tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

Putin lays out case for Kremlin return

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Putin lays out case for Kremlin return Empty Putin lays out case for Kremlin return

Post  Carol Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:56 am

(Reuters) - Prime Minister Vladimir Putin laid out his case for a return to Russia's top office in a televised interview on Monday, casting himself as the best guarantor of a bright future in a country haunted by upheaval in the recent past. Putin also offered hints of the foreign policy he might pursue during his presidency, saying Russia will not "put on the mantle of some superpower" and punch above its weight, but warning that it would fiercely defend its interests.

In some of his most extensive comments since he revealed plans to reclaim the Kremlin in a March vote, Putin, who could serve two six-year presidential terms, made clear he intends to stay in power until he feels his job is done.

"When I take something on, I try to take it to its logical conclusion, or at least to the maximum effect," he said.

"It's not the number of terms or years in power" that matters, said Putin, who was president from 2000-2008. He invoked the late U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who died during his fourth term, to support his case.

Read more at link above...

Personal note: Anyone following what Putin has been doing these past years would know this was his plan from the onset of his first Presidency. These days I wouldn't mind having Bill Clinton back in office. At least he knew how to be a leader and could speak well even if he did have a slippery zipper.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:55 am