tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Former Occupy Wall Street activists start ‘Rolling Jubilee’ to buy up Americans’ personal debt

mudra
    mudra

Former Occupy Wall Street activists start ‘Rolling Jubilee’ to buy up Americans’ personal debt Empty Former Occupy Wall Street activists start ‘Rolling Jubilee’ to buy up Americans’ personal debt

Post  mudra Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:52 am

Former Occupy Wall Street activists start ‘Rolling Jubilee’ to buy up Americans’ personal debt

Former Occupy Wall Street activists start ‘Rolling Jubilee’ to buy up Americans’ personal debt Elderly-woman-via-Shutterstock-615x345

For a year and a half, 80-year-old Kentucky resident Shirley Logsdon received repeated calls from a debt collection agency over an unpaid medical bill.

Then one day, out of the blue, she received a letter saying the $983 debt had been handled — purchased by Rolling Jubilee, a group linked to the Occupy Wall Street movement.

“I was dumbfounded but delighted, of course,” Logsdon, who is retired along with her husband of 62 years, told AFP.

“We got a letter saying that everything had been resolved — finally it is over, you don’t have to worry, you don’t owe us anything. (…) I didn’t know these people. It was a godsend.”

So what is Rolling Jubilee? The group is an outfit launched just a year ago by former Occupy Wall Street members now grouped under the nationwide Strike Debt collective.

“Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will and collective refusal,” it says on its website, rollingjubilee.org.

The idea? Buy up the personal debt of those who are struggling to fulfill their basic needs, like health care or housing.

For the New York-based group’s first anniversary, it announced this month that in one fell swoop it had bought up the equivalent of nearly $13.5 million in medical debt that some 2,693 people owed to hospitals and medical offices.

The group purchased the debt for only $400,000 — mainly paid for by small donations made to the organization over the Internet.

In the United States, when a bill is not paid within 90 days, a bank can attempt to reduce its losses by selling the loan at a discounted price to professional debt buyers. These are then resold on a secondary debt market.

On its website, Rolling Jubilee says that “banks sell debt for pennies on the dollar on a shadowy speculative market of debt buyers who then turn around and try to collect the full amount from debtors.”

According to Strike Debt member Ann Larson, “for every dollar of debt we abolish, we paid only two cents.”

read on Arrow http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/01/former-occupy-wall-street-activists-start-rolling-jubilee-to-buy-up-americans-personal-debt/

Love Always
    mudra
    Sanicle
    Sanicle

Former Occupy Wall Street activists start ‘Rolling Jubilee’ to buy up Americans’ personal debt Empty Re: Former Occupy Wall Street activists start ‘Rolling Jubilee’ to buy up Americans’ personal debt

Post  Sanicle Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:29 am

Good on 'em. Who knew? Maybe others could do the same for their friends and relos now this little secret has come out. Wink 
    THEeXchanger
    THEeXchanger

Former Occupy Wall Street activists start ‘Rolling Jubilee’ to buy up Americans’ personal debt Empty Re: Former Occupy Wall Street activists start ‘Rolling Jubilee’ to buy up Americans’ personal debt

Post  THEeXchanger Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 am

http://www.thuban.spruz.com/forums/w/arecibo.html?page=post&id=EDC0F7DD-B40F-4A14-BA46-FDDCEBDAB7FF&fid=73202E8F-6404-4AB8-A825-FDDBD7D765EE

( i was sure, i'd posted this also on the mists - it seems that about 1,000 of my posts here disappearred ?)
    THEeXchanger
    THEeXchanger

Post  THEeXchanger Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:16 am

#RollingJubilee is a spark, not the solution. http://tinyurl.com/8uslw77 Phase 2 of the #jubilee is coming!

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 am