tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

4 posters

10 Skills Needed To Thrive In A Post-Collapse World

mudra
    mudra

10 Skills Needed To Thrive In A Post-Collapse World Empty 10 Skills Needed To Thrive In A Post-Collapse World

Post  mudra Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:48 am

10 Skills Needed To Thrive In A Post-Collapse World

By Jeffrey Green

01 December, 2010

Knowledge is something that no one can take from you. It’s the eternal wealth that will help you thrive in a Post-Collapse world.

Some experts see the perfect storm emerging for a dramatic collapse of Western civilization claiming we’ve reached environmental, economic, and geopolitical tipping points. Clearly, some skills will be far more valuable than others if this societal breakdown occurs. Sorry bankers, lawyers, and accountants, there won’t be a need for you in a post-collapse world.

Before we quantify the skill sets that will be viable, it is important to define the severity of a “post-collapse” scenario. When taken as a whole, together these tipping points could potentially converge to create a post-apocalyptic Mad Max-type world for the vast majority of humanity. However, given the advanced technology that we possess today, it is unlikely to ever become quite that primitive ever again. Surely there will be pockets of energy and food independence no matter what possible scenario unfolds, but the vast majority may be left to fend for themselves.

It would take a serious cataclysmic earth event like a super volcano, a meteor impact, major electromagnetic pulse event, or dramatic pole shift to affect the entirety of humanity. Man-made events like nuclear war, environmental damage, or total economic collapse, no matter how devastating, will be somewhat isolated and contained to specific areas and populations. Incidentally, every nation or territory that has experienced these man-made catastrophes has roared back to life in less than one generation. The only example of nuclear survival was in Japan, while the largest recent economic collapse was the break-up of the Soviet Union. In both cases those countries went through a very tough period, but ultimately they persevered.

For sake of this article, let’s assume that some level of devastation is caused by each type of tipping point in the United States. Our ever escalating wars finally reach our shores by way of long-range nuclear missiles, total economic collapse occurs rendering the dollar worthless, and we would likely have less electricity and water than Iraq did after Bush’s “shock and awe” campaign. Gasoline and oil supplies would likely be down to a trickle, halting all supply lines of food and other goods to big box stores. Factory farming will be impossible without cheap oil products readily available. The suffering will be dramatic.

Arrow http://f4fs.org/10-skills-needed-to-thrive-in-a-post-collapse-world/

Love Always
    mudra

Last edited by mudra on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
    eMonkey
    eMonkey

10 Skills Needed To Thrive In A Post-Collapse World Empty Re: 10 Skills Needed To Thrive In A Post-Collapse World

Post  eMonkey Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 am

You missed one

11. Buying/Selling Gold and Silver

Only joking.
    Crazy Happy Hmmm Crybaby

Nice list, I agree, though perhaps not with the order of the list.

I would like to see the following added in to either the current categories or new ones, as follows;
    1. Tool making, for there are not enough hand powered tools to go around.
    2. Blacksmith to help make the tools
    3. Tanning, weaving and clothing. For without clothes and shoes we are naked.

At this level of skillset, we would be back to victorian times, pre WWI. At least then, they had plenty of coal mining to spur development along.
    mudra
    mudra

10 Skills Needed To Thrive In A Post-Collapse World Empty Re: 10 Skills Needed To Thrive In A Post-Collapse World

Post  mudra Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:32 am

You made very good points eMonkey.
    I think I would love to develop each of these
    points in this thread so that everything is compiled
    in one place that people can add to it according to
    their knowledge and expertise .
    It can than be printed as reference material.

Thanks for your contribution cheers

Love Always
    mudra
    eMonkey
    eMonkey

Post  eMonkey Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:55 am

koowee

No probs.

Having been dragged up in the Midlands (UK), my aunts, uncles and grandparents were into trades extinct today and I often visited Museums that show off the industrial era's pre-war and what skill were needed.

Today, you can still see that way of life in the Black Country Museum. It has never escaped my mind.

Yow cor gerra way from it around Dudley, Tipton, West Bromwich and Wolverhampton.

So, fer now, Tarar a bit my ol'Mucker, arm just gewin fer a pint to wet me wassel then tek the yampy down the cut and see me oss.

orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:10 am

We should probably do all of those things right now - and try to prevent any sort of collapse - which I think would be planned and orchestrated by some very sick minds.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Organic gardening

How to Raise Organic Vegetables
    14 videos in a row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0bieMZHFAk&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=PLA2EC1BE241318894

How to Set Up a Low Maintenance Garden
    14 videos in a row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFta7aWXCdU&feature=channel

Gardening for the survivalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH8RE_Ccd9A&feature=related

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Learning about your local wild flowers is good. And connecting with nature as Mudra always rightly points out. But its probably more important to get your consciousness into shape.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:39 am

Floyd wrote:Learning about your local wild flowers is good. And connecting with nature as Mudra always rightly points out. But its probably more important to get your consciousness into shape.

Cultivating our inner garden and have Consciousness blossom therein will always bring us in harmonious mindfull connection to all that is .
    Thank You Floyd.

Sherashkin Speaks on Anastasia & The Ringing Cedars
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OIbnnZI--Y&feature=related

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:10 am

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:19 pm