tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

TSA Airport Screenings Now Start Before You Arrive At the Airport

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

TSA Airport Screenings Now Start Before You Arrive At the Airport Empty TSA Airport Screenings Now Start Before You Arrive At the Airport

Post  Carol Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:00 pm

TSA Airport Screenings Now Start Before You Arrive At the Airport
    Tuesday October 22, 2013 @10:11AM
    from the we-call-this-the-might-fly-list dept.
    Bob the Super Hamste writes
    "The New York Times is reporting that the TSA is now doing background investigations on passengers before they arrive at the airport. The publicly stated reason for this is that it is to streamline the security procedures at airports allowing more passengers to receive less scrutiny while at the air port but this new authority allows the TSA additional information about each traveler. The prescreening that is being performed for domestic travel now uses a simiar standard to that of foreign individuals who where entering the US. The new measures go beyond what is used in the Secure Flight program and while light on details mentions that the passengers passport number will be used. The article does however point out the data sources that are available to the TSA to conduct these pre-screening with such as tax identification number, past travel itineraries, property records, physical characteristics, and law enforcement or intelligence information. Also mentioned is that individuals who do not have a passport will not be subjected to the rules and from my reading will not be eligible for lesser screening at that airport. The stated goal of this program is to have 25% of all airline passengers in the US receive lighter screening at the airport so that they don't have to take their shoes off, remove jackets, or remove laptops from bags. Additionally passengers who are in higher risk categories can receive additional screenings. Also mentioned is that all passengers are currently prescreened and that airlines are required to share your passport data with the TSA if they have it."

One thing I've noticed as a passenger is that the most dangerous-feeling aspect of flying right now seems to be the winding security line itself.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/10/22/1328256/tsa-airport-screenings-now-start-before-you-arrive-at-the-airport

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    TRANCOSO
    TRANCOSO

TSA Airport Screenings Now Start Before You Arrive At the Airport Empty Re: TSA Airport Screenings Now Start Before You Arrive At the Airport

Post  TRANCOSO Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:35 am

Why I will never return to the USA
    By: Niels Gerson Lohman
    9 October 2013

After a year of traveling, Dutch writer Niels Gerson Lohman wanted to visit New Orleans, the city that his father – who died a year ago – had a great love for. The U.S. customs officials thought different.

After a year of travelling, I had planned a last, short trip. I was going to take the train from Montreal to New Orleans. The travels I had been undertaking earlier this year had brought me to places that were meant to form the background of my second novel.

This trip, however was for my dad. He, a trumpet player, loved New Orleans and had died a year ago. It felt like the first sensible trip I undertook this year. I had been searching for ways to forget about the last hours at his deathbed. He had been ill for fifteen years and his body just would not give up. It was a violent sight. I had decided the trip to New Orleans would put an end to those memories.

Usually, I barely plan my trips in advance. But this time I had booked everything: my train tickets, hotels and my flight back to Montreal, from which I would depart back to Amsterdam. In total the trip was supposed to take three weeks. The confirmations and tickets I had printed and tucked away in a brown envelope I had bought especially for the trip. I like things to be neatly arranged. At home, in Amsterdam, my house enjoys a slight version of OCD.

The first part of the trip, from Montreal to New York, is known to be one of the world’s prettiest train routes. When we had just passed the sign ‘Welcome to the State of New York’, the train pulled over for a border check. I put the brown envelope on my lap. On top of the envelope I filled in my migration form with utmost dedication. I love border crossings. Forms don’t lie.

CONTINUE: http://dasmag.nl/why-i-will-never-return-to-the-usa/

study Beer 

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:36 am