tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

28 MILLION IN BLIZZARD ZONE

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

28 MILLION IN BLIZZARD ZONE Empty 28 MILLION IN BLIZZARD ZONE

Post  Carol Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:22 pm

NEW YORK (CBS Connecticut/AP) — The Philadelphia-to-Boston corridor of more than 35 million people began shutting down and bundling up Monday against a potentially history-making storm that could unload a paralyzing 1 to 3 feet of snow.

More than 5,000 flights in and out of the Northeast were canceled, and many of them may not take off again until Wednesday. Schools and businesses let out early. And cities mobilized snowplows and salt spreaders to deal with a dangerously windy blast that could instantly make up for what has been a largely snow-free winter in the urban Northeast. 

Snow was already falling during the morning commute in several cities, including Philadelphia and New York, with Boston up next in the afternoon. Forecasters said the brunt of the storm would hit Monday evening and into Tuesday.

The Weather Channel reports that 28 million people are under blizzard warnings and an additional 11 million are under winter storm warnings.

All too aware that big snowstorms can make or break politicians, governors and mayors moved quickly to declare emergencies and order the shutdown of highways, streets and mass transit systems to prevent travelers from getting stranded and to enable plows and emergency vehicles to get through.

“You cannot underestimate this storm. It is not a regular storm,” New York Mayor Bill de Blasio warned in ordering city streets closed to all but emergency vehicles beginning at 11 p.m. “What you are going to see in a few hours is something that hits very hard and very fast.”

Boston is expected to get 2 to 3 feet, New York 1½ to 2 feet, and Philadelphia more than a foot. The National Weather Service issued a blizzard warning for a 250-mile swath of the region, meaning heavy, blowing snow and potential whiteout conditions.

In Hartford, Connecticut, Frank Kurzatkowski stopped for gas and said he also filled several five-gallon buckets of water at his home in case the power went out and his well pump failed.

“I’ve got gas cans filled for my snowblowers,” he said. “I have four-wheel-drive.”

Supermarkets and hardware stores did a brisk trade as light snow fell in New Jersey.

Nicole Coelho, 29, a nanny from Lyndhurst, New Jersey, was preparing to pick up her charges early from school and stocking up on macaroni and cheese, frozen pizzas and milk at a supermarket. She also was ready in case of a power outage.

“I’m going to make sure to charge up my cellphone, and I have a good book I haven’t gotten around to reading yet,” she said.
    New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie issued a state of emergency and asked commuters to stay off the roads.

“From the reports I’ve seen, you’ve all been to the supermarket. I don’t know why the rush on bread, but what the heck,” Christie joked.

About half of all flights out of New York’s LaGuardia Airport were called off Monday, and about 60 percent of flights heading into the airport were scratched. Boston’s Logan Airport said there would be no flights after 7 p.m. Monday. cont at link above

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

28 MILLION IN BLIZZARD ZONE Empty Re: 28 MILLION IN BLIZZARD ZONE

Post  Carol Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:03 pm

On the Drudge Report today, January 26, 2015

NYC, Boston ban road travel... 
    New Yorkers told to stay off sidewalks? 
    De Blasio Orders Indefinite Street Closure... 
    LIVE: TIMES SQUARE CAM... 
    6,000+ flights canceled...
    Grocery stores cleaned out... 
    CHRISTIE: Be Home By 9... 
    RADAR...SATELLITE...WINTER STORM STATEMENTS...CRISIS MAP...
    [url=http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ072&warncounty=NYC061&firewxzone=NYZ072&local_place1=New York]LATEST: NYC...[/url] BOSTON... PHILLY...
    Mayor Thanks Sharpton for 'Climate Change' Work...
    MEANWHILE: Denver 70 Degrees!

'Snowiest decade' on record... 

Meteorologist: 2010s officially the snowiest decade in the east coast in the NOAA record – surpassing the 1960s 

Meteorologist Joe D'Aleo: 'We will have had 14 major impact storms this decade (only half over) beating out the 10 in the 1960s and 2000s.'

Meanwhile, As the snow piles up, climate change activists are already blaming the blizzard on 'global warming': 

FLASHBACK NYT: 'The end of snow?'

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:08 pm