tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Did somebody just try to buy the British government?

mudra
    mudra

Did somebody just try to buy the British government? Empty Did somebody just try to buy the British government?

Post  mudra Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:24 am

Did somebody just try to buy the British government?

By Charlie Stross

Hansard is the official printed transcript of the proceedings of the houses of parliament — in other words, the working log of the British government.

It is an authoritative primary source, and records every speech made in the House of Commons and the House of Lords. Interestingly, it also records words spoken under parliamentary privilege.

So when an eminent member of the House of Lords stands up six hours into a debate and blows the gaff on a shadowy foreign Foundation making a bid to buy the British state, and this is recorded in Hansard, one tends to sit up and take notice. And one takes even more notice when His Lordship tip-toes around actually naming the Foundation in question, especially after the throw-away about money-laundering for the IRA on behalf of the Bank of England. Parliamentary privilege only stretches so far, it seems, and Foundation X is beyond its reach. I'm going to quote at length below the cut — if you want to read the original, search for "1 Nov 2010 : Column 1538" which is where things begin to tip-toe into Robert Ludlum territory.

Article and links here : http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/11/conspiracy-theories.html

Love Always
    mudra

Last edited by mudra on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    mudra
    mudra

Did somebody just try to buy the British government? Empty Re: Did somebody just try to buy the British government?

Post  mudra Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:50 am

Tory peer hints at shadowy 'Foundation X', links to IRA money laundering
    By David Meyer, 3 November, 2010

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/communication-breakdown-10000030/tory-peer-hints-at-shadowy-foundation-x-links-to-ira-money-laundering-10020941/?

Here's a question: if a respected Tory fixer and peer carefully detailed an enormous and far-reaching conspiracy, what would the reaction of the public be?

That's what seems to have happened on Monday in the House of Lords, anyway: read from column 1538 in Hansard, the official record of such things. In that transcript, Lord James of Blackheath spells out how a shadowy 'Foundation X' offered to pay off the government's multi-billion-pound debts, with no strings attached. He goes into how he personally (and, apparently, proudly) laundered more than £1bn in IRA funds:

Foundation X was introduced to me 20 weeks ago last week by an eminent City firm, which is FSA controlled. Its chairman came to me and said, "We have this extraordinary request to assist in a major financial reconstruction. It is megabucks, but we need your help to assist us in understanding whether this business is legitimate". I had the biggest put down of my life from my noble friend Lord Strathclyde when I told him this story.

Love Always
    mudra

Last edited by mudra on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    mudra
    mudra

Did somebody just try to buy the British government? Empty Re: Did somebody just try to buy the British government?

Post  mudra Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:08 am

Conspiracy theory of the day, Foundation X edition
    NOV 3, 2010

Don’t believe for a minute that the likes of Rand Paul are bringing a whole new level of nutty to upper-house politics, in contrast to staid and boring countries like the UK. Via Joseph Cotterill and Charlie Stross, here’s an astonishing speech made in the Mother of Parliaments by David James, a/k/a Baron James of Blackheath.

After opening with reminiscences of seeing “Brigadoon” in the West End, James explains that:

Britain needs “investment in industry”, to the tune of about £5 billion.
    He’s going to “raise a subject that I should not raise and which is going to be one which I think is now time to put on a higher awareness”.
    There is “a strange organisation which wishes to make a great deal of money available to assist the recovery of the economy in this country”, which he refers to as Foundation X.

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2010/11/03/conspiracy-theory-of-the-day-foundation-x-edition/

Love Always
    mudra

Last edited by mudra on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:10 am

The strange case of Lord James and 'Foundation X'
    Lord James has claimed a mysterious gold bullion-backed body wants to invest £5bn in the UK – so what's the catch?

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 3 November 2010

It's quite the most extraordinary speech I think I've ever come across. It was given by Lord James of Blackheath, a respected industrialist and a former senior adviser to the Conservative party.

James was speaking in the Lords debate on the spending review. You might expect him to touch on the issue of government waste, which he is known for politically. Not a bit of it.

James's speech begins with Brigadoon, moves on to money laundering billions of pounds of terrorist money and ends with the claim that he has been contacted about a mysterious "Foundation X" that wishes to invest £5bn in the United Kingdom, with an extra £17bn for hospitals, schools and Crossrail by Christmas, and who have met with a cabinet minister to discuss their investment. Intriguing, isn't it?

So here's the skinny.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/03/strange-case-lord-james-foundation-x

Love Always
    mudra

Last edited by mudra on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anchor
    Anchor

Post  Anchor Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Google: Charlie Stross

I just bought some great Scifi books by Charlie Stross - I wonder if they are the same person?

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/fiction/faq.html

One of Charlie's books concerns an underground government department known as the laundry.

Lots of synchronicity here.

Caveat lector.

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Interesting John . Indeed it's the same guy .
    On the blog I took the top article from there is a
    link where he presents himself : http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/faq.html

Enjoy your readings Cheerful

Love from me
    mudra
    Anchor
    Anchor

Post  Anchor Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:17 pm

I checked hansard too - and read to the end of the debate. Lord Sassoon does acknowledge that the conversation took place, in a paragraph before that nights session closed. I am not saying that this is fiction - however what is interesting is that a fiction writer has zero'ed in on it so well (and in his sci-fi book the Atrocity Archives which I have already read, its all about a sort of British government black-ops group that work to cover up occult happenings/threats. (I did enjoy it, which is why I got some more!)

Perhaps Charlie's research into this "foundation X" will yield another fascinating plot line for a future book :)
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Foundation-X Speech by Lord James of Blackheath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVIBABFHgU0&feature=player_embedded#!

Love Always
    mudra

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Foundation X Update (Sky News with Lord Blackheath)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSJV64dOuLc&feature=related

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Treasury has 'decided not to pursue' £22bn Foundation X proposal
    By David Meyer, 6 November, 2010

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/communication-breakdown-10000030/treasury-has-decided-not-to-pursue-22bn-foundation-x-proposal-10020975/

Communication Breakdown
    Communications from the world of, er, communications. And other stuff.

The UK government will not take up the apparent offer of billions of interest-free pounds from a mysterious organisation called Foundation X, a Treasury spokesperson told ZDNet UK on Friday.

The existence of the offer was detailed on Monday in the House of Lords by Lord James of Blackheath, who said the foundation was willing to pump at least £22bn into government coffers by Christmas. According to the spokesperson, Treasury commercial secretary Lord Sassoon has "looked into Lord James of Blackheath's proposal, and has decided not to pursue the matter any further".

"At no point has Lord Sassoon, or any Treasury officials, held any meetings with Lord James of Blackheath or any organisation that he mentions on this subject," the spokesperson added.

Love Always
    mudra

Last edited by mudra on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
    investigator
    investigator

Post  investigator Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:42 pm

What I like about the big Mdog, the m and m, the mster, is he minds his own business, and never attacks anyone. Hehe I noticed you were maybe a little dissapointed no one replied, even though you were the first person to post this, so a bump for you Crazy Happy Crazy Happy .
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:12 am

Thank you Investigator.
    Actually Anchor commented on it Wink
    I found the material interesting enough to follow it through
    which I did and than it was over.
    I notice the thread has been visited though. I think there was just nothing else to
    say or add on the subject .

Love from me
    mudra

Current date/time is Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:07 pm