcAAEsrm

'Ice volcano' forms at New York state park

CASTILE, N.Y. (AP) - The arctic conditions have turned a fountain at a state park in western New York into a five-story-tall "ice volcano." The pressure-fed fountain is in a pond near the Glen Iris Inn at Letchworth State Park, which straddles the Wyoming-Livingston county line 40 miles south of Rochester. Days of subzero temperatures have formed a solid cone of ice several feet thick with water still spouting out of the top. Park officials tell local media that the formation dubbed an ice volcano is at least 50 feet high.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/28150041/ice-volcano

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 am