tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Schizophrenia Diagnosis Associated With Progressive Brain Changes Among Adolescents

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Schizophrenia Diagnosis Associated With Progressive Brain Changes Among Adolescents Empty Schizophrenia Diagnosis Associated With Progressive Brain Changes Among Adolescents

Post  Carol Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Schizophrenia Diagnosis Associated With Progressive Brain Changes Among Adolescents
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120102180842.htm
    Jan. 3, 2012 — Adolescents diagnosed with schizophrenia and other psychoses appear to show greater decreases in gray matter volume and increases in cerebrospinal fluid in the frontal lobe compared to healthy adolescents without a diagnosis of psychosis, according to a report in the January issue of Archives of General Psychiatry, one of the JAMA/Archives journals. The authors performed magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain for 61 patients (25 diagnosed with schizophrenia, 16 with bipolar disorder and 20 with other psychoses) and 70 healthy control participants. MRI scans were conducted at study baseline and after two years of follow-up. Compared with control patients, those diagnosed with schizophrenia showed greater gray matter volume loss in the frontal lobe during the two-year follow-up. Patients with schizophrenia also showed cerebrospinal fluid increase in the left frontal lobe. Additionally, changes for total brain gray matter and left parietal gray matter were significantly different in patients with schizophrenia compared with patients in the control group. To develop therapeutic strategies to counteract these pathologic progressive brain changes, future studies should focus on their neurobiological underpinnings."

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    magamud
    magamud

Schizophrenia Diagnosis Associated With Progressive Brain Changes Among Adolescents Empty Re: Schizophrenia Diagnosis Associated With Progressive Brain Changes Among Adolescents

Post  magamud Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Where is a mans soul?

Paul Eslinger and his colleagues are using functional MRI to find the biological basis of selfless behavior.

http://www.rps.psu.edu/indepth/brainscans1.html

Psychopaths (sociopaths): White matter, unplugged
    http://neurologicalcorrelates.com/wordpress/2009/06/29/psychopaths-sociopaths-white-matter-unplugged/

The Neurobiology of Moral Behavior: Review and Neuropsychiatric Implications
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3163302/

Every human emotion now classified as a mental disorder in new psychiatric manual DSM-5
    http://www.infowars.com/psychiatry-goes-insane-every-human-emotion-now-classified-as-a-mental-disorder-in-new-psychiatric-manual-dsm-5/

devakas
    devakas

Schizophrenia Diagnosis Associated With Progressive Brain Changes Among Adolescents Empty Re: Schizophrenia Diagnosis Associated With Progressive Brain Changes Among Adolescents

Post  devakas Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:02 pm

magamud wrote:Where is a mans soul?

for materialist never will be disclosed...

maybe authorized only to study neurobiology as below:

Paul Eslinger and his colleagues are using functional MRI to find the biological basis of selfless behavior.

http://www.rps.psu.edu/indepth/brainscans1.html

Psychopaths (sociopaths): White matter, unplugged
    http://neurologicalcorrelates.com/wordpress/2009/06/29/psychopaths-sociopaths-white-matter-unplugged/

The Neurobiology of Moral Behavior: Review and Neuropsychiatric Implications
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3163302/

Every human emotion now classified as a mental disorder in new psychiatric manual DSM-5
    http://www.infowars.com/psychiatry-goes-insane-every-human-emotion-now-classified-as-a-mental-disorder-in-new-psychiatric-manual-dsm-5/

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:47 pm

There is a huge difference between some definition in a psychiatric manual and medical condition based on scientific facts pertaining to brain anomaly function. I've watched the definitions change in the DSM !! through now and wasn't in agreement even back in the 80s. However, SPECT scans are tangible. What I liked best about Dr. Amen's work was how once the condition of the brain was identified many psychological problems would be cured.

However, a psychopath/sociopath is different. I have an 70 year old sociopath elder brother who hasn't changed since he was a teenager. My younger sister incurred brain damage as an infant. My younger brother had polio. Growing up in a household were various siblings underwent a variety of life challenges taught me a lot about how difficult things can become and how to overcome various challenges to still have a fulfilling life. Putting labels on some behaviors helps to identify what is needed in terms of treatment for those who seek it and wish to change their life. However, a disability is not always a liability. My younger brother overcame his polio. My vulnerable adult sister travels and gets around a whole lot more then I ever did. And my sociopathic brother is fairly content with his life, irrespective of how miserable he can make life for others. A life of denial works for him. The bottom line is that each soul is courageous just by incarnating and taking on the challenges of a human life. The sibling who is the most spiritual is the one who had the most physical pain to live with. The sibling who is most adventurous is the one who is mentally disabled. The children who are most courageous are the ones who are schizophrenic because they have to live with what is presented to them from within each moment of their conscious life. It is not for us to judge the life path a soul chooses for it's own individual growth and development. All we can do is cheer them on and let them know they're doing a good job of moving through life gathering experience for the collective to learn from and hopefully grow in compassion..

magamud
    magamud

Post  magamud Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Where is a mans soul?

for materialist never will be disclosed...

maybe authorized only to study neurobiology as below:

This is true Devakas, but I would not say never...
    magamud
    magamud

Post  magamud Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:04 am

Carol I acknowledge your expertise in this field and tell you this.

Its a catch 22 with venturing out of "mind" you point to. How does metaphysics and science work?

I believe schizophrenia balances out our vision of reality today. That is their behaviors are a consequence of our societies knowledge. Same as pain to the body.

So if one does not venture out he will not know consciousness, but if he does hes in danger of losing his mind. This is because todays time its very dangerous to do this, with no support and limited resources to develop oneself. Now I would even tell you that you are indeed fighting a collective conscious unconscious defensive system. That is in what I say. Triggering of emotions to produce a fight or flight response to repel from reality.

Now, if this is just a biological issue with you, I beg your pardon. I thought you could talk metaphysics...
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:57 am

You've touched upon the crux of the matter here magamud. It's all of the above. Which comes first - a medical condition - a medical pre-condition related to genetics - a psychological condition as a result of some type of emotional or physical trauma - a psychological conditon as a result of illness (for example brain inflamation) - a psychological condition as a result of drug or alcohol abuse - a metaphysical/psychological condition as a result of an injury to head or near death experience - a metaphysical condition as result of a spontaneous out of body experience... the list is endless.

What I was focusing on is that some illnesses like schizophrenia have multiple over-lapping elements to it. Many of these people are in spiritual crisis because they don't have control over images (hallucinations) or negative thought patterns (inner voices). No one wakes up and says, "Hey, I think I'd like to be a schizophenic" in their conscious life. Nor do those individuals with impaired thought processes seek to have their mental/emotional difficulties. This is such a huge area of discussion that it is next to impossilbe to go into the various dynamics in a few sentences.

For myself personally - I just start with what someone presents in a session and work from there. Think of yourself standing in the center of a multi-faceted diamond. In each direction you turn in is a different perspective. Yet, who or where is the observor? Is it the person standing in the middle turning around to examine the different points of view? What about the diamond itself? Then there is the space that the diamond exists within. Everything is inter-related.

Don't you suppose that one of the goals of consciousness is to come to know itself? For the individual on a spiritual path there are many exercises that leads one toward self-discovery. Even accidents resulting in NDE or OBE leads one on a path of self-discovery. Drugs also can enhance one's experience of knowing oneself in an altered state of consciousness. Yet for someone who is schizophrenic - they are trapped. It's not like they decide "well enough is enough and I'm done with this." For many other folks there is a conscious decision involved, at some point along the way, to expand their own spiritual awareness. Some with mental imbalance seek the metaphysical as a means to understand their condition and often times in hopes of curing it - meaning bringing themselves to a point of balance.

However, speaking in terms of generalities is somewhat meaningless because all of us come to this topic with our own unique viewpoints. Our backgrounds are vastly different and it's very easy for misunderstanding to occur because of this.

Now we could venture forth and be very brave - speak of our own direct personal experience. Yet, even in the telling of our own personal stories there is an evolutionary process involved where each of us is on a different rung of the ladder and therefore, once again, our perspectives are varied.

I guess I need to know what is it that you want to know.

Yes, folks can lose their mind when things happen (chemical imbalance, taking drugs, genetic pre-dispositon, result of spiritual practice/kundalini opening, accidents, trauma, illness). And they can find themselves in the midst of this dark night of the soul or not. It depends upon the individual, what type of support system they have, if they are willing to seek help, do they want to change, etc.

Stepping into the personal - my first OBE was the result of an auto accident at age 18. My second OBE occurred while I was in the midst of practicing yoga at age 24. I was drawn to the meta-physical teachings as a teenager - discovered the Theosophical Library and proceeded to read my way through it at a very young age and then studied under various teachers and masters from India for a number of years before going back to college. Personally, I think my interest was based on past-life experiences. So I chose to study science after that so as to explain the meta-physical. It wasn't until quantom physics came along that understanding blossomed. Meaning what I knew from personal experience finally could be explained from a scientific perspective.. and when I went through my own dark night of the soul (after a kundalini awakening along with some other things) I really thought I was crazy. I later learned that a very sane person can feel crazy if living within a situation that is not in alignment with their own inner integrity. Fear can make one feel crazy. Illness (fevers) can make one crazy and hallucinate. Eating the wrong food and allergy reactions can make someone crazy. Unrelenting stress can make someone crazy. Jealousy can make someone crazy. So you see magamud. You may need to be a bit more specific and personal (use specific examples) if you want more of a dialogue in this area.

And the next issue is this. Are you the experiencer, the observor / witness, the teacher or the student?

magamud
    magamud

Post  magamud Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks for your story Carol.
    My point being that schizophrenics are trapped in the metaphysical world to balance out the ones that do not go there.

And your relativism to the subject is good.

In my experience working with schizophrenics, is to get them to focus on tangible reality, hierarchy of needs, daily living skills, etc...

So you can see the schism in our collective minds here. There is a balance....

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 am