tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists

HigherLove
    HigherLove

17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists  Empty 17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists

Post  HigherLove Wed May 25, 2011 8:09 am

17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists
    'Indiana Jones is old school, we've moved on from Indy ... sorry, Harrison Ford'

17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists  11052510

Seventeen lost pyramids are believed to have been found in Egypt by a team of space archaeologists from Alabama, according to a report.

Sarah Parcak and her team at a NASA-sponsored laboratory at the University of Alabama at Birmingham made the discoveries using a satellite survey, and also found more than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements in infrared images that show up buildings underground, BBC News reported.

The BBC said that two of the suspected pyramids had been confirmed by initial excavations.

"We were very intensely doing this research for over a year. I could see the data as it was emerging, but for me the 'aha' moment was when I could step back and look at everything that we'd found, and I couldn't believe we could locate so many sites all over Egypt," Parcak said.

She said it was likely that more buildings would be found.

"These are just the sites [close to] the surface. There are many thousands of additional sites that the Nile has covered over with silt. This is just the beginning of this kind of work," Parcak told the BBC.

"It just shows us how easy it is to underestimate both the size and scale of past human settlements," she added.

MORE: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43164447/ns/technology_and_science-science

Sanicle
    Sanicle

17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists  Empty Re: 17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt by space scientists

Post  Sanicle Wed May 25, 2011 9:13 am

Loving the sound of this. Let's hope Egypt is still around and it's all not lost with the earth changes, and we are all still around when the excavations are done to see what's uncovered. Unplundered pyramids. Brilliant! cheers

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:28 am