tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Noctilucent Clouds

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Noctilucent Clouds  Empty Noctilucent Clouds

Post  Carol Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Noctilucent Clouds  Steven-Rosenow1_strip
    NLCs INVADE THE USA: Last night, a bank of rippling electric-blue noctilucent clouds spilled across the Canadian border into the lower United States. In doing so, the clouds made their farthest excursion of the year away from the Arctic, their usual environment. "These were the most brilliant NLCs I have ever witnessed!" reports Steven Rosenow, who sends this picture from Washington state: "I took my camera to a spot along Washington's Hood Canal for a panoramic view," says Rosenow. "It was a visually stunning display that stretched as far as the eye could see." NLC reports are also coming in from Oregon, Montana, South Dakota, and Minnesota, and in Europe as far south as Belgium and France. (Stay tuned for updates.)

Back in the 19th century, these mysterious clouds were confined to polar regions. In recent years, however, NLCs have spread toward the equator, appearing in places such as Utah, Colorado, and perhaps even Virginia. Is this a sign of climate change? Some researchers think so. Sky watchers at all latitudes are encouraged to be alert for electric blue just after sunset or before sunrise; observing tips may be found in the 2011 NLC gallery.

SOUTHERN AURORA WATCH: NOAA forecasters estimate a 35% - 40% chance of mild geomagnetic activity on July 2nd when a solar wind stream is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. High-latitude sky watchers, particularly those in the winter-dark southern hemisphere, should be alert for auroras.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    monique
    monique

Noctilucent Clouds  Empty Re: Noctilucent Clouds

Post  monique Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:56 pm

carol, beautiful and frightening.
    thank you for the information - monique.
    Mercuriel
    Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Noctilucent Clouds  Empty Re: Noctilucent Clouds

Post  Mercuriel Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:16 am

Massive Noctilucent Clouds where I am right now.

Yep I took Pics too that I'll upload when I get home later today.

Location - North of the 56th Parallel...

Peace, Light, Love, Harmony and Unity...

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:49 pm