tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special Empty If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special

Post  Carol Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:05 pm

Do you ever get that feeling when listening to a great song that makes all the hairs on your arm stand on end?

Personally this writer can remember getting chills when listening to 'Whole Lotta Love' by Led Zeppelin on the number 9 bus from Stourbridge when he was 16.

Experiencing sensations like goose bumps or a lump in the throat when listening to music is quite rare and unique.

Matthew Sachs a former undergraduate at Harvard, last year studied individuals who get chills from music to see how this feeling was triggered.

The research examined 20 students, 10 of which admitted to experiencing the aforementioned feelings in relation to music and 10 that didn't and took brain scans of all of them all.

He discovered that those that had managed to make the emotional and physical attachment to music actually have different brain structures than those that don't.

The research showed that they tended to have a denser volume of fibres that connect their auditory cortex and areas that process emotions, meaning the two can communicate better.

Sachs's findings have been published on Oxford Academic but he is quoted by Neuroscience as saying:

The idea being that more fibers and increased efficiency between two regions means that you have more efficient processing between them.

This means if you do get chills from music you are more likely to have stronger and more intense emotions.

Plus these sensations can also be associated with memories linked to a certain song, which cannot be controlled in a laboratory setting.

Although the study was only small in size Sachs is currently conducting further research which will look at the brains activity when listening to songs that register certain reactions.

By doing so he hopes to learn what neurologically causes these reactions and could actually tap into treatment for psychological disorders.

Depression causes an inability to experience pleasure of everyday things.

You could use music with a therapist to explore feelings.

HT Neuroscience Quartz Oxford Academic
    https://www.indy100.com/article/music-goosebumps-some-people-science-research-emotions-psychology-study-harvard-7926781

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special Empty Re: If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special

Post  orthodoxymoron Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:08 pm

If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special 100_0345
    If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special Laughing-Buddha-Gold-Statue-Wallpaper
    "If music gives me an @#$%&*!! does that mean my !@#$!! is special??!!"
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special Empty Re: If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special

Post  Carol Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:14 am

Did you read the article? It means that "white matter connectivity between sensory processing areas in the superior temporal gyrus and emotional and social processing areas in the insula and medial prefrontal cortex explains individual differences in reward sensitivity to music." Pleasurable valuation of music is associated with increased functional connectivity in the brain between auditory cortices and mesolimbic reward circuitry" - people who consistently respond emotionally to aesthetic musical stimuli possess stronger white matter connectivity between auditory association regions in the posterior superior temporal gyrus (pSTG) and emotion and reward processing regions in the aIns and the mPFC." This means that your neural net pathways between different areas of the brain are at a higher functioning level then those who don't experience goose bumps. Individuals with higher functioning brains tend to be more creative and open-minded.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:33 am

If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special Mtchoirandorchestra_ConferenceCenter

I read the fine-print, and I thought it was astounding!! But as I read, I remembered a Roman-Catholic Organist telling me that making-music was a lot like making-love!! Then, my fallen and sinful human-nature brought-out the worst in me, and my monkey-mind created that simplistic and vulgar post, but it brought me a rare bit of joy!! Come to think of it, I knew a Ship-Captain who visited the Conference-Center next to the Mormon Tabernacle, and heard the new Pipe-Organ (shown above)!! He said that an organ-lover would experience an !@#$%!! Someone I know (who is in Europe), sent an image of the organ in the St. Bavo Chruch in Haarlem!! I saw it a couple of hours ago!! I find the music (in the video below) highly-exciting!! blue-roller told me that Bach had sex in the organ-loft!! I wonder how he knew that??!! A college-student told me that he saw a couple making-out while I practiced the pipe-organ!! A complete-stranger told me they had sex with their girlfriend in a Seattle cathedral!! An Episcopal Rector shared a fantasy with me of having sex with his wife at the altar of the church!! That gave me goosebumps!! Enough!! I get carried-away with my internet-modeling!! I'm not like this in real-life!!

If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special Butts-007-04152014

If music gives you goosebumps, your brain might be special Yt-eA8ftVVyB-g

Current date/time is Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:45 pm